Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I re-tape my stick whenever the cat hair that inevitably magnetizes to the tape and wax becomes too noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

communist kangaroo posted:

I re-tape my stick whenever the cat hair that inevitably magnetizes to the tape and wax becomes too noticeable

I was reading this right as I took a bite of my sandwich.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Just a quick update for everyone:

I'm taking a skating course starting soon and then I found out that my local rink actually has a learn to play hockey course for 18+ over the summer, so I'm pretty psyched for that. It includes teaching you how to play and then you also get to play some games. So hopefully after all that I will be ready to play in a beer league next season!

Does anyone have any tips for tightening skates? I noticed a MASSIVE difference in my skating skills when my skates are loose vs tight, but I always find it really difficult to tighten them to the tightness that makes it easiest/most comfortable for me to skate. I already got my skates baked to make them more comfortable.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I tape my stick every time I go on the ice. Tape is cheap.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

sellouts posted:

How did they fix it?

Any before/after pics?

Most pro shops have gear to straighten blades.

gently caress! I should've taken a picture. But the bend was barely apparent. Like I could only barely see it when I held it up to my eye.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Kvlt! posted:

I'm taking a skating course starting soon and then I found out that my local rink actually has a learn to play hockey course for 18+ over the summer, so I'm pretty psyched for that. It includes teaching you how to play and then you also get to play some games. So hopefully after all that I will be ready to play in a beer league next season!

Does anyone have any tips for tightening skates? I noticed a MASSIVE difference in my skating skills when my skates are loose vs tight, but I always find it really difficult to tighten them to the tightness that makes it easiest/most comfortable for me to skate. I already got my skates baked to make them more comfortable.

Wax laces: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/elite-waxmolded-tip-laces.html
Skate lace tightener: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/skate-laces.html

Also - if you're getting your skates baked on, make sure they're tied properly (ie, the way you'll tie them every time you play) otherwise it's pointless. You may have to re-bake.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Kvlt! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAokL8Wmb9M

Here's a good method for tightening your boot. You really want to make sure you lock in the heel but still have enough flexibility for the top of the skate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Do not buy this. Lace em like lazer says, that's a good video, then get stronger.

Chemmy posted:

I tape my stick every time I go on the ice. Tape is cheap.

yeah but how do you have the time when you show up and the zamboni is on the second lap??????

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

yeah but how do you have the time when you show up and the zamboni is on the second lap??????

Pfft there's at least 8 minutes left at that point. Plus the 4 minute warmup timer before puck drop.

And if your team bags up the pucks really slowly you get another minute and a half easy.

In other news, I'd have a broken face today if I didn't wear a cage. Aforementioned warmup going on, I'm doing my laps to get the legs moving and someone found a loose puck on the bench, decides to rip it at the net as I'm skating behind it. Clangs off the cage and ends up at center ice by the time the puck stops. Then he skates over with eyes the size of saucers and tries to apologize.

That's why you always look before shooting. :colbert:

It's also why I don't go behind the net once someone dumps pucks on the ice.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Do not buy this. Lace em like lazer says, that's a good video, then get stronger.

Huh, I do something very similar to that video, especially in waiting for a while before lacing my skates and driving my heel into the boot (but I prefer to do that standing).

I had lace tighteners for a while, they make a huge difference for tightening figure skates but I kind of don't see the point for hockey skates unless you have limited mobility in your hands.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Pfft there's at least 8 minutes left at that point. Plus the 4 minute warmup timer before puck drop.

And if your team bags up the pucks really slowly you get another minute and a half easy.

In other news, I'd have a broken face today if I didn't wear a cage. Aforementioned warmup going on, I'm doing my laps to get the legs moving and someone found a loose puck on the bench, decides to rip it at the net as I'm skating behind it. Clangs off the cage and ends up at center ice by the time the puck stops. Then he skates over with eyes the size of saucers and tries to apologize.

That's why you always look before shooting. :colbert:

It's also why I don't go behind the net once someone dumps pucks on the ice.

Please don't do laps behind the net while everyone is shooting; that's just asking for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try reading the whole post next time sparky.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Why does everything feel so ridiculous on the non-dominant leg? I'm getting pretty so-so about turning from forwards to backwards when skating with some speed but it's like I can't even make myself do it if I want to lead with my left foot. Ditto for pivots. Stops I can do but I really have to slow down and think about it. Does this "this is wrong" feeling every really go away?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

I've found that switching the lace pattern up a bit can also help keep your laces tight as soon as you pull them. No need for a lace puller. I do an alternating under then over and stop at the second most top eye. You can get an idea of what I mean here. When lacing I only pull at the ones that go over. Works great for me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Try reading the whole post next time sparky.

I think he got most of it. Skate laps before the pucks start flying. Get heart rate up, stretch if that's your thing and you're sufficiently warm, then follow the style of your team. For beer league that's keep the skating to the neutral zone and line up in a shape for slapshots at the goalie like a bunch of weirdos.

Also keep your eyes looking any time you get near the goal line. I can guarantee you if you were doing this you would have not been surprised.

prom candy posted:

Why does everything feel so ridiculous on the non-dominant leg? I'm getting pretty so-so about turning from forwards to backwards when skating with some speed but it's like I can't even make myself do it if I want to lead with my left foot. Ditto for pivots. Stops I can do but I really have to slow down and think about it. Does this "this is wrong" feeling every really go away?

Yeah, it goes away and you're making good progress! Once the stopping becomes super comfortable the rest of it falls into place pretty quickly. Just keep practicing.

Then you'll take it for granted and every once in a while just eat it. That part never goes away.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 23, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

I think he got most of it. Skate laps before the pucks start flying. Get heart rate up, stretch if that's your thing and you're sufficiently warm, then follow the style of your team. For beer league that's keep the skating to the neutral zone and line up in a shape for slapshots at the goalie like a bunch of weirdos.

Also keep your eyes looking any time you get near the goal line. I can guarantee you if you were doing this you would have not been surprised.

Yeah, it goes away and you're making good progress! Once the stopping becomes super comfortable the rest of it falls into place pretty quickly. Just keep practicing.

Then you'll take it for granted and every once in a while just eat it. That part never goes away.

I don't know if there's any accounting for random pucks that might be dug up from the bench/stands/ceiling/Zam door before the puck bag comes out, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes there is. It's called keeping your head up when skating behind the goal line.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I literally never skate behind the net during warmups. I don't trust the idiots to not fire a shot. I stay out of corners too.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

sellouts posted:

Yes there is. It's called keeping your head up when skating behind the goal line.

Truth. If you're there to play hockey, whether the pucks have been officially dumped or not, somebody is going to shoot at the net and knowing beer league and pickups they are going to miss the net. So keep your head up or at least duck below crossbar height and hope you don't get hit going behind or coming out from behind the net while some dummy shoots before looking.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bigbillystyle posted:

Truth. If you're there to play hockey, whether the pucks have been officially dumped or not, somebody is going to shoot at the net and knowing beer league and pickups they are going to miss the net. So keep your head up or at least duck below crossbar height and hope you don't get hit going behind or coming out from behind the net while some dummy shoots before looking.

Ha, I forget there are people who have to duck to be below the crossbar. :P

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Hockles posted:

I literally never skate behind the net during warmups. I don't trust the idiots to not fire a shot. I stay out of corners too.

This is my #1 pet peeve at hockey, and the idiots are def not the ones firing the pucks. DO NOT SKATE BEHIND THE NET WHEN PUCKS ARE BEING SHOT. Seriously, it's one of the first things we were taught in PeeWee's. Come in from the top, shoot, and peel off to the side. Watch any NHL warmup (or NCAA game or high school game) and see what they do.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

zinc68 posted:

This is my #1 pet peeve at hockey, and the idiots are def not the ones firing the pucks. DO NOT SKATE BEHIND THE NET WHEN PUCKS ARE BEING SHOT. Seriously, it's one of the first things we were taught in PeeWee's. Come in from the top, shoot, and peel off to the side. Watch any NHL warmup (or NCAA game or high school game) and see what they do.

So is it not a normal thing in everyone's warmups to have a minute of everyone just skating around the full rink WITHOUT ANY PUCKS and then, after that, have the pucks come out? You all seem to be talking as if the minute you step onto the ice you expect to be hit by shots.

(Incidentally I rarely skate behind the net even without pucks, because 1. I am lazy and 2. it sucks to overtake someone back there...BUT considering how many people practice their shot along the boards it's not as if it's a unique danger zone once the pucks are out.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The cool thing about that setup too is that you can be in the corner and fire passes to those that want it. And those that don't can just bring their own puck. And you can tune the passes so they are far out to start so the goalie can get settled and get closer in as the warmup progresses. It is far more effective than standing in a line firing shots yet here we are.

But yeah, if the net is pegged the range is live. Keep your head up.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

We're lucky to get 3 minutes of warmups. They are timed. Pucks are out as soon as the Zamboni is getting to the door.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the advice on the skates everyone! Going to try out some of the free suggestions before buying special laces/tools, that way if I ever end up without them I can still tie up my skates well. If I'm still having trouble I might look into them. Thanks again!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Hockles posted:

We're lucky to get 3 minutes of warmups. They are timed. Pucks are out as soon as the Zamboni is getting to the door.

Same here. They actually had to go as far as making a rule that if any member of your team was on the ice before the Zamboni was off the ice your team would actually start the game with a penalty. Some guys like to hop the boards and get a little stretch in while the boner is making its final few laps, but then that led to guys dropping a puck and doing a little stick handling warm up while the Zamboni was still out. Which then led to guys passing it back and forth a little bit while the Zamboni is finishing up. If anything drives a rink employee madder than mad its pucks on the ice at the same time the Zamboni is on the ice.

