Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The thing about inflation is that it should affect everyone, not just the country mining the gold. It should propagate up the trade stream from the country that mines it (or gets the treasure fleet) and be assigned to countries upstream based on their trade income. It could also provide a bonus to upstream trade value, or even to global commodity prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

The thing about inflation is that it should affect everyone, not just the country mining the gold. It should propagate up the trade stream from the country that mines it (or gets the treasure fleet) and be assigned to countries upstream based on their trade income. It could also provide a bonus to upstream trade value, or even to global commodity prices.

Well, it would be interesting to make certain commodities (gold, wheat, slaves) follow different trade rules. You spend gold to gain trade power in a node - this allows you to get a lot of valuable goods out of China, for example - but that money goes to the people in that node that you're getting the goods from. Basically you want to spend as much of your gold as you can in trade nodes worth as much money as possible. You can always bring gold home and cash it in, which should probably cause inflation for yourself and everyone around you, but a sudden influx of cash is pretty useful in certain cases.

Wheat, on the other hand, is something you can have too much of. Probably you shouldn't be able to buy more wheat than you have base tax to consume it. On the other hand, if you don't have enough wheat coming in to meet your base tax, it should sap your manpower.

Slaves are a unique commodity in that they shouldn't be moving to Europe, but to the new world. Every month/year/decade/whenever, some base tax should siphon from west africa to the new world, and your proportion of slave trading should determine if it goes to your colonies or someone else's.

Or something.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

- Fixed an issue where the AI would make suicidal declarations of war due to miscalculating on whether enemy allies would join

It was the worst bug, but it was also the best bug.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

The problem with making AI allies more selfish is that players do not find it very fun, but yes, situations like France sending half its army overseas to help out in some piddly colonial war is not ideal. I do plan to make it harder for the player to be selfish, as of next major patch the AI will know when you're just sitting out on their wars, and will be highly upset with you if they needed your help.

poo poo's about to get real. :getin:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

Wiz posted:
The problem with making AI allies more selfish is that players do not find it very fun, but yes, situations like France sending half its army overseas to help out in some piddly colonial war is not ideal. I do plan to make it harder for the player to be selfish, as of next major patch the AI will know when you're just sitting out on their wars, and will be highly upset with you if they needed your help.

Hopefully we'll have some way of knowing that the AI is getting pissed off if we don't do something (and what would we have to do?) within :time: ... otherwise that might be terrible :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Are we allowed to be (mechanically) upset when it inevitably does the same? Or do we just get to eat a fat stab loss when the AI randomly decides to hate you on a ruler flip?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you find an ally to be useless you can ditch it. The AI doesn't have your inteligence.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Rip in peace suicidal wardec bug. Helped me finally get my Sweden achievements pre-1600 after my ridiculous AE from eating the Baltic coastline caused Poland to declare several consecutive coalition wars. Oh poo poo, is that Austria attacking you? I'm an HRE member motherfucker, I'm untouchable. Denmark wants to get cores back? gently caress you, I'll block the Skagerrak with my massive fuckoff navy while the Kaiser devours your pathetic rump state!

Lion of the North was also super easy, as it is generally very difficult to fight a 3 front war against Bohemia, France, and the Ottomans. I literally sat there and fought off an occasional Russian probing attack in Finland while hundreds of thousands were slaughtered on the mainland.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Now if only they would do that for CKII.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

beefart posted:

Lion of the North was also super easy, as it is generally very difficult to fight a 3 front war against Bohemia, France, and the Ottomans. I literally sat there and fought off an occasional Russian probing attack in Finland while hundreds of thousands were slaughtered on the mainland.

What's all this lion nonsense?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

alcaras posted:

Hopefully we'll have some way of knowing that the AI is getting pissed off if we don't do something (and what would we have to do?) within :time: ... otherwise that might be terrible :(

It would also be nice if there was some kind of diplomatic option to fistshake at the AI and make it feel bad for calling me into a war when an ally of their enemy is right next to me and has a bigger army than I do.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My game is running a bit better after the latest patch, it's great. :toot:

I was wondering why I was suddenly losing money every month and after looking at the economy tab I discovered I was paying massive costs for reinforcements. Then I realized I had left 50k men standing around in a jungle eating attrition like crazy. Oops.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly, given how much fun the MP game is having by simply buffing the AI to the point where they don't all get annexed within the first 20 years, anything that makes the AI more likely to stick around or even become powerful is A-Okay in my book.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Since my Muscovy to Russia game did not save in the cloud for some reason and I am away it's time to do another beginner nation. Attempting Brandenburg to Prussia to Germany for this one. I'm at my first idea choice and I've narrowed it down to either diplomatic or influence. Is there a clear choice there or is it down to personal preference? I will probably follow it with innovative and then defensive to really leverage those quality troops.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

That's a really good change. I admit, I found it silly when using the French bulldog, that they would not complain that you didn't lift a finger to fight your own war.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hey, I just realized that colonial Guyana doesn't seem to exist anymore. What happened to it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

flashman posted:

Since my Muscovy to Russia game did not save in the cloud for some reason and I am away it's time to do another beginner nation. Attempting Brandenburg to Prussia to Germany for this one. I'm at my first idea choice and I've narrowed it down to either diplomatic or influence. Is there a clear choice there or is it down to personal preference? I will probably follow it with innovative and then defensive to really leverage those quality troops.
Innovative is not a militaristic Admin idea set anymore - Paradox replaced the Tradition Retention idea with +1 Adviser. The Tradition Retention got moved to Aristocratic and got cut in half (from -2% to -1%).

StandardVC10 posted:

Hey, I just realized that colonial Guyana doesn't seem to exist anymore. What happened to it?
It got folded into Colonial Columbia because Guyana would have been too small to have a Colonial Nation with 10 provinces (for the new +1 merchant mechanic).

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

Innovative is not a militaristic Admin idea set anymore - Paradox replaced the Tradition Retention idea with +1 Adviser. The Tradition Retention got moved to Aristocratic and got cut in half (from -2% to -1%).

Hmm I didn't realize that. I guess the tech cost doesn't really make it worth while. I'll have to take a look at them closely and see which tickles my fancy (still probably going to take one from administration tree)

Out of all of them either administration or humanist look nicest. Reducing nationalism and increasing the centralization speed look very strong.

flashman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 24, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Node posted:

That's a really good change. I admit, I found it silly when using the French bulldog, that they would not complain that you didn't lift a finger to fight your own war.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn into a Lucky Nation clown car, if it means that the only nations capable of satisfying the French AI are equally powerful AIs.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

flashman posted:

A lot of people will say influence is superior outright but I have a strong tendency towards diplomacy for smaller, more aggressive starts. Influence has the single most powerful direct AE reduction of any idea group, and is incredible at conserving DIP points when you have so many potential vassals to feed/absorb in Poland/Lithuania/Baltic regions but diplomacy's less obvious effects can be massive.

Aggressive Expansion can also be controlled with more than just direct reductions, like via high relations which will decrease the initial AE hit and also increase how quickly the relations penalty decays (and consequentially how quickly coalitions form and dissipate). The extra diplomat and the boosted increased relations (which IIRC both increases the speed at which you gain relations but also slows the decay) allows you to keep a rotating cadre of diplomats keeping +85 relations or more in up to 6 countries without much micromanagement (i'm sure a better player than me could squeeze out more)

From my own testing, lowering the warscore worth of provinces also has the same effect making taking a province like Lubeck, Danzig, Bohemia, or other 10+ BT strongholds much less punishing. Also potentially making wars which would otherwise be just over the 100% threshold more tenable. For instance with that idea from Diplomacy Denmark becomes a single war to annex.

But by far the greatest asset of Diplomacy is the capstone. Very few ideas can save MP of another variety, but with the completion of the last idea in diplomacy I must save at least 40-50 stability worth of ADM points and open up great new avenues of risk-free royal marriages, more lenient non-CB wars/truce breaks, and free'ish march revokes.

Smaller things like 10% dip tech discount and the war exhaustion boost are neat but not massive, war exhaustion might not seem like much, but when you get your 2nd coalition war before the 1st is quite over and you are pushing 17 WE with only about ~200 DIP in the pool, that's a difference of 4 extra WE you can get, and with a halfway decent monarch (3+) you can afford enough reduction to keep it down almost indefinitely so long as you aren't carpet sieged yet

Diplo will keep you in the game and let you really get creative with DIP usage. My last Brandenburg game I took exploration as a 3rd idea group, colonized Canada, Brazil, and the Caribbean, before swapping out for Maritime about 100 years later. All this while keeping up with DIP tech, and cranking out so many trade buildings in Northern Germany/the Baltic that I had <80% in Lubeck(100%), Baltic Sea, Saxony, and Rhineland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

flashman posted:

Hmm I didn't realize that. I guess the tech cost doesn't really make it worth while. I'll have to take a look at them closely and see which tickles my fancy (still probably going to take one from administration tree)

Out of all of them either administration or humanist look nicest. Reducing nationalism and increasing the centralization speed look very strong.

Admin is great if only for the -25% core cost because it also reduces the time it takes to core something (thus overextension goes away sooner). Humanist is great because it makes dealing with conquered provinces so much easier - they are more likely to have an accepted culture, have -2 RR off the bat, plus the tolerance and Religious Unity decreases RR even further, and then there is -10 Years of Nationalism and -10% Idea Cost!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I almost always try to do right by my AI allies (if I want to keep the alliance, anyway) so I'm glad that's finally being incentivized..

