Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

New Leaf posted:

The online quote thing where you upload your bill said it would drop it a ton. We're phone junkies but not data power-users. We're on like 2 gigs of shared data on Verizon and we've never come close to going over. Even with the basic 2-line family plan we're spending like $150 a month. Sprint claims they can do something like $58 before taxes and fees, which is insane. I didn't read all the fine print though.

Also, we're in NC, if it matters. Sprint coverage is pretty inclusive here.

You could go Cricket prepaid and be paying $35/Mo for unlimited talk/text and 2.5gb of data on AT&T's network. That's taxes and fees included. But that's getting into carrier talk, come to the prepaid thread if you wanna discuss.

As far as phones, the N6 and iPhone 6 are the best for moving from carrier to carrier.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This is one of those "either they pay for us to get out of our contract or we suffer until Jan 2016" things unfortunately, and I doubt Cricket has that sort of promotion running. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

New Leaf posted:

This is one of those "either they pay for us to get out of our contract or we suffer until Jan 2016" things unfortunately, and I doubt Cricket has that sort of promotion running. :(

The monthly savings will payback any ETF at an alarming rate. Come to the prepaid thread, we are really nice and stuff

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

The monthly savings will payback any ETF at an alarming rate. Come to the prepaid thread, we are really nice and stuff

Wisdom. Moving from AT&T postpaid ($50/mo on a dumb plan and dumb phone) to the T-Mo nerd plan for $30/mo has saved me $240 a year, which is about the cost of a decent phone off contract every 2 years.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

New Leaf posted:

T-Mobile will pay for any kind of termination fees or phone installment charges you have left if you switch to them. Basically, they will pay you to switch to them.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Variable_H posted:

T-Mobile will pay for any kind of termination fees or phone installment charges you have left if you switch to them. Basically, they will pay you to switch to them.

But not for a prepaid line.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Variable_H posted:

You need to trade in a phone (any junker will do if it powers on) and you need to buy a phone from them, which is okay too for most phones. Also requires a simple choice plan, not prepaid but reasonable.

mars
Apr 5, 2005
Hey guys, is there any known issue about battery being awful on 5.1?

I got the update sometime last week and my battery life tanked like crazy. It went from 100% to 15% in under 4 hours doing nothing, with google services using 43%.

I did a factory reset on Friday when I started having this issue and the phone was great all weekend, then this morning it went back to terrible.

Edit: Nexus 5

mars fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 24, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Say "OK Google" isn't disappearing from the search bar and its bugging me :arghfist: :spergin:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My new Moto G (2013) doesn't work at home with Trusted Locations, but my Nexus 4 does. They both think I'm at the same place in Maps, and the little house icon for "home" is close to where the "you are here" blue dot is. What gives?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Try setting another trusted location as 'my current location'

E: when you are at home that is..

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mars posted:

I got the update sometime last week and my battery life tanked like crazy. It went from 100% to 15% in under 4 hours doing nothing, with google services using 43%.

I did a factory reset on Friday when I started having this issue and the phone was great all weekend, then this morning it went back to terrible.
If anything my Nexus 5 is doing a lot better battery-wise on 5.1 than it ever did on 5.0.2.

Skarsnik posted:

Say "OK Google" isn't disappearing from the search bar and its bugging me :arghfist: :spergin:
I take it you've said it more than a few times?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah, it's since the update that brought on body detection along

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Try setting another trusted location as 'my current location'

E: when you are at home that is..

That worked, but ...why?

Also, the "on body" is great. Grocery shopping is significantly less hassle now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

That worked, but ...why?

'Home' isnt quite where you are, and maybe one phone is getting a higher accuracy lock would be my guess

E: and seconding on body detection, it's working surprisingly well

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 23, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mogomra posted:

I did end up buying the cable that I linked, and tested it with Ampere. The cable that came with my charger seemed to be maxing out at 1880mA, where this cable hit a max of 1900mA. I didn't do any averages or anything, but they seem pretty darn equal to me. The only question left is whether or not the cable holds up, or fries itself in a few days. For now, I'm happy with it.

Oh wow, this is fantastic, thanks.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

mars posted:

Oh I thought I was the only one

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mars posted:

What phone? My Nexus 6 is having no such issues on 5.1.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah, it's since the update that brought on body detection along
Holy poo poo, you're right. I noticed a hit of some kind but you're right that's when it started.

Mogomra posted:

I did end up buying the cable that I linked, and tested it with Ampere.
This is a neat little utility, thanks.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh I was talking about say OK Google not disappearing, I haven't noticed any battery issues myself

mars
Apr 5, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

What phone? My Nexus 6 is having no such issues on 5.1.

