Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Bodhidharma posted:

I think Ted Cruz wants the job bad enough that he'd be willing to do anything for it. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he ran as an Independent just to split the vote for the Republican nominee.

Cruz has a monumental ego but I don't think he has the combination of gall and optimism to Huey Long it.

The parties are more resilient than Long gave them credit for, anyway. I doubt that Cruz could successfully shatter a fifty-year-old coalition just by spoiling one election cycle, and I doubt that any resultant realignment would make Ted Cruz more viable as a candidate even if he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

blunt for century posted:

What's the point of announcing when you're going to announce your candidacy? Isn't that effectively the same as just announcing your candidacy?

Theoretically, I guess you could just be announcing your 'decision', which could be "I'm not going to seek the nomination." It's almost certainly not going to be, but it could be.

If you're an R with any measurable amount of presidential buzz then what the gently caress have you got to lose?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The whole exploratory committee is because you need to do something in order to legally raise funds, but doing so doesn't have the same disclosure requirements that officially declaring does, so you can see how much support you can get behind the scenes before you lay your cards on the table.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The whole exploratory committee is because you need to do something in order to legally raise funds, but doing so doesn't have the same disclosure requirements that officially declaring does, so you can see how much support you can get behind the scenes before you lay your cards on the table.

Ah, that makes sense.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Joementum posted:

Huckabee would be [a viable candidate] as well if he started showing evidence that this is anything more than a pure grift this time.

Huckabee should be MC'ing the Blue Collar Comedy Tour is what he should be doing. He could play his bass. Shoot, he could join that with his presidential run and call the tour bus his gravy traincampaign bus, and write off the whole thing to campaign finances. And in off years he could just let the campaign/tour bus do the Christian college circuit, go chill with the missus or get a lap band or something while some good ol' boy band take the wheel for a bit.

The Theocrats!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best thing about the Obama-Romney debates is less that he landed those absolutely brutal burns, but that they were straight-up, "no, gently caress you" defenses of poo poo Romney had been flailing at like a scorned lover for six months.

All that poo poo about shrinking the military? "Hey fucko, this isn't the dreadnought era anymore and nobody fights with swords - holy gently caress we have boats planes land on and other boats that go underwater while you're shittering around about bayonets."

Benghazi? "Please proceed, Governor." (Also the straight-up scolding he gave Romney in defense of the State Dept.)

It was some political aikido poo poo or something, few things political put a smile on my face as it did seeing that poo poo go down and knowing the election was loving over.

After the way everyone spun Biden-Palin, I wasn't sure the dismantling of Ryan would seal the deal since they'd just act like Biden ran up the score like a big ol' meanie head with his whole being in the senate when Ryan was still learning how to read. It's nice to see that kind of blatant assbeating when the guy with the bad ideas is getting his rear end beat, but it wasn't really the final nail like that third debate was.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Also untrue. There were at least three in 2008.

There are very few hard rules in nomination battles but the one is that you need to have support from actors in your party and Cruz does not. It is hard to overstate how much he has pissed off fellow Republican politicians and he can't win without them, in fact they will work hard to stop him.

Who is your third? Romney obviously, Perry eh kinda, but who is your third? Huntsman had no backing, Christie never entered the race, Santorum and Newt were not establishment backed, they had billionaires footing the bill. Are you counting Ryan?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I honestly think Kasich would be the most dangerous nominee the GOP could put up in 2016 and don't get why there hasn't been more establishment movement to draft him.

He brings a lot of the same things to the table that Jeb does but without the same baggage.

- Control of a large, wealthy swing state (and in his case it is current.

- A vague reputation as a ~Reasonable Guy Moderate~ that somehow coexists with conservative credentials that should be adequate for anybody who is not a foaming-at-the-mouth blood-for-the-blood-god apocalypse cult tea party true believer.

- Ability to expand beyond the traditional conservative demographic base.

