Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would Cabal Therapy be fair game as a card that could see a reprint, functional or otherwise, at some point in the future in Standard?

I think you could remove the flashback and print it. That removes all of the reasons that it is more powerful than thought seize / duress / inquisition.

The flashback turns it into this card that would probably be too pushed for modern between the strength of existing token generators and the combo potential that being a mill able sack outlet provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I think you could remove the flashback and print it. That removes all of the reasons that it is more powerful than thought seize / duress / inquisition.

If you remove the flashback then there's no point in printing it. You would get a card that is on average a significantly worse Thoughtseize.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
What if the flashback was B or 1B? Then you get the value of knowing what to take but you need to cast it later to be guaranteed to get something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lancelot posted:

What if the flashback was B or 1B? Then you get the value of knowing what to take but you need to cast it later to be guaranteed to get something.

This could still result in scenarios where you choose 3 cards to be discarded by turn 2 and would be a lot stronger in a lot of decks than the current flashback cost.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Cabal Therapy with Rebound could be interesting, as it gives an opponent a turn to set up defenses. Probably should be costed more than B for that opportunity to be worth anything, especially on the play. Maybe BB or 1BB?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rogue 7 posted:

Cabal Therapy with Rebound could be interesting, as it gives an opponent a turn to set up defenses. Probably should be costed more than B for that opportunity to be worth anything, especially on the play. Maybe BB or 1BB?

Cabal Therapy with Rebound would be hideous, at least in Standard. Cast, naming whatever, then when you see their hand, you know what to take next, and you get to see their draw. Maybe less so at 1BB, but I can see it being a powerhouse at BB, definitely so if the format has a 1-cmc discard spell (Duress, Despise, Thoughtseize right now).

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Brain Pry's kind of similar to what you'd want a standard-friendly Therapy to be.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

vOv posted:

Just ban all cards that let you search your library. Problem solved.

Wrong, my Sisay deck is built around tutoring but is not degenerate until I'm swinging with Heroes' Podium and green Kamahl thank you very much :colbert:

rabidsquid posted:

It's no Visions of Beyond.

This guy knows what's up.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Any interest that I had in EDH is now dead. (Previous interest: 0.000001%)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pinwiz11 posted:

Interest in EDH should honestly only be from a financial perspective. I'm still lmao that my scion foil dragons are worth something now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pinwiz11 posted:

And nothing of value was lost~

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Pretty sure no discard spell that has an overwhelmingly high likelihood of only taking a single spell will never see play at more than 1 mana, Rebound or not. Distress saw 0 play.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chill la Chill posted:

Interest in EDH should honestly only be from a financial perspective. I'm still lmao that my [card] are worth something now.
Fixed. I loathe EDH from a play perspective but from a finance angle I loving love it SO MUCH. My trade binder at least tripled in value because of it.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

hi ulillillia

also reprint therapy it's a powerful card but also a skill testing one. it's def one of the best designs in magic

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would Cabal Therapy be fair game as a card that could see a reprint, functional or otherwise, at some point in the future in Standard?

The name ties it to specific flavor AND it would have to be in a set with Flashback AND they might not want it in Modern, so I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a good candidate for another reprint in a supplementary product though.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I mean not literally every tutor needs to be banned, but I don't see why they don't try and take out easy repeatable tutors like survival/ fauna shaman or really cheap powerful ones like demonic/vamp. I don't see Sliver Overlord as a problems because he only searches for slivers, so he keeps it kind of limited and he is your commander so you build around him. It's just super lame to play against some bant value/goodstuff deck that just tutors up silver bullets or efficient boring threats.
Watching EDH players slapfight each other about what the Proper Way to Play EDH is and what's too try-hard will always be more fun than actually playing EDH.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cabal Therapy is the best discard spell they've ever printed, not in terms of raw power but in that it makes for interesting decisions from both players. Can't believe they don't want to reprint that but have done so with Thoughtseize and likely will reprint Inquisition soon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'd rather be on the receiving end of Cabal Therapy than Inquisition or Thoughtseize.

The main problem with it is if there's another "see opponents hand" card in the format, you get shittons of value out of it. I don't think wizards wants you togrt potential 4 for 1s, because if you're flashing it back its probably sacing a dude that wants to die, right?

We probably aren't seeing Flashback for a long time though, thanks to Innistrad.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
they should really make flashback evergreen

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
As a person building a cube I loving hate EDH players. Not only is it the most boring and uninteresting format ever, but these assholes are jacking up the price of cards that should be dirt cheap. Please stop playing these boring formats, they were created mostly to increase card prices.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

The name ties it to specific flavor AND it would have to be in a set with Flashback AND they might not want it in Modern, so I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a good candidate for another reprint in a supplementary product though.

Watching EDH players slapfight each other about what the Proper Way to Play EDH is and what's too try-hard will always be more fun than actually playing EDH.

