Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If money is no object, definitely get a Silentaire Compressor. They perform great, and are dead quiet.

If you want something a bit cheaper, but still works great, I use the Iwata PowerJet Pro. You can definitely hear it, but it's very quiet. I use it in a condo environment, and never had a complaint. It's got a small tank on it too, which helps prevent any pulsation, and the compressor won't be on constantly. Depending on the pressure, you can get about a minute out of the tank if you held the trigger down constantly, and it can refill itself in about 15 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Damnit quit selling it I don't need another one. I've already got 15 :argh:
(Estate sale windfall, before someone asks).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

That airbrush is supposed to be really good, but there are also a lot of reviews that knock it for the very small paint cup, and it's also a very fine detailing brush. If that is what you need, then yea, it gets great reviews, but if you are looking to shoot primer for say 1:200 scale battleship hulls, it may not be the right choice.

I'm going to wait on it, as I have a Badger 105 that I haven't even used yet, and most everything that I plan to use an airbrush for doesn't need that super fine detailing that this one gives. Also, I still need to get a compressor.!

The 20/20-2, the one linked, has a bigger cup. I went on and grabbed this since I'm already into Badger brushes with the 150.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If money is no object, definitely get a Silentaire Compressor. They perform great, and are dead quiet.

If you want something a bit cheaper, but still works great, I use the Iwata PowerJet Pro. You can definitely hear it, but it's very quiet. I use it in a condo environment, and never had a complaint. It's got a small tank on it too, which helps prevent any pulsation, and the compressor won't be on constantly. Depending on the pressure, you can get about a minute out of the tank if you held the trigger down constantly, and it can refill itself in about 15 seconds.

The Iwata is one of the compressor's I've been considering, but I don't think I've got anything coming up on my projects that will really use the air brush until I start my next big ship, so I'm not in a rush. Thanks!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Locator posted:

That airbrush is supposed to be really good, but there are also a lot of reviews that knock it for the very small paint cup, and it's also a very fine detailing brush. If that is what you need, then yea, it gets great reviews, but if you are looking to shoot primer for say 1:200 scale battleship hulls, it may not be the right choice.

I'm going to wait on it, as I have a Badger 105 that I haven't even used yet, and most everything that I plan to use an airbrush for doesn't need that super fine detailing that this one gives. Also, I still need to get a compressor.!

Any parts I'd be priming or doing a basecoat on are relatively small, and while there could be a lot of them refilling the pain cup just kinda sounds like adding more paint to my brush, so that doesn't sound like too much of a pain, and it looks like it''d be great for illustration work as well. I might as well pick one up. Give me something to look forward to when I move.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No one has really ever had a concrete answer why Amazon has them so cheap sometimes. There's been some rumour that they're refurbs, but the vast majority of reviews on Amazon are positive. Even if it is a refurb, it's still an amazing deal at the price.

Can't say if they're refurbs but Amazon gets crazy deals on them because they buy 500-1000 at a time and blow them out as loss leaders.

I totally agree that the Sotar is NOT for beginners or as a first (or maybe even second) airbrush. It's super-delicate, has a small paint paint cup and won't be very good for basecoating or priming, which is what most first-time airbrushers will want to do.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If anyone is looking to get a high-quality airbrush for ultra-cheap, Amazon is having another amazing sale on the Badger Sotar 20/20. It's on for $97, that's $320 bucks off!

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426980977&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+sotar

I'm in the UK and have been keeping an eye out for a new fine detail airbrush. Just ordered one of these and with international delivery it's still only £85! Top notch heads up, thank you.

I've really only been using Iwata brushes to now, so looking forward to trying it out.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

big_g posted:

I'm in the UK and have been keeping an eye out for a new fine detail airbrush. Just ordered one of these and with international delivery it's still only £85! Top notch heads up, thank you.

I've really only been using Iwata brushes to now, so looking forward to trying it out.

The air hose fitting on Badgers is much smaller than Iwatas so you'll want to make sure to order an adapter or a new hose as well.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

The air hose fitting on Badgers is much smaller than Iwatas so you'll want to make sure to order an adapter or a new hose as well.

There's QD couplings for the airbrush end of the hose. Curiously they're cross compatible between manufacturers.

e: If anyone's on the fence waiting for that next paycheck, it seems this brush is always on sale: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/product/B000BROVIO
Always at least 50% off back to 2012.

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 22, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

SkunkDuster posted:

Thanks, I got one ordered as well at the same time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

krushgroove posted:

Can't say if they're refurbs but Amazon gets crazy deals on them because they buy 500-1000 at a time and blow them out as loss leaders.
Large places do that, but they also buy a thousand at whatever price, calculate the margins they need to make a profit per unit at projected sales and then when the magic tipping point is hit that every unit sold becomes pure profit on the bulk buy they ditch the lot for nothing to clear space. I've ended up getting Lego and Transformers toys for a single penny per item in my local huge chain supermarket that way.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hopefully whenever I get around to wanting a detail airbrush, I can catch a smoking deal like this.