- Serious executive experience in both public and private sectors, including some of that black-box finance/private equity shenaniganry the Very Serious People fawn over.

- While not obama/clinton/reagan-level personable, pretty decent charisma by the standards of this republican field, probably about on par with Hillary. Has a similar kind of hard-nosed reputation to her.

Plus:

- Legislative background.

- A blue-collar upbringing, rendering him resistant to the Romney syndrome.

- A show on Fox!

Say what you want, but I don't see Walker/Snyder winning in Milwaukee/Detroit the way kasich has won in Cleveland and Cincinnati. Show me another Republican who can win Cuyahoga County and somehow garner over a fifth of the statewide black vote while simultaneously repressing the hell out of the black vote.

Is there some incredibly toxic bad blood between him and major establishment players that I don't know about?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Who is your third? Romney obviously, Perry eh kinda, but who is your third? Huntsman had no backing, Christie never entered the race, Santorum and Newt were not establishment backed, they had billionaires footing the bill. Are you counting Ryan?

That was 2012, wasn't it? In 2008 I assume the three were McCain, Romney, and Thompson.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Franco Potente posted:

That was 2012, wasn't it? In 2008 I assume the three were McCain, Romney, and Thompson.

I completely forgot about Thompson

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

I completely forgot about Thompson

To be fair, it sounded like everyone did. His campaign was the textbook definition of :effort:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

What's the point of announcing when you're going to announce your candidacy? Isn't that effectively the same as just announcing your candidacy?

When you announce officially a whole lot of rules suddenly kick in. Plus you get a lot more coverage for "official campaign announcement" than for most other random-rear end speeches.

PupsOfWar posted:

I wonder if Cruz jumping in will prompt any of the other major players to advance their timetables so as to prevent him from having the airwaves all to himself for (possibly) a matter of weeks or months.

I don't know that that'll be a thing. Like is the media suddenly going to ignore Jeb Bush or Rand Paul or whoever because they haven't formally announced yet and Cruz has? I mean maybe Cruz gets slightly more press coverage than otherwise after today, but I can't imagine they'll ignore the other (soon-to-be) candidates.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Well the thing is, barring an economic collapse, a terrorist attack, or Hillary Clinton completely imploding, I don't think there's any GOP candidate that could win the general election.

Jeb Bush: Does nothing to excite the GOP base, but nothing will be better for Dem turnout (particularly the youth vote) than the very idea of Dubya's brother in the White House.
Scott Walker: Disastrous policies in Wisconsin will be the focus of the national spotlight, and Walker doesn't have nearly enough charisma to deal with that.
Marco Rubio: Looks like he's doing all he can to shed his RINO status, from begging the people at CPAC "take me back! I didn't mean what I said about immigration!", to signing on to the Iran letter. Unless poo poo goes REALLY BAD with Iran in the next year and a half, that letter is just gonna keep looking worse and worse.
Ted Cruz: Is insane and hated by everyone.
Rand Paul: Is just Ron Paul's genetically unaltered clone.
Chris Christie: Is basically a fat Richard Nixon.
Mike Huckabee: Literally the antagonist of Footlose
Ben Carson: Not an actual candidate
Bobby Jindal: Hahahahhahaha

And I think the same thing applies here. Like I figure someone at the GOP Headquarters has to be thinking "Holy poo poo, are any of these jokers not fatally flawed in some way?" and at that point the question of the nomination becomes "Which of these people requires Hillary Clinton to gently caress up the least?"

Honest question because I was in middle school at the time - were folks talking like this in 2000? Like "oh well obviously Al Gore's gonna be our guy and that Bush man is laughable with his accent and lovely policies in Texas and I can't imagine Gore losing"?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Politics was mostly about blowjobs back then.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

But sadly not in the highly productive Mr. Show version of a society run on blowjobs.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
My pappy used to say, when it comes to politics, I'm always right, and you're always right. And the person more right wins the day, we'll because they were a better lier..

