Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Veskit posted:

Pig Slut Lisa I know you read this thread so please save your friend

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708014&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post443086683

Also everyone else laugh at PSL's friends.

Great googly moogly, I'd say it's a BFC honeypot troll but it's in a different forum

I plan to cash out my 401k, put it all in Nintendo stock, and use the profits to buy a car *a million misers cry out in agony*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

(10:30:37 PM) golbez: so on a scale of 1-10
(10:30:40 PM) golbez: like 8
(10:30:56 PM) pigslutlisa: idk if the 1 or the 10 is the "don't do it" end of the scale
(10:31:06 PM) golbez: idk either
(10:31:07 PM) golbez: all i know is 8

Bad with money: all I know is 8

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

That sounds like a plan that could only be concocted by a middle-upper class 11 year old who wasn't cool enough to hang out with the really rich kids that got PS4s and Xbones

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Centripetal Horse posted:

That salesman 100% understood why someone would care about the total price rather than the payment. That's why he wouldn't cough up the total price.

Yeah, the salesman would get next to nothing on commission for that sort of sale, iirc.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Someone should tell him he can avoid the massive 401k penalty if he takes it out as a loan. What can go wrong!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, the salesman would get next to nothing on commission for that sort of sale, iirc.

They always claim they don't get commissions on the financing(obviously not true), how I've played it before was acting like a naive sucker about financing but still insisting on separating the negotiation on price from the negotiation on financing. Then I can get a price that sounds good while they rub their hands together ready to screw me on financing, and then I can tell them I'll pay cash.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

District Selectman posted:

Great googly moogly, I'd say it's a BFC honeypot troll but it's in a different forum

I plan to cash out my 401k, put it all in Nintendo stock, and use the profits to buy a car *a million misers cry out in agony*

It's worse than that. He's quitting his job to cash out his 401k to invest in Nintendo stock to buy a car. Just :psypop:.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm gonna quit my job and short their stock just to spite him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FateFree posted:

Someone should tell him he can avoid the massive 401k penalty if he takes it out as a loan. What can go wrong!

But usually they only let you take out 50% as a loan. Think of the lost gains!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love all of these columns:

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/20/debt-ridden-young-couple-in-vancouver-wants-it-all-bigger-house-kids-early-retirement/

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Investments: Car

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Some of those numbers seem ridiculous. 1000 a month for food?

350k for a 650 foot condo, jesus.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If you want to live downtown in a big city, that's not that unusual. The alternative is commuting for 20-30 hours a week.

Well, in the situation they're in, the REAL alternative would have been to just rent.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 23, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TLG James posted:

In NYC that would cost >2x that amount.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Nail Rat posted:

If you want to live downtown in a big city, that's not that unusual. The alternative is commuting for 20-30 hours a week.

They're spending 400 bucks on gas a month.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

TLG James posted:

They're spending 400 bucks on gas a month.

Well, gotta make that car "investment" worth it I suppose.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah I'm not sure I understand how they're spending $1000 on food then another $950 on restaurants? How much would you have to eat to get to that level? I mean yes, I guess I could see $950 in restaurants if all they did was eat at one super expensive place per month, but what about the $1000 in groceries? My husband literally eats 2500 calories a day almost entirely in meat and fresh veggies, and we never break $500 including household supplies. I know Vancouver is more expensive, but this was in Seattle as well!

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 23, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Rurutia posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I understand how they're spending $1000 on food then another $950 on restaurants? How much would you have to eat to get to that level? I mean yes, I guess I could see $950 in restaurants if all they did was eat at one super expensive place per month, but what about the $1000 in groceries? My husband literally eats 2500 calories a day almost entirely in meat and fresh veggies, and we never break $500 including household supplies. I know Vancouver is more expensive, but this was in Seattle as well!

I hear stories of people stocking their kitchen and then just letting everything go bad because they're too lazy to cook.

I guess my wife does this sometimes. She gets all motivated to eat healthy, buys some food, but then doesn't use it before it goes bad. Not $1000 worth of food though thank god.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dude spends ~800/mo eating out while making 1300/month.

It's worth diving into the op's comments in this one.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 23, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Saros posted:

quote:

I have to eat out constantly because, well we've just run into too many bad situations with dishes etc.

lol what the gently caress buddy, just wash your dishes

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Maybe the girlfriend's parents are Greek and won't stop breaking plates over his head.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Guy dropped out of school in the 8th grade, has a kid and is a smoker.
Being unable to wash dishes is probably not even in the top 10 of "reasons why his life sucks".

