Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got a new truck... What size fitted sheet do I need again ? Is it a twin or double ? I'm getting both answers from google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Rubber sheets are available for all bed sizes, so order one of each.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
twin.

pretty sure.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks,

Because of the low price of both crude and natural gas, the western Canada oilfield is in the dumps and everyone is losing their jobs. It was my turn a couple weeks ago. Luckily I was only unemployed for a day before being hired back on.

Anyways the new company is refreshing. Hourly pay including downtime in the shop. I'll be running sort of a line-haul, living in the truck a few days at a time.
My new truck is a 2012 Western Star, Super singles up front, tri-drive, 600hp Detroit 16L, and they have it turned up to 650hp :) Engine and trans are new. I'm not sure why, but someone mentioned it had a "DEF issue".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those lights are way illegal, but that won't really come up unless you give them another reason to stop you.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Lookin' spiffffffffffffffy! I'm jealous.

It's interesting that you said someone mentioned that it had a "DEF issue", because frankly I think all trucks have "DEF issues".

A couple of weekends ago my company has a once-a-year mandatory meeting for drivers and office personnel just to get us all on the same page for stuff in sales, how our projections look, and a bunch of other boring bullshit. However, whenever the subject of maintenance comes up every one is like a wild animal trying to yell over one another about how their truck is bullshit, and a lot of the complaints were about our DEF systems.

We had a Master Mechanic and some other guy from our local truck provider come in and try to explain to us what our installed DEF systems actually do and how they work, as well as trying to answer or troubleshoot the problems we are having with the DEF systems, and even they were getting tripped up, saying that they still weren't "100% sure how the DEF interacts with our emissions and engine systems".

It just really pisses me off that we as an industry had to adopt the whole DEF thing in an instant before even making sure that we had most of the kinks worked out. Can someone please explain to me why the hell we continue to use this worthless poo poo?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Because California.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Those lights are way illegal, but that won't really come up unless you give them another reason to stop you.

Yeah im thinking I might cover them and only pull them off to blind the gently caress out of pickups with lightbars on drive the long dark highways such as the one up to red earth, or when im in the bush. It also has the LED trucklites but I think only for high beams. I havent driven it on the road yet as I'm waiting on a new mattress and some VHF radio cert stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jonathan posted:

blind the gently caress out of pickups with lightbars on

Please do this, and when you're done, come down here where all the brotrucks run massive LED lightbars on well-lit streets. Every time one goes by on the other side of the road I with those light bars on, I have to pull over and stop for a minute because I can't see a loving thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Turk February posted:

Lookin' spiffffffffffffffy! I'm jealous.

It's interesting that you said someone mentioned that it had a "DEF issue", because frankly I think all trucks have "DEF issues".

A couple of weekends ago my company has a once-a-year mandatory meeting for drivers and office personnel just to get us all on the same page for stuff in sales, how our projections look, and a bunch of other boring bullshit. However, whenever the subject of maintenance comes up every one is like a wild animal trying to yell over one another about how their truck is bullshit, and a lot of the complaints were about our DEF systems.

We had a Master Mechanic and some other guy from our local truck provider come in and try to explain to us what our installed DEF systems actually do and how they work, as well as trying to answer or troubleshoot the problems we are having with the DEF systems, and even they were getting tripped up, saying that they still weren't "100% sure how the DEF interacts with our emissions and engine systems".

It just really pisses me off that we as an industry had to adopt the whole DEF thing in an instant before even making sure that we had most of the kinks worked out. Can someone please explain to me why the hell we continue to use this worthless poo poo?

I have a pretty good understanding of the whole thing, I've had to explain it to salesmen. There are 3 systems, EGR, DPF, and DEF.

EGR is exhaust gas recirculation, it runs a portion of the exhaust back through the engine, it's been a thing since 02.
DPF is diesel particulate filter, it catches soot in a honeycomb style filter, when the filter starts to plug it burns the soot off. this actually creates more nitrogen oxides. the exhaust comes out super hot, which is why most vehicles with only DPFs often have those exhaust tips that draw more air into the final flow.
DEF is diesel exhaust fluid, also known as selective catalytic reduction. it injects urea into a reaction chamber that reacts with nitrogen oxides. this actually cools and cleans the exhaust enough that it can be dumped out the bottom or side like a regular car.

