Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just added another K-series car to my collection :v: 07 FA5 (4-door 2007) Civic SI, Fiji Blue Pearl. Runs pretty nice, needs a handful of minor things, alignment, some minor paint repairs (rock chips), and brakes. Pretty stoked about it, it will be my daily for the forseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mainly it's because I pulled the windshield off my Midget, then found that the windshield frame was kinda hosed up in places, then decided to start prepping it for paint while I figure out the windshield.

I've found a guy with another frame to sell me, so hopefully I'll get that poo poo wrestled back together soon.

Still need to order those rubber pieces I forgot the first time around...

Ah right. Guess I haven't really kept up with your thread. It's all good, anyway; I've been too busy with school to do anything in the last month or so anyhow.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
drat, my Land Rover sold to someone who appears to speak using sentences and punctation, for the asking price - within a day of posting the advert!

I'm moving to the city centre soon so won't be able to keep it around any longer, and I could do with the cash to finance my move.

I know it's all rubbish until the cash is in hand, but i'm chuffed and gutted in equal measure. Bye bye first car.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I joined SA after I got into goon swarm in Eve Online. I don't play anymore (thanx b 2 god)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SFH1989 posted:

I also got rcman (:dmca:) to start posting. We've known each other since high school and were roommates in college.

Thank you, he was hilarious. I enjoyed watching him try to roll with the punches a whole lot when GBS savaged him.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

SFH1989 posted:

I learned about SA around 2005 when a friend sent me some Photoshop Phridays. Don't know why I waited so long to sign up for the forum. Then I found the best car and gun forums on the internet. I've met goons from each and everyone has seemed pretty normal. One TFR goon I met at an IDPA match and didn't even know until he posted something later in the week.

I also got rcman (:dmca:) to start posting. We've known each other since high school and were roommates in college.

Good news: I got an engineering job offer. Bad news: I have no desire to work there after talking to them and researching the company. They gave me the offer without even meeting me in person. It seems like a place that hires a bunch of people at one time because nobody stays for long. It's also a 60 mile drive one way and they didn't offer me nearly enough to deal with that or move.

I should hear back from the Navy by the middle of next week and I'm really anxious.

That sounds awful. From your tone, I take it, you're going to decline it. Maybe they'll offer you more if you do decline.

PaintVagrant posted:

Just added another K-series car to my collection :v: 07 FA5 (4-door 2007) Civic SI, Fiji Blue Pearl. Runs pretty nice, needs a handful of minor things, alignment, some minor paint repairs (rock chips), and brakes. Pretty stoked about it, it will be my daily for the forseeable future.

Congrats! I've never driven a Si or a more modern Civic. How are they? I rode in a new 2015 Civic which was....boring even when you pushed it a little.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

I know it's all rubbish until the cash is in hand, but i'm chuffed and gutted in equal measure. Bye bye first car.

Seems a shame but I can see why a landy isn't always a practical car to keep!
I have vowed to never sell either of mine. This means that they may spend a proportion of their futures rotting in my garden.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Seems a shame but I can see why a landy isn't always a practical car to keep!
I have vowed to never sell either of mine. This means that they may spend a proportion of their futures rotting in my garden.

I've had it for uhhh... a decade now perhaps? I love it but i've never actually done much offroading in it - I can't stand most of the Defender lot. I spent all my time pottering around Yorkshire and Gloucestershire C-roads in it :)

Oxford really, really hates cars!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I started lurking SA after a certain thread about a yellow mustang (jesus, how was that 7 years ago and its still a thing people remember) and only subbed to make fun of the serious business people in the eve thread. And so far, the only goon I've met irl is T1g4h while on my way back from texas around a year and a half ago. However I have met some other nerds from the internet irl, but T1g was definately the coolest. Need to get him drunk on scotch next time. :v:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I've met a few people off the Internet. Mostly ultra chill. My secret shame is hooking up with not one, but TWO girls from EverQuest.

One of which went fine. However the other was a colossal poo poo-storm that ended in me buying her a plane ticket home at the last minute and driving her to the airport in a raging blizzard because I needed to get the F5 tornado of crazy out of my life RIGHT NOW PACK YOUR poo poo WE'RE GOING NO I DON'T CARE IF WE DIE ON THE WAY.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Quite A Tool posted:

I've met a few people off the Internet. Mostly ultra chill. My secret shame is hooking up with not one, but TWO girls from EverQuest.

One of which went fine. However the other was a colossal poo poo-storm that ended in me buying her a plane ticket home at the last minute and driving her to the airport in a raging blizzard because I needed to get the F5 tornado of crazy out of my life RIGHT NOW PACK YOUR poo poo WE'RE GOING NO I DON'T CARE IF WE DIE ON THE WAY.
Im guessing the chill one was first.
LOL. Did you really expect something different? You beat the odds on the first one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's nearly 11pm and I've just turned the oven on and spun some dough for pizza. Contemplating a bottle of beer to go with it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

88h88 posted:

It's nearly 11pm and I've just turned the oven on and spun some dough for pizza. Contemplating a bottle of beer to go with it.

You can't make midnight pizza without beer. That isn't something to joke about.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Crossposting from the ev/dildocar thread.

I figured i would do a small write up of my two first week with the P85D. As i was on a trip with it this weekend going 710km up and down a mountain in temperatures going from +5 celcius to -9 i have sorta gotten a feel for how this thing handles winter.

First of all, the car feels very very good. Clearly the fastest car i have ever owned and the first new car i have ever purchased. The interior is decent but not great considering the price point, The new seats are fantastic tho. Some parts of the interior feels very premium, and other parts (like the visors) would feel more at home in a 1993 Mazda 323. Initially (the week after the testdrive while i waited for delivery) i was worried that i would have issues with the huge screen, having it fighting for attention. I even planned on putting velcro around it so i could cover it up. In use i have no such issues, the screen is great and having everything so freaking big makes using navigation much safer and glanceable. The car is roomy and had plenty of room for me, two three year olds and the wife with everything we needed for a weekend of skiing. This is especially impressive since the cage for the family dog takes up alot of room in the trunk. (i am not mean enough to put her in the frunk)

Exterior:
I like the looks, and they are growing on me, pearl white looks like poo poo after ten minutes on wet/dirty roads. The car is big, but my last car was a G500 so its not a problem. There is however a flaw with putting the rear camera where it sits, it gets covered in filth in no time flat and is unusable after an hour on wet winter roads. The filler cap placement for windscreen washer fluid is retarded, the only thing that saves me there is that we have washer fluid dispenser at work with a bent nozzles. If you are filling from a jug you are going to spill, and the fluid will end up in the frunk.

It being a EV:
The range is no problem. I charge it every day at work, and at home in the weekends. i rarely see anything less then 150km left. Having free tolls and parking feels like cheating. This weekend i drove home from work, and then up to Gol, a mountain skiing village. distance of circa 320km.When i got to Gol i charged at the supercharger while we did some shopping and grabbed some food. Charging was not a hassle, and we did not feel like we were waiting for the car to be done charging. I could tell that the battery life was somewhat degraded from the cold, but not to the point that i was worried. I did hook the car up to the 220v when it was parked outside the lodge, this meant that we had no need to stop for charging on the way home.

Handling and winter driving. My car sits on 21" Pirelli Sottozero winter tires in 245/35. For deep snow and slush these tires are to wide, but i drive very little on unplowed roads. On plowed roads and slippery wet roads the car handles like a champ. I have been spoiled by driving a german 4wd offroader so i have gotten some bad habits. But overall the car feels very safe to drive, and is easily as good as the wifes aging V70 for winter driving. Its a heavy car so you canīt act like a idiot in the corners,but the weight is very low to the ground.

