Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

actually racism exists because white people are violent and dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

except for women because holy poo poo the things that happen to women on public transit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

this sort of ignores the pro-tier levels of racism experienced in the entire rest of the world that manage to at best only incidentally involve white people.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Baumhammers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
leave it to tori to find The Pittsburgh Connection

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

i don't think you really need tori to find racism in pennsylvania

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

personality test. its basically the test big box supermarkets make applicants take, except they disrupt the results with buzzwords and infographics

i think you have to be right, or else they'd run afoul of compliance poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

if you live in a big enough city then the cast of regulars is too big and varied to remember much though. there's probably over two thousand people that take the same buses to and from work as i do, to and from the same stops, around the same time

okay so say a bus can hold 50 people, so there's 40 busloads of people, with maybe one in 40 people being memorable

each day, there's x chance of being on the same bus as a memorable person, and as the days go on, your chance of seeing memorable people more than once go up

and the more you ride, the more memorable the less-memorable people become

i used to catch the first flight of the morning from FLL to TPA each week, and about a month in i noticed that it was the same (ordinary, well-behaved) people every time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

this sort of ignores the pro-tier levels of racism experienced in the entire rest of the world that manage to at best only incidentally involve white people.

white cultural imperialism

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly has the worst traffic in the country

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

okay so say a bus can hold 50 people, so there's 40 busloads of people, with maybe one in 40 people being memorable

each day, there's x chance of being on the same bus as a memorable person, and as the days go on, your chance of seeing memorable people more than once go up

yeah i only see "old asian dude who's pissed off at everything" every couple weeks, he's just always talking from the moment he gets on so he sticks out more

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Smythe posted:

im an american who started out with incredible privilege but i would never write a trashy article like that twitter review of the boughy bus and im not trying to self aggrandize here - i think (just imo) thats its the role of primary school educators and parents to ingrain a sense of compassion into their children and pupils and i'd like to think that my parents and schools succeeded in that. teaching that with privilege comes a responsibility to give back to the society which has given you so much already, and not to greedily horde luxury and joy for oneself like the trashcans on the $6 bus seem to eager to do. how about spending that money to upgrade public infrastructure so that all people of the city can enjoy a more pleasant commute? just ruminating here i guess and im sorry for the derail

you're asking a kind of huge question that involves things like

- why can't lovely relations between rich and poor be resolved through political policy, and what sort of behaviors will improve such relations
- if silicon valley is full of people trying to "revolutionize" society, why are they all so morally despicable
- why is the left obsessed with safe spaces instead of venturing into unsafe spaces
- who on earth thought a "free market" was some kind of end goal, and why
- why are the homeless people acting so crazy in the first place
- where does compassion come from

pretty big questions, probably too big for D&D even

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the answer to the first one is that all of the poor in this country are either successfully conditioned into self-loathing or successfully conditioned into thinking they're temporarily embarassed rich

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Yea didn't you know all poor people only have two types of negative mindsets (due to their inferior, easily conditionable brains). Sheesh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well yeah of course otherwise they wouldn't be poor would they :smug:

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
obviously poor people dont mind taking the bus with the rich people they aspire to be, but rich people want poors out of the way

why is this? why did that reviewer want her bus to be in a bubble, instead of cussing out the startup and saying "we are all san franciscans". i don't think that's a stupid question to ask. i'm from the east coast but from my teenage years through 2005 or so, i always had a mental image of the city as activist, pro-gay, etc.

homeless people always migrate to CA (because its warm), and san francisco has a history of hardcore activists trying to help the poor for the sake of the city. one such person wrote a long article to LRB bitching about all the tech people http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n03/rebecca-solnit/diary

rebecca solnit clearly considers herself a resident of SF. but in an important sense, these yuppies don't. the politician you vote for has no influence on that at all

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nagato posted:

- why is the left obsessed with safe spaces instead of venturing into unsafe spaces

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the solution to not being poor is easy

1. stop being poor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nagato posted:

obviously poor people dont mind taking the bus with the rich people they aspire to be, but rich people want poors out of the way

why is this? why did that reviewer want her bus to be in a bubble, instead of cussing out the startup and saying "we are all san franciscans". i don't think that's a stupid question to ask. i'm from the east coast but from my teenage years through 2005 or so, i always had a mental image of the city as activist, pro-gay, etc.

homeless people always migrate to CA (because its warm), and san francisco has a history of hardcore activists trying to help the poor for the sake of the city. one such person wrote a long article to LRB bitching about all the tech people http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n03/rebecca-solnit/diary

rebecca solnit clearly considers herself a resident of SF. but in an important sense, these yuppies don't. the politician you vote for has no influence on that at all

if only more housing was built closer to the techies place of employment

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

look at this heinous bullshit
https://www.pomello.com/
culture fit as a service

okcupid branching out

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

okcupid for the enterprise
gently caress

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

fart simpson posted:

white cultural imperialism

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

ah, okay, you made lovely choices about where to live and now you want to blame someone else.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

if only more housing was built closer to the techies place of employment

I have an affordable apartment that is close to work*

* that I can't ever move out of**

** because I happened to move there 10 years ago and I have rent control***

*** gently caress you, got mine

so the best way to find affordable housing in SF is a time machine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, i have a new definition for the singularity

it's the point at which it becomes cheaper to develop causality violating time travel than to afford to live in sf

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I have an affordable apartment that is close to work*

* that I can't ever move out of**

** because I happened to move there 10 years ago and I have rent control***

*** gently caress you, got mine

so the best way to find affordable housing in SF is a time machine

tech bros start having sham gay marriages to transfer rent controlled leases to one another

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

it's the point at which it becomes cheaper to develop causality violating time travel than to afford to live in sf

the most achievable one I've seen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'll allow it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

tech bros start having sham gay marriages to transfer rent controlled leases to one another

this has sort of already happened, Kwinkles knows two dudes who pretended to be gay to get a mortgage on a condo in Austin.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
2-step verification, gotta let the landlord watch you give it to your boyfriend before you can sign the lease

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I asked the missus what if uber drivers dont even make minimum wage. she said noone is forcing them to be uber drivers

:epicfaceplam:

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

I asked the missus what if uber drivers dont even make minimum wage. she said noone is forcing them to be uber drivers

:epicfaceplam:

the problem is never the corporation. the problem is always the people who are too stupid to know whats good for them

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/09/the_nanny_state_didnt_show_up.html

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

this has sort of already happened, Kwinkles knows two dudes who pretended to be gay to get a mortgage on a condo in Austin.

lol nice

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gay for the stay

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
ho-mo for teh con-do

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nagato posted:

pretty big questions, probably too big for D&D even

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

good

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Smythe posted:

someday youll find it
the pittsburgh connection
the yinzers
the steelers
tori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU