Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First seasons are frequently shorter than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I :lol:'d at the extended poppy dumpster dive, only for him to take one step and be in front of the goddamn recycling bin.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I wanted him to die two or three weeks ago now i hope to god he's not dead!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Fantastic loving episode. I like the little flashbacks they use at the beginning of episodes a lot, gently caress Hamlin.

And they're totally gonna use McGill's account activity as an entry to muscling out Jimmy of the class action case in the next episode.

edit: ugh and Howard taking the spotlight for the Kettleman case. Wanna punch him in the throat and turn off that sing-songy shitfaucet right at the source.

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 24, 2015

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah. I hope the worst of it is simply Hamlin stealing the case.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Aphrodite posted:

First seasons are frequently shorter than normal.

Yeah, but it seems unusual on a show that has a two season commitment right out of the gate..

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
They announced the second season the same month they started filming season one, so it's likely that they plotted out season one before they had confirmation for season two.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Ugh. My PVR missed the last ten seconds of the show since it went over the hour mark. Can someone fill me in on what happened at the end? Last line I heard was when the defense lawyers ask Jimmy what number he had in mind for a settlement.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MoosetheMooche posted:

Ugh. My PVR missed the last ten seconds of the show since it went over the hour mark. Can someone fill me in on what happened at the end? Last line I heard was when the defense lawyers ask Jimmy what number he had in mind for a settlement.
Oh you missed more than the last ten seconds.

You can catch the encore. I'd get out of the thread now.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh you missed more than the last ten seconds.

You can catch the encore. I'd get out of the thread now.

Fair enough I guess I'll do that. Goddamn PVR.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It's a little weird that Chuck wouldn't realize that his code would give him activity for the company.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

More shows should use Coffee Cold. I say this knowing that every single NPR show uses Coffee Cold.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

It's a little weird that Chuck wouldn't realize that his code would give him activity for the company.
Chuck loves to work and probably expects Hamlin to be reasonable. Two things that are most definitely going to screw him.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He's not yet firing on all cylinders. After a long battle with serious mental illness, it's going to take a while to blow off the cobwebs even if he doesn't relapse. Unfortunately this is probably going to bite him.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Go Land Crabs!!!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

In the next episode preview, he was outside talking to Jimmy and seemed perfectly fine.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PassTheRemote posted:

As far as Hamlin, does anyone think that Jimmy used to work for HHM for a time and Hamlin after Chuck got ill Jimmy got the boot? Chucks conversation with Jimmy in episode 1 seems to imply he knows a lot of the people at HHM, especially the guys at the bottom of the totem pole.

I am claiming a half right prediction. Does not look like he got the boot after Chuck got sick, but instead was dicked over by Hamlin for a job as a lawyer. I now understand why he resents Howard. Also, Howard, taking a slice of cake after telling Jimmy no job for you? Dick move.

This episode flew right by. I am sad there are so few episodes left, but this season has been just some of the best TV I have seen in a while.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I binged Breaking Bad after it ended and loved it. Then I tried to watch Mad Men. I gave it two seasons before deciding it wasn't my kind of show at all. I've been in love with Better Call Saul since the negotiation in the desert.

What do I watch in two weeks?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Howard is the worst. Easily the most punchable character on TV.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Another great episode this week.

kefkafloyd posted:

Howard is the worst. Easily the most punchable character on TV.

What's funny is that I'm not sure he's actually done any completely wrong or unreasonable. He's just such an rear end in a top hat that tries to present himself as a nice guy and it totally doesn't work.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I binged Breaking Bad after it ended and loved it. Then I tried to watch Mad Men. I gave it two seasons before deciding it wasn't my kind of show at all. I've been in love with Better Call Saul since the negotiation in the desert.

Well since you apparently like rich characterization but with some comedy edge to it, and also based on your avatar there you're open to cartoons made for young children, I'm gonna say Steven Universe. (no joke loving incredible show)

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm in the same boat, I was thinking about starting Justified, I hear good things but I think most TV shows are terrible. I never end up getting into things people recommend and then I just feel like a douche telling people the show they like sucks.

To be fair to me though most TV shows are terrible.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Another great episode this week.

What's funny is that I'm not sure he's actually done any completely wrong or unreasonable. He's just such an rear end in a top hat that tries to present himself as a nice guy and it totally doesn't work.
He took the loving cake.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hamlin's a gladhand prick, he's everything terrible about upper management

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Taking the cake was a dick move, but being the one to tell Jimmy that the firm wasn't going to accept a community college/online degree for a 3 time bar taker who had criminal priors shouldn't be a huge surprise. That's more on Chuck not being capable of telling Jimmy bad news.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/23/better-call-saul-recap-season-1-episode-8-rico/

New York Times (Blogger) posted:

On the other side of the ledger, the writers appear to be flummoxed about what to do with Kim Wexler, the HH&M associate who is Jimmy’s frequent co-conspirator. As a character, she is strangely bland and indistinct. All we know is that she is deeply sane, conflicted about her job and fond of Jimmy. In other words, she is one-dimensional by the standards set by the oddballs and headcases in this show.