EPA 2007 brought in the requirement for soot levels and with it DPFs
EPA 2010 brought in the requirement for N0x and with it SCR

These requirements didn't sneak up on anybody. companies that didn't properly prepare got boned. they're also only good for highway trucks. any truck that idles a lot or runs at low speeds gets hosed pretty hard, but every truck needs this poo poo from the factory because government.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Powershift posted:

every truck needs this poo poo from the factory because

Diesel particulate emissions and NOx are pretty nasty poo poo. One fucks up your lungs and the other causes acid rain. Gasoline engines don't really generate either in large quantities, when they are functioning correctly. This isn't an arbitrary thing that some chucklefucks in CARB etc. decided to dump on people.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

I have a pretty good understanding of the whole thing, I've had to explain it to salesmen. There are 3 systems, EGR, DPF, and DEF.

EGR is exhaust gas recirculation, it runs a portion of the exhaust back through the engine, it's been a thing since 02.
DPF is diesel particulate filter, it catches soot in a honeycomb style filter, when the filter starts to plug it burns the soot off. this actually creates more nitrogen oxides. the exhaust comes out super hot, which is why most vehicles with only DPFs often have those exhaust tips that draw more air into the final flow.
DEF is diesel exhaust fluid, also known as selective catalytic reduction. it injects urea into a reaction chamber that reacts with nitrogen oxides. this actually cools and cleans the exhaust enough that it can be dumped out the bottom or side like a regular car.

EPA 2007 brought in the requirement for soot levels and with it DPFs
EPA 2010 brought in the requirement for N0x and with it SCR

These requirements didn't sneak up on anybody. companies that didn't properly prepare got boned. they're also only good for highway trucks. any truck that idles a lot or runs at low speeds gets hosed pretty hard, but every truck needs this poo poo from the factory because government.

No no no you got it all loving wrong.

EGR cooler is what breaks and dumps coolant into the DPF which then causes the engine to suck down diesel and DEF at a massive rate and causes 5000 times more soot than a 2 stroke jimmy.

Also that will be another $30,000 plz.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The local Kenworth service shop has a sign at the service counter that says "Please inform the service writer of an EGR/DPF/DEF delete before scheduling work." and then an explanation about ECU flashes that could gently caress up the engine if they don't know about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EightBit posted:

Diesel particulate emissions and NOx are pretty nasty poo poo. One fucks up your lungs and the other causes acid rain. Gasoline engines don't really generate either in large quantities, when they are functioning correctly. This isn't an arbitrary thing that some chucklefucks in CARB etc. decided to dump on people.

Yeah, but in trucks that idle a lot, it does more harm than good. In trucks that play in the mud, it's just another thing to go horribly wrong.

it lights fire trucks on fire.

jonathan posted:

The local Kenworth service shop has a sign at the service counter that says "Please inform the service writer of an EGR/DPF/DEF delete before scheduling work." and then an explanation about ECU flashes that could gently caress up the engine if they don't know about it.

You mean firing flaming hot diesel into a gutted exhaust is baaaaaaad?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 24, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These trucks that are making good power with all the emissions poo poo though, I bet they run pretty well without any of it. I know on the little pickup turbos diesels they gain a shitload of torque and mileage. The Ford 6.4 with an egr and DPF delete goes from something like 12mpg up to 18-20.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

These trucks that are making good power with all the emissions poo poo though, I bet they run pretty well without any of it. I know on the little pickup turbos diesels they gain a shitload of torque and mileage. The Ford 6.4 with an egr and DPF delete goes from something like 12mpg up to 18-20.

They do. I used to outrun my dad's c15 with my little 12 liter and the same load. Now I can't keep up.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Good times http://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlog/archives/2015/04/20/trailer-of-lunch-meat-traded-for-crack

quote:

Trailer of Lunch Meat Traded for Crack

Swapping sandwiches at lunchtime is a school-time tradition.

Swapping a tractor-trailer filled with lunch meat for some crack cocaine will get you in trouble in Shelby County.

