Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Emus are embarrassingly stupid creatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpYBwzlfTc

this is so ridiculous why am I laughing so much

davidspackage posted:

Oh my God, they're like shrieking ladies pulling up their dresses near a mouse.

I have got to get one of those, I think my cat'll love it.

your cat will stare at it and then walk away and lie down while you wonder why you spend twenty dollars on this stupid rolling ball when a five dollar laser pointer will literally tire your cat to death and both of you will love every moment of it.

Leper Residue has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Gorilla Salad posted:

Emus are embarrassingly stupid creatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpYBwzlfTc

They really are stupid, as in stop your car if they're running beside it because they'll run in front of it and you both will die stupid.

This is pretty much a snake reaction that you see going on here. They're trying to make sure the snake doesn't go after eggs / leaves them alone.

As an added #emufact you can see what has made them famous for sticking their heads in the sand to avoid trouble. They don't actually stick heads in sand as the common trope would have you believe but lower their bodies to the ground while still watching what is going on. Because of the distance people were seeing them at while this happened plus heat shimmers it just appeared that way to people.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Electric Hobo posted:

My cat's a Maine Coon, so he's huge, walks on a leash, fetches thrown balls and makes a lot of noise when someone rings the doorbell. It's almost like having an rear end in a top hat dog.

One of my childhood cats was either half or 3/4ths Maine Coon and she was the hugest sweetheart :3: I wish we'd had a digital camera at the time. Also a living cliche; she literally followed my mother home one day. Walked right in, used the litter box, ate out of the food bowl, then thumped down in the hallway like she'd always been there. Never left. I'll go digging around later tomorrow and see if I can find any pictures of her.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Malachite_Dragon posted:

she literally followed my mother home one day. Walked right in, used the litter box, ate out of the food bowl, then thumped down in the hallway like she'd always been there. Never left.

Fantastic.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Walked right in, used the litter box, ate out of the food bowl, then thumped down in the hallway like she'd always been there. Never left. I'll go digging around later tomorrow and see if I can find any pictures of her.

This is almost how we got Oliver Dog when I was a kid. Mom opened the side door to call in the cat and a little wiener dog ran in, got on the couch, and stayed for 15 years.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005

This used to be the greatest use of the battle template on wikipedia, but wikipedia editors hate fun.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Fascinating bird, I had never heard of it.

Also, it seems very similar to the south american "ema", even in the name. I wonder if they are related. The ema is also know for sticking her head in the sand when in danger.

The ema:

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

That's a rhea (or like you said, in Portuguese, a ema). They are both ratites, and likely related in the distant past. Also included in that group are ostriches, cassowaries, and kiwi birds. To think that a 300 lb, 6ft ostrich could be related to a kiwi is crazy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This was in the related videos of the emu one. They really are stupid creatures, but also they are basically Chocobo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A84DSgU6mQY

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

This was in the related videos of the emu one. They really are stupid creatures, but also they are basically Chocobo

Also big fans of the LOTR films apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4J1yOGJ9wI

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Fascinating bird, I had never heard of it.

I drive past a commercial emu farm on my way to work every day in Florida. They're apparently pretty good eating.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Repost from the gif thread:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ratites also include the giant extinct moa of New Zealand and the elephant birds of Madagascar, and technically, probably, the tinamous of central and south america, which are little fat ground birds that can still fly:

There's also a growing amount of evidence that the family tree looks something like this:

which is pretty interesting because it means that ratites became flightless and adapted into fairly similar-looking giant herbivores/omnivores on four or five separate occasions on multiple continents/islands. There's a good article on it in two parts here, if anyone's interested.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Repost from the gif thread:

Neither one of my cats has any kind of reaction to their reflection in the mirror. Because of this, I feel like I'm missing out on one of the perks of cat ownership.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I really wanted to get this little guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He got a big head!

