Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Even if we're narrowing it to just UC, there's still Stardust Memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

1) Watch Turn A
2) You're a massive piece of poo poo for thinking 0080 is anything other than the worst UC gundam produced. It's atrocious and awful and you should feel bad for liking it. It also makes me think you haven't watched much Gundam if you like it so expand your horizons.

Reco-G has been massively boring to me. It is not as bad as bad Gundam (0080, Seed Destiny), but it's not even close to mediocre Gundam offerings in my book. Coming from Tomino I'm honestly disappointed, this show has been really subpar. The storyline has been kinda hamfisted from start to finish, and I haven't felt like they knew what they wanted to do with it the entire time. Just really underwhelming.

I'm going to watch Zeta after this is done with a friend so I can wash that taste from my mouth.

wow

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1) Watch Turn A
2) You're a massive piece of poo poo for thinking 0080 is anything other than the worst UC gundam produced. It's atrocious and awful and you should feel bad for liking it. It also makes me think you haven't watched much Gundam if you like it so expand your horizons.

Reco-G has been massively boring to me. It is not as bad as bad Gundam (0080, Seed Destiny), but it's not even close to mediocre Gundam offerings in my book. Coming from Tomino I'm honestly disappointed, this show has been really subpar. The storyline has been kinda hamfisted from start to finish, and I haven't felt like they knew what they wanted to do with it the entire time. Just really underwhelming.

I'm going to watch Zeta after this is done with a friend so I can wash that taste from my mouth.

Congrats on fitting everything lovely about hardcore mecha fans into a single post.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

10 bucks the dude hates it because they hate children.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reading that post, I can only assume they're confusing 0080 with 0083 because there's no way it's possible to be that vehemently wrong.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

0080 is by far the best thing in the franchise, and still probably would be even if it had a happy ending. No other Gundam series has been quite as cinematic as 0080.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Reading that post, I can only assume they're confusing 0080 with 0083 because there's no way it's possible to be that vehemently wrong.

That would also be really funny.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

1) Watch Turn A

i know this has been done like five times now but what the gently caress

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

It would be funny even if it was AGE because he's legit really upset about someone finding enjoyment in a thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

It would be funny even if it was AGE because he's legit really upset about someone finding enjoyment in a thing.

I mean, that might be an issue if a hypothetical AGE watcher was going 'I liked when all those girls got murdered :fap:', but then again, Zeta fan.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Guys, he just mixed up 0 and 3... He did, right? :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's happened before but that was ridiculously hyperbolic (and arsehole-ish) even for 0083.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's happened before but that was ridiculously hyperbolic (and arsehole-ish) even for 0083.

0083 just has a dumb story and a weak cast, visually it's one of the best looking gundams also.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 0083 Gundam designs are some of my favourites but I'm a Kawamori mecha fanboy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the Xamel scene a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrPCBq5Lxu0

Little visual touches like the missiles disturbing the mist is really cool.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

0083 just has a dumb story and a weak cast, visually it's one of the best looking gundams also.

I wouldn't say the cast was weak, it had some good characters (Burning, Keith, Cima), it's just that the really central characters were not very enjoyable.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ryas posted:

I wouldn't say the cast was weak, it had some good characters (Burning, Keith, Cima), it's just that the really central characters were not very enjoyable.

I wish the show was about Cima instead. Anybody been reading the manga readaption they've been running, the art in it is real good from what I remember.

PotatoSan
Apr 19, 2003

Sounds like someone wants to get raped again.

dogsicle posted:

Personally, I'm hoping that it's the rest of you that are confusing 0080 with 0083.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PotatoSan posted:

Personally, I'm hoping that it's the rest of you that are confusing 0080 with 0083.

Good poo poo, PotatoSan.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

0083 is one of the only shows I got mad at for being so bad. Such a bad show that could've been really good!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

0083 is one of the only shows I got mad at for being so bad. Such a bad show that could've been really good!

0083 could've been amazing if Mrs. Uraki wasn't insistent on feeding her son a diet of paint chips and bleach growing up instead of something healthy like carrots.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

0083 is the only Gundam show I deleted after watching. I kinda regret not having 24/7 access to Men of Destiny, though.

e: Kou bring a grown adult who's picky about vegetables is the one character trait I remember and loathe him for it.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 23, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TARDISman posted:

0083 could've been amazing if Mrs. Uraki wasn't insistent on feeding her son a diet of paint chips and bleach growing up instead of something healthy like carrots.