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

There's the two Roosevelts, the Adams' presidencies, uh

Three family members from the same party, alternating with the other party sequentially? It's incredible in the definition of the world, I'm incredulous that the nominee for the Republican party could be the third Republican Bush in a row from the same family. There's no precedent.

The last time the republican party won a presidential election without a Bush or NIxon on the ticket was in 1928. That's pretty ridiculous on its own.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Jackson Taus posted:

Honest question because I was in middle school at the time - were folks talking like this in 2000? Like "oh well obviously Al Gore's gonna be our guy and that Bush man is laughable with his accent and lovely policies in Texas and I can't imagine Gore losing"?

Things generally seemed pretty not-hosed-up back then. Most people didn't care or see the election as that significant. Bush didn't have the image he had today and his campaign heavily leaned on the idea of 'compassionate conservatism'.

Honestly it felt like nobody really started paying attention until the Florida recount and then poo poo kicked off real quick.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

The X-man cometh posted:

The last time the republican party won a presidential election without a Bush or NIxon on the ticket was in 1928. That's pretty ridiculous on its own.

That is amazing

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Good Citizen posted:

Things generally seemed pretty not-hosed-up back then. Most people didn't care or see the election as that significant. Bush didn't have the image he had today and his campaign heavily leaned on the idea of 'compassionate conservatism'.

Honestly it felt like nobody really started paying attention until the Florida recount and then poo poo kicked off real quick.

He made promises of no nation building as well, think people were feeling it after Somalia and Yugoslavia.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/apr/7/bush-a-convert-to-nation-building/?page=all

Remember, Al Gore invented the Internet thing also?

I am pretty sure I remember D&d being huge supporters of McCain back then also.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 24, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Enigma89 posted:

He made promises of no nation building as well, think people were feeling it after Somalia and Yugoslavia.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/apr/7/bush-a-convert-to-nation-building/?page=all

Remember, Al Gore invented the Internet thing also?

I am pretty sure I remember D&d being huge supporters of McCain back then also.

McCain is odd because he runs almost entirely on cold calculating spite. He got burned real bad by Rove and the gang and made it his goal in life to cut at Bush however he could. He seemed reasonable for a while because his zeal for making GBS threads on Bush brought him in brief alignment with reality.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Good Citizen posted:

And there was Ralph Nader's (relative) popularity and appeal to a demographic that seems to have either become more marginalized or gained a new perspective in the past 15 years.

Ah, those were the days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 24, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I know the image got pulled in here from 538, but here's the word on Cruz

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lets-be-serious-about-ted-cruz-from-the-start-hes-too-extreme-and-too-disliked-to-win/

I'm in the boat that thinks he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the nomination. The real question is how will mess with the eventual nominee. Will he pull them to the right (to their detriment in the general)? Will he do some damage to their brand (again, to their detriment in the general)?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Karnegal posted:

I know the image got pulled in here from 538, but here's the word on Cruz

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lets-be-serious-about-ted-cruz-from-the-start-hes-too-extreme-and-too-disliked-to-win/

I'm in the boat that thinks he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the nomination. The real question is how will mess with the eventual nominee. Will he pull them to the right (to their detriment in the general)? Will he do some damage to their brand (again, to their detriment in the general)?
The smartest thing that the Republican Primary Contenders can do is treat Ted Cruz the way they treat Rand Paul: a crazy guy with a small but vocal base of zealots. The literal worst thing they could do is engage him as though he actually stands a chance of getting nominated, because that's the only way he could get the opportunity to drag them to the ground. And if Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, or Marco Rubio (the only three candidates who are remotely electable) give Ted Cruz an opening by legitimatizing him, he will take it and do a hell of a lot of damage.

That's my totally subjective Hot Take on this.

Honestly, it isn't hard at all to campaign against Ted Cruz. Just reshoot "Daisy" and you're done.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 24, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

Jeb Bush is doing this again except he's calling it "inclusive conservatism."

I'd :toxx: myself that it'll be a Bush/Walker ticket, which will probably win. It has just the right combination of pleasing both the base and reaching out to moderates. The trick is that the Bushes know how to use Clinton-style triangulation to win elections, and they are very, very good at it. The downside is that the GOP is running a dynastic ticket. (Which is bad for America.) But as political attack, that's neutralized by Hillary Clinton running on the other side.

I'm not sure Bush will ignite a surge of Democratic voters against him. Yes, probably so with core Democrats, but the Dems need a lot more than that to win. They also need socially liberal but economically moderate-to-conservative middle-class voters, and they won't rush out to vote against a Republican unless they play hard on right-wing social war issues. Bush won't do that.

The other thing is that Bush *might* pivot to endorsing gay rights. Count me pessimistic - knowing the GOP - but here's chatter why not to be:

quote:

When Bush officially launches his presidential bid later this year, he will likely do so with a campaign manager who has urged the Republican Party to adopt a pro-gay agenda; a chief strategist who signed a Supreme Court amicus brief arguing for marriage equality in California; a longtime adviser who once encouraged her minister to stick to his guns in preaching equality for same-sex couples; and a communications director who is openly gay.

To an extent that would have been unthinkable in past elections, one of the leading candidates for the Republican presidential nomination has stocked his inner circle with advisers who are vocal proponents of gay rights. And while the Bush camp says his platform will not be shaped by his lieutenants’ personal beliefs, many in the monied, moderate, corporate wing of the GOP — including pragmatic donors, secular politicos, and other members of the establishment — are cheering the early hires as a sign that Bush will position himself as the gay-friendly Republican in the 2016 field.

[...]

If, as many observers expect, the Supreme Court rules this June to extend marriage rights to all same-sex couples nationwide, some of Bush’s pro-gay donors are hoping he will use the moment to fully pivot toward an embrace of marriage equality — turning himself into the first serious pro-gay GOP presidential candidate.

“His thinking appears to have evolved,” said David Aufhauser, a former senior Treasury official who co-hosted a fundraiser for Bush earlier this month in Virginia. Aufhauser, well known in GOP circles for his gay rights advocacy, stressed that he doesn’t speak for Bush, but contended that the candidate would benefit from opening up about how he now views the marriage issue. He suggested Bush deliver a high-profile “statement of principles” following the Court’s decision this summer, pledging to “remove all barriers of state discrimination,” discussing how he “abhors hate based on orientation,” and also championing strong protections for churches.

If handled right, Aufhauser argued, Bush could draw a sharp contrast between himself and other Republicans — and in a twist that would defy the chatter about the generational divide in the GOP field, he could even succeed in siphoning off younger voters from opponents like Rand Paul or Marco Rubio. “When the governor speaks on this issue, I’m confident people like my kids — a demographic the party needs — will find him to be thoughtful and embracing,” he said.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/jeb2016lgbtfriendly#.eu5wBZoM30
Basically this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Souljah_moment

And he speaks Spanish. Florida is his home state, where he served two terms as governor and won handily. If he wins, Columba Bush will become the first Hispanic first lady. He did well with the Hispanic vote, although it declined to about even during his re-election campaign.

Ted Cruz is a joke who will crash and burn. He needs support from powerful people to win, and the powerful people in the GOP hate his guts. He's also blowing his load way too early.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 24, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Honestly, it isn't hard at all to campaign against Ted Cruz. Just reshoot "Daisy" and you're done.

These days, 'Daisy' would've been a pro-Goldwater ad. Republicans can't really run on "my opponent is just TOO right-wing and conservative!" during their circus of a primary, at least not directly, that'd actually be the legitimizing thing. At best I can see them sidling up to the idea by talking about how a vote for Cruz is a vote for Hillary since he can't win a general election *Cough BecauseHe'sTooWingnut Cough*.