I believe Maro already mentioned that even though The Cabal is a specific term in Magic, it is also a general term for a secretive group so it could be reprinted without causing flavor issues. Its purely a power level thing why they don't want to reprint it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Xeom posted:

As a person building a cube I loving hate EDH players. Not only is it the most boring and uninteresting format ever, but these assholes are jacking up the price of cards that should be dirt cheap. Please stop playing these boring formats, they were created mostly to increase card prices.

Nah, they were created to be the perfect format where you can play whatever you want, just so long as you're not trying too hard to actually win.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
It's the Island of Misfit Toys for the rares and mythics that are unplayable in any other constructed format.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Four Score posted:

It's the Island of Misfit Toys for the rares and mythics that are unplayable in any other constructed format.

Yup. Where else am I going to get a chance to play Melek, Jor Kadeen, or Muzzio?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

gang sines posted:

they should really make flashback evergreen

This, but for Cycling and Kicker.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Serperoth posted:

Stop reminding me how poo poo their last implementation of Cycling was. :(

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Serperoth posted:

really i think all three of these should be evergreen, they are all great mechanics that add a ton to gameplay

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bring back Fluctuator :colbert:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Yup. Where else am I going to get a chance to play Melek, Jor Kadeen, or Muzzio?

You can just make a deck with those cards and play with people.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

gang sines posted:

really i think all three of these should be evergreen, they are all great mechanics that add a ton to gameplay

Yeah, I really agree with the Killing a Goldfish guy on that end. Maybe less so on Flashback or Buyback, but Cycling and Kicker are excellent mechanics, with low complexity and a very open design space.

Joke option: Cycle of "Cycling Duals". Lands with basic land types and they all have "Basic landcycling C/D", where C/D are the colours it can make.

VV: Yeah I know it was strong, but I like it as a mechanic, especially on something like Whispers of the Muse. And there's a lot of design space too, since they've only done same-colour, colourless, and alternate buyback costs. They could do allied/enemy colour buyback, multicoloured cards with single-colour buyback, or who knows what more.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 24, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Buyback isn't ever coming back. Flashback was a fixed Buyback and it's been tremendously successful at meeting that goal.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I'd agree with Flashback and Cycling, but thats cuz I'm a spikey spikey, and things that give value and reduce variance are things that I love. That being said, Wizards has a vested interest in keeping the variance from getting to low, as variance is what lets bad players beat good players. And bad players winning is how you hook them for life.

However, Kicker needs to be sparingly used. Yeah its an amazing mechanic, but thats because it takes over way to much design space. A good portion of mechanics reduce down to kicker. Entwine, Fuse Spells (sort of), conditional effects like on Dragonlord's Prerogative or Silumgar's Scorn...the list goes on. Kicker is just to big a space to have as evergreen, it will overtake a good portion of the mechanics in any given set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't think every block needs flashback, cycling, or kicker explicitly, just something to smooth variance. In recent sets, bestow, strive, scry, and morph have all filled similar roles.

Most modal mechanics are all variants of each other with some corner case exceptions anyway. Buyback, overload, entwine, and strive are all just more narrow, and generally more flavorful, forms of kicker, for example.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

whydirt posted:

I don't think every block needs flashback, cycling, or kicker explicitly, just something to smooth variance. In recent sets, bestow, strive, scry, and morph have all filled similar roles.

Most modal mechanics are all variants of each other with some corner case exceptions anyway. Buyback, overload, entwine, and strive are all just more narrow, and generally more flavorful, forms of kicker, for example.

I think the dev team has been moving towards smoothing out variation in every color anyway. More green creatures draw cards now, and red's new draw mechanic Im sure will continue to show up.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
making kicker evergreen is prob a bad marketing move because yeah you'd just do poo poo w/ kicker instead of making new keywords for everything and history has shown us that people can't see themes that aren't spelled out for them. i think if you could magically design a game agnostic of that it'd be perfectly fine evergreen but oh well.

oh and scry should be evergreen too!! poo poo keep the temples floating around.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the temples reprinted in Origins, although I don't think they will. But it's at a pretty good place for dual lands in standard and wouldn't mind them in the set after Zendikar

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jonked posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the temples reprinted in Origins, although I don't think they will. But it's at a pretty good place for dual lands in standard and wouldn't mind them in the set after Zendikar

I think the friendly pain lands are most likely.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think they'll print the ice age/friendly pain lands in origins. Phil foglio sulfurous springs here I come

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
^^ :argh:

mcmagic posted:

I think the friendly pain lands are most likely.

Yeah, get your Phil Foglio sulfurous springs now.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just hope January's WorldRewake has enemy man lands and that the WB and WR ones don't suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I just want enemy fetches printed at common in Battle for Zendikar.

It could happen right?

No, it couldn't

• Locked thread