Uraki was doomed the moment his VA was Vegeta, and the director will run that joke to the ground.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

On the other hand defending MS IGLOO will be the hill that I die on.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The worst part of G-Reco is the lack of tanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't see how anyone can see 0080 and call it bad. Not to your taste, I can understand, but bad? The animations is strong, the script is well-made, the pacing is good, the story is coherent and works well with it's themes (something few Gundams achieve). Just about the only complaint I can think of is that the soundtrack is a bit underwhelming. Not bad, but kind of generic? Great opening and ending themes though.

Man, jsut watch that first sequence again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZULhqmhv3o

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The only question that matters is DO YOU HAVE A BURNING HEART.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

0083 is the only Gundam show I deleted after watching. I kinda regret not having 24/7 access to Men of Destiny, though.

This is why God made soundtrack albums!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've got a friend who hates 0080 because he can't stand little kid characters.

He's got a phenomenally high tolerance for incredibly, colony-droppingly stupid characters, though. So he liked 0083.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Lmao at anyone thinking there are shows worse than age.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I've got a friend who hates 0080 because he can't stand little kid characters.

I too have a low tolerance for the Little Masters in Short Pants, so 0080 was a bit of a struggle for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

Lmao at anyone thinking there are shows worse than age.

Mecha shows in general, or just Gundam?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Is this show actually a decent entry point into Gundam?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I know a few people who have seen very little Gundam and have been enjoying G-Reco, so that is my anecdotal take on it.

I guess it'd be as good an entry point as Turn A in that it draws upon prior Gundam stuff but they explain or imply most of the stuff you need to know? The style of pacing seems to be the bigger barrier of entry towards enjoying the show more than anything else, it's very much a love it or hate it sorta thing.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
0080 was the show I used to introduce my friends into Gundam, if only for the fact that the ending is such a drat gutpunch I figured it'd stand out in their minds

"It's okay Al! The war may be over, but there'll be a new one soon! And it'll be bigger! and more flashy, and more awesome and we won't just get shells, but actual intact bullets! And... Al, why are you crying more? Al it's okay! It's gonna be great! More war! Al? Al...?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mecha shows in general, or just Gundam?

Well, is Cross Ange worse than AGE?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

John McClane posted:

It depends. Do you want a show that you can just watch for the pretty robots shooting each other? Are you going to be annoyed by the seemingly nonsensical plot and characters who seem to lack any clear motivation for doing things because the show outright skips most character development or exposition?

If you're okay with that, it's probably a solid entry point; it's free of the baggage UC series have while also briefly touching on some of the more iconic Gundam elements, the animation is very pretty, and the mecha design is good. If you're looking for something like a crash course in Gundam-as-a-franchise or something that would be "iconically Gundam" then no.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, is Cross Ange worse than AGE?

Yes.

John McClane posted:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It depends. Do you want a show that you can just watch for the pretty robots shooting each other? Are you going to be annoyed by the seemingly nonsensical plot and characters who seem to lack any clear motivation for doing things because the show outright skips most character development or exposition?

If you're okay with that, it's probably a solid entry point; it's free of the baggage UC series have while also briefly touching on some of the more iconic Gundam elements, the animation is very pretty, and the mecha design is good. If you're looking for something like a crash course in Gundam-as-a-franchise or something that would be "iconically Gundam" then no.

If you'd like a good starting point into the Universal Century stuff, go hunt down the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga. They're really nice hardcover manga books that retell the original series with a few minor tweaks and changes. Just stuff like some of the other Earth Federation robots pre-dating the titular Gundam, and from what I understand some of the story points have been moved or tweaked a little due to the benefit of having the entire series on-hand to draw from rather than writing stuff week-to-week per episode.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm really not a fan of The Origin because it has an annoying tendency to make the Zabis over-the-top-cartoon-villain evil rather than the somewhat more nuanced portrayal they had in MSG79 (except for Gihren "I want to be Hitler" Zabi, obviously). It ends up being quite a bit of a departure from MSG79 (and also makes Jimba Ral into a paranoid lunatic instead of a nice man, which is the real problem with it :colbert:).

I stopped at volume 6 or 7 though, so maybe a bunch of that's changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm really not a fan of The Origin because it has an annoying tendency to make the Zabis over-the-top-cartoon-villain evil rather than the somewhat more nuanced portrayal they had in MSG79 (except for Gihren "I want to be Hitler" Zabi, obviously). It ends up being quite a bit of a departure from MSG79 (and also makes Jimba Ral into a paranoid lunatic instead of a nice man, which is the real problem with it :colbert:).

I stopped at volume 6 or 7 though, so maybe a bunch of that's changed.

Stick with it, Volume 7's the last of the flashback.

• Locked thread