I canīt wait to put the car on 21" turbines with the P-zeros our tire supplier at work gave me a deal on.

Caveat: I was offered to buy this car from the dealership after a customer backed out of the car, therefore i only had to wait a week for delivery, and that is also the reason i have 21" winter wheels. I love most of the options on the car, and they where the same as what i would have ordered, except the carbon fiber interior, carbon fiber spoiler and the winter wheels.

TL:DR
I like it, winter handling is great on everything but unplowed roads, but this is because of the silly size of the tires

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

You can't make midnight pizza without beer. That isn't something to joke about.

It's cool, huge pizza and a large bottle of Tsingtao while I watch the new Louis Theroux documentary about mental illness.

I feel that as a human being I've done pretty well this evening.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Any suggestions on a cheap ~$20 soldering iron? Almost got all the parts for my Nerf motor swap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Any suggestions on a cheap ~$20 soldering iron? Almost got all the parts for my Nerf motor swap.

It's a little (lot) bit extra but I love my $100 Hakko FX888.

In the $20 range I almost feel like a used Weller station would be a better idea than a new parts-store iron.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 24, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

There are some Chinese knockoffs of old Hakko stuff that, while not quite as wonderful and durable as the real deal- are still low-voltage stations and much better than a HV iron at about the same price point.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19240__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_USA_Warehouse_.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

There are some Chinese knockoffs of old Hakko stuff that, while not quite as wonderful and durable as the real deal- are still low-voltage stations and much better than a HV iron at about the same price point.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19240__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_USA_Warehouse_.html

Holy poo poo that's cheap!

That's not even on sale.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

That's perfect since I'll be ordering 3 other things from Hobby King anyways.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo that's cheap!

That's not even on sale.

Yeah. It was really, really hard to pull the trigger on my 888 when I knew these existed, but I abuse my electronics gear quite a bit so I figured the real thing's durability would wind up making it cheaper in the end.
Here's a guy talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0etU7mTwU

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 24, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I found a deal on a YiHUA 937D two or three years ago, and it's been serving me like a champ. There's an issue where the heating element can go out, but they include a spare with it, and after a few hundred hours I'm still on my original element. Think I paid, maybe, $35 or so off of Amazon?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

ilkhan posted:

Im guessing the chill one was first.
LOL. Did you really expect something different? You beat the odds on the first one.

I figured if it went so well the first time there was no reason to expect anything different.

The fact that she had a dude's name tattooed on her back should have thrown red flags, but I was young and trusted that it was indeed her ex-husband.

Turns out that she was taking one too many business trips to my area and he got my phone number. This was when I first got a cell phone and didn't think I needed to change my pass code from the last 4 digits. He made me a pleasant outgoing voice-mail message for clients and my mother to hear.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 24, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Quite A Tool posted:

I figured if it went so well the first time there was no reason to expect anything different.

The fact that she had a dude's name tattooed on her back should have thrown red flags, but I was young and trusted that it was indeed her ex-husband.

Turns out that she was taking one too many business trips to my area and he got my phone number. This was when I first got a cell phone and didn't think I needed to change my pass code from the last 4 digits. He made me a pleasant outgoing voice-mail message for clients and my mother to hear.
Very nice.
Yousa so smart.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

BraveUlysses posted:

I met mattdrinks about 7 or so years ago at an autocross and solarcoaster about a year ago at a awkward ' seattle North end' goonmeet

Haha, that's right! That was back when I had the MR-S which was like 10 cars ago. And at Boeing Everett back when they had events there. Didn't you let me borrow your compressed air because I let too much out of my tires? Thanks again for that :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So there's apparently a bunch of new "rules" at work.

As it turns out, the new manager we've been "training" has told the owner everything that she thinks is wrong. Both the GM and assistant manager have received massive rear end chewings.