Basically I expect Cruz'll handle any such accusations like so:

It's like when you see the Democrats put out stuff that says "Oh no, not Cruz! We're terrified of the Republicans nominating such a powerful, ideologically pure Conservative! Anything but that!"

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Omi-Polari posted:

Jeb Bush is doing this again except he's calling it "inclusive conservatism."

I'd :toxx: myself that it'll be a Bush/Walker ticket, which will probably win. It has just the right combination of pleasing both the base and reaching out to moderates. The trick is that the Bushes know how to use Clinton-style triangulation to win elections, and they are very, very good at it. The downside is that the GOP is running a dynastic ticket. (Which is bad for America.) But as political attack, that's neutralized by Hillary Clinton running on the other side.

WORDS

I don't buy that line of reasoning at all. I hear it thrown around, but ask people (who aren't already decided on which party they're voting for) about their feelings of the Clinton years vs. the Bush years, and I will loving buy and eat a hat if anything approaching a majority has similar feelings across both time periods. The attack isn't "you have a relative who was president", it's that mother fucker was George Bush.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

I can really feel for that. The 90s bubble had popped but no one thought it was that big a deal unless they'd been wiped day-trading or something...they just sobered up, figured real estate is where the long term investment is. I voted unexcitedly for Gore, but like most people figured either candidate would be a bland single termer. Then when the recount came it was when I first really saw people I'd previously known as reasonable slide into conspiracy theory stuff. That might have burned itself out without 9/11 but after that half the country was looking to bomb everywhere, and half of what was left started saying "if there's a next election...." and then it was a solid slide to Iraq, Truthers, and Birthers. And this is all leaving out the actual media rhetoric.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

paid for by Citizens for Alf Landon's Ghost

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hillary is also going to have the option of using the narrative: "Remember the 90s? Life improved immeasurably over 8 years of my Democratic husband's administration, and then we elected a Bush who ruined it all. We've had 8 years of very, very good economic progress since then, should we elect another Bush to undo all of that once more?"

I mean, so many words, but if her campaign can't find a way to exploit that narrative then they deserve to lose.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How are u posted:

I mean, so many words, but if her campaign can't find a way to exploit that narrative then they deserve to lose.
Subliminally through 90's themed campaign kitsch. Hill '16 slap-bracelets. Neon pink and neon green "3rd jersey" campaign colors. Campaign staffers in silk patterned shirts and Ikeda overalls with one strap undone. It can be done without having to dip into referencing Bill and Bush by name.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You joke but Hill '16 slap bracelets would own poo poo in a "remember the 90s?" way that many voters would actually probably be receptive to.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hot Jesus alf landon lived a long time

shoulda run against reagan in the primary of '80

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I am ready for Hillary Clinton Bringing Back the 90's.

Honestly though, it's a testament to the endurance of America's political dynasties that the Clintons and the Bushes just held in there for the eight years of Obama's presidency and are just ready to get right back to it as soon as he's out the door. Obama will be understandably tired once his term is up, but I wonder if he's done with Presidential politics entirely? Does he have some kind of young gun heir to be groomed, a political machine to be passed on? He's fairly young so far as Presidents go, he's got a few more decades to influence politics and work on his legacy.

My favorite idea is I remember Bill floating the possibility that the two-term prohibition on Presidencies just meant two consecutive terms.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My god, scary thought: Whereas Democrats have traditionally gone for the underdog and Republicans for the establishment figure, the two parties may have switched and now Cruz is the Republican underdog running a conservative insurgency of a campaign against Jeb's Clinton '08 style of announcing in the summer.

A Cruz '16 nomination is a real possibility, just as Hillary seems now an inevitability.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

FAUXTON posted:

All that poo poo about shrinking the military? "Hey fucko, this isn't the dreadnought era anymore and nobody fights with swords - holy gently caress we have boats planes land on and other boats that go underwater while you're shittering around about bayonets."]

