Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

This guy is like 40 now and still making those posts btw
What do your parents have to do to you for this to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Necc0 posted:

Lol it's both not my birthday and I'm not 32 :v:

Honestly what does this mean? (I'm not trolling)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ephedra posted:

Honestly what does this mean? (I'm not trolling)
it's basically virgin.jpg

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

metallicaeg posted:

it's basically virgin.jpg

I'm not quite sure what his request is... Lol...

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ephedra posted:

I'm not quite sure what his request is... Lol...
I'd guess it would be a thread where every other post is something like *Mario walks through the door with a birthday cake* or whatever people like that would imagine parties to be

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

metallicaeg posted:

I'd guess it would be a thread where every other post is something like *Mario walks through the door with a birthday cake* or whatever people like that would imagine parties to be

Oh man that is even more fantastic than I'd imagined hahahahahaa

I just thought he wanted people to post pictures of characters.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I like this party

*Mr Pink rushes B and gets the fast plant*

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Mr Pink at round start: Give me the cake.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Might as well repost it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAphqmZUPJM

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Reposting funny videos?

d2: http://youtu.be/ENpqTCrEC90

Ephedra fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 23, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sitting Bull posted:

i don't smurf because i'm too lazy but i have no moral objection to it

It's not a moral issue, it's a "being a dick" issue. I want to play relatively even games against people near my skill level. It's not fun either having a smurf or facing a smurf. To me, there is no meaningful difference between facing a smurf and facing an aimbotter. It's unfun in both cases, and for exactly the same reason. Also, the opinions of people who are high enough rank not to face many smurfs ring pretty hollow because they aren't the ones dealing with having half of their games made extremely tedious.

vehk
Jan 31, 2014
I reviewed a couple of my demo's from sub.io and noticed that when I'm shooting at someone parallel to me frequently my cross hair appears to be on the leading edge or outright leading my target. Are the demo's accurate in regards to crosshair placement or does the tick rate skew it?

I have a lot of hours logged in games that require target lead due to projectile mechanic so I wonder if in the moment that reflex takes over.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno about all those things you said bit I enjoy free wins and I also enjoy games that challenge my skill as a player more than others.

Honestly if I just get told that someone is a smurf at the start of a match instead of having to guess I'd be able to put up with smurfs a lot better than I usually do

E; demo tick rates are 12 iirc, so a thing to watch for them is that the shot will always always always come before the actual gun movement

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A player's a player. Doesn't matter what their 'true rank' is. You're stuck in the game with them. Better to shelve it and try to make it work than letting it get to you.

Still it's pretty interesting seeing the gap in opinions, going from "I enjoy using an alternate account to get free wins" to "There's no substantial difference between cheaters and smurfs".

Two sides of the same coin. Fact of the matter is, it shows no matter what system is in place, people are going to subjugate it. So, why care? There's nothing any player can do about it, by the time you even see them connect, it's too late to bail out of a match.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xenaero posted:

A player's a player. Doesn't matter what their 'true rank' is. You're stuck in the game with them. Better to shelve it and try to make it work than letting it get to you.

Still it's pretty interesting seeing the gap in opinions, going from "I enjoy using an alternate account to get free wins" to "There's no substantial difference between cheaters and smurfs".

Two sides of the same coin. Fact of the matter is, it shows no matter what system is in place, people are going to subjugate it. So, why care? There's nothing any player can do about it, by the time you even see them connect, it's too late to bail out of a match.

I'm not convinced at all that there's no way to prevent smurfs. Given that, I think it's worth talking about because it does have a real impact on what it's like for me to play the game. I'm not sitting there crying and bitching in every game where I see a smurf; I almost never comment on it in-game. But this is a discussion forum for CS:GO and there are people here who do it, so I'm going to voice my opinion. I don't know how to prevent smurfs, but I'm not a super smart Valve engineer who thinks about this for a living, and also I never noticed this being an issue in Dota, so it is probably possible.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
Played with my first smurf account today. A++ would berate silvers again.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm not convinced at all that there's no way to prevent smurfs. Given that, I think it's worth talking about because it does have a real impact on what it's like for me to play the game. I'm not sitting there crying and bitching in every game where I see a smurf; I almost never comment on it in-game. But this is a discussion forum for CS:GO and there are people here who do it, so I'm going to voice my opinion. I don't know how to prevent smurfs, but I'm not a super smart Valve engineer who thinks about this for a living, and also I never noticed this being an issue in Dota, so it is probably possible.

The is it is a very easy to abuse system because it's a very predictable system. Buy new account make sure you lose the first 2-3 games of your placement MM games. After that it doesn't matter if you 40 bomb every map you will be silver 1-3 (maybe 4).

I started at Silver 3 I'm at around 80 wins and I just hit DMG. If you are willing to tank some games you can make sure you stay down awhile longer.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Revenge of the Silvers. Join ESEA , voice_enable 0 , get some tunes going and pug away. Bathe in LEM tears.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dota forces you to go through a lengthy tutorial before you can play at all, and then you can't play ranked until you've leveled up to 10 (iirc) which takes ~30 hours. There' s a hidden rank in unranked too so you can't just start stomping right away or you'll be detected as a smurf long before you can start playing ranked (because there's actual smurf detection mechanics that check stats like your gold per minute and KD).

After you level up enough you still have to play 10 classification games in ranked, and only after those will you be able to finally start smurfing. If you went through all this just to be able to smurf then good riddance, go right ahead. People won't even mind cause running into a smurf isn't something that happens every other game like in CS:GO.

So yeah Valve knows how to handle smurfs.

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 23, 2015

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There is no reason for valve to address smurfing in csgo since they make money every time someone buys a new smurf account.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

bpower posted:

Revenge of the Silvers. Join ESEA , voice_enable 0 , get some tunes going and pug away. Bathe in LEM tears.