No more music. Period. No headphones, no audible music. We usually had music playing in the back from the GM's Bluetooth speaker. The owner had a speaker system installed for the customer waiting area, and we're not allowed to change it from the Pandora station he selected (I'm pretty sure this falls into some illegal broadcasting bit of some sort).

No more employee discounts - we have to pay full price, minus whatever coupons we have. We have contracts with multiple customers that let them get large multiple topping pizzas for $7/each, while the employees are paying $10 for a small cheese pizza.

Can't use your cell phone at work. I can understand the point of not actually calling people, but we often have to use Google Maps to look up an address (as the owner hasn't updated the point of sale maps since the place opened, and the computers often say they're somewhere like.. San Antonio, instead of local). Not allowed to do that. Drivers are only allowed to use their phones for navigation, and only in their car; no cell phones are permitted in the building at all. No exceptions are made for those who get a ride to work (we have four 15 year olds working here, and a few others who don't have cars). No personal phone calls of any kind, including getting a ride home.

Nobody is allowed to take a smoke break anymore (most of the store smokes, this has gone over about as well as you would expect).

No personal discussion of any kind. If it's not work related, you can't talk about it.

No parking in the parking lot unless you're on the clock. I watched the owner rip a coworker a new rear end in a top hat for parking behind the store when he came in to pick up his paycheck the other day, said he needed to park at the CVS down the road if he was coming in off the clock. :wtc: Last I checked, the parking lot (front and back) belonged to the entire strip mall.

No clocking in until you've placed the paint destroyer<tm> (car topper) on your car. Doesn't it count as "work" if you're required to place it on your car before you can take a delivery?

The GM is being a bit passive aggressive toward the owner over this stuff, to the point that you can hear the hostility in his voice as he's smiling and shaking his hand. The owner isn't exactly bright when it comes to social interaction, I give it at least a few months before he realizes the GM is actually being a complete dick.

Time to find another job. I wonder if Pizza Hut is hiring..

e: the GM has been great to work for, the owner has done a 180 and started being unreasonable.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 24, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

As it turns out, the new manager we've been "training" has told the owner everything that she thinks is wrong. Both the GM and assistant manager have received massive rear end chewings.

No more music. Period. No headphones, no audible music. We usually had music playing in the back from the GM's Bluetooth speaker. The owner had a speaker system installed for the customer waiting area, and we're not allowed to change it from the Pandora station he selected (I'm pretty sure this falls into some illegal broadcasting bit of some sort).

No more employee discounts - we have to pay full price, minus whatever coupons we have. We have contracts with multiple customers that let them get large multiple topping pizzas for $7/each, while the employees are paying $10 for a small cheese pizza.

Can't use your cell phone at work. I can understand the point of not actually calling people, but we often have to use Google Maps to look up an address (as the owner hasn't updated the point of sale maps since the place opened, and the computers often say they're somewhere like.. San Antonio, instead of local). Not allowed to do that. Drivers are only allowed to use their phones for navigation, and only in their car; no cell phones are permitted in the building at all. No exceptions are made for those who get a ride to work (we have four 15 year olds working here, and a few others who don't have cars). No personal phone calls of any kind, including getting a ride home.

Nobody is allowed to take a smoke break anymore (most of the store smokes, this has gone over about as well as you would expect).

No personal discussion of any kind. If it's not work related, you can't talk about it.

No parking in the parking lot unless you're on the clock. I watched the owner rip a coworker a new rear end in a top hat for parking behind the store when he came in to pick up his paycheck the other day, said he needed to park at the CVS down the road if he was coming in off the clock. :wtc: Last I checked, the parking lot (front and back) belonged to the entire strip mall.

No clocking in until you've placed the paint destroyer<tm> (car topper) on your car. Doesn't it count as "work" if you're required to place it on your car before you can take a delivery?

