Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

overtone posted:

I think season 3 is just as good as season 2 but just think it's strange that we haven't seen some reveal about how he was saved after the break. It still has to be the Lazarus Pit, right? Maseo and Tatsu sneaking him in?

He was saved by the magical herbs from the Weed Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That'd be a good way to get out of the 'prophecy' though. He didn't survive the blade.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Season 2 is awesome so far. Sarahs return was expected, however I didn't see her being a masked crime fighter. Really liking the League of Shadows too.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Season 3 lacks a big bad. The only nefarious schemer we have had all season is chilling out on Thea's couch. Ra's had been remarkably reasonable for a guy who leads an organization called the League of Assassins. All he asked for was that the killer of one of his agents be brought to justice. After making a threat to get Team Arrow to stop dragging their heels, Oliver forced him into a duel even though they both knew Oliver didn't kill Sara. Ra's then returned Diggle, Merlyn and Oliver to Starling CIty with no further harm done. At the end of last episode when he is posing as The Arrow, he didn't shoot an innocent couple, or a pickpocket, he shot three cop killers (who were planning to kill more cops), which is right in line with Season 1 Oliver's sense of justice. Even the proposal to be Ra's heir isn't all that unreasonable - Oliver is unhappy, is uncomfortable wearing the Oliver Queen hat, has no life outside of vigilantism, and hasn't made much of a difference in cleaning up Starling City (one of the city's major tragedies only occurred because of him).

Chugging along with Ra's as the season's big villain, when he has been a relatively decent guy, has made this season feel really directionless. Season 1 had Oliver becoming The Arrow and Merlyn wanting to kill all the poors. Season 2 had Brother Blood and then Slade trying to take over the city with an army of super strength goons and making Oliver's life hell. This season has been about the nicest assassin king ever, and his goal of getting one of the most honorable guys he has come across to lead his organization.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Ra's is not this season's big bad, Oliver is. That's why he's being such an rear end in a top hat. I am continually mystified by this thread's inability to understand that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That's what I'm seeing, without a real enemy to focus on Ollie is basically on the path of a slow self destruct.

The Arrow needs a target or it has no purpose.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Whizbang posted:

Ra's is not this season's big bad, Oliver is. That's why he's being such an rear end in a top hat. I am continually mystified by this thread's inability to understand that.

Yeah, we don't understand it because it's stupid as gently caress.

Seriously, when Ollie starts mass-murdering innocent civilians, then you can come back to us and talk about how he's this season's Big Bad. Right now he's simply going through a sort of identity crisis, that's it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't say we, I don't think any of the others want to be lumped in with you.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Whizbang posted:

They do not "understand" that because some of posters in this thread (who are not you) have a grasp on the distinction between plot and theme.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

Every show declines.

Except Walking Dead.
I hope this is ironic or something. I mean, I hear TWD got better again but to say season 2 and 3 didn't decline is some high-larity.

zoux posted:

No!!! Don't you understand season three is bad????
You're becoming really weird about this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The plot and theme are Oliver is being a self-doubting rear end in a top hat. Like, he's considering become Ra's al-Ghul, I don't know how much more the show can spell it out for you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

Don't say we, I don't think any of the others want to be lumped in with you.

No need to be a dick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I hope this is ironic or something. I mean, I hear TWD got better again but to say season 2 and 3 didn't decline is some high-larity.

We were talking about ratings, Speedy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Whizbang posted:

The plot and theme are Oliver is being a self-doubting rear end in a top hat. Like, he's considering become Ra's al-Ghul, I don't know how much more the show can spell it out for you.

You realize that Ra's al-Ghul is a vigilante just like Oliver, right? The only difference is that he is willing to kill people who do wrong, whereas Ollie isn't. But he isn't a villain like Malcolm or Slade.

Ollie's considering to become Ra's al-Ghul is basically symbolism for regression. He used to kill people in Season 1, then stopped, and now he might go back to doing it. Whether or not he does it as the new leader of the League of Assassins isn't particularly important.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm on episode 8 and here we go with Barry Allen! I should've known he was just around the corner when they started talking about Particle Accelerators.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Ok, then let's try it another way: you don't seem to understand what a "big bad" is. An emotional problem is not a "big bad". Like, it's literally short for "big bad wolf". A "big bad" is a person, who is not the hero, who threatens the hero, who the hero fights against. It is not just general shorthand for "any antagonistic force".

People are not saying "this season has no antagonist". They are saying that without a real external enemy, scenes and entire episodes get lost in the muck of Oliver & the group's inner turmoil as it wallows in the themes of him and the rest of the team doubting him, without anything ever really happening.

(also notice that I said that individual scenes/episodes get lost to that, and not that literally nothing has happened. many things have happened. just not enough.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That theme has at least allowed them to reestablish Diggle as his best friend and grounding point.

"I don't wanna die down here, John..." :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spoiler pics from episode 18

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oh gently caress will Lance join up with the League? I also assume this will be when he is pointblank told that Ollie is Arrow

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh gently caress will Lance join up with the League? I also assume this will be when he is pointblank told that Ollie is Arrow

Related to your spoiler: I doubt he'll join, more like get used by Ra's, but it wouldn't surprise me if he finds out Ollie is Arrow during the scene those pics are from. I also think last week's episode might be the only time Ra's does his Arrow bit. Just have to kill like 3 dudes to get Lance's panties in a twist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

zoux posted:

I would be interested to see how many of the people who say that the show is terrible now watched seasons one and two binge-style.