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how little he managed to remain ignorant about that revolution in military affairs that happened seventy years ago. For all their wankery about WWII, Republicans sure are good at missing the lessons of that war.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If George Romney, born to American parents in Mexico, wasn't eligible, wouldn't that exclude Cruz too?
George Romney probably was eligible, as even people back then thought. He ducked out of trying to win the GOP primary because he wasn't a very good candidate, before it even became an issue anyway.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

How are u posted:

Hillary is also going to have the option of using the narrative: "Remember the 90s? Life improved immeasurably over 8 years of my Democratic husband's administration, and then we elected a Bush who ruined it all. We've had 8 years of very, very good economic progress since then, should we elect another Bush to undo all of that once more?"

I think she might be forced into defending the Obama years more than the Clinton years. It's not quite so easy considering the major accomplishment was Obamacare which Democrats so far still seem afraid to run on. Foreign policy was her major role with Obama and, well, the Middle East is in a state of crisis and there is a lot of controversy with Russia. It's not Obama's fault or her fault but it doesn't seem like it will be too hard for a Republican to try and sell a message that Democrats are weak there. A Bush v. Clinton election makes me very nervous. I don't think he would have a shot if not for the Clinton name taking the edge off the dynasty stuff.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
The Clintons aren't a dynasty in the strictest sense because there is no hereditary line. The Clintons are a power couple.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cognac McCarthy posted:

George Romney probably was eligible, as even people back then thought. He ducked out of trying to win the GOP primary because he wasn't a very good candidate, before it even became an issue anyway.

He stopped running because he came back from a trip to Vietnam and said he'd been "brainwashed" into supporting the war there earlier, which derailed his campaign.

It also led to our of the all-time greatest political burns when Eugene McCarthy said, "in Romney's case, a light rinse would have been sufficient."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I think she might be forced into defending the Obama years more than the Clinton years. It's not quite so easy considering the major accomplishment was Obamacare which Democrats so far still seem afraid to run on. Foreign policy was her major role with Obama and, well, the Middle East is in a state of crisis and there is a lot of controversy with Russia. It's not Obama's fault or her fault but it doesn't seem like it will be too hard for a Republican to try and sell a message that Democrats are weak there. A Bush v. Clinton election makes me very nervous. I don't think he would have a shot if not for the Clinton name taking the edge off the dynasty stuff.

Barring major catastrophe, the 8 years of the Obama administration will be remembered more fondly than the W Bush administration by pretty much any measure. The economy has been improving steadily and foreign affairs have been tense but mostly tame. If Bush comes out with "do you really want 8 more years of this?", the retort is simply "as opposed to the disaster that was the 8 years before that?". The housing bubble and financial crash afterwards are still fresh on peoples' minds, and while Clinton is terrible on the issue, no Republican candidate is going to come out for more regulation and controls. The land wars in Asia are still fresh on peoples' minds, and while Clinton is terrible on the issue, no Republican candidate is going to come out for a more peaceful agenda.

It may just be optimism on my part, but if it ends up being Bush v Clinton, Hillary should be able to hammer in over and over that there's no daylight between W and Jeb. The general campaign gives candidates the advantage of being able to address each other more or less directly (if one candidate raises a question, the press will get an answer from the other one or excoriate them for dodging it). I dare (and presumably Hillary will as well) anyone to substantively explain the policy differences between W and Jeb in a way that will resonate. What is Jeb going to say? "Well, I'm going to cut taxes even more", "I'm going to deregulate and privatize more than my brother", "I'm going to spend so much on defense that the world will be scared of us"? And we've all seen the adviser Venn diagram, the same exact thing is going to happen for domestic policy. What's the response there, "Well, unlike my brother I'm hiring these people to tell me what not to do"? I don't think that stuff is going to fly outside of a Republican primary.

• Locked thread