Nexus 5

Edit: I should say that this isn't some incrementally worse situation. The phone basically became unusable overnight with no changes made by.

mars fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 24, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Oh I was talking about say OK Google not disappearing, I haven't noticed any battery issues myself
Ah. I've noticed a slight difference this week to last. I chalked it up to having rebooted to apply some AdAway filters causing Play Services to run amok for a bit but the on-body detection makes a lot more sense. I use Nova so I haven't seen the "Say OK Google..." in my search bar.

It's odd that the two would have anything to do with each other though as one is a Play Services update and the Search update.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

Ah. I've noticed a slight difference this week to last. I chalked it up to having rebooted to apply some AdAway filters causing Play Services to run amok for a bit but the on-body detection makes a lot more sense. I use Nova so I haven't seen the "Say OK Google..." in my search bar.

It's odd that the two would have anything to do with each other though as one is a Play Services update and the Search update.

Pretty sure both got an update at the same time

It also coincided with me sticking a spare qi charger on my desk at work, so I don't really notice battery problems any more

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For those having problems with 5.1 on Nexus 5, this is because there's yet another memory leak for 5.1 for the Nexus 5. It's been fixed already internally at Google but there's no telling when it'll be put into a public release.

mars
Apr 5, 2005
Does that memory leak manifest itself as google services using 50% of my battery?

Because this seems like a problem with services rather than the OS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Pretty sure both got an update at the same time

It also coincided with me sticking a spare qi charger on my desk at work, so I don't really notice battery problems any more
There was about a week in between them for me as I updated one manually and let the other come naturally, but yeah I have a tough time with identifying battery problems too because everywhere I go there's a Tylt that I set my phone on.

mars posted:

Does that memory leak manifest itself as google services using 50% of my battery?

Because this seems like a problem with services rather than the OS.
I think it's Play Services and not the memory leak. A memory leak would manifest itself as apps getting closed by the system when they shouldn't so you'd see things like home screen redraws or a backgrounded audio app being closed or Chrome tabs needing to be reloaded when you go back to them. Stuff like that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Variable_H posted:

How does it work? Sprint's you have to pay the fees out of pocket, then sign up for Sprint and stay in good standing for 45 days, then they pay you back with Visa prepaid cards.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

New Leaf posted:

How does it work? Sprint's you have to pay the fees out of pocket, then sign up for Sprint and stay in good standing for 45 days, then they pay you back with Visa prepaid cards.

You trade in your current phone, port number in. When you get your bill with the ETFs and/or remaining balance of your device, take it to T-Mobile, and they cut you a check or issue prepaid cards for the amount your fees were up to like $650 per line. This is post paid Simple Choice plans though, prepaid need not apply for this stuff.

E: you can trade in any phone you want, even some junker that's been sitting in a drawer for years.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

LastInLine posted:

I think it's Play Services and not the memory leak. A memory leak would manifest itself as apps getting closed by the system when they shouldn't so you'd see things like home screen redraws or a backgrounded audio app being closed or Chrome tabs needing to be reloaded when you go back to them. Stuff like that.

I don't know about you guys but I'm definitely seeing this happen with audio apps since 5.1 on my Nexus 6.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I don't notice app memory issues or battery problems on my 6 with 5.1. Services usage % wise is higher than it should be on a normal day but isn't making a meaningful impact on my battery really. I've never had Google Music or Pocket Casts get thrown out memory in use on any device.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I lost my Nexus 4 (dropped it into a Danish harbor!) while on vacation. I was just going to get the Nexus 5, though that appears to be only available from Amazon. There's a 32 GB version for sale with 4G ($500) and without 4G in the US ($380). Is it a big deal whether I have this or not? I don't use much data as it is.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth the white Nexus 5 cracks in exactly the same way (both of mine cracked where the SIM goes in).

drat, I just checked my SIM slot after reading this, cracked both to the front and back of my black N5.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PinnacleOrBust posted:

drat, I just checked my SIM slot after reading this, cracked both to the front and back of my black N5.
Huh. Mine is cracked on the bottom of the slot towards the back.
Hadn't noticed that.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I'll definitely look at both of my housemates N5s to see if they're cracked too. One black and one red, should be interesting.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Another red cracked SIM slot checking in. Also, you might not want to check the headphone jack. Mine is cracked there as well.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So moral of the story is LG uses low(er) quality plastic in their products.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
Yup, my housemate's red N5 is cracked in exactly the same way as mine, at the bottom of the SIM slot to the screen and at the top of the SIM slot to the back.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PinnacleOrBust posted:

Yup, my housemate's red N5 is cracked in exactly the same way as mine, at the bottom of the SIM slot to the screen and at the top of the SIM slot to the back.
Same here, hadn't ever noticed. Thanks LG.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Same here, hadn't ever noticed. Thanks LG.

My red N5 is not. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lollipop did it