Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I take it you haven't started dodging lightning yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Whoever designed the butterfly hunt mingame in FFX so that taking a single step after catching the last butterfly kicks you out of the area needs to get their nuts stomped on a little bit.

iirc the game automatically makes the treasure chest available once you touch the last butterfly. Are you sure you aren't missing one? I swear there was one in a really mean position that tends to float juuuuuuust outside the regular camera frame unless you get really close to it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Meiteron posted:

This is mostly all well and good because I'd rather have a massively overleveled opponent to tell me to Come Back Here Later over an arbitrary invisible wall (which are also present and also everywhere but that's a different problem) but it seems like every area beyond the main story line is stuck behind these things. The last mission has a suggested level of what, 36? All but a couple of the side areas and a bunch of the side quests and practically all of the expert missions start way above that. You are restricted to some small fragment of the overall world map for most of the game. This is really a silly amount of content to lock behind the first clear. "Things take 20+ hours to open up" is a criticism that was quite rightly leveled at FFXIII and this is basically the same situation applied to even more things.

Maybe I'm just griping because while I'm on track to beat the game I'm not going to get anywhere into a second playthrough before Bloodborne drops and who knows when I'll come back to this after that.

I don't see them as quite the same thing- FFXIII was mostly criticized for not "opening up" in relation to what seem like basic game mechanics- being able to select your own party members, or being able to diversify what your members can do, etc. Type-0 is more of "Ok, this main quest is the stuff you'll want to do on your first run. We've also included a ton of harder side missions so you're not totally bored just repeating the same stuff in NG+. If you just love crazy challenges, feel free to take it on during your first run."

Type-0 doesn't feel like your hands are arbitrarily tied- all your options open up quickly, and you can do the optional stuff if you want. It just has a broad range of difficulty options at all times, which you can always tackle on subsequent runs. Just think of it like post-game content rather than "walled off" content.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't like even Blitzball, so FFX is pretty much nothing but lovely minigames for me. I think the only one I kind of enjoy is the Monster Arena. Though, I find most minigames in FFs preeeeetty bad, except for Triple Triad and the matching game in II.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

Sounds good. I'll start there. Is there a "tier-list" for song difficulties? I wish it was just like DDR and gave a song-rating difficulty.

Hand cramping also seems to be the bane of me :v:

Not really, but from my personal experience:

Easy:
Fisherman's Horizon
Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
Town (FFII)
Dungeon (FFII)

Hard:
Theme of Love
Force Your Way
The Castle
Maybe I'm a Lion
The Final Battle (FFX)
Heart of Chaos

Of course, your mileage may vary. Anything with a slow, comfortable regular beat is usually manageable. That said, my first All Criticals weren't on that list: Over the Hill and Dark City Treno, which goes to show enjoyability goes a long way as well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

iirc the game automatically makes the treasure chest available once you touch the last butterfly. Are you sure you aren't missing one? I swear there was one in a really mean position that tends to float juuuuuuust outside the regular camera frame unless you get really close to it.

No, he's right, I had this happen. It turned my butterfly hunt from a breezy 10 minutes into 10 breezy minutes plus 20 minutes of cursing because of that last butterfly screwing me the second try and then consequentially terribly screwing up the next 6 or 7 attempts. I too wanted to step on someone's genitals.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'm not going to play an MMO

I'd never played an MMO before it either, and I still found it fun just playing through the story missions by myself. There's even a two week free trial, so you've got nothing to lose.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

That loving Sned posted:

I'd never played an MMO before it either, and I still found it fun just playing through the story missions by myself. There's even a two week free trial, so you've got nothing to lose.

Their ever-lasting, eternal soul.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The White Dragon posted:

The chest flashed and turned solid, which means it activated. However, if you take a single step after catching the last one, you walk into the next zone and the chest disappears, which is total bullshit.

You might be thinking of the second butterfly hunt you have to do, where one of them is behind the starting point where you can't see it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
In Type-0 I just cleared the Silent Key at 32 and I feel like the biggest badass. I was definitely not supposed to be there, though, considering how long it took me.

In truth I very nearly gave up when I found the bigger, badder Iron Giants with permanent regen but Seven could do just enough damage to keep up with the recovery and rely on breaksights and the occasional stun for doing actual damage. For all their one-shot ability they only really have two different types of attacks; I ate a bunch of deaths figuring them out but I got the last three giants in the dungeon in a single attempt once I knew when to stop committing to attacks and get ready to dodge instead.

Thank loving god they didn't respawn, though, so I could trek all the way back to the save point between each kill. Now I have an airship! And aerial battle minigames! This poo poo is awesome, and Seven is the best goddamn character to play as.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I actually have a Lightning Return's question, god help me.

