Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Delsaber posted:

Car shows like that are a TV relic from days gone by, like public access or fishing shows or heritage moments. It's amazing that they still exist.

Motorweek is awesome, they provide 1/4 mile times :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Judging by that charity auction rant, it seems like he's been getting tired of the show and has wanted to find a way to end it for a while explosively if necessary/possible.

The punch was his banme.

Right, but all three's contracts were due for renewal after this series anyway. It's not like he didn't have ample opportunity to say "Well, lads, after this one I'm done," and go out like a man, instead of the passve-aggressive narrative we've heard so far.

Having said that, none of us know the entire story here, and it's all very easy to speculate on what went down.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 21, 2015

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

PT6A posted:

Anyone who prefers that show over Top Gear is a mental defective. Why even bother having reviews of "normal cars" on TV? They can't be as in-depth as a written review, and, more importantly, anyone can just go to a loving dealership and test drive any normal car they like.

This is the point I've been making to people over and over again when they whine about how Top Gear should go back to being a "proper car show" with "cars for the every day person". When websites like https://www.parkers.co.uk exist the motoring show 'for the every day person' has been rendered hopelessly obsolete.

I sense the people often wanting such a show either don't drive anyway, or their idea of an exciting car is a 1.2 Renault Clio.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Ludicro posted:

I sense the people often wanting such a show either don't drive anyway, or their idea of an exciting car is a 1.2 Renault Clio.

Hey, a 1.2 Renault Clio could be exciting if it only had 3 wheels and weighed as much as a toaster.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 21, 2015

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Noone young says that, I was born in the 90s in Brisbane and I've heard gook and chink but never slope.

Other than when Christopher Walken says it to young Butch in Pulp Fiction when talking about the watch, I've heard it maybe twice in my entire life.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
There's absolutely a market for a car show with "normal" cars, it'd just need to be framed well. You could do it in the style of Top Gear challenges. Need to find the best cheap crossover? Tell the presenters to "spend" £25,000 on some and then have them to drive the Paris-Dakar. Best repmobile? Drive some comical samples (concrete slabs, double bass, former eastern bloc explosives) to a client in John O'Groats.

Add some bickering and some pratting about and you could jam in enough serious reviewing in between to count as factual. It doesn't have to be Tiff Needell soberly reading out tax bands, but it doesn't have to be LaFerraris to be fun either.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

There's absolutely a market for a car show with "normal" cars, it'd just need to be framed well. You could do it in the style of Top Gear challenges. Need to find the best cheap crossover? Tell the presenters to "spend" £25,000 on some and then have them to drive the Paris-Dakar. Best repmobile? Drive some comical samples (concrete slabs, double bass, former eastern bloc explosives) to a client in John O'Groats.

Add some bickering and some pratting about and you could jam in enough serious reviewing in between to count as factual. It doesn't have to be Tiff Needell soberly reading out tax bands, but it doesn't have to be LaFerraris to be fun either.

Isn't this basically just Top Gear US? Post-History Channel relaunch anyway.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CoreDuo posted:

Isn't this basically just Top Gear US? Post-History Channel relaunch anyway.

Yup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes but it has to have good hosts to make it watchable.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yes but it has to have good hosts to make it watchable.

I'm not that disappointed with the current Top Gear US hosts. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. What it really what it boils down to is having people that are passionate about cars. That's what concerns me about whoever the BBC has lined up if they fire Jeremy.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 21, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

quote:

BBC releases update on Clarkson and Top Gear

The BBC has today released the following statement:

“Following last week’s suspension of Jeremy Clarkson, Ken MacQuarrie is now considering the evidence and will report to the Director-General on his findings next week.

Once this has been considered, we will set out any further steps.

The BBC will not be offering further commentary until then.”

It has been confirmed that the TGTV episode scheduled for broadcast on Sunday 22 March will not be shown, and that Episode 10 of Series 22, originally scheduled to air on BBC Two on Sunday March 29, has also been postponed.

TopGear.com will bring you more news as soon as we have it.

How is that a loving update?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd like to see Ross Noble present Top Gear. He owns a tank, he's got the right attitude for this. Plus he's made a show where he crowdsourced locations for a road trip while on the road trip, get him to do that in Thailand or Nigeria and you've got a special.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Looking forward to buying the season 22 dvd with 2 episodes worth of deleted scenes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

I accidentally watched a bit of some Canadian motoring show when I turned on my TV this morning. They were reviewing a Kia minivan, and saying how good it was and poo poo like that, and they weren't being sarcastic.

Anyone who prefers that show over Top Gear is a mental defective.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Philip J Fry posted:

Other than when Christopher Walken says it to young Butch in Pulp Fiction when talking about the watch, I've heard it maybe twice in my entire life.

Is that where I heard it? I was racking my brains because I know I have heard it once in my life, outside of these forums, because I vaguely recall thinking it odd/unusual at the time.

So, I can full believe that the trio have never heard it before. In fact, I am surprised that Wilman stated that he knew it was a term for Asians at all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
They should just integrate his offensiveness fully into the show and make his punishments part of the broadcast. The profits are so large that he could be paid an even bigger salary specifically with the intention of docking him huge chunks of it and giving the money to charity.

:buddy: "Well, Jeremy, you colossal orangutan, last episode you were a huge twat towards... (looks at notes)... the Inuit? How the...? Well, anyway, let's spin the the Wheel of Morally Unimpeachable Charities and see how it comes up!"

:wotwot: "It's... Médecins Sans Frontières!"

:smuggo: "Could've been worse."

:wotwot: "For five hundred thousand pounds."

:smuggo: "Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the largest television personalty fine... in the world! And on that bombshell it's time to end the show, thank you very much for watching, good night!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:smuggo: "Doctors without borders? Isn't that pretty much the combined NHS and immigration policy of the left?"