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Apparently there was some sort of mutiversal incursion in Earth Prime's White House today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:3:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

I'm sure he's on it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I can't take it. I can't take this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I can't take it. I can't take this.
"You aren't thinking about moving, are you? Are you?"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hakkesshu posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/eSkI

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ohmygod this is amazing. The way it was lined up, the "Yahoo!" was right after the slow zoom on the one, right as it takes off. Perfect. :kimchi:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Happy cow!
http://i.imgur.com/AqLvXJh.webm

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

More foxes than your body has room for

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Rabbit Hill posted:

Neither one of my cats has any kind of reaction to their reflection in the mirror. Because of this, I feel like I'm missing out on one of the perks of cat ownership.

The first time my cat Pearl (when she was new) saw her reflection in the mirror on the inside of my wardrobe door (it wasn't visible when the door was closed), she stared at it, bristled all over, and then FLUNG herself at it in full attack mode. She hit it paws and nose first and bounced off and I had to comfort her while falling about laughing. I explained to her that Parallel Universe Pearl couldn't get at us, she was behind very thick glass, but it was very brave of her to fight so hard to defend our home. She accepted this and relaxed, but she always kept a wary eye on Parallel Universe Pearl when the wardrobe was open from then on, just in case she tried something.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Some fun schadenfreude reposting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w2UxDdhZPk

A golden retriever who just doesn't quite have the hang of catching food.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rabbit Hill posted:

I had 5 cats in my life and none of then had any reaction to mirrors, and I always tried to interest then on it :(

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Transmogrifier posted:

I could watch this video forever :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Transmogrifier posted:

We had a labrador like that. I've owned dogs for forty years and not one ever had to be taught how to catch food. They're dogs, it's food, it's coming in at face height, chomp. Easy. Even if you don't get it the first time, the concept comes naturally, right?

But not this dog. It would bounce off his head, fall on the ground and then he'd eat it. Every time. We were initially worried he had vision problems. But he would chase balls okay. Wouldn't catch them of course, just sit there looking blankly at you with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth while you bounced tennis balls gently between his eyes. Then look all surprised when a ball suddenly materialised at his feet. Tennis ball? Where did that come from?

I took him to the vet to get him checked out and did the tossing food for him to get her opinion. The vet thought it was so funny she could barely stand. Her diagnosis: his eyes were fine, he was just really stupid.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Transmogrifier posted:

Not to be that guy, but they shouldn't feed their dog so much fat and sugar. :ohdear:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not to be that guy, but they shouldn't feed their dog so much fat and sugar. :ohdear:

Fortunately it looks like he'd never get to eat it anyway.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus I kinda doubt it was all in one day.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Zeroisanumber posted:

The guy wrote in the comments section that he lets the dog eat a teeny bit but takes the rest back and gives him a dog treat or something.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I had 5 cats in my life and none of then had any reaction to mirrors, and I always tried to interest then on it :(

Same. I've owned cats and lived with other people who had cats, and I'd never seen it before.

Until last week, when I woke up to my girlfriend's cat batting at herself in the mirror on the closet sliding door. Apparently my girlfriend had never seen her do it either, and she's had her for ~6 years.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

My cat ignores mirrors, laser pens, and has no reaction to catnip. If it weren't for the fact she's very easily spooked I'd get no entertainment out of her at all.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Same. I've owned cats and lived with other people who had cats, and I'd never seen it before.

Until last week, when I woke up to my girlfriend's cat batting at herself in the mirror on the closet sliding door. Apparently my girlfriend had never seen her do it either, and she's had her for ~6 years.

"Six years... for six long years have I studied you, my nemesis... your every move, every twitch, have been my unrelenting tutors... you have been more intimate to me than a lover; your body no more a mystery to me than my own. And now, after my years of study... I STRIKE!!!:catdrugs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Elias_Maluco posted:

How can you have 5 cats and not learn the golden cat rule, if you want them to be interested they never ever will be :3:

See also: Purpose made cat beds as opposed to the empty box it came in.

• Locked thread