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

triplexpac posted:

lol what the gently caress buddy, just wash your dishes

I totally had interpreted that as him giving them food poisoning. I wonder if the dishes situation is related to the parents kicking him out.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Saros posted:

Wow. Dude is going to move 400mi away from his kid/gf cuz he found a room for $400/mo? Hello, Craigslist. I bet he could find one in his same city for that.

Saros posted:

I totally had interpreted that as him giving them food poisoning. I wonder if the dishes situation is related to the parents kicking him out.

Eg being a filthy dude? I bet yes.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Guy dropped out of school in the 8th grade, has a kid and is a smoker.
Being unable to wash dishes is probably not even in the top 10 of "reasons why his life sucks".

You forgot the part where his kid is going to be born within in a week and he's also simultaneously moving several hours away for a place that costs twice as much at the same time with no job lined up and zero savings because.... ?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

You forgot the part where his kid is going to be born within in a week and he's also simultaneously moving several hours away for a place that costs twice as much at the same time with no job lined up and zero savings because.... ?

Because duh, issues with dishes. And self-esteem.

I've read this thread since the beginning, and this is one of the first posts that has made me actively want to yell and curse at my monitor. There are a lot of people who are bad with money, but that level of intentional loving idiocy, with a baby on the way, is drat near unforgivable.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If I was 24, broke, jobless, and lived with my son's/daughter's-mom's-parents, I might take up smoking too. Though because I'm BFC, I'd import melamine-laced ecigs.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

TLG James posted:

I don't think any of my appliances will fit in a condo that's 650'x1'. I might be able to shimmy through it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Some of the comments try to hold their situation up as an example of how expensive things are today. While ignoring that they're wasting a huge amount of money and are paying off an expensive wedding. At 31 how can they be in such a lovely financial situation with both being engineers.

I had more net worth than they when I started my own business at that age and I poured all of my savings into the business.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
So like, more than negative? Good job

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

So like, more than negative? Good job

They make zero net worth look good.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Devian666 posted:

Some of the comments try to hold their situation up as an example of how expensive things are today. While ignoring that they're wasting a huge amount of money and are paying off an expensive wedding. At 31 how can they be in such a lovely financial situation with both being engineers.

I had more net worth than they when I started my own business at that age and I poured all of my savings into the business.

Two engineers combined only earning 9500 CAD a month? That sounds pretty low.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Shipon posted:

Two engineers combined only earning 9500 CAD a month? That sounds pretty low.

It's probably post-tax, no idea what tax rates are like in Canada but if so it seems pretty reasonable.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
They say the wife makes $98,140 during the pension estimate in the retirement section.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's probably post-tax, no idea what tax rates are like in Canada but if so it seems pretty reasonable.

Since there's not a line item for "tax" in "monthly expenses" it's absolutely post-tax. If they're making 200k combined, that would be roughly spot-on in the USA after taxes, healthcare premiums (though I guess they probably don't have those in Canada) etc.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
In BC, basic income taxes on $98,140 are $23,994 (average 24.4%, 38.3% marginal) giving her $6,178/mo take-home assuming no other deductions. He's not making very much though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Or you can say no to being in the wedding party. Do you really expect them to pay for airfare and hotel(I assume thats what the 1500 is mostly since a tux rental definitely doesn't cost anywhere near that)

Well, the money was spread out over a few months so it's only when you sit down to think about it that you realize how big a hole it is. $200 for the tux, $300 for airfare to fly my sister down to watch the kids, $150 for bachelor's party, $150 for wedding gift, and $700 for the hotel/resort. And I just realized I never got a groomsmen gift. WTF?

I could have used a monogrammed flask to drink to forget how much money I just spent.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Good with money tip: rent houses from AirBnB or VRBO for bachelor parties and wedding weekends. My wife and I did this for a kickass joint bachelor/bachelorette party where we invited 25 friends and shared two big beach houses for way cheaper than hotelling all those bodies would have been. We're doing the same for an upcoming wedding in Fort Lauderdale. Plus you have a kitchen so you don't need to eat every meal at a restaurant :eng101:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah weddings and bachelor parties sneak up on you. I just realized my total is already $1k this year. I'm not even in a wedding party! At least I'm not poor or too popular, I don't know how poor popular people do it.

One day future people will be really confused about these $20k parties that we threw so we could promise not to gently caress other people for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I have 4 (maybe 5) weddings to attend in the next year and I'm a +1 at all if them. :negative:

I'm hoping that at least this will sour my gf on the whole idea of a huge wedding.

• Locked thread