Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Endman posted:

u wot m8
It's an optional piece of data on a legal payslip. I have a mate who still doesn't know what award and/or contract he is employed under as his employer either lies or refuses to divulge depending on the occasion of the request. Given they are risking dismissal on each occasion, it would seem requiring it on a payslip would be reasonable but alas here we are.

If you are posting to complain about my obvious traitorous adoption of capitalism and subsequent stamping of my boots on the proletariat :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

They've been doing the same thing for years. I guess it makes gamers feel like they'd be good for something more than cannon fodder.

Yeah I think ISIS recruiting from games like counterstrike is pretty awful too.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cartoon posted:

If you are posting to complain about my obvious traitorous adoption of capitalism and subsequent stamping of my boots on the proletariat :shrug:

Nah, I was honestly surprised they're not obligated to tell you your award.

I mean, you're still Petit Bourgeois scum, but that's not what I was getting at. <3

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Placing the petit bourgeois up against the wall first would give more time for the industrialists to execute their escape plans.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Who do we put against the wall first?

After hambeet I mean.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yourself. Revolutions are tools of the powerful and revolutionaries are their pawns.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I will take solace in the knowledge I, Endman Tribune of Plebs, died for my people and their emancipation from the capitalists.

And also because hambeet will go first.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Moss report released. Abbott gets poll bounce. Rape camps announced.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

drat Sarah hanson Young needs a speaking coach.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

My lounge room needs a speaking couch.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

tomkash posted:

Don't forget those who work nightshifts either, everyone who doesn't work 9-5 Monday to Friday just got a pay cut. Nightshift penalty rates are extremely important, not many people appreciate how much it can gently caress up your life working opposite hours to everybody else. Having to work weekends is bad enough but waking up after your partner goes to work and getting home after they are in bed, to use the most common example really really sucks.

I did this for 6 months once long ago, yes, it's the worst. Yay for industrial relations advocates screwing the workers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Moss report released. Abbott gets poll bounce. Rape camps announced.

I'd say cum hoc ergo propter hoc, but Australia is just that racist.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

katlington posted:

drat Sarah hanson Young needs a speaking coach.

She seems fine to me :shrug:

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Endman posted:

Does the higher overall pay make up for the loss of penalty rates? If so, it could be a good thing.

Unless you're only able to work longer hours over the weekend, in which case you'll be losing regardless.

Depends I guess. As someone that doesn't get penalty rates (thanks Howard) and works most weekends it's horrible. You can lose a lot of money.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cartoon posted:

It's an optional piece of data on a legal payslip. I have a mate who still doesn't know what award and/or contract he is employed under as his employer either lies or refuses to divulge depending on the occasion of the request. Given they are risking dismissal on each occasion, it would seem requiring it on a payslip would be reasonable but alas here we are.

Aren't most employee rights covered by the federal Fair Work Act these days even if they are on state awards? I can't believe a person can be employed without being told the terms of their employment.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That base rate boost is gonna get eaten up, and it will end up like casual rates. Almost every time you hear someone complaining about how much an employee gets paid too much you will hear them quote the casual rate, where they are choosing to pay 25% more in exchange for taking away workers rights.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
JESUS loving CHRIST GO loving DIE YOU GODDAMN TRAITOR loving SCUM SDA I HOPE SOMEONE SETS FIRE TO YOUR loving GENITALS

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Anyone have the latest on Hockey v Fairfax?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

V for Vegas posted:

Aren't most employee rights covered by the federal Fair Work Act these days even if they are on state awards? I can't believe a person can be employed without being told the terms of their employment.
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/pay-slips-and-record-keeping/pay-slips

quote:

What has to be on a pay slip?

Pay slips have to cover details of an employee’s pay for each pay period. Below is a list of what to include:

employer’s and employee’s name
employer’s Australian Business Number (if applicable)
pay period
date of payment
gross and net pay
if the employee is paid an hourly rate:
the ordinary hourly rate
the number of hours worked at that rate
the total dollar amount of pay at that rate
any loadings, allowances, bonuses, incentive-based payments, penalty rates or other paid entitlements that can be separated out from an employee’s ordinary hourly rate
the pay rate that applied on the last day of employment
any deductions from the employee's pay, including:
the amount and details of each deduction
the name, or name and number of the fund / account the deduction was paid into
any superannuation contributions paid for the employee’s benefit, including:
the amount of contributions made during the pay period (or the amount of contributions that need to be made)
the name and / or number of the superannuation fund the contributions were made to.