Someone said all of this about XIII-3's localization:

quote:

The main Big Bad wants to turn Lightning into a puppet and his queen to serve him in all the meanings of the word(his battle quotes are pretty revealing). It's really turned down in the english version(which has a different plan for the villain, different reason for the Bonus Boss existing, changed a VA that made the third act actually work(Bhunivelze is voiced by Hope's VA in the japanese version due to Bhunivelze absorbing his heart) and removed pretty much everything concerning romance, love and lust from the game)to the point that one of the tracks is just called Divine Love instead of Consider His Love An Honor where "His" is Hope, the only human that Bhunivelze thought worthy of holding his power due to his feeling for Lightning.

Is this true? If so, it's kinda interesting in what a complete 180 it is froM XIII's translation which was trying to be as "faithful" as possible. This sounds like they drat near rewrote the story for the English version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this true? If so, it's kinda interesting in what a complete 180 it is froM XIII's translation which was trying to be as "faithful" as possible. This sounds like they drat near rewrote the story for the English version.

Eh. That's pretty severely overplaying it. There are some elements of it but they're not front-and-center or anything like that. (Also considering one of the boss's lines in the Japanese version is 'consider my love an honor" it's pretty stretching to claim it is Hope's anything. The English version of the line is more "rejoice in the light of God's love" or something like that.) It sounds like a rumor based off some actual changes that got out of control and people are repeating it as "they completely changed the plot!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 24, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. That's pretty severely overplaying it. There are some elements of it but they're not front-and-center or anything like that. (Also considering one of the boss's lines in the Japanese version is 'consider my love an honor" it's pretty stretching to claim it is Hope's anything. The English version of the line is more "rejoice in the light of God's love" or something like that.) It sounds like a rumor based off some actual changes that got out of control and people are repeating it as "they completely changed the plot!"

They're just following the time honored tradition of bitching about...pretty much any JRPG translation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"How dare these incompetent gaijin sully the perfect script expertly crafted in Great Nippon."

is basically it

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
If Bhunivelze is the creator, does that make him a stand-in for Toriyama? Suddenly the idea of him wanting to make Lightning his queen makes a lot more sense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Any text that uses TvTropes "Thing With Capitals So You Know It Is Important" terminology is not worth reading.

13-3's translation is fine and the game is so patently ridiculous that no one will miss any nuance worth caring about from one language to another.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The "Hope is Lightning's love interest" thing seems to be more a weird and kind of creepy subset of fans more than anything. There is some indication that Bhunivelze has a bit of Lezard Valeth syndrome going on (as is only fitting for Thinly Veiled Valkyrie Profile) but that's about the extent of it and it is absolutely not the character's primary motivation the way it is with Lezard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That feeling were you make it through the Level 36 Expert Trial in Type-0 at level 18, only to perish at the very final officer.

Ultimate despair

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Type-0 start of Chapter 8:

(Don't mouseover this if you're not there, obviously)

What? What? I just... what? Where is all of this coming from? What are these things? Did I miss something? I think I missed something.

I'm so confused. Images and voiceover splashing over the screen as a l99 monster tries to cut me in half. It almost looks like they literally ran out of budget and had to shove all this in with the barest minimum of explanation.

Also I'm just pointing out here that "and suddenly there was an apocalypse and monsters ate everyone" was pulled off with more impact in loving Drakengard so there's that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, I forgot about all the drat minigames in FFX. I did them all and unlocked everyone's final weapons and breaks. Except Lulu's, gently caress that I wasn't going to dodge lightning 200 times.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Harrow posted:

I can see how that would work now that you mention it. As long you either dedicate a character to healing or make your whole team physical attackers abusing the Blood Blade (which is the right choice), you can probably survive anything, especially if someone has a Salve-Maker sub to throw Giant's Draft.

Unfortunately even with that setup one of the optional battles in Chapter 8 with Qada and Mephilia is still complete bullshit. I never did beat that one now that I think about it. But basically the gimmick is that Qada casts Fire Bane on your party and then Mephilia uses her fire summon. It's difficult because Fire Bane overwrites any fire resistances you might have on your characters, and most parties are going to be faster than Qada which means you can't just cheese it with Enigma or something. I think the most common strategy is to have your Spiritmaster be slower than your other party members (but faster than Qada), have your other party members deal as much damage as they can in their turns and have the Spiritmaster use Stillness.

Oxxidation posted:

I got 100% completion on Star Ocean 3 and Legend of Legaia 2. That was my nadir.

Goddamn, I never even beat either of those things. Probably two of the most disappointing sequels I've ever seen, especially given how good Second Story and Legend of Legaia were.

Eej posted:

I take it you haven't started dodging lightning yet.

Lightning dodging is actually much easier since there's a spot you can walk past that will always trigger a bolt which means you can expect it and react to it better than just running around randomly elsewhere.

