Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I assume this is old news but I'm gonna post it anyway as I find it hyper amusing.

http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen

PDFs of a ton of old issues of "The General". They are like little time capsules of nerdery. I kinda wish for a time machine so I could be in a 1964 high school wargaming club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Anyone interested in FitL right now?!!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
ASL is a hobby for totally normal, well-adjusted people.

... :negative:

And the baggies in the middle are Rising Sun which hasn't been clipped or stored yet.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

And the baggies in the middle are Rising Sun which hasn't been clipped or stored yet.

I spent an hour yesterday clipping my ASLSK1 chits with my new 2mm corner punch.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

COOL CORN posted:

I am both aroused and repelled by this image.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

COOL CORN posted:

My wife taught kids with ASL for a while, but she burnt out on it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

Think about the fun you'll have playing it! Eventually!

:v:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2016

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Foehammer posted:

I spent an hour yesterday clipping my ASLSK1 chits with my new 2mm corner punch.

You and me both, buddy, though I also threw Combat Commander: Europe and Mediterranean into the mix.

It's so pretty but I realize it's a cry for help

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Foehammer posted:

ASLSK1 + ASLSK3 is the small 6x6 container at the bottom of the image. The rest is Grown Ups' ASL. :smithicide:

And it was all done with a 2mm corner rounder. God help my arm, I'm going to end up looking like one of the guys from the new Skittles commercial.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I want to buy a corner lunch before I buy any more hex games. I also want to actually play a game of live ASL at some point too. :(

I think I am so close to getting it, I just need so play through with someone and it will click.

Gutterling
Jan 20, 2009

Gutter Trash

COOL CORN posted:

God help my arm, I'm going to end up looking like one of the guys from the new Skittles commercial.

You just have to switch hands and get swole as poo poo. I ordered a 2.5mm punch. Now i'm just waiting to get my hands on Beyond Valor.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So there's a few games that my friends and I have been playing a lot of recently. It's made me wonder if there are any similar games out there:

Attack Sub

Modern Naval Battles

Both of these are pretty similar, except Attack Sub uses missions to determine fleet composition and Modern Naval Battles lets you pick a fleet. They're card driven games where you have a number of ships and draw cards to attack, defend, and such. Attacks are ultimately determined by dice rolls.

The third game I've been playing through is World At War. World At War is a more normal hex and counter platoon-level WW3-gone-hot game, minus nukes. That makes me wonder if there are any other good games out there that either model modern naval combat or WW3 with or without nukes.

What are the normal recommendations for those eras?

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
HOLY loving poo poo THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US.

The Finnish ASL module is released and in the wild for sale

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

4outof5 posted:

HOLY loving poo poo THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US.

The Finnish ASL module is released and in the wild for sale

I want it so bad but I just bought For King and Country and Rising Sun in the last month :negative:

That's like 55 scenarios to play before I can justify anything new.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

COOL CORN posted:

I want it so bad but I just bought For King and Country and Rising Sun in the last month :negative:

That's like 55 scenarios to play before I can justify anything new.

What if you need it just to play them in chronological order? I mean. Is it even right to play a scenario out of its historical context--even if it's half way around the world from that context, assuming that scenario is available to you?

It seems like your appreciation for the history and even the game itself could be really compromised by forgoing this expansion. What if you're playing Rising Sun, but you're *thinking* about Finland and can't concentrate?

I think you should think about this.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It seems like half of the ASL hobby is the collecting so I do't see the problem.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Also if you don't buy it now you'll kick yourself once it goes out of print for a few years.

No I'm not kicking myself for not grabbing Beyond Valor

Okay I totally am

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Journey Fraternity posted:

Also if you don't buy it now you'll kick yourself once it goes out of print for a few years.

Okay I totally am

I'm going to wind up getting that stupid Combat Commander tournament battle pack for that reason even though it only has two new scenarios.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Journey Fraternity posted:

Okay I totally am

I am fighting this urge like crazy. I know I would not be able to resist opening and punching them to so reselling value would take a hit. Really I just want to play a loving ASL game. I think like one or two face to face games will get me up to speed enough to play on Vassel.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

bunnielab posted:

I am fighting this urge like crazy. I know I would not be able to resist opening and punching them to so reselling value would take a hit. Really I just want to play a loving ASL game. I think like one or two face to face games will get me up to speed enough to play on Vassel.

gently caress resale value I punched my yanks and king and country sets the first week I got them and I don't even like western front poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

4outof5 posted:

I don't even like western front poo poo.

I dont even like WWII poo poo very much, I just cant find a scifi or fantasy hex&chit game.

Speaking of non-WWII games, are there any standouts in the following eras, assuming I prefer small unit tactical level games:

American Civil War (Lots of games I see but noting small scale)
Spanish Civil War (Super interesting with a ton of varied units)
WWI
Age of Sail Ship Combat (I have seen a few minis games but not into that)
Literally any scifi or Fantasy

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

bunnielab posted:

I dont even like WWII poo poo very much, I just cant find a scifi or fantasy hex&chit game.

