Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Doesn't count until I see the Commander Variant change in Wizards' comprehensive rules. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ahahahaha, holy poo poo what a terrible change, I love having no ways to deal with lovely, broken commanders.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So Chaos Warp still works then. Nice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wezlar posted:

You didn't block my manifest? Oh ok you're dead.

Honestly if they can get their Commander into their library, get it to the top, Manifest it, Voltron it up and swing for the kill without you messing up their plan in some way, then you deserve it :colbert: What would an EDH deck built around Manifest even look like?

E: I guess they could use Brainstorm or Top but if their Commander goes to their hand and they don't re-cast it then you should be on the lookout for tricks anyway.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 24, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

So Chaos Warp still works then. Nice.

Are you just riffing on his comment that tuck is all white and blue?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Devor posted:

Are you just riffing on his comment that tuck is all white and blue?

Well, I'm under the assumption that 'tuck' means 'put it on the bottom of the library'.

Chaos Warp doesn't do that. :v:

Nor does Warp World :getin:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Well, I'm under the assumption that 'tuck' means 'put it on the bottom of the library'.

You misread the replacement effect:

If your commander would go into the library or your hand, you may choose to put it into the command zone. It’s as simple as that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

-50 Sheldon Points

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Which retard gave that man and his playgroup complete control over the Commander format because lmao.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Oh no, they changed the rules of the just for fun casual format to be more conducive to casual fun. Magic is ruined.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Henron posted:

Which retard gave that man and his playgroup complete control over the Commander format because lmao.

Sorry, those cards are not promoting healthy gameplay.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

Oh no, they changed the rules of the just for fun casual format to be more conducive to casual fun. Magic is ruined.

Yes, casual fun like Zur or Narset running a train on everyone else

What's especially dumb about the logic is that while U/W excel at tuck effects, G/B excel at getting the commander back to the hand if they get tucked.

The only colour that loses out is red and even that has workarounds like Citanul Flute.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Oh, so now tuck doesn't work? The one and only thing that makes it possible to deal with broken combo rear end in a top hat commanders besides refusing to play them? Great work, guys, A loving +.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
If Sheldon can just find a way to eliminate "losing" as a possible outcome in magic, we'll finally have achieved eradication of all feelbads, aka, the singularity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MiddleEastBeast posted:

If Sheldon can just find a way to eliminate "losing" as a possible outcome in magic, we'll finally have achieved eradication of all feelbads, aka, the singularity.
I think it's more like he's working toward eliminating "winning".

SphericalDan
Sep 30, 2006
I claim this booty in the name of France :D
It's a casual format, if you don't want to play by the new rules in your playgroup you don't have to. seems like the change caters to casual playgroups and not the cut-throats.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SphericalDan posted:

It's a casual format, if you don't want to play by the new rules in your playgroup you don't have to. seems like the change caters to casual playgroups and not the cut-throats.

But the cutthroat players are more likely to care about a change in rules.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I still don't understand why you would subject yourself to competitive EDH

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glad to see Sheldon finally noticed this thing that French 1v1 has been doing for years!

The joke is that Sol Ring is allowed but Sylvan Primordial is too OP for Sheldon.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm confused about this Manifested Commander damage thing. So do you have to show everyone that the Manifest is actually your Commander, or can you just surprise the fun out of them right when they hit 21 damage?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

qbert posted:

I'm confused about this Manifested Commander damage thing. So do you have to show everyone that the Manifest is actually your Commander, or can you just surprise the fun out of them right when they hit 21 damage?

I think it means the game knows when a manifested card is your commander and that such is public information. Somehow. And it'd count as you controlling it for things like Lt. Kraken.

I think it's just clarifying what was always the case, since Red Akroma has morph.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think it means the game knows when a manifested card is your commander and that such is public information. Somehow. And it'd count as you controlling it for things like Lt. Kraken.

I think it's just clarifying what was always the case, since Red Akroma has morph.