Butterfly chasing is much worse because of the problem of being able to step offscreen and having to do it over again, as well as the fact that it can be really loving hard to judge exactly where a butterfly is in relation to the path which might end up with you walking right into it when you thought you were actually going around it (especially if you're going from side to side instead of up/down). Still not as bad as Chocobo racing though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

I'm not going to play an MMO

Honestly this is pretty much it

In the past I played MMOs and you feel like you're obligated to play only that game because you're paying for it all the time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Unfortunately even with that setup one of the optional battles in Chapter 8 with Qada and Mephilia is still complete bullshit. I never did beat that one now that I think about it. But basically the gimmick is that Qada casts Fire Bane on your party and then Mephilia uses her fire summon. It's difficult because Fire Bane overwrites any fire resistances you might have on your characters, and most parties are going to be faster than Qada which means you can't just cheese it with Enigma or something. I think the most common strategy is to have your Spiritmaster be slower than your other party members (but faster than Qada), have your other party members deal as much damage as they can in their turns and have the Spiritmaster use Stillness.

All you have to do is cast Slow on Qada so he goes after the rest of his team (allowing you to refresh your elemental resistances before they attack). That is the only trick to it, and then you can win with any team set-up or party speeds.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

If Bhunivelze is the creator, does that make him a stand-in for Toriyama? Suddenly the idea of him wanting to make Lightning his queen makes a lot more sense.

I didn't even play the game and I can tell you yes

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's terrifying what XV represents, if it doesn't do well then it could mean more than just bad for Square. It could affect the industry. It needs to do what the original Final Fantasy did. And I'm not sure it can.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

All you have to do is cast Slow on Qada so he goes after the rest of his team (allowing you to refresh your elemental resistances before they attack). That is the only trick to it, and then you can win with any team set-up or party speeds.

Huh, is it really that simple? I figured he'd be immune to Slow. I remember a lot of posts on that particular fight over in the BD thread so I just assumed Slow wouldn't work and that's why it was such a pain.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

^^^ No enemy in the game is immune to Slow.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Terper posted:

^^^ No enemy in the game is immune to Slow.

I hope they keep that in. Scratch that, make it happen to EVERY enemy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

It's terrifying what XV represents, if it doesn't do well then it could mean more than just bad for Square. It could affect the industry. It needs to do what the original Final Fantasy did. And I'm not sure it can.

I don't think Square is really in the place where it can make big, drastic impacts on the industry anymore. XV may or may not be good, but I don't see it as any more impactful than say, Dragon Age: Inquisition; it might be a really good game, but it's not going to have the same effect as FFI or FFVII did.

If anything, XIV and Curtain Call are better outlooks than anything; they're playing heavily on nostalgia while bringing enough freshness and solid gameplay. They might be kind of niche, but they're speaking to the fans who are likely going to remain loyal after the amount of good work they've done on them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think Square is really in the place where it can make big, drastic impacts on the industry anymore. XV may or may not be good, but I don't see it as any more impactful than say, Dragon Age: Inquisition; it might be a really good game, but it's not going to have the same effect as FFI or FFVII did.

If anything, XIV and Curtain Call are better outlooks than anything; they're playing heavily on nostalgia while bringing enough freshness and solid gameplay. They might be kind of niche, but they're speaking to the fans who are likely going to remain loyal after the amount of good work they've done on them.

For the world? no. For the Japanese console industry, you bet your rear end it does. Consoles are doing horrible in Japan, for console RPGs to be made there needs to be a viable audience for them in their home region, especially for the RPGs. There's a reason Monster Hunter does better on a handheld than it does on a console. Put it like this, if XV is not in fact good enough to convince the japanese community to shell out the cash to buy a home console to play it? than this is it for Final Fantasy a console series, unless it makes such gangbusters overseas to make it profitable to ignore their home audience. This is also it for things such as Xenoblade Chronicles, If these things can not prove themselves to sell well enough, they are going the way of Dragon Quest to the handhelds. That's business, that's economics, these projects have already cost a lot of money, and Handheld gaming is on the rise world over and is near apart of life in japan.

XVs success will determine if Kingdom Hearts remains a console franchise, it will determine is the Console RPG is a business venture in Japan, or a waste of money. This is an important game, it's not like Duke Nukem Forever or Half-Life 3 or anything like that, business models aren't looking at them to see whether or not they will exist into the next generation.

And if you doubt this, one only has to look at the massive shift of RPGs to the handhelds for the last generation in comparison. and considering the PS4, the boner and the Wii-U aren't exactly prevelent in homes there. There is limited space, they spend most of their lives on the move and phone and handheld gaming is much more prevelent and more importantly, much more profitable for less expense.

Because if Square's biggest franchises wont move systems and that doesn't turn a profit, what chance do the lesser companies have? Especially considering it's much harder to get their games overseas.

Dragon Age: Inquisition only meant if people were willing to give Bioware a shot after repeated failures, and general critical response was yes (then again general critical response was there was nothing wrong and Bioware had been utterly perfect) but the CRPG was never in danger for western developers.

Final Fantasy XV is going to be the deciding point not just for square, but for the console industry of japan, if they can't convince people to buy systems for this game, there's not really that much that will. This is like the original Final Fantasy, it's carrying a lot on its shoulders, and if it does poorly, it will hurt more than itself, it could E.T. the whole console industry in Japan. Not just because of itself but all the circumstances leading to this moment.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 24, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not disagreeing with you, but I think Atlus and Persona 4 will be just as significant as FFXV. Persona's more niche, but it's been gaining more ground steadily.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not disagreeing with you, but I think Atlus and Persona 4 will be just as significant as FFXV. Persona's more niche, but it's been gaining more ground steadily.

You could be right, if Persona 5 moves systems, especially since Atlus isn't the kind to waste money on big budget graphics and the like, then the shift would be much more different. I forget when P5 drops though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Console RPGs that weren't Xenoblade, Tales of or the myriad of lovely terrible Idiot Fuckers/Compile Heart titles were pretty much dead all of last gen too. This isn't some new thing to be decided.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Atlus is sort of going the way of handhelds too, SMT IV and Persona Q were both 3DS games after all. Persona 5 might be to Atlus how Onmi is saying XV will be to Square, at the very least there don't seem to be any other big name Atlus games coming out on consoles in the future. Aside from SMT x Fire Emblem but who even knows if that still exists anymore (it probably doesn't).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Twelve by Pies posted:

Atlus is sort of going the way of handhelds too, SMT IV and Persona Q were both 3DS games after all. Persona 5 might be to Atlus how Onmi is saying XV will be to Square, at the very least there don't seem to be any other big name Atlus games coming out on consoles in the future. Aside from SMT x Fire Emblem but who even knows if that still exists anymore (it probably doesn't).

Obviously, I don't know what Atlus has in the pipeline, but if P5 sells well, there's no reason to not keep making console games. A balanced portfolio seems wiser than focusing on handheld or console exclusively.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think when people bring up how consoles are dying out in Japan, they list a lot of factors like floor space and commuting and all that, but seem to gloss over the fact that it's a country with one of the oldest populations in the world, and only getting older because young people aren't getting married or having kids, who are probably the most influential crowds to drive video game sales

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah its not just a shift to handheld it's a general decline in game system sales overall over there.

Even Nintendo sees it with their opening of a mobile/cell division.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Played Episode Duscae while lying in bed last night on the Vita and it was quite awesome. The demo is surprisingly Remote Play friendly.

But holy poo poo :lol: at Noctis' english voice. I cannot believe how bad it is. Anime batman?!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Type-0 start of Chapter 8:

(Don't mouseover this if you're not there, obviously)

What? What? I just... what? Where is all of this coming from? What are these things? Did I miss something? I think I missed something.

I'm so confused. Images and voiceover splashing over the screen as a l99 monster tries to cut me in half. It almost looks like they literally ran out of budget and had to shove all this in with the barest minimum of explanation.

Also I'm just pointing out here that "and suddenly there was an apocalypse and monsters ate everyone" was pulled off with more impact in loving Drakengard so there's that.

End game spoilers, do not highlight!

You might have missed some stuff, if you haven't been reading all the history entries and paying very careful attention to a few almost throwaway lines from some of the class members.

But mostly no, you're getting hit with The Story in fine jrpg form at the of the game.

However! It's actually not bad, believe it or not. Knock out the rest of C8 and it'll make a lot more sense, and you'll understand why people say this is a 2+ playthrough sort of game.

Post game non story spoilers

You will also unlock new cutscenes on the second playthrough, revealing some additional bits, and of course you should be leveled enough to tackle all the expert missions, visit Lorica's ruins, and maybe tackle the Agito tower if you're crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Obviously, I don't know what Atlus has in the pipeline, but if P5 sells well, there's no reason to not keep making console games.

Right, and the same is true of Square. That's what Onmi is saying. If P5/XV sell fairly well on consoles then these companies might continue to make console games, if they don't sell well though then they might swap solely to handheld/mobile platforms.

quote:

A balanced portfolio seems wiser than focusing on handheld or console exclusively.

Not necessarily, the 3DS and phones have a much larger userbase than the Wii U/PS4 and are probably more expensive to develop for (I don't know for sure but I would assume that it takes more work/money to make nice 1080p graphics than whatever the 3DS has). If Square/Atlus can't sell enough copies to turn a nice profit on a console, then switching exclusively on mobile platforms is likely to be much more profitable, the development is likely cheaper and there's a larger audience to sell for. At the very least, either of these companies going console exclusive is pretty much zero. The odds of them going handheld exclusive is potentially pretty decent if the idea that the sales of these games determine whether they consider console gaming profitable anymore.