Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

orange sky posted:

Try to find some kind of wiki or dictionary that won't spoil the plot. There shouldn't be major spoilers if you're careful.

Also, (don't) try reading Quantum Thief and Fractal Prince as a non native English speaker. gently caress those books. The sentences felt like going around in a circle while spouting out gibberish that's SO COOL while you don't know what the gently caress is going on. I finished the first book and I felt ok with it, it was complicated but interesting. The second book, gently caress that. I want something that, while more poorly written according to some, is actually readable.

But they're written by a non-native speaker! (I know this doesn't actually make them easier to read.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

orange sky posted:

Try to find some kind of wiki or dictionary that won't spoil the plot. There shouldn't be major spoilers if you're careful.

Also, (don't) try reading Quantum Thief and Fractal Prince as a non native English speaker. gently caress those books. The sentences felt like going around in a circle while spouting out gibberish that's SO COOL while you don't know what the gently caress is going on. I finished the first book and I felt ok with it, it was complicated but interesting. The second book, gently caress that. I want something that, while more poorly written according to some, is actually readable.

I actually really liked those books. They are pretty tough to get into but I didn't really feel it was the prose that was dense so much as the constantly hitting you in the face with concepts that you have to figure out contextually. I still have to read The Causal Angle.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

MonkeyBot posted:

I actually really liked those books. They are pretty tough to get into but I didn't really feel it was the prose that was dense so much as the constantly hitting you in the face with concepts that you have to figure out contextually. I still have to read The Causal Angle.

I realize my opinion isn't widespread, the book is pretty well rated. But at a certain moment I just wondered if the same effect couldn't be produced in a more simplistic way than throwing everything at your face, all the time. Some times I think he had a word in english for something and he chose to call it "synthordinia" just because. And as it piles up and you get sentences like "She tries to summon a Repentant, but all her jinn rings are just as dead as the carpet, killed by the echo of the barakah gun". But as I mentioned, English isn't my first language (though I'm fluent).

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The Three-Body Problem was such a great book. I can't wait for the sequel to be translated

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Upcoming Alastair Reynolds book, Slow Bullets. Standalone, I think?

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/10/coming-soon-slow-bullets-by-alastair-reynolds/

Cannot wait :woop:

Poseidon's Wake is coming in April too

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Daktari posted:

So am I the only one who's struggling a bit with The Dragon Never Sleeps?
I'm maybe a 1/6 into the book, and I still don't grasp all the concepts presented. What's the deal with the Other dudes, and how the societies are connected/ the different power structures?

I'd say keep going - I was somewhat confused too but more gets explained/revealed as time goes on. By the end you'll know what's happening. That's another parallel it has with Dune - it sort of throws you in without much of a paddle. It would definitely benefit from a re-read.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

orange sky posted:

"She tries to summon a Repentant, but all her jinn rings are just as dead as the carpet, killed by the echo of the barakah gun".
You're right that the author kind of just makes up words for things that we already have words for, and then never bothers to explain what those things are. Like, instead of "tight-beam radio transmission" we get "thoughtwisp", instead of "miniaturized supercomputer" we get "zoku jewel", and so on.

Admittedly some of these things replace a whole bunch of words with a single word, but it's also hard for some people to infer from context that "upload beam" actually means "disintegrator ray that makes an exact duplicate of you in a hard drive held in an orbiting platform"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hedrigall posted:

If you want to read a much-lauded SF author who writes tons of really offputting sex scenes, read Richard K Morgan.

Also Frank Herbert. Dude gradually put more sex into the Dune books the further the series went until it was the overriding plot point.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh and John Varley. I'd post the Titanides "horse-vagina" Wikipedia excerpt here for like the 9th time, but everyone pretty much knows how it goes by now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hedrigall posted:

Oh and John Varley. I'd post the Titanides "horse-vagina" Wikipedia excerpt here for like the 9th time, but everyone pretty much knows how it goes by now.

I should just make an auto-scroll of that the Book Barn background image

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hedrigall posted:

If you want to read a much-lauded SF author who writes tons of really offputting sex scenes, read Richard K Morgan.

Is it bad that they are off-putting if that is point of the scene?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Anyone know if Blindsight/Echopraxia is getting a third book? I can't find anything online but I may suck at looking.

He talked about it on his blog: http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=5438. It's probably a long way off since hes doing his intelligent squid/sentient money book next iirc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hedrigall posted:

John Varley's not-Gaian Trilogy stuff is just as much about awkward sex writing. There was some book about a future version of humanity that had a computer AI controlling everything that was trying to figure out why people were committing suicide, since everything was essentially paradise for humanity. Characters had sex changes between chapters and everyone hosed everyone.

Turned out the reason people were committing suicide was because they were getting bored having everything handed to them, so the computer stopped doing everything for everyone beyond the bare minimums for survival of the species and things magically got better.

It was almost as bad as that Frank Herbert book The Eyes of Heisenberg.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

John Varley's not-Gaian Trilogy stuff is just as much about awkward sex writing. There was some book about a future version of humanity that had a computer AI controlling everything that was trying to figure out why people were committing suicide, since everything was essentially paradise for humanity. Characters had sex changes between chapters and everyone hosed everyone.
That was "Steel Beach", I think. The issue wasn't that people were bored--at least not in SB--it was more that people were still being rapists and child molesters and generally awful people, and the computer that was in charge of everything had limitations built into its programs that stopped it doing anything.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I finished Hamilton's Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. The sex stuff didn't bother me so much as the detailed descriptions of the character's clothing.

Oh, and ENZYME-BONDED CONCRETE!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I finished Hamilton's Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. The sex stuff didn't bother me so much as the detailed descriptions of the character's clothing.

Oh, and ENZYME-BONDED CONCRETE!

The sex stuff is rarely a big deal in any single Hamilton book - it's usually only a few words out of many, many thousands. It's only across multiple works that the pattern starts to emerge and get a bit creepy.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Miss-Bomarc posted:

That was "Steel Beach", I think. The issue wasn't that people were bored--at least not in SB--it was more that people were still being rapists and child molesters and generally awful people, and the computer that was in charge of everything had limitations built into its programs that stopped it doing anything.

I like Varley. He was one of the first sci-fi authors to really get into questioning gender roles and the like in his novels, and he's a pretty stellar world-builder.

The key part of Steel Beach was that humanity remained awful even after everything was essentially provided for them, but also that their awfulness ended up infecting their nanny AI to the point where the nanny AI tried to kill its wards. I enjoyed that.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
So I found this series, "Flight Records of the Northern Julie", while looking at poster art (the artist did covers for the series). The first book is "Mother Outlaw". I'm not too far into it; so far it looks like it'll be a sort of novelised "Let's Play" for Escape Velocity: Nova. Anyone else ever heard of it?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Man, Escape Velocity: Nova... I used to love that game, but haven't played it in years. I really liked the game's setting and plot, even if it was completely ridiculous. I'd always get trapped into playing the Vell-os storyline, though.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

There's definitely a pattern, and since the British AOC is sixteen for the purpose of Romeo and Juliet cases and eighteen otherwise, it's kind of skeevy.

It's sixteen generally, unless the older participant is in a position of authority over the younger one eg a teacher. But yeah, there's a hint of the creep in Hamilton's sex scenes. The lust for Louise that the total nerd-boy who works in Tottenham Court Road in the last of the Nights Dawn books strikes me as particularly so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's sixteen generally, unless the older participant is in a position of authority over the younger one eg a teacher. But yeah, there's a hint of the creep in Hamilton's sex scenes. The lust for Louise that the total nerd-boy who works in Tottenham Court Road in the last of the Nights Dawn books strikes me as particularly so.

While that was a transparent nerd fantasy, it did at least have the advantage of them both being the same age. It's pretty middle-of-the-road on the Hamilton creepometer, and actually markedly more healthy than Louise's more successful and narrative-endorsed relationship with Joshua.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
So far "Mother Outlaw" is utterly generic.

My earlier characterization of it as "EV Nova Let's Play" is actually pretty on the money. If anything, this reminds me of what we'd get if someone did the Dragonlance thing using MegaTraveller instead of AD&D. Apparently there was a lively movement in sci-fi genre trash fiction of stuff like this, though; The Retrieval Artist and The Idomeni series were kind of like it.

And it's so loving weird that it's all women writing this stuff. I feel like such a goddamn pig for pointing that out but, seriously, maybe there isn't as much distance between trashy romance and trashy sci-fi as I always thought.

If I'd found this when I was 13 I'd have eaten it up. Now it just seems kind of tiresome, although I'll probably finish it. Although my 13-year-old self is like "but DUDE there are like TEN BOOKS of this you HAVE TO READ THEM AAAAAAALLLLL"

PS this book is also an illustration of why you need a loving copyeditor, despite people's insistence that copyediting is just a silly artifact of legacy publishing deadweight and you can TOTALLY just do everything yourself

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 8, 2015

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

If anything, this reminds me of what we'd get if someone did the Dragonlance thing using MegaTraveller instead of AD&D.

This may be the best description of anything that I've ever read.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Miss-Bomarc posted:

My earlier characterization of it as "EV Nova Let's Play" is actually pretty on the money. If anything, this reminds me of what we'd get if someone did the Dragonlance thing using MegaTraveller instead of AD&D. Apparently there was a lively movement in sci-fi genre trash fiction of stuff like this, though; The Retrieval Artist and The Idomeni series were kind of like it.

I read that as DragonQuest at first and was trying to mesh the following paragraphs into some sort of sense...:psyduck:

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

So far "Mother Outlaw" is utterly generic.

And it's so loving weird that it's all women writing this stuff. I feel like such a goddamn pig for pointing that out but, seriously, maybe there isn't as much distance between trashy romance and trashy sci-fi as I always thought.