The GM is being a bit passive aggressive toward the owner over this stuff, to the point that you can hear the hostility in his voice as he's smiling and shaking his hand. The owner isn't exactly bright when it comes to social interaction, I give it at least a few months before he realizes the GM is actually being a complete dick.

e: the GM has been great to work for, the owner has done a 180 and started being unreasonable.
Jesus christ burn the rich. LOOK AT ALL THE PENNIES I'M SAVING!! *everyone quits due to lovely work environment and borderline illegal business practices*

please report back in when he doubles down on going full retard and cuts pay or something as well :allears:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

angryhampster posted:

Hills of Iowa?

Iowa -looks- flat... until you go to Nebraska and Kansas and see what flat really is.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Oh man that's going to go over great. I'm sure the owner is going to be left scratching their head when everyone jumps ship.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Best part is when a company pulls something like this, and then is completely befuddled as to why everyone is leaving and don't even realize that they're scaring away their best employees first.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Two drivers already put in their 2 week notice, another just stopped showing up.

That's 1/3 of our drivers. I'm one of three full time drivers, you can probably guess who put in their 2 weeks.

And yeah, he'll have absolutely no idea why most of his staff has left in about a month. But hey, gotta make that short term profit, gently caress anyone who's been around long enough to actually know how to do poo poo.

He's already been smacked HARD by the state - he got fined 6 figures for hiring 16-17 year olds to do delivery about a year ago.

Tusen Takk posted:

please report back in when he doubles down on going full retard and cuts pay or something as well :allears:

That won't surprise me one bit, to be honest.

Also just noticed on my most recent pay stub that he's changed from a LLC from Michigan to actually using the store name/location, as of a week and a half ago. I wonder what the story behind that is? I'm sure it'll make filing taxes interesting, since I'll probably wind up with two W2s for the same employer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 24, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liquid Communism posted:

Iowa -looks- flat... until you go to Nebraska and Kansas and see what flat really is.

Kansas is literally flatter than a pancake. Some geomorphologists did the math.

http://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
NZ vs SA ODI was absolutly loving insane

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cat Terrist posted:

NZ vs SA ODI was absolutly loving insane

One loving ball, amazing that they pulled it off.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Liquid Communism posted:

Kastein and I just did this yesterday and its very true. Not Kansas though, gently caress that.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had one of those that even the recruiter was bad mouthing.

It wasn't that bad. The people I talked to did stress that companies they do work for hire their employees all the time. Nothing about growing in the company just "If you do well you can leave!". The Glassdoor reviews back this up.

88h88 posted:

Thank you, he was hilarious. I enjoyed watching him try to roll with the punches a whole lot when GBS savaged him.

I keep telling him to re-register and just not be a dick. Because it turns out, other forums suck. Whenever he has a question that could be easily answered by a thread here I send him a link to similar forum on Reddit to piss him off.

mariooncrack posted:

That sounds awful. From your tone, I take it, you're going to decline it. Maybe they'll offer you more if you do decline.

Eh, they would have to give me a lot more money. I would be spending at least 12 hours a week driving back and forth on top of putting a bunch of miles on my car. Plus the getting there involves driving through Waterbury and Hartford. I must not have noticed where it was when I applied or it was listed for their other closer location.

I'm doing an auto-x school on Saturday. Looking forward to it, I've never done any auto-x before (not counting the LRP winter auto-x). I will have to use rcman's WRX since according to the SCCA my Fiesta might as well be a box truck. If I like it I guess I'll just have to get a new car.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Been at work for 3 hrs and already logged 12000 steps om the pedometer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Time to dust your hands and walk away. Good luck :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

CommieGIR posted:

Time to dust your hands and walk away. Good luck :(

With corn flour? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Do you have that over there?
corn flour is common here, we use it for asian cooking. Every time any one from the US talks about corn, it's corn starch, corn meal, hominy, hfcs, corn this and corn that.
All we have here is corn on the cob, frozen corn kernels and corn flour and I get confused :v:

• Locked thread