This already happens and I consider it my penance for making that knife-only-smurf-account goon 5-stack....and winning...

Some day in the future when I'm old I'll look up the usernames of those poor silvers we knifed to death, message them and try to apologize.

Only to find out it's too late and they took their lives after that ill-fated MM back in the spring of 2014.

Remember, it's never too late to make amends for your smurfing misdeeds, all it takes is a little courage.

For just 5 cents a day you too can help a fellow gamer get out of the silver mines and become a nova.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 23, 2015

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Making people play a 10 hour tutorial before hitting up matchmaking would be hilarious

I guess game purchases by smurfs money is greater than money earned on skins and boxes by the amount of people who get turned off by smurfs.

Most of the people I encounter smurfing try hard every match, like zero comedy buys for fun times. I'm sure there are some benign smurfs out there but I haven't seen it. Its not fun to play against and if you want to leave like a normal person would you get punished. Its not exactly I'm going to kill myself annoying but its usually 30-45 minutes of wasted time and if you aren't some student with nothing better to do that is annoying.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 23, 2015

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Ephedra posted:

Thing is early on it was about just smashing kids into the ground. For a long time now it hasn't been about top fragging. It has been about doing stupid poo poo like using an xbox controller or playing the whole game like it was your first or 2 game and asking people how to play. It's funny to hear how the game is viewed by silvers novas and even mges and dmgs.

I am curious about what happened to you at DMG rank that hurt your feelings bad enough to cause you do something like this.

astr0man posted:

There is no reason for valve to address smurfing in csgo since they make money every time someone buys a new smurf account.

Before they worry about the smurfs how about stopping the hackers. I know I really enjoy getting MMed vs a guy who gets running AK headshots constantly who has a VAC ban on his account less than a month old.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Man, people get really bent out of shape if your definition of fun doesn't match theirs.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Turk February posted:

Man, people get really bent out of shape if your definition of fun doesn't match theirs.

Who? The person buying 15 smurf accounts or the guy calling him a nut?

cuz I haven't reached for my wallet yet... :smug:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Some people's definition of fun is pulling the wings off of flies or playing anime dating sims, too.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So I'd read about it, but never actually experienced it myself. Ghost footsteps is some potential bullshit. You can clearly hear it at 0:15 and onwards, with an external view of the same thing after the first clip for comparison. Sorry about the bork bork, especially my high frequency bork bork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wELsLx6W_j4

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Elman posted:

Dota forces you to go through a lengthy tutorial before you can play at all, and then you can't play ranked until you've leveled up to 10 (iirc) which takes ~30 hours. There' s a hidden rank in unranked too so you can't just start stomping right away or you'll be detected as a smurf long before you can start playing ranked (because there's actual smurf detection mechanics that check stats like your gold per minute and KD).

After you level up enough you still have to play 10 classification games in ranked, and only after those will you be able to finally start smurfing. If you went through all this just to be able to smurf then good riddance, go right ahead. People won't even mind cause running into a smurf isn't something that happens every other game like in CS:GO.

So yeah Valve knows how to handle smurfs.

I'm down for this.

Turk February posted:

I'm not sure I see how that applies. It wouldn't matter if, say, Papa Smurf and Long John Silver have the same definition of fun, because the game PS is experiencing is one where he stomps a bunch of people who have no chance against him. The game LJS is experiencing is one where PS either stomps him while he has no chance, or one where PS stomps all the enemies so LJS doesn't get to play the actual game, just cleanup crew.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off like I'm mad or something. This is one of my more opinionated subjects in games but I'm not angry.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 23, 2015

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

twitch.tv/Ephedra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t8xwpW8gJQ

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

40 OZ posted:

Who? The person buying 15 smurf accounts or the guy calling him a nut?

cuz I haven't reached for my wallet yet... :smug:

lol ephedra is rich and could buy your girlfriend off of you if he wanted to. :smuggo:

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Maarek posted:

I am curious about what happened to you at DMG rank that hurt your feelings bad enough to cause you do something like this.

Nothing? I'm LEM.. Thanks though.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Well done going through my past and digging up poo poo like this... It was dark times then.... Just dumpstering all over me.. Jerk.

Yes they were all out of you at "the" store.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Smurfs have muddied my pregame cheat detection. In source you could just steam id check everyone and see how old their accounts were and what teams they had played on. New accounts were 99.9% of the time cheaters or really bad players. In GO, everyone apparently has 15 different steam accounts that are like 2 months old at most so you never have any idea who you are playing or when they bought the game. I assume any smurf at the global elite / supreme is cheating though, because why would you smurf (starting to hate this word) in the top divisions.

What's wrong with casual, or other non match making games? I thought match making was specifically for people who want to play an even game.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Mostly it's a fact of life and whatever, sometimes you win anyway. The other night though I played 3 games and the same loving dude dropped 40+ each in my first and third games. Unless there were only 10 people queueing GN3-4 I don't understand why god hates me personally

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Thanks to Valve's really stupid change to matchmaking, it's possible that some of those people made new accounts so they could play MM with their lower ranked friends. I've seen this more than a few times in MM and I have no idea why Valve thought it was necessary to restrict queueing based on rank.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
everything about csgo is poo poo, everything valve does is retarded, i deserve global

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jeza posted:

everything about csgo is poo poo, everything valve does is retarded, i deserve global
Coming soon: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Global Elite DLC. Automatically make your MM rank Global Elite by paying $8. M249 | Asimov skin included.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm an office-Global

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
Bill Belichick smurfs all the time and nobody hates on him for it.

MODS!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Rude, overweight man who dresses in dirty hoodies and sweatpants all the time and acts like a sore loser while breaking the rules... my god, it all makes sense now.

• Locked thread