Award or contract is not required and is not given by this (and other) employers so that you can't easily check what your actual conditions are.

Also the Saturday loading is only 10% under the retail assistant's award. Retailers are doin' it tough :jerkbag:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gorilla Salad posted:

[nerd post incoming]

I have two fundamental problems with privatising an essential service like power.

The first is that it's essential. The second is that it's a service.

It's nice when a government asset makes a profit, but that's not why they exist. They exist to serve the public and make our country run. When the government owns infrastructure, they tend to over build (yeah, once upon a loving time). So, if there's a sudden or sustained increased need for that service, they can cope.

But private enterprises don't do this. For one simple reason - they don't exist to make products or provide services.

If you ask someone what Ford does, they'll probably tell you they make cars. If you ask someone what Microsoft does, they'll probably tell you they make computer software and peripherals.

They're both wrong.

Ford, Microsoft and every other publicly listed company exist for one reason. To make money.

Ford makes money by selling cars. Microsoft makes money by selling computer software and peripherals. And so on.

Now, this is where most people jump in saying this is a pedantic distinction.

They're wrong about that, too.

Because remember those privately owned power companies? They're not there to provide all homes and businesses with a high quality, uninterrupted supply of electricity. They're only there to make money, too.

But what does this mean? Why bring it up?

For that we need to look no further than the California Electricity Crisis. Remember Enron? This is what they did in a nutshell:

The people of California thought Enron was there to power their homes, their streets, their businesses. They were wrong.

They deliberately shut down power stations to increase the price of electricity and increase their profits. Now, Enron did this in an hilariously illegal manner, but there are still ways private companies can gently caress an entire state and kill whole loads of people and never break a single law.

Imagine you're in Sydney and it's another of those killer summers, with temperatures over 40º all week. Bet you enjoy your electricity supply right now, hey?

But the Abbot/Pyne Power For 1000 Years PTY LTD Electrical Company sees that the price for electricity in Victoria is currently 3% higher than NSW prices. So what do they do? They send their power south and make a tidy bit of extra profit while Sydney suffers rolling brown outs. Heatstroke kills a bunch of young, sick and elderly people. Businesses are strained, some fail. Everyone's lives in Sydney sucks that little bit more.

The Abbot/Pyne Power Co. returns higher than expected profits that quarter. Shareholders are pleased.

THIS is why privatising an essential service is bad.

Companies aren't good or bad. That's not what I'm trying to say here. They're only the means whereby shareholders make money. You don't blame a scorpion for biting you. But you sure as hell don't trust your country's infrastructure to one either.

Government infrastructure exists only to serve the people. Because they're massively loving important and should never be defined by something so goddamn nearsighted as short-term profit when they are the backbone on which our entire nation is built.

There are some things which should only ever be the province of the state. Some things are more important than immediate profits. Some things that should get politicians hung from street lights when they try to gently caress with them to score cheap ideological points.

:siren: Sorry, it's been a boring morning of meetings. :siren:

Howdy,

You make a couple of interesting points here.

Enron was a vile and corrupt house of cards that not only put power out of reach of millions at critical peaks it also brought down the then Governor of California Gray Davis. Enron acted in a way that was highly illegal, completely immoral and probably not enough people are rotting in jail for it. However raising the evil spectre that "private companies can gently caress an entire state and kill whole loads of people and never break a single law" is probably stretching it a tad. Australia is not America from a corporate governance perspective and let's hope it never comes close.

I've been suffering under the terrible yoke of privatised power in Victoria for nearly two decades here and you know what? It probably could be better, but it probably could be worse. From a pricing perspective I'm sure the electricity price down here is more than competetive.

From memory you are describing the Enron "Death Star" tactic. Like California NSW is already a part of an interstate wholesale power market. Though, I doubt this scenario could occur there as the market is much more regulated. I'm sure people can still make the motza off it but Victorian companies haven't killed you off yet.