I actually did binge-watch the show catching up till about the midpoint of season 3, and season 3 is far less interesting than either of the other two. I don't really care about the show doing dumb or implausible things -- it's a comic book adaptation, I can accept dumb, even enjoy it sometimes -- but this whole season feels like it's just spinning its wheels, both in the present and in the flashback.

That said I'm a few episodes behind still, and the show's recovered semi-elegantly from dull or repetitive plot lines before, so we'll see.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I actually did binge-watch the show catching up till about the midpoint of season 3, and season 3 is far less interesting than either of the other two. I don't really care about the show doing dumb or implausible things -- it's a comic book adaptation, I can accept dumb, even enjoy it sometimes -- but this whole season feels like it's just spinning its wheels, both in the present and in the flashback.

That said I'm a few episodes behind still, and the show's recovered semi-elegantly from dull or repetitive plot lines before, so we'll see.

Just to add an alternate point of view, I've been watching roughly since the pilot, and I feel mostly the same way you do about the current season.

I am still enjoying the show, and the flashbacks don't bother me as much as they do a lot of people (though, despite not being bothered by them, if ya twisted my arm I'd probably admit the show could better use the time) but... this season has felt like the weakest one to me.

Although, someone said the Dig/Oliver relationship has had a chance to shine lately and that is definitely true, and that's been really fun. It'd be cool if he got a plot of his own... spoiler for upcoming stuff though I guess Deadshot is showing up soon so maybe I'll get my wish?

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Okay, don't know if anyone else had says this.

But I just realized something. Arrow has been taking a hell of a lot from Batman, and in the Paleyfest trailer they showed Lance turning on him, hunting him and even raiding the "Arrowcave". This of course strongly reminded me of the classic Batman animated episode "Over the Edge". Especially since both scenarios started off with the death of the police officer's vigilante daughter. But of course that episode was all a Scarecrow induced hallucination.

...then I remembered that the villain of the first episode was Vertigo, who was suddenly and inexplicably in that episode made extremely Scarecrow-esque, and had already nailed Ollie with fear drug, repeatedly I believe.

So the long and short of it I will now be paranoid that the entire season is a hallucination :p

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

VBane posted:

Okay, don't know if anyone else had says this.

But I just realized something. Arrow has been taking a hell of a lot from Batman, and in the Paleyfest trailer they showed Lance turning on him, hunting him and even raiding the "Arrowcave". This of course strongly reminded me of the classic Batman animated episode "Over the Edge". Especially since both scenarios started off with the death of the police officer's vigilante daughter. But of course that episode was all a Scarecrow induced hallucination.

...then I remembered that the villain of the first episode was Vertigo, who was suddenly and inexplicably in that episode made extremely Scarecrow-esque, and had already nailed Ollie with fear drug, repeatedly I believe.

So the long and short of it I will now be paranoid that the entire season is a hallucination :p

Nope, literally no one has thought this.

Everyone has thought this.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Deakul posted:

I don't want to live in a world without

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Deakul posted:

The parallel were obvious, I knew that, it was the fact he fought Vertigo in the premiere that I'd completely forgotten and wasn't sure how many others had done the same.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Woooooo, finally all caught up. Hell of a ride so far. I can agree with others that this season seems to lack a big bad, which makes it seem less...cohesive, maybe? I'm still liking it, though. And I don't hate Laurel anymore, so there's that. All the people complaining all she does is get her rear end kicked, well yeah, of course she does. She's grieving, and she's got fire in her gut, but she's had precious little training, and what's she has had can't keep up. She seems to do okay with single attackers, but more than one and she gets knocked around.

The crossover episode was great, too. I didn't understand some of the references they made, but I'm about to start Flash, so it'll catch up. I'm pretty familiar with the comics, so that helped a bit, too. While I was watching it, I had to look up the Flash Rant, which always makes me laugh. Looking forward to more superhero antics.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Just to add an alternate point of view, I've been watching roughly since the pilot, and I feel mostly the same way you do about the current season.

I am still enjoying the show, and the flashbacks don't bother me as much as they do a lot of people (though, despite not being bothered by them, if ya twisted my arm I'd probably admit the show could better use the time) but... this season has felt like the weakest one to me.

Although, someone said the Dig/Oliver relationship has had a chance to shine lately and that is definitely true, and that's been really fun. It'd be cool if he got a plot of his own... spoiler for upcoming stuff though I guess Deadshot is showing up soon so maybe I'll get my wish?

If you are going to spoiler stuff get your tags right

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dig and lyla's vows were great

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Felicity has tiny eyes.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The one way to Felicity's heart, topless exercise!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Latest satellite imagery...on my Windows tablet!

Why is Deadshot getting a flashback?

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.
I'd be satisfied if the rest of the episode was Deadshot's flashback.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, poo poo.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Well that was a hilarious smoke bomb

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How easily Ray did that is pretty funny.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aphrodite posted:

How easily Ray did that is pretty funny.

Well he does have one of those visors that is basically magic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, Felicity must do nothing but situps when she's not being tech guru for Ollie and Ray.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how they didn't just use a picture of him and made it look like a computer recreation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Boooo ray no one likes you

• Locked thread