On the boat front, I've done a bit on both of them.

On the sloop, I added the molding to the bottom of the quarterdeck wall, and added hinges and handles to the doors.

It's amazing how rough and terrible the unfinished wood looks in macro shots.

On the canoe, I've added the decks and completed the wales. First comes the decks at each end, which were kind of tricky because to get them bent they have to be soaked in water, and when they are soaked they have no lateral strength, but they actually spread the hull, so they need to be strong. I used a temporary wedge at each end to hold the hull in position while they dried to keep the hull from collapsing the decks. If I were to do it again I'd have reinforced the deck pieces with planking strips on the underside before placing them. Lesson learned!

Next come the inwales - these are cherry strips that run along the inside of the ribs at the top from deck to deck. These are fairly straight forward, just trim to length and glue/clamp in place.

The Gunwales were a lot trickier. They use the same cherry strips, which start out 1/8" x 1/16", but they have to be tapered over 3-1/2" at each end (and trimmed to length of course) to a mere 1/32" x 1/32", so they have to be tapered in both dimensions, and then, they have to be curved to match the hull shape at both ends. They only supply a single spare cherry strip (it gets used for other stuff, but in small lengths) and I managed to break one while sanding it. Luckily I managed to get the replacement made without breakage.

I bend the strips edgewise to follow the hull by using 3 clamps, and a heat gun. Bend a little bit with the clamps, apply heat, and let cool. When the wood cools, it retains the shape it was in when heated.

Then they get glued and clamped in place. Once they are dry, the tops of the wales are sanded to be even with the top of the hull and ribs.

Other than the clamps, the tool list remains unchanged.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If anyone is looking to get a high-quality airbrush for ultra-cheap, Amazon is having another amazing sale on the Badger Sotar 20/20. It's on for $97, that's $320 bucks off!

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426980977&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+sotar

Can I use regular thinned hobby paint with this, or does it require magic special paint?

VV good to know, thanks.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 23, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No, any paint will do. As long as you've got it at about milk-consistency, any decent airbrush should be able to shoot just about any paint.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
question I just tried painting Tamiya semi clear gloss x-35 over my acrylic paint coats to seal it before I cover this tank with decals but it seems to be stripping the paint, did I somehow contaminate my bottle of gloss?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
That canoe is looking gorgeous, nice one.

I built a (full-size) strip-planked kayak out of western red cedar and maple a few years back, and it didn't look that neat! Getting the bow/sterns stems and the coaming on was enough of a pain full-size, so I can only imagine how hard it is on that scale.

Will that canoe had stems and(or) a keel strip? Much else left to do?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chillyrabbit posted:

question I just tried painting Tamiya semi clear gloss x-35 over my acrylic paint coats to seal it before I cover this tank with decals but it seems to be stripping the paint, did I somehow contaminate my bottle of gloss?

I'm guessing here, but some of Tamiya "acrylics" actually have a lacquer base, and it may be to hot for the base coat and is rewetting it. Were you airbrushing on the gloss, or brush painting it?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sanguine posted:

That canoe is looking gorgeous, nice one.

I built a (full-size) strip-planked kayak out of western red cedar and maple a few years back, and it didn't look that neat! Getting the bow/sterns stems and the coaming on was enough of a pain full-size, so I can only imagine how hard it is on that scale.

Thanks. A full-size canoe would be awesome. In some ways it would be easier, and in some ways more difficult. I don't live anywhere near water or have a way to transport a canoe to water, so I won't be making a full size one anytime soon.

Sanguine posted:

Will that canoe had stems and(or) a keel strip? Much else left to do?

It does get a false keel (a strip along the bottom).

Other than that, it doesn't have a lot else left.
Thwarts, a brace to mount one of the seat frames on.
Two seats (canvas on cherry frame, cloth for these is included in the kit).
Two paddles. Can't have a canoe without paddles!

Other than that, the rest of the work is all in the finish, which I'm going to try to give a glassed appearance like a classic Chris-craft type wooden hull. We'll see how it goes. I just finished gluing the false keel on, so later tonight I'll give it another round of stain, then work on the finish, which will go slow because it needs a fair number of coats of resin, which has to be completely dry and sanded between coats.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm guessing here, but some of Tamiya "acrylics" actually have a lacquer base, and it may be to hot for the base coat and is rewetting it. Were you airbrushing on the gloss, or brush painting it?

brush painting

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had problems with Tamiya Olive Green just sort of rubbing off a tank I painted waaaay back even after being let sit for a couple of days. I ended up solving the problem by coating it with matte varnish first, then applying the Olive Green and varnishing again before detailing etc.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chillyrabbit posted:

brush painting

That was probably it. Although it would've been as hot through an airbrush, the light touch of the spray would've rewetted, but not disturbed, the paint below. Brush painting with a lacquer is basically take a solvent and a scrub brush to the model, so any delicate acrylics below get messed up.