Yep, agree power is an essential service but for anyone who had to deal with the then SEC (State Electricity Commission) in Victoria would tell you that it was always painfully clear that they were completely unfamiliar with the concept. Yeah, maybe they didn't lose always money but they always delivered woeful service.

A government department can be just as no fucks given as any private company. The only difference is they are measuring their success in growing entitlement balances not profits. And they can be just as negligent, just as deadly.

Case in point 1983 the "Ash Wednesday" bushfire was found to be caused by poor maintenance of power lines. In response the SEC brought power lines up to an acceptable standard - all over the state as they were shitful. No other penalty. Sorry about your lost stuff.

Wind the clock forward to "Black Saturday". AusNet are now hit with a half a billion dollar compensation claim over ONE broken component that was struck by lightening before malfunctioning. I doubt the SEC would have ever been held to that high standard. I know AusNet are incentivised by safety now. I can tell because of the nasty letters I keep getting from them every time a branch from one of the trees on my property grows any where near some of their infrastruture.

So, should NSW privatise? Sounds like the wrong questions to me. I would probably be asking how should NSW manage a likely change to power over the next couple of generations. Essentially is the power infrastructure game even going to be the industry we know it today? From a capture perspective we're doing well. It's the storage dimension that will be a game changer (thinking https://www.ambri.com as an example).

My hopeful belief is that solar will really take off once cheap, reliable and safe storage is cracked. That infrastructure just isn't going to so valuable anymore. People might look back on this as the best chance NSW had to cash in on a system that only half people want in the near future.

Once we eventually get there (because we should) you also have a completely different discussion on who is better placed to mandate change, deliver that change, preserve or unpick what is left behind.

I will agree that none of this is probably playing in the minds of the NSW LNP besides roads, roads, roads but sometimes it's interesting how things turn out.

So while I found your post interesting I think (as with most things) there's always more to the discussion than the privatisation = bad point.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Les Affaires posted:

"Okay you got me, I'll sit this one out until next round... guys? next round? Uh, there's a next round right"

"Captain, private poopl0rd69 was out teabagging the hajis and there was a heap of screaming and then he went radio silent. I think he's lagged out."

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Also;-

Honestly, its like antifa aren't even needed anymore. This current batch appear to be quite sufficient at pwning themselves.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

auzdark posted:

Courier Mail reporting the important things again.

Interesting to see if kids join up for real life quickscoping, knives only rounds and playing Rambo to win sweet sweet weapon unlock points.
America's Army.

Been recruiting for loving years.

Terrorist movements have had supporters making themed CS mods for loving years.

How is this news now?

Malabolg
Apr 21, 2010

My parents, as part of their crusade to turn every bird within 5 kilometres into food-grubbing dole bludgers, taught our local lorikeets to eat meat - much to the dismay of the local magpies who'd had a monopoly on it before.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Graic Gabtar posted:

America's Army.

Been recruiting for loving years.

Terrorist movements have had supporters making themed CS mods for loving years.

How is this news now?

It's the Daily Tele. They still run exposes on secret internet languages that teens use to hide from their parents, like NIFOC (NAKED IN FRONT OF COMPUTER)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tomkash posted:

Don't forget those who work nightshifts either, everyone who doesn't work 9-5 Monday to Friday just got a pay cut. Nightshift penalty rates are extremely important, not many people appreciate how much it can gently caress up your life working opposite hours to everybody else. Having to work weekends is bad enough but waking up after your partner goes to work and getting home after they are in bed, to use the most common example really really sucks.

I have friends who work both Saturdays and Sundays because the time and a half means they effectively get an entire extra day's pay. For some this means an increase in their quality of life because they no longer have to worry so much about every bill. For others it means they only need to work four days a week and can spend an extra day at home taking care of their small children. But for all of them, the extra money is the only reason they chose to work weekends.

I mean, gently caress, why else would you work weird hours?

They're so lucky right now they live in Victoria, but those days are numbered.

With the SDA being scum, what's a good union for poor retail bastards to join?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Gorilla Salad posted:

Seriously, why the hell am I paying them if they're gonna do poo poo like this all the time?

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

I work night shift and weekends (although night shift on weekends pays the same as weekend day shift, which sucks but eh). I definitely only do it for penalty rates, base rate sucks.