Point is, with only a few minutes to warm up, as soon as the Zamboni is off, the pucks are on and if the pucks are on the ice somebody is definitely going to loving shoot one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The zamboni running over anything on the rink is a bad time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Considering how burn out / grumpy / pissy the boni drivers in all the rinks around here look I wouldn't at all be surprised if they completely lost their poo poo if a puck got ran over. Can't say I'd entirely blame them either.

Edit: I really like this thread - it's fast becoming a "Hey Here's Exactly What NOT To Do..." guide for me. :v:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 24, 2015

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Figure 8 warmup circles or bust.

I've played on a few teams that didnt do it, and after a few games of me doing figure 8s then everyone else just sort of falls into line.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Johnnies in Chicago had a zamboni run over a puck and put it out of commission for something like a week. I don't blame zamboni drivers for getting pissed about early birds who can't wait for them to get off the ice because it only takes a puck sent around the boards to kill the zamboni. Besides the ice is usually still wet and pucks don't glide well anyway so waiting a minute or two isn't the end of the world.

And warmups .. jesus christ. Talk to most goalies and they will tell you that its annoying for players to try their shootout moves on them during warmups. That time is for taking shots to get a feel for the puck. Wrist shots, approaching shots, slap shots etc. Its too easy to pull something or hurt yourself trying to make a desperation save on a warmup shootout sick deke attempt.

Most players should actually be practicing their passing, wrist and snap shots. But there's always that one person who insists on trying to pull the goalies groin doing the datsyuk deke.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The instructional league does a pretty good job teaching players a good warmup.. they badger skaters to loosen up before hitting the ice because the 5 minutes before puck drop is for the goalie. They have us do the half moon shots, skate out of one corner with a puck and loop in for a shot, then the other corner, then split the pucks into corners and run the st. louis drill until time runs out.

It works well, no one gets beaned in the head with a puck, and the goalie gets settled in the net. We then proceed to play really bad hockey for an hour.

Most of the goalies I've seen are pretty good at spotting Mr. Dangles and ignoring him when he's puck handling up the slot. None of them seem enthused to blow their groin stopping a shot that doesn't matter.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Considering how burn out / grumpy / pissy the boni drivers in all the rinks around here look I wouldn't at all be surprised if they completely lost their poo poo if a puck got ran over. Can't say I'd entirely blame them either.

Edit: I really like this thread - it's fast becoming a "Hey Here's Exactly What NOT To Do..." guide for me. :v:

Just wanted to say, your avatar is the single best avatar I have ever seen on any internet forum.

Quick question: For my learn-to-play hockey league, I'm going to bring my own stick. I only have wooden sticks right now, do you guys think those will do or should I invest in a regular game stick?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'd probably pick up a cheap composite. I used like a $30 composite for my LTP class and it was miles better than a 14lb wood stick.

Then drop 3 bills on a sick-nasty one in 3 weeks because you know you will and won't be able to resist.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For learning to play, a decent wood stick will be fine and likely last you longer than a composite. Once you get better and realize you want to stick with it (no pun intended) then you can consider investing in a composite stick. They are really nice but they just don't tend to last as long and cost much more per stick.

You should be using the same stick for a game as you would practice. Even if not the same actual stick, a similar weight/curve/flex so that you're familiar and comfortable with it during game time. I can't imagine trying to go back and forth with a wood stick in practice and composite in games.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
We need amazon to mess up the pricing on a another big stick sale so we can all get $30 near-top-end warriors again. I need a backup.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

You should be using the same stick for a game as you would practice. Even if not the same actual stick, a similar weight/curve/flex so that you're familiar and comfortable with it during game time. I can't imagine trying to go back and forth with a wood stick in practice and composite in games.

Right so just get the cheapest composite. It is not that much more expensive than wood and a beginner won't likely break it.

There is absolutely no reason in tyool 2015 to be using a wood stick other than insane stubbornness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like warming up or practicing puck handling with my wood stick. It makes the composite feel feather light. Even better if you use an orange puck.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Once pucks come out I do figure 8's in the neutral zone to warm up my legs.

On another note I got an MRI last week since I was having knee pain since getting in a knee-on-knee collision. The worry was I had a meniscus tear, but that wasn't that case. However the MRI showed I have some cartilage missing on my bone, likely from repeated impacts over the years, which appears to be causing the pain. Doc hopes physical therapy and rest will help reduce pain, so it's wait and see. I bought a big bottle of Aleve as well. I'm cleared to play, but I took myself out of the lineup until playoffs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

just snagged an E700 for 2x the cost of HZ's S19. (i now use that deal as an increment for how much helmets cost)

problem is it's white and I've always had a red helmet. my team is going to be lost at sea. i wonder if i can dye this thing like lacrosse players dye their sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was just looking at the E700s online and saw they have a green one, which I badly want. I currently wear an E600 and absolutely love how it fits, but am not sure if the 600 and 700 fit similarly...

I may start going visor on my Silver team (because I don't like concussions) and I hate changing it out with a cage every time. Having separate helmets would be bomb.