If you're going to fix the base coat, seal it with some sprayed Dullcote afterwords, then a gloss coat after that dries to prepare the surface for decals. You don't even need to gloss the whole thing, just the areas to receive decals.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

It's amazing what you can do with an old, cheap model kit, some patience and creativity :toot: I was originally planning on just putting together the AT-AT as a quick build, but once I saw the little snowspeeder that came with it, I knew what needed to be done. This also gave me an excuse to further practice using homemade oil washes. I'm shocked at how well this all came together.

Pre-painted and seeing if the wire would work on this

The final result

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Commissar Canuck posted:

It's amazing what you can do with an old, cheap model kit, some patience and creativity :toot: I was originally planning on just putting together the AT-AT as a quick build, but once I saw the little snowspeeder that came with it, I knew what needed to be done. This also gave me an excuse to further practice using homemade oil washes. I'm shocked at how well this all came together.

The final result

I bought that kit when I was 8 or 9 and went to London on vacation! Too bad it's now lost somewhere, you did a great job with it.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Commissar Canuck posted:

This is really great. I'd like to be able to do some kits this well one day. I've got snowspeeder, speeder bike, and shuttle Tydirium kits waiting for me but I want to get better before I start on them.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Commissar Canuck posted:

The final result

Nice work, though I got distracted when I recognized your photo backdrop there. Where'd you get the lights?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Commissar Canuck posted:

The final result

That loving owns

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been wanting to get into models for a while, and finally picked up a Tamiya PzKpfw II from Hobby Lobby today.

Because I figured, who needs money or time, right?

Now to comb through 107 pages and figure out how not to make this look like butt.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The 1970s one? I have that kit, it's a nice cheap way to get started in 1:35th. It's one of the few models where I was happy with how the vinyl tracks turned out.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I've been wanting to get into models for a while, and finally picked up a Tamiya PzKpfw II from Hobby Lobby today.

Now to comb through 107 pages and figure out how not to make this look like butt.

Bring some glue, a box cutter, and optimism. The rest is just gravy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My wife was supposed to pick it up from Hobby Lobby for me since I was stuck at work. They didn't have it, but had the Sdkfz 251/1. I told her, "that would be great, go for it."

She said, "it doesn't even come with the glue you need or any paints. Waste of money in my opinion."

Oh... well... okay :smithicide: guess I'd better go rogue.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

COOL CORN posted:

She said, "it doesn't even come with the glue you need or any paints. Waste of money in my opinion."

Explain the hobby in excruciating detail. Make sure to watch several hours of YouTube videos on model-making with her. In bed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Show her how the back and forth motion of dry-brushing works.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Were you looking at Tamiya kit 35292?

If so that was one of my first 1:35 scale tank models I did in 2010! (Can't believe that's half a decade ago now.)

It's a good little kit. It was the first time I ever used Tamiya paints and I was dumb enough to apply them straight from the tub with a brush without any kind of thinning at all as if they were GW acrylics.

It was also when I started trying pigments out for the first time. Fun times.

Didn't come out too bad all in all. So get going and start this fantastic hobby, before you know it you'll be hooked.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

big_g posted:

Tamiya paints and I was dumb enough to apply them straight from the tub with a brush without any kind of thinning at all as if they were GW acrylics.
I did the same every time I used them (bar one) and it worked out okay for most except for that Olive Green incident, but even the airbrush didn't help there. Anyways, "thin your paints" is not the golden rule that people seem to think it is.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's the A/B/C one, he's probably looking at the cheaper and older E/F one. Nice tank though.

Edit: here's a small thing, ICM Soviet Infantry 1940-1942

I think I didn't do a super good job on the eyes, but I'm pretty bad at faces all around. The guy in the middle didn't turn out that bad.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 24, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

That looks so drat rad.

So I can still expect decent results without an airbrush?

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's the A/B/C one, he's probably looking at the cheaper and older E/F one. Nice tank though.

It's the F/G actually, but yeah.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yes, you can do fine without using an airbrush.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

My wife was supposed to pick it up from Hobby Lobby for me since I was stuck at work. They didn't have it, but had the Sdkfz 251/1. I told her, "that would be great, go for it."

Oh... well... okay :smithicide: guess I'd better go rogue.

Ask her for one of those big train modeller aprons that will gather any pieces that you drop in a big pocket, and see how she reacts.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
vroom vroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That is gorgeous - I have 3 bike models to build (RC211V, 2009 M1, 916) and really need to get one of them made. I've been sort of waiting to get a decent selection of metallics, but I just got got a set of all 12 Darkstar Miniatures metallics (meant for wargaming models, but they are supposed to work well out of an airbrush too) so I have no excuse now. Except the massive pile of wargaming models I also have.