And Ixidron could always turn poo poo face down. The face-down exile rules are weird - did they ever 'fix' the Pyxis trick?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Reminder that EDH is now a sanctioned FNM format and at least 2 stores I know of run it (..concurrently with standard and/or draft). So lmao that it remains sheldon's terrible rules playground.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

LordSaturn posted:

And Ixidron could always turn poo poo face down. The face-down exile rules are weird - did they ever 'fix' the Pyxis trick?

They just did.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Does this mean you can just Dash out Kolaghan/Biff Tannen for 5/2 mana all day every day?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

No more than before. It either returns to your hand or you dash it for dash it from the command zone for dash cost+2 times the amount of times your commander has returned to the commander zone.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Ah, I figured the Dash cost would be a workaround, didn't think it'd +2 the cost every time, nevermind.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah. It's still casting it, not an activated ability like Derevi.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

Reminder that EDH is now a sanctioned FNM format and at least 2 stores I know of run it (..concurrently with standard and/or draft). So lmao that it remains sheldon's terrible rules playground.

To be fair literally anything is now an FNM format, even formats you make up yourself.

One of my friends has been joking about getting our store to run Chaos Sealed (everybody brings six packs, throw them in a garbage bag and shake it up, distribute)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
EDH is actually a cool format if you're friends aren't dicks and you play silly theme decks and don't care about winning.

Hell, Pauper EDH is probably the coolest format

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

UberJew posted:

To be fair literally anything is now an FNM format, even formats you make up yourself.

One of my friends has been joking about getting our store to run Chaos Sealed (everybody brings six packs, throw them in a garbage bag and shake it up, distribute)

If I show up to play with my ridiculously expensive foil deck to win a prize less than working minimum wage after 3 hours of play, there had better be solid rules backing it up.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Glad to see Sheldon finally noticed this thing that French 1v1 has been doing for years!

The joke is that Sol Ring is allowed but Sylvan Primordial is too OP for Sheldon.

I think there's a bit of a distinction between Very Good Ramp like Sol Ring and a card that has an abusable ETB effect that affects all opponents, and that's why one got banned. Albeit, my store banned Sol Ring, but I think the point is that Sol Ring is really only good early in the game in terms of being busted, whereas Primordial can be tutored for and can be bounced/exiled and returned repeatedly.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Henron posted:

It's not like it's an actual competitive format, you're under no obligation to follow Sheldon's Rules.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao if you actually are playing Commander for FNM with prizes on the line or really anywhere other than around the kitchen table.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, casual fun like Zur or Narset running a train on everyone else

Maybe there are ways of dealing with those that don't incidentally gently caress over decks that want to actually use their commanders and aren't super busted? I'm sure someone will think of something. Tuck fest is boring and durdly as poo poo, and I'm glad it'll be gone.

Also reminder that literally any made up format can be FNM, there's nothing stopping your store from using house rules if that's what people want.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
haha holy gently caress new commander rules own as in it really owns i sold my commander stuff gently caress you sheldon

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I guess I misinterpreted the new rule.

Guess I can't run Chaos Warp anymore.

I'm still running Warp World.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I guess I misinterpreted the new rule.

Guess I can't run Chaos Warp anymore.

I'm still running Warp World.

I'm going to keep running Chaos Warp in red decks just because it will still be reds best removal spell in EDH.

I'm pretty mixed on the change though. On one hand, I hate getting my general tucked, on the other, there are commanders who are just so powerful that yeah they need a way to be gotten rid of that doesn't just let them come back the next turn.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Fiend Computer posted:

I'm going to keep running Chaos Warp in red decks just because it will still be reds best removal spell in EDH.

I'm pretty mixed on the change though. On one hand, I hate getting my general tucked, on the other, there are commanders who are just so powerful that yeah they need a way to be gotten rid of that doesn't just let them come back the next turn.

At the very least Arrest/Control Magic effects and that weird card from the green precon that turns a dude into a forest can slow them down until they dig up enchantment/permanent removal. There's also the option of running a shitload of removal and driving their commander's cost up faster than they amass mana. (Except for that rear end in a top hat Derevi, of course.)

It really is a double-edged sword as you said, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Coming in Q2 2016: magic keeps up with the cool kids and releases Small Heroes TM product, compatible with their old commander products!

• Locked thread