Arkansas truck driver Larry Ron Bowen was sentenced to one year of inpatient drug treatment and six years of probation on Monday. He pleaded guilty in Criminal Court Friday to theft of over $60,000, including more than $50,000 of lunch meat.

Bowen was supposed to deliver the load of meat last June to destinations in Alabama and Florida. The meat never showed up. So, the company used the truck’s GPS and found it at a service station at Lamar and Winchester. Gone was the truck’s refrigerated trailer. The truck’s tires had been replaced with cheaper ones.

But officers found Bowen, sitting near the truck and eating a lunch meat sandwich.
Bowen finally admitted that he was the driver of the truck. He then led them to the trailer hidden in a storage facility nearby. About a third of the shipment was missing.

Bowen said he had stopped at the station three days earlier and “inadvertently” traded the trailer and the lunch meat to two men for crack cocaine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So apparently Swift is installing driver-facing cameras. I hope they'll share the footage with the rest of us.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.ca/2015/04/if-you-have-noticed-swift-trucking.html

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So apparently Swift is installing driver-facing cameras. I hope they'll share the footage with the rest of us.

Lets hope most of the footage is similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Vgptnstyc

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

jonathan posted:

Thanks,

Because of the low price of both crude and natural gas, the western Canada oilfield is in the dumps and everyone is losing their jobs. It was my turn a couple weeks ago. Luckily I was only unemployed for a day before being hired back on.

Anyways the new company is refreshing. Hourly pay including downtime in the shop. I'll be running sort of a line-haul, living in the truck a few days at a time.
My new truck is a 2012 Western Star, Super singles up front, tri-drive, 600hp Detroit 16L, and they have it turned up to 650hp :) Engine and trans are new. I'm not sure why, but someone mentioned it had a "DEF issue".

since when do you need a 16L tri-drive with a 20k front axle to haul vr headsets around?

kidding, nice truck

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's in the pipeline for us too.

Furthermore, I just transferred out of accounting and into operations, fleet maintenance specifically. I get to manage the qualcomms. gently caress the qualcomms.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 25, 2015

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, not digging the cameras at all, even if it is for SWIFT right now.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

One thing nice about these mega carriers doing retarded poo poo like this is that when the lawsuit over wages going from piecemeal to hourly is going to gently caress them in the rear end hard.

"But but we can't track them working"

Bitch please, you have them hitting a timeclock with the e-log system, and a camera in their face AND sleeping area.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Video would mostly be of me digging around in my nose and flicking it out the window at oncoming vehicles. Sound recording would just be poo poo like this playing loudly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGYxNJCx1S8

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

Video would mostly be of me digging around in my nose and flicking it out the window at oncoming vehicles. Sound recording would just be poo poo like this playing loudly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGYxNJCx1S8

Over.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Looks like you guys will not have jobs in a decade

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Truck drivers will still exist even if they're not actually driving the truck. You need someone to blame when the truck can't defy the laws of physics to avoid hitting someone who needs THAT EXIT RIGHT NOW

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hahaha yeah lets see Zee Germans program a computer to do this without me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy5CtbUYz_M

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Hahaha yeah lets see Zee Germans program a computer to do this without me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy5CtbUYz_M

I'm sure they'll be pretty awesome at getting stuck.

I'm just curious how good they're going to be at deciding whether to wipe out the car that just cut them off, the cute little family standing on the sidewalk, or take it's chances in the trees.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dunno, we could use some automation over here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just finished doing a needledrop of Dick Curless' "20 Great Truck Songs" album for a colleague. He'd gotten the album as a gift a few years ago, but he doesn't have a turntable. Luckily, I have one (two, actually) and I'm pretty handy with Audacity.

It's 100% all proper truckin' music, with songs about deadly accidents on the roads, them durn police always settin' up speed traps, and of truckstop fine dinin' and lot lizards etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGFHo_s1P88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJuLIzUWKf4

:911: :patriot:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 6, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

I just finished doing a needledrop of Dick Curless' "20 Great Truck Songs" album for a colleague. He'd gotten the album as a gift a few years ago, but he doesn't have a turntable. Luckily, I have one (two, actually) and I'm pretty handy with Audacity.