If I'd found this when I was 13 I'd have eaten it up. Now it just seems kind of tiresome, although I'll probably finish it. Although my 13-year-old self is like "but DUDE there are like TEN BOOKS of this you HAVE TO READ THEM AAAAAAALLLLL"

PS this book is also an illustration of why you need a loving copyeditor, despite people's insistence that copyediting is just a silly artifact of legacy publishing deadweight and you can TOTALLY just do everything yourself
I was feeling up for some airport-level Scifi, so I looked the book up on Amazon. The mercenary cooperation in the book is called Zygna, which I keep reading as Zynga, the FarmVille dudes. I cannot possibly read that and not lose it whenever they're mentioned.
The book seems to be free on kindle right now, so if anyone wants to get in its at least cheap.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

New Vorkosigan novel coming next year. https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/8046824-new-book

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Non-war book about "grownups". Romance?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Biomute posted:

Non-war book about "grownups". Romance?

The last one about his cousin was pretty much romance.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

savinhill posted:

The last one about his cousin was pretty much romance.

And A Civil Campaign before that. And Barrayar, for a lot of it. Romance mixed with other items is pretty much Bujold's stock in trade.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Piell posted:

Oh you have not seen half of Honor's Marysue-ness. She's the best gun duelist and sword duelist and gets a sweet robot arm and laser eye and teaches her cat how to do sign language and has a polyamorous marriage and fires literally a million missiles all at once.. The series starts off pretty god but each book is worse than the one before, so just stop when it gets to be too much.

Edit: Also you can get almost all of the series/side stories totally and legally free here (Torch of Freedom link).

She gets captured and raped but thats ok she just falls in love with her rapist and goes to war against her former homeland.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ulmont posted:

And A Civil Campaign before that. And Barrayar, for a lot of it. Romance mixed with other items is pretty much Bujold's stock in trade.

She does that thing rather well and Cordelia is a hell of a great character in any case; this is a guaranteed buy for me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Groke posted:

She does that thing rather well and Cordelia is a hell of a great character in any case; this is a guaranteed buy for me.

I'll definitely buy and most probably enjoy it, but I was kind of hoping for a By Vorrutyer novel. I just love the clever ones.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kesper North posted:

I'll definitely buy and most probably enjoy it, but I was kind of hoping for a By Vorrutyer novel. I just love the clever ones.

I'm actually hoping for a whole bunch of side-quest adventures of supporting-cast characters. There are many good ones to choose from.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Piell posted:

Oh you have not seen half of Honor's Marysue-ness. She's the best gun duelist and sword duelist and gets a sweet robot arm and laser eye and teaches her cat how to do sign language and has a polyamorous marriage and fires literally a million missiles all at once.. The series starts off pretty god but each book is worse than the one before, so just stop when it gets to be too much.

Edit: Also you can get almost all of the series/side stories totally and legally free here (Torch of Freedom link).
To be fair, the reason why she was so much better than that one rear end in a top hat master duelist is that while he was trained to duel, she was trained to kill somebody with a loving sword.

Honor is pretty Mary Sue-ish though. It's pretty drat annoying, and one of the reasons why I like Cassandra Kresnov so much. Sandy is literally perfect: gorgeous, blonde and white in a (Indian and Southeast Asian dominated) world where blonde and white is seen as exotically sexy, super smart, has an aimbot in her head and can tear power armored soldiers limb from limb if she tries hard enough. But she still comes off as more human than Honor does, with human motivations, flaws, and doubts.

Of course thanks to not being written by David Weber she also doesn't talk like a robot, despite more or less being one.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 23, 2015

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

"To be fair"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
How would you know the book is over unless the character levels up at the end? :downsbravo:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I am being completely sincere when I say I'm totally up for a sci-fi story about an elderly couple getting laid and playing politics. I'll miss the element of mayhem that Miles brings to his stories when he's the main character, though - Bujold's work can be slightly drab without it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Groke posted:

I'm actually hoping for a whole bunch of side-quest adventures of supporting-cast characters. There are many good ones to choose from.

Alys Vorpatril and Simon Illyan, Geriatric Spies! They could totally star in something a la RED. (Come to that, Helen Mirren would make a great Alys).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm reading The Forever War after a long break from reading scifi for fun, and I'm surprised at how jarring the idea of a software-less future is. I have read a lot of classic scifi but not for a long time. The idea of humans interacting with technology through mechanical controls seems absurd to me. The most shocking thing was the idea of the powered suits with dumb mechanical waldos that allow control inputs that will kill the driver, but almost all of the technology strikes me as bizarre. Weapons that have to be aimed by hand, no drone weapons, dumb optics that allow retina-burning settings... it's very weird, and it surprises me how weird it is to me.

Not to mention the very weird opening of the war with seemingly no coherent strategy or objectives.

Oh and the very messed up gender attitudes but I understand that's part of the science fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
The whole smartphone thing wasn't in our consciousness 15 years ago much less 40.

• Locked thread