Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

DNova posted:

lol high heels don just sending unsolicited pictures he considers sexy, probably jerking off to it :3:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

cheese-cube posted:

rendezvous with rama was awesome. would highly recommend it

edit: clarke's "rendezvous with rama" and asimov's "the gods themselves" really shaped my understanding a child, good books

i read rama forever ago, i need to find a copy and reread it

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

unggggh new regularcars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Chorrax posted:

my cousin won't shut up about this

No actual physicists believe in this kinda poo poo, right?

so the thing i read about this was basically they predict mini black holes will form in a certain situation if we really do live in a 3 dimensional universe. if they find mini black holes forming with significantly less energy required than that, then it might be evidence for "parallel dimensions" ie the universe might have more than 3 dimensions. it's basically a test for evidence for or against string theory being a thing, not like the comic book multiverses described in that title

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Chorrax posted:

my cousin won't shut up about this

No actual physicists believe in this kinda poo poo, right?

that is some shameful poo poo.

still, jokes on those assholes

we're delayed by at least another 2 weeks - 3 months :laugh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

so the thing i read about this was basically they predict mini black holes will form in a certain situation if we really do live in a 3 dimensional universe. if they find mini black holes forming with significantly less energy required than that, then it might be evidence for "parallel dimensions" ie the universe might have more than 3 dimensions. it's basically a test for evidence for or against string theory being a thing, not like the comic book multiverses described in that title

here, learn you some stuff about extra dimensions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMvT2sriq34

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
i wish i lived in a universe where my dick isnt so big

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

StarkingBarfish posted:

that is some shameful poo poo.

still, jokes on those assholes

we're delayed by at least another 2 weeks - 3 months :laugh:

can you guys generate tachyons or gravitons yet and/or can i get a graviton/tachyon cube made for my desk?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
i thought string theory had been largely abandoned already

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

fart simpson posted:

This is what happens when you accept 'theorist clutching at straws' as a source. Mini black holes are a really long shot- there's no evidence of them being created in eg: cosmic rays collisions in the upper atmosphere at energies way higher than the LHC. The whole parallel dimensions thing is bunk from an experimental perspective because even if there were more than 3D there's p. much nothing that lets us test that hypothesis.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wesley snypes posted:

you're thinking of loop quantum gravity

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

wesley snypes posted:

Not so much, but it's on the way out, pending another round of hype by the old white tenured dudes who make their living off it.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you're thinking of loop quantum gravity

That too.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

can you guys generate tachyons or gravitons yet and/or can i get a graviton/tachyon cube made for my desk?

Staples stocks those right next to the executive letter openers and poo poo.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
would you be willing to put your face in the beam path if it made you super smart but you ended up looking like that russian dude who did it the first time?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is what happens when you accept 'theorist clutching at straws' as a source. Mini black holes are a really long shot- there's no evidence of them being created in eg: cosmic rays collisions in the upper atmosphere at energies way higher than the LHC. The whole parallel dimensions thing is bunk from an experimental perspective because even if there were more than 3D there's p. much nothing that lets us test that hypothesis.

so if theres more than just 3d would it be cool to go inside a ship that could move in those extra dimensions

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Beast of Bourbon posted:

would you be willing to put your face in the beam path if it made you super smart but you ended up looking like that russian dude who did it the first time?

thats an improvement at both ends.

for reals though, that guy was left messed up, and not in a good way, even with the tiny beam he was exposed to. The LHC beam would leave a nice hole in your skull surrounded by extremely radioactive bits of you, assuming you didnt just end up plasma.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i would do it if the effects were reversed and I ended up sexy as gently caress but dumb as an impoverished objectivist

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i wish super-science was cooler. like you guys aim the beam at the moon and it grows like twice as large, or you aim it at a spider and it becomes a super smart spider and takes over the entire LHC until a team of special ops forces from America has to rescue you all from cocoons and when the gruff-voiced main guy unwraps the hot supermodel scientist you guys he says "now that's what i call a sticky situation" and roll credits.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the older i get the more i realize that the world just opens up for stupid attractive people and says "sure take whatever you want". that sounds nice

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

StarkingBarfish posted:

thats an improvement at both ends.

for reals though, that guy was left messed up, and not in a good way, even with the tiny beam he was exposed to. The LHC beam would leave a nice hole in your skull surrounded by extremely radioactive bits of you, assuming you didnt just end up plasma.

Hey can you go buy a fish or something at the market and set it up for the beam to collide with said fish then share the results? Thanks in advance.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Actually since Trig is here now maybe we can ask him for recommendations of what kind of fish to put in the collider.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
could you cook food with the collider beam?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
let me seeee

stonefish i reckon. just because they're kinda asking for it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Trig Discipline posted:

let me seeee

stonefish i reckon. just because they're kinda asking for it

ooh good choice

this is why we ask the experts, folks.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The beam is in really hard vacuum. It's hard to sneak a fish in there without anyone noticing.

Cheap dutch beer however...

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
how wide is the beam anyway? like what's its diameter, and how much of that is focused well enough to use (probably most of it right)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
can it make you go fast

pram
Jun 10, 2001
only one way to find out valeyard

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

can it make you go fast

sure if it destroys your mouth

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

only one way to find out valeyard

Trig Discipline posted:

sure if it destroys your mouth

I'm ready.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

wesley snypes posted:

how wide is the beam anyway? like what's its diameter, and how much of that is focused well enough to use (probably most of it right)

At the place where the beams collide it's about the width of a human hair. While it's going round the ring it's a bit thicker as it gets focussed then defocussed on either side of the experiments. It's mostly useable but it really depends on how stable it is. You get all kinds of harmonics and chaotic motion and stuff which means bits get shaved off against big gently caress-off collimators as it circulates. I can't give exact numbers as it's several years since we saw collisions, but generally a fill lasts ~7hrs and we maybe 'use up' the beam in half a day assuming it's stable long enough to do so. This is with about 40 million collisions per second in each experiment, and 10^15 protons per beam more or less, so about 0.2% of the injected protons see some action in the experiments on a good fill, and maybe 1/2 - 1/4 get chomped by the collimators. The rest end up splattered over the beam dump.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
wow, that's a lot less than i thought but it does make sense. thanks

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what is the vacuum in the lhc beam path?

when i used ion implanters at my old job we used cryopumps and the vacuum was 1e-6 torr or so but that was also with the outgassing caused by the beam striking photoresist and poo poo on the wafer, i imagine a beamline without an outgassing target gets a pretty rad vacuum.

what kinda pumps?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
would you want that beam to shoot out of your dilz on command, if you had the choice

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
not if it only shot once every 4 years and then broke every time

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if you just smash it into the beam dump what kinda current is it? do you measure beam current for dosimetry or do you use something else?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Valeyard posted:

not if it only shot once every 4 years and then broke every time

yeah you already have that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

• Locked thread