:stare: "Jesus CHRIST Clarkson!"

:wotwot: "One million pounds!"

:smuggo: "Oh, a Bernie! Only I'll actually be giving it to someone doing something useful..."

:ughh: "God dammit"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The possibilities for it all going horribly wrong are endless! :haw:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

sean10mm posted:

They should just integrate his offensiveness fully into the show and make his punishments part of the broadcast. The profits are so large that he could be paid an even bigger salary specifically with the intention of docking him huge chunks of it and giving the money to charity.

:buddy: "Well, Jeremy, you colossal orangutan, last episode you were a huge twat towards... (looks at notes)... the Inuit? How the...? Well, anyway, let's spin the the Wheel of Morally Unimpeachable Charities and see how it comes up!"

:smuggo: "Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the largest television personalty fine... in the world! And on that bombshell it's time to end the show, thank you very much for watching, good night!"

Is there an email address for the BBC that I can send a screenshot of this post to?

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 22, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'd watch that.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I want to see a segment that is kind of like win ben stein's money except it's jeremy clarkson and it's the star in the reasonably priced car, and the prize is not money it's something completely pointless like winning a package of bangers or a one year supply of tree air fresheners

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

sean10mm posted:

Could you imagine everyone at the Guardian's head exploding.

"Thanks to you being a huge twat Jeremy, Top Gear has given one million pounds to worth causes".

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

sbaldrick posted:

Could you imagine everyone at the Guardian's head exploding.

"Thanks to you being a huge twat Jeremy, Top Gear has given one million pounds to worth causes".

It would be a sad day since The Guardian would no longer have a monopoly on publicly shaming him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ludicro posted:

I sense the people often wanting such a show either don't drive anyway, or their idea of an exciting car is a Peugeot with a "chimney".

Fixed that for you.

Maniac!

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
on the off chance TG does come back, I have to wonder if / how this will be addressed on-air.

"We're back! Now, there has been a bit of a row in the office."
*pause for comedic effect*
"But anyway, we went on the internet and bought some classic cars ..."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Well yeah, they do that with everything. Just make jokes about it and move on.

Like have the Chilean flag on everything this season.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sir Tonk posted:

Well yeah, they do that with everything. Just make jokes about it and move on.

Like have the Chilean flag on everything this season.

Or have Jeremy about to say something stupid and have the others stop him just in time.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

sean10mm posted:

Seriously. I think his punishment should be following James May around for a week recording his thoughts and opinions on everything in a notebook. If Clarkson doesn't kill himself in the first two days, he'll never mess up again.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sandbagger SA posted:

Seriously. I think his punishment should be following James May around for a week recording his thoughts and opinions on everything in a notebook. If Clarkson doesn't kill himself in the first two days, he'll never mess up again.

A tenting trip with Hammond could also work, with all kinds of outdoorsy activities (and manual labor).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Hey, you know that video I posted?

Turns out is was all a joke. JC was just making a big joke.
He completely forgot that it was a joke, until his hangover cleared and his lawyer called him to remind him (phew! that was fortunate!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11488275/Jeremy-Clarkson-Foul-mouthed-BBC-rant-was-all-in-jest.html

quote:

"Most of us have woken up after a night at a charity ball to find an empty wallet and a signed rugby ball on the kitchen table," he said. "So we're all familiar with the sense of, 'Oh no. What have I done?'

"Well, it was worse for me on Friday morning because I woke up after a night at a charity do to be told by my lawyer that someone had uploaded a video of me using choice language to describe bosses at the BBC.

"He was very stern and I had to look at my shoes like a naughty boy. But it was all meant in jest and anyway it worked.
"By being brief and controversial and a bit sweary I woke the room up and the auction prize I was offering - one last lap of the Top Gear test track - raised £100,000."

I imagine the conversation was in a similar vein to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjMArn_UGkk

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Double Bill posted:

A tenting trip with Hammond could also work, with all kinds of outdoorsy activities (and manual labor).

The first two episodes already planned out. This should be great!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Somehow flew over my head that there was an actual recording of his "rant", so I just watched it. I'm not entirely sure how someone interprets this as a rant? I've expected him going off like a rocket, but it's just cynical banter for the audience.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
his goal was to raise money for charity and he sold his prize like a loving pro by taking advantage of the recent circumstances, end of story.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Scrambles posted:

his goal was to raise money for charity and he sold his prize like a loving pro by taking advantage of the recent circumstances, end of story.

If Top Gear isn't cancelled and it isn't his 'last lap around the track,' that 100,000 ride is suddenly kind of a false advertisement, is it not?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

If Top Gear isn't cancelled and it isn't his 'last lap around the track,' that 100,000 ride is suddenly kind of a false advertisement, is it not?

I'm sure he would kick the 100k back, it's not like his bank account would even notice that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=419

quote:

No worries, folks, I'll have this unit load tested faster than Jeremy Clarkson can do something offensive and we fans can be punished for it, so we'll find out soon enough how it performs.

Good lord, you just can't get away from it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/tv/snoop-dogg-we-st-you-not-says-bbc-are-crazy-if-they-sack-top-gears-jeremy-clarkson/

Snoop Dogg supports Jeremy.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Game recognize game.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Somehow flew over my head that there was an actual recording of his "rant", so I just watched it. I'm not entirely sure how someone interprets this as a rant? I've expected him going off like a rocket, but it's just cynical banter for the audience.

Yeah, really made me appreciate how quotes with profanity in them come across way harsher in print than in a recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

CornHolio posted:

Not really as you could just say it's the last time he would take a guest around the track with him. Plus you know, you're talking about a charity ball auction, who sues over a charity ball?