It's 100% all proper truckin' music, with songs about deadly accidents on the roads, them durn police always settin' up speed traps, and of truckstop fine dinin' and lot lizards etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGFHo_s1P88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJuLIzUWKf4

:911: :patriot:

Holy poo poo, I never knew I was missing this in my life. Thanks for giving me some awesome new tunes to drive to!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo, I never knew I was missing this in my life. Thanks for giving me some awesome new tunes to drive to!

Check your messages :)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My wife and I have been trying to work out my post US Military retirement plans. I will retire in the next five years with a BS in Business Management with an emphasis in Logistics and 20 years of military logistics experience. My wife plans on finally finishing her accounting degree.

After driving across the country for moves 5 times now and seeing all the trucks on the road, we've thought about exploring the possibility of starting our out trucking fleet.

I have no experience driving trucks but I can get a CDL easily enough and thought maybe we'd drive OTR flatbed for a bit as a team until we either paid the truck off or got enough capital to buy another truck. We'd hire someone to drive the second truck and rinse and repeat until we had a small fleet.

The not being home thing won't matter since we've been nomads for the last 16 years and my son will be in college. We don't fight much and have been stuck in close quarters for extended periods of time in the past. I am mainly concerned about whether this could be profitable.

I can't imagine there are a ton of people who get a CDL and immediately buy a truck. I would have to get some experience somewhere first but I can save enough money to eat whatever loss in wages I'd have driving for a company for a year or so.

Am I completely out of my mind for even giving this a cursory thought? We haven't gotten further in talks than the "Could this even work?" so it's not like I am extremely tied to the idea. It's just something that I thought my wife an I could do together and after 20 years of working for someone else, it might be nice to run our own business.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You are completely out of your mind.

I've known a few guys who've done exactly the same thing as you - get out of the service after x years as a loggie, start up a trucking business, fail very soon after. The entire fleet world is consolidating anyway.

Two things that do work, though, with their drawbacks:

1. Being an owner/operator doing hotshot/high value runs in team operation. This allows you to take advantage of military connections, it's easier for you to get your TWIC card, you can do lots of good loads for big defense contractors once you get known, etc. But the initial financial layout is huge and the risk is even huger.

2. Setting yourself up as an agent for Mercer/Landstar/Admiral Merchants/etc. and just working to book loads and so forth. This is similar to what you probably did in the military, and if done successfully can be spun into a 3PL business. On the other hand the stress can kill you and you may end up kind of slimy.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Am I completely out of my mind for even giving this a cursory thought?

If I was you, I'd get myself a diesel dually and move RVs.

http://www.starfleettrucking.com/rv.html

I wouldn't get into US trucking right now as there is massive dipshittery in the works, from a lowered speed limit, to e-logs, to the threat of robo-trucks, it's all retarded right now. And let's not get started on your fellow drivers. I was the only driver today at a truck stop to understand and know what a loving pay-line is, and what it's used for.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

That's cool, I'll just go on welfare and smoke pot and drink until I reach retirement age of death.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Planes fly themselves but still need folks in the cockpit...

Also.. The layout on insurance is pretty large, if you read the article you need 5mil in insurance and (at lest the way I read the article) 5mil in bond or cash. That's okay for a manufacturer to lay out, but not every trucking outfit can drop that kind of money. So it'll either be the top 5-10 outfits running game, or it'll need to change. Plus NYS will probably be the last state to allow automated trucks in something like the year 2200 so you all can come up here and haul.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I appreciate the input everyone. I will continue looking around at possible retirement occupations. It looks like the trucking industry was even more bleak than I thought it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Planes fly themselves but still need folks in the cockpit...

Also.. The layout on insurance is pretty large, if you read the article you need 5mil in insurance and (at lest the way I read the article) 5mil in bond or cash. That's okay for a manufacturer to lay out, but not every trucking outfit can drop that kind of money. So it'll either be the top 5-10 outfits running game, or it'll need to change. Plus NYS will probably be the last state to allow automated trucks in something like the year 2200 so you all can come up here and haul.

$5 mil per truck? Not possible.

• Locked thread