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Is it broken enough or I am missing something

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Transmetropolitan posted:

You're missing +2 leader fire, +2 leader shock, and +1 republican tradition.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

gently caress national unrest and accepted culture threshold, just get leader fire/shock and crush the rebel scum with your invincible armies. :black101:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

firestruck posted:

gently caress national unrest and accepted culture threshold, just get leader fire/shock and crush the rebel scum with your invincible armies. :black101:

Grab Leader and Shock bonuses, grab +1 Army tradition yearly and -1 decay. Replace Unrest, maintenance, culture threshold and something else, probably infantry combat ability. Make sure you're a Dutch republic. Steamroll.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Exchange the -10% tech cost with -idea cost and put it in the traditions.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

Grab Leader and Shock bonuses, grab +1 Army tradition yearly and -1 decay. Replace Unrest, maintenance, culture threshold and something else, probably infantry combat ability. Make sure you're a Dutch republic. Steamroll.

+2 leader fire +2 leader shock and +1 leader shock from picking Thor as your personal deity gets you god generals very, very quickly.

You are, of course, playing Norse?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

No Years of Nationalism -10? For shame.

I really like the War Exhaustion reduction per month...lets you fight in perpetuity.

Dibujante posted:

+2 leader fire +2 leader shock and +1 leader shock from picking Thor as your personal deity gets you god generals very, very quickly.

You are, of course, playing Norse?

This is a thing?!? I never considered playing Norse because the listed bonuses for Norse (+10% to each forcelimit?) doesnt seem to great in the long term.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

No Years of Nationalism -10? For shame.

I really like the War Exhaustion reduction per month...lets you fight in perpetuity.

This is a thing?!? I never considered playing Norse because the listed bonuses for Norse (+10% to each forcelimit?) doesnt seem to great in the long term.

Norse lets you pick a personal deity. One of them gives +5% discipline, and one of them gives +1 land leader shock. Also, if you take religious ideas you get a holy war CB on literally all humans.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just make sure you start out strong enough because you wont have any friends.

I personally favor IdeaCost/TechCost/CoringCostReduction as starting points because they make saving points from the beginning very easy. I need to do an other custom nations game soon, maybe a Norse Switzerland, mountain vikings, best vikings.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

I personally favor IdeaCost/TechCost/CoringCostReduction as starting points because they make saving points from the beginning very easy. I need to do an other custom nations game soon, maybe a Norse Switzerland, mountain vikings, best vikings.

I am partial to Norse Kamchatkan steppe hordes rolling down on the unsuspecting Manchus.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah, if you're going to pick tech or idea cost reduction, I'd put them first choice unless there's a very pressing need for something else (forcelimit if you're an OPM, maybe).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I was thinking "hey this seems pretty good" but then you guys suggest me a western tech Norse Dutch Republic in Persia. This isn't just broken, this should actually crash the game with a "ok you win" screen.

(then the game threw me a 100 tradition general event, with full six points in shock. Holy poo poo.)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well clearly you want to win, but after the discipline and combat ability boosts are you really better served with another combat modifier or are you better off taking -nationalism or -war exhaustion to keep fighting forever?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of generals the wiki now has the actual stat generation instead of an educated guess. http://www.eu4wiki.com/Military_leader#Formulas_for_point_distribution

Basically the game generates a stat pool (from 1-7 at 0% tradition to 7-17 at 100% tradition) that is then semi-randomly distributed among the other stats.
The default distribution is 30/30/30/10 (fire/shock/maneuver/siege). If you have 6 in one stat things get more interesting. With 6 fire the chance is now 0/30/60/10, with 6 shock 60(!)/0/30/10 and with 6 siege (:v:) you get 30/40/30/0. If you have 6 maneuver and it generates a maneuver point it just rerolls.

This makes +leader shock by far the best leader stat you can get because any excess shock will go into fire. Also any +leader stat is never wasted.

The stat pool for monarchs is 50% AT + 7* mil skill. So above 85% AT generals will always be better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there a reason he should stay Norse? Shia's +10% Morale and Piety mechanics are more powerful than Norse, and you'll have (marginally) more friends.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm doing my Japan game again from an earlier save. My trade setup was having merchants steer trade at Girin, California, and Mexico, while I automatically collect from my home node (Nippon.) I've just taken Trade ideas, though, so I'm about to have a bunch more merchants to place. There's a whole crapload of nodes where I have trade power, but they don't feed to Nippon (Australia, Canton, the Phillipines, Malacca, and a few others,) so I figure I'll do something with them in those nodes, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, any tips?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

PittTheElder posted:

Is there a reason he should stay Norse? Shia's +10% Morale and Piety mechanics are more powerful than Norse, and you'll have (marginally) more friends.

Personal deities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm doing my Japan game again from an earlier save. My trade setup was having merchants steer trade at Girin, California, and Mexico, while I automatically collect from my home node (Nippon.) I've just taken Trade ideas, though, so I'm about to have a bunch more merchants to place. There's a whole crapload of nodes where I have trade power, but they don't feed to Nippon (Australia, Canton, the Phillipines, Malacca, and a few others,) so I figure I'll do something with them in those nodes, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, any tips?

I'm not sure what your exact situation is, but you could move your trade capital to the Malacca node and collect all of the trade you forward there. It is pretty easy to take the three +power provinces and drop a million trade ships there and suck in allll the money.

• Locked thread