Space Empires 4x is a scifi hex&chit game.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

bunnielab posted:

Speaking of non-WWII games, are there any standouts in the following eras, assuming I prefer small unit tactical level games:

Wooden Ships and Iron Men is an old Avalon Hill game that despite its age is still the best game I've ever played on this topic. Not sure of its availability though. Now you've got me wanting to see if I can find my old copy because it would probably make an excellent Let's Play.

Sails of Glory probably counts as a minis game, but it's very boardgame like - it's probably most comparable to X-wing but with more detailed gunnery and damage resolution systems. Depending on what aspect of minis games turns you off, it may or may not be suitable for your needs.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

blackmongoose posted:

Wooden Ships and Iron Men is an old Avalon Hill game that despite its age is still the best game I've ever played on this topic. Not sure of its availability though. Now you've got me wanting to see if I can find my old copy because it would probably make an excellent Let's Play.

Sails of Glory probably counts as a minis game, but it's very boardgame like - it's probably most comparable to X-wing but with more detailed gunnery and damage resolution systems. Depending on what aspect of minis games turns you off, it may or may not be suitable for your needs.

Cool, I will try and hunt up a copy of Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

I looked at Sails of Glory and liked what I saw. My main turn off to minis is mostly storage space, transport, and in some cases a fussiness about scale. Hell, I am thinking of selling all my OGRE counters and 3D models and buying two sets of the old style chits because I cant stand how big the actual Ogre counters are.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Over The Top

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

bunnielab posted:

I looked at Sails of Glory and liked what I saw. My main turn off to minis is mostly storage space, transport, and in some cases a fussiness about scale. Hell, I am thinking of selling all my OGRE counters and 3D models and buying two sets of the old style chits because I cant stand how big the actual Ogre counters are.

Yeah, I remember the ship figures being decently small. No idea on scale, personally I'm not too bothered by it myself. I do recall all the stuff taking up a lot of space, but that might have been because the guy who owned the copy I played with had the fully tricked out kickstarter edition.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's been forever since I played WS&IM so I don't remember too much but it had a really neat simultaneous action system where everyone secretly records their moves and then plays them at the same time. It also tracks the individual masts/guns/crew of each ship (most sane engangements are less than half a dozen ships per side although the true grognards can do like the whole battle of Trafalgar.) Of course when I played it in seventh grade I had a bad habit of messing up my orders and ramming my ships into each other :v:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

StashAugustine posted:

Of course when I played it in seventh grade I had a bad habit of messing up my orders and ramming my ships into each other :v:

This would be the best part if I do end up putting together an LP. How much interest would there be in such a thing? The plan would be for everyone who signed up to get a ship - I'd probably start with a 2 per side scenario to test the concept, then maybe open up a 6 per side if people were enjoying it - and mostly just worry about moving their ship and deciding what to fire at while I ran all the back-end rules stuff and die rolls.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I might be interested. You'd probably want to have some communication at least so people aren't just entirely flying blind.

Fortunately there is a VASSAL mod, so it should work pretty well.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'll give it a shot.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

bunnielab posted:

It looks the bases for Sails of Glory are 50mm by 75mm (~2" by 3"). Here's a picture from BGG, for reference. Since the Starter Box hold four of them (the box is 40 x 27 x 8.5 cm), you could probably hold at least four more in there. Tackle Boxes, or any other boxes with dividers from Wal-Mart or Target, are also popular for holding minis, from my experience with X-Wing. Rulebook and product info is up on Ares's website. It says they're all 1/1000 scale, but I don't know enough about ships to see if that holds up across everything.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Who's ready to go to Nam?

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

bunnielab posted:

American Civil War (Lots of games I see but noting small scale)
Spanish Civil War (Super interesting with a ton of varied units)
WWI
Literally any scifi or Fantasy

The smallest unit of maneuver in the American Civil War was a brigade so ummmmmm

Spanish Civil War tactical combat is pretty much early war world war 2 tactical combat/partisan actions

WW1 would definitely be over the top as previously stated but if you want ww1 tactical I don't see why you wouldn't like ww2 tactical the technology/tactical differences at the small unit action level are not that great.

there are a few age of sail games you should check out: Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Flying Colors (serpent of the seas and blue cross white ensign) from gmt and if you don't mind moving out of hexes sails of glory uses the same system that wings of glory, xwing and attack wing use.

Scifi: OGRE/GEV, astra titanus, warp war (if you can find it), if you're brave ad astra space combat games

Fantasy: battle lore, battles of westros, wizard kings

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

4outof5 posted:

Fantasy: battle lore,

If Battle lore is on the table, Battlecry is the civil war flavor of the same rules system. I guess it's not tactical scale, per se, but it has the same feel.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jesus, how many games use the command and colors system?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Those 2, the original spinoffs, and Memoir 44, as far as I know.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/50/commands-colors

There's also Abaddon and those Zvezda games.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Oh and apparently this:
http://www.pscgames.co.uk/thegreatwar/

:vince:

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/
... Don't uh. Send your hornet squadrons on too many intercepts. Or you'll go blind.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Got a decent bonus from work, deicded to :gizz: some money at DVG. (Already had TAL)

I'm going to be the loneliest wargamer :unsmith: