Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Time to make my Goblins EDH deck a proper Tiny Leaders deck. Mono-red sucks in Commander anyways :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Are people even running tutors to find their commanders and not to find the cards they need in their 100 card singleton decks?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wezlar posted:

Are people even running tutors to find their commanders and not to find the cards they need in their 100 card singleton decks?

No, they're pretty much just to find the other half of your combo or get your engine going.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Four Score posted:

Time to make my Goblins EDH deck a proper Tiny Leaders deck. Mono-red sucks in Commander anyways :negative:

Someone has never heard of Feldon.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

lol if you're playing commander and this rule makes you mad because now you can't beat the decks that should combo off too fast to be vulnerable to tuck effects anyways (aka what you should be playing if you had any clue what you were doing)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

Coming in Q2 2016: magic keeps up with the cool kids and releases Small Heroes TM product, compatible with their old commander products!
I'd be cool with that since it's also an excuse to release good legacy and/or cube cards, which is basically the most exciting part of the commander decks for me.

They'd just call it Tiny Leaders anyway, since unlike EDH, that name is marketable and cool.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Ultima66 posted:

lol if you're playing commander

I joke but having watched people play 1v1 commander at fnm I honestly don't see why anyone would choose to play it over any of the other formats. Baffles me even more that I know several people who play nothing but edh

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Wurzag posted:

I joke but having watched people play 1v1 commander at fnm I honestly don't see why anyone would choose to play it over any of the other formats. Baffles me even more that I know several people who play nothing but edh

1v1 edric is the true essence of magic, and if people would play against it with their garbage commander decks all day I would rather do that than play any other format tbh

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

EDH is a circlejerking format, it's bad if you circlejerk with only one buddy. you have two hands, use them people!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Four Score posted:

You clearly haven't played Norin the Wary.

There's nothing more wonderful than getting multiple triggers out of Goblin Matron using Cloudstone Curio, Warstorm Surge, Pandemonium, and Confusion in the Ranks.

Also, Purphoros and the newly gifted Impact Tremors.

And all I need to do is cast Norin once and wait. People will play dudes and swing with dudes. Nor in does everything else.

Also, your favorite combination is Nor in, Genesis Chamber, and Confusion in the Ranks.

I have never seen so many people afraid of Confusion in the Ranks in my life. :getin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wurzag posted:

French 1v1 is actually an amazingly diverse format where about 20 different dudes make up the top tier. If you want to play "Ux control" you've got Narset, Tasigur, Wydwen, Nin, and Thraximundar as choices for this, all of which play differently from each other.

I'm waiting for Tiny Leaders to develop a real cool metagame since it seems to be kind of the same except with Anafenza and Geist doing donuts in the parking lot and I want to know if I'm way off.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wezlar posted:

Only in Magical Sheldon Land.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chill la Chill posted:

Coming in Q2 2016: magic keeps up with the cool kids and releases Small Heroes TM product, compatible with their old commander products!

Unironically pumped for that; at least some of those cards would have an impact in Legacy due to the low cmc nature of Tiny Leaders.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

Unironically pumped for that; at least some of those cards would have an impact in Legacy due to the low cmc nature of Tiny Leaders.

can't do that because then you'll repeat what happened with TNN

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

can't do that because then you'll repeat what happened with TNN

You still had stuff like Rain of Filth(?) and Fork-Mage that at least have a bit of an impact without going Pro-Player or anything, and even then TNN is not some oppressive monster.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

You still had stuff like Rain of Filth(?) and Fork-Mage that at least have a bit of an impact without going Pro-Player or anything, and even then TNN is not some oppressive monster.

Toxic Deluge, right?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Unfortunately Force of Will is not tiny leaders compatible, but you know what is? Wasteland. And it'll be uncommon for a printing like that like it should be.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Toxic Deluge, right?

Are we sure it's not Dirty Rain? :v:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I like how they got rid of tuck to mitigate the need to play tutors, instead of just getting rid of the stupid loving tutors in the first place. Survival of the Fittest is not banned in a singleton format lol.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

And Ixidron could always turn poo poo face down. The face-down exile rules are weird - did they ever 'fix' the Pyxis trick?

What's the Pyxis trick?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
100cs is actually a really fun format with a lot more sensible banlist than EDH and I wish more people played it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I like how they got rid of tuck to mitigate the need to play tutors, instead of just getting rid of the stupid loving tutors in the first place. Survival of the Fittest is not banned in a singleton format lol.

Hey dude, I still need to trade off 5 of them so let me finish doing that first.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

vOv posted:

What's the Pyxis trick?

Pyxis exiles the top card of all libraries face-down. Since you can't look at the cards and they remain face-down until you actually use the Pyxis' second ability if it gets their Commander they can't get it back.

If anyone could look at the cards it would be sent immediately to the Command Zone. This is why Praetor's Grasp-ing a Commander doesn't work. You get to look at the card so if you take a Commander you're forced to reveal it and give it back. It's kinda dumb.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 24, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Did a green deck kill your lover in cold blood why you were injured and powerless to stop it?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Some of us enjoy using Survival to get all the Praetors in the graveyard followed by Living Death thank you very much.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Since I just got back into playing a bunch recently and I'm sad that it got banned in pauper...

Did they ever explain how Treasure Cruise actually got printed in 2014?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Wezlar posted:

Since I just got back into playing a bunch recently and I'm sad that it got banned in pauper...

Its not overpowered at all in Standard. They don't test formats that aren't Standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wurzag posted:

It has the most built in excuses for losing and lets you pretend you're some kind of deck building mastermind. It's like the ultimate end game for anyone who has ever said "netdeck" unironically.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not overpowered at all in Standard. They don't test formats that aren't Standard.

It's not like much testing is needed to say "this spell that lets you draw 3 cards for 1 mana might be broken in Modern/Legacy."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Konstantin posted:

It's not like much testing is needed to say "this spell that lets you draw 3 cards for 1 mana might be broken in Modern/Legacy."

It's no Visions of Beyond.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What do you ban when you ban tutors though? Stuff with [whatever]cycling? How about the Sliver Overlord?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just ban all cards that let you search your library. Problem solved.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Look they can only ban them if they let me play Maelstrom Nexus as a commander

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

theironjef posted:

What do you ban when you ban tutors though? Stuff with [whatever]cycling? How about the Sliver Overlord?

I mean not literally every tutor needs to be banned, but I don't see why they don't try and take out easy repeatable tutors like survival/ fauna shaman or really cheap powerful ones like demonic/vamp. I don't see Sliver Overlord as a problems because he only searches for slivers, so he keeps it kind of limited and he is your commander so you build around him. It's just super lame to play against some bant value/goodstuff deck that just tutors up silver bullets or efficient boring threats.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

I mean not literally every tutor needs to be banned, but I don't see why they don't try and take out easy repeatable tutors like survival/ fauna shaman or really cheap powerful ones like demonic/vamp. I don't see Sliver Overlord as a problems because he only searches for slivers, so he keeps it kind of limited and he is your commander so you build around him. It's just super lame to play against some bant value/goodstuff deck that just tutors up silver bullets or efficient boring threats.

As a sliver overlord edh player, I will now refer to tutor targets as sliver bullets.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Would Cabal Therapy be fair game as a card that could see a reprint, functional or otherwise, at some point in the future in Standard?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Wezlar posted:

It's great for standard and limited, which is where they want to ensure cards are balanced.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would Cabal Therapy be fair game as a card that could see a reprint, functional or otherwise, at some point in the future in Standard?

I think Cabal Therapy is probably too good for Modern, but might be fine for Standard or if they want Modern to be 100% Abzan Hellscape forever. Therapy seems good in a format where Lingering Souls is playable.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe as a functional reprint? I think the "Cabal" part would probably disqualify it due to ~flavor reasons~ or whatever unless Cabal is a generic enough term for them to just reprint it as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone asked Maro about that card specifically and he said it's too good.

• Locked thread