Sure do enjoy seeing people a lot less and having to gently caress up my sleep even further just to have dinner with family.
Also sleeping through family bbq's.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

fliptophead posted:

Pretty much this. The actual plan is to sell off the infrastructure, Transgrid, Ausgrid and Endeavor, rather than the power stations, so the means of delivery will be in private hands rather than the coal stations.

Which is what my company does, service substations and grid.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Not exactly "solidarity forever" is it?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So the state will be maintaining the coal generators in the last legs of fossil fuel power generation, while giving away the distribution channels which will be used regardless of changes to energy production :toot:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Nah we'll just burn wood instead

http://theconversation.com/burning-wood-for-electricity-new-demands-new-questions-37954

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
QT's full of laughs, today. JBish opens with "the cuts to the aid budget is the ALP's fault" because the ALP are writing the budget, and then follows it up with "10 year old children are being trained to use weapons in Daesh territory". So they have a choice, I guess: learn to use weapons in Syria or come to Australia and get raped in detention camps

e; Tony says that rape camps are a decent humanitarian program

"There are no more serious crimes than those committed against the young and the vulnerable"

A Liberal talking about immigration camps? No, forced marriage.

ee; Hahaha, Christensen just interrupted on a point of order to say that Bandt (during the forced marriage thing) interjected with "at least they're not in detention"

Murodese fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 24, 2015

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Murodese posted:

QT's full of laughs, today. JBish opens with "the cuts to the aid budget is the ALP's fault" because the ALP are writing the budget, and then follows it up with "10 year old children are being trained to use weapons in Daesh territory". So they have a choice, I guess: learn to use weapons in Syria or come to Australia and get raped in detention camps

e; Tony says that rape camps are a decent humanitarian program

"There are no more serious crimes than those committed against the young and the vulnerable"

A Liberal talking about immigration camps? No, forced marriage.

ee; Hahaha, Christensen just interrupted on a point of order to say that Bandt (during the forced marriage thing) interjected with "at least they're not in detention"

If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad husband to a child bride is a little bit like a bad father or a bad boss

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bishop's pissed that they keep cutting stuff out of her department. It's why she was eyerolling / facepalming behind Hockey yesterday.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

We have to hand it to the treasurer. Not only is targeting foreign aid going to benefit the bottom line without affecting stimulus measures, it also reduces our influence in the region and makes us less of an imperialist power!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Gorilla Salad posted:

I dodged having to join SDA once because there was technically a small amount of tradesman style work involved that fell under the old Misc union so I stuck with United Voice from my hospitality days.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SDA: Not even once.

I heard the announcement this morning on the radio and immediately got angry. Labor and the SDA making a deal to hurt workers, while both pretend to represent them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

starkebn posted:

She seems fine to me :shrug:

Are yo-

are you actually....

serious
*eyes dart around the camera*

serious?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bishop's pissed that they keep cutting stuff out of her department. It's why she was eyerolling / facepalming behind Hockey yesterday.

Hockey's response was gold. Ol' Joe's set the dames in a tizzy again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Four years after a towering tsunami ravaged much of Japan’s northeastern coast, efforts to fend off future disasters are focusing on a nearly 400-kilometer (250-mile) chain of cement sea walls, at places nearly five stories high.

Opponents of the 820 billion yen ($6.8 billion) plan argue that the massive concrete barriers will damage marine ecology and scenery, hinder vital fisheries and actually do little to protect residents who are mostly supposed to relocate to higher ground. Those in favor say the sea walls are a necessary evil, and one that will provide some jobs, at least for a time.

In the northern fishing port of Osabe, Kazutoshi Musashi chafes at the 12.5-meter (41-foot)-high concrete barrier blocking his view of the sea.

“The reality is that it looks like the wall of a jail,” said Musashi, 46, who lived on the seaside before the tsunami struck Osabe and has moved inland since.

Pouring concrete for public works is a staple strategy for the ruling Liberal Democratic Party and its backers in big business and construction, and local officials tend to go along with such plans.

The paradox of such projects, experts say, is that while they may reduce some damage, they can foster complacency. That can be a grave risk along coastlines vulnerable to tsunamis, storm surges and other natural disasters. At least some of the 18,500 people who died or went missing in the 2011 disasters failed to heed warnings to escape in time.

• Locked thread