The only other scoop of vanilla in the cast is Stacey, Mike’s daughter in law. She’s a stressed out saint of a lady, and that’s it. For quirky, singular females, “Better Call Saul” has thus far provided us only with Betsy Kettleman, whose outer gloss of suburban housewife masked the heart of a mobster. But she’s been the exception.

Do the writers of “Better Call Saul” have a hard time writing nuanced and multilayered women? Put another way, isn’t it time for Kim to get interesting?

So a New York Times (Blogger) is essentially calling Kim and Stacey badly written characters. Thoughts?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He took the loving cake.

Yeah, but that's what I mean. He's just an rear end in a top hat. He's not like, say, your typical evil big corporate lawyer like you'd see in most shows or movies. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 24, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I have wanted to punch Hamlin in the face since his speech in the first episode about "Sometimes you focus so much on winning you forget to listen to what your heart tells you" or whatever while he was dicking over Chuck.

Nothing that happened since then has changed my opinion.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Asema posted:

Taking the cake was a dick move, but being the one to tell Jimmy that the firm wasn't going to accept a community college/online degree for a 3 time bar taker who had criminal priors shouldn't be a huge surprise. That's more on Chuck not being capable of telling Jimmy bad news.

It's interesting to me that even after that, Jimmy didn't give up on working within the system and went and did the shittiest, hardest lawyer work you can do for (probably?) years before even considering returning to his old habits, and even then it's still just to try to be more effective at what he thinks is being a good, helpful lawyer. He's got a pretty complex and compelling sense of justice and ethics.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Such a good episode. Le travail rend sain, Chuck.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Raxivace posted:

Yes, that's it exactly. He's completely dishonest and phony. None of his actions have sincerity, even though they can all be rationalized and viewed as reasonable (by, say, someone like Chuck in the earlier episodes).

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Better Off Ted, Deadwood, Party Down.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

It's interesting to me that even after that, Jimmy didn't give up on working within the system and went and did the shittiest, hardest lawyer work you can do for (probably?) years before even considering returning to his old habits, and even then it's still just to try to be more effective at what he thinks is being a good, helpful lawyer. He's got a pretty complex and compelling sense of justice and ethics.
Which makes him ending up as Saul utterly fascinating.

What's the worst thing Saul ever suggests in Breaking Bad? Not counting things like "Why don't you just send him to Belize" and "Old yeller" because honestly those ideas are more of a "Walt you stupid rear end in a top hat you tricked me into helping you poison a child are we really going to pretend that there isn't some part of you okay with just murdering the people you love?"

Off the top of my head I think it would be "hey let's get all those illegal immigrants working at the car wash deported so you guys can have it! :haw:"

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I laughed so loving hard at Jimmy crawling out of the dumpster only to find the recycling bin.

I wonder if we'll find out what gave Chuck his "sickness". I bet it's related to Hamlin being a dick.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's the worst thing Saul ever suggests in Breaking Bad? Not counting things like "Why don't you just send him to Belize" and "Old yeller" because honestly those ideas are more of a "Walt you stupid rear end in a top hat you tricked me into helping you poison a child are we really going to pretend that there isn't some part of you okay with just murdering the people you love?"

Off the top of my head I think it would be "hey let's get all those illegal immigrants working at the car wash deported so you guys can have it! :haw:"

I think that might be the worst one that is genuinely his idea and not something suggested at gunpoint/otherwise under duress/in order to shine some light on what a fucker Walt is.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
23 minutes in, this is just speculation, but I can't help but wonder how Hamlin is going to steal this class action lawsuit from Jimmy.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'd say it was when he first meets Walt and suggests shanking Badger.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think he was intentionally being blunt about chow line shanking being option B to make them more amicable to the jimmy in-n-out plan, which coincidentally involved him getting $50,000.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/23/better-call-saul-recap-season-1-episode-8-rico/

So a New York Times (Blogger) is essentially calling Kim and Stacey badly written characters. Thoughts?

I do think Kim gets stuck being Jimmy's straight man a little too much. I'd hate to see her turn into Skyler White. After all, we already have Chuck to be Jimmy's conscience.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Konstantin posted:

I'd say it was when he first meets Walt and suggests shanking Badger.

He was under duress there. His life was threatened if he did not get Badger off the hook completely, so he suggested that the smart thing to do was to kill Badger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Catch up on the first seasons of Rectify before S3 airs. S1 is on Netflix, 2 should be there soon. It's the best show on television.

• Locked thread