Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I saw an article that compared student loan debt for STEM majors to venture capital for future entrepreneurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

I saw an article that compared student loan debt for STEM majors to venture capital for future entrepreneurs

something that truly successful ones don't need and won't have?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
let's make a startup that offers stemgineers money for college in exchange for 20% of their lifetime earnings.

lyfestartr

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

let's make a startup that offers stemgineers money for college in exchange for 20% of their lifetime earnings.

lyfestartr

this exists I forget what it's called

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

indentured servitude

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

indentured servitude

people are corporations too

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
he's not joking it does exist

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I didn't believe it already existed and http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/your-money/unusual-student-loan-programs-link-to-future-earnings.html?_r=0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

lyfestartr

"accepting an in-state full ride in the south"

they just take it pre-paycheck

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

of course it existed.

that image:
strong alignment - captain of industry
weak alignment - cares about making the world a better place, dealing with the public.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nagato posted:

the problem is never the corporation. the problem is always the people who are too stupid to know whats good for them

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/09/the_nanny_state_didnt_show_up.html

i've been tonguing at this thought for a year or two now and couldn't quite formulate it so thanks for this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i always believe they exist

whenever someone makes a joke about some dumb startup idea that couldn't possibly exist, the first thing i do is punch that into google and try to find who's done it already

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

oh you'd believe that's not the only one right

https://www.upstart.com

http://www.inc.com/christina-desmarais/funding-platform-upstart-invest-in-college-grads.html

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Haha ok so upstart was what I was thinking of but if you check their site they've pivoted already to just doing subprime loans but with an app

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also there's seekingarrangement but I guess they ain't doin so hot

http://jezebel.com/sugar-daddy-website-shockingly-not-so-popular-with-coll-1679011189

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncurable mlady posted:

Haha ok so upstart was what I was thinking of but if you check their site they've pivoted already to just doing subprime loans but with an app

yeah they basically got informed that they might be doing something vastly illegal so unlike other companies they switched to something immoral but legal

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Nagato posted:

the problem is never the corporation. the problem is always the people who are too stupid to know whats good for them

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/09/the_nanny_state_didnt_show_up.html

malcolm gladwell?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr Dog posted:

these ppl tend to be heavy on privilege and light on actual gifts tbh although unfortunately a lot of genuinely talented coders are also loving terrible people (c.f. John Carmack)

what's wrong with Carmack? he seems very nice and reasonable

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Subjunctive posted:

iirc hes a hardcore just-world libertarian (and maybe a biotruther)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FMguru posted:

iirc hes a hardcore just-world libertarian (and maybe a biotruther)

I knew he was libertarian, though he keeps his politics out of the office AFAICT, but I didn't think it extended to being an awful person. hmm.

e: ok, def have to make fun of him for the Bitcoin thing

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I knew he was libertarian, though he keeps his politics out of the office AFAICT, but I didn't think it extended to being an awful person. hmm.

libertarians think the government should be out of the business of social welfare. a libertarian identity is pretty incompatible with not being an awful person.

John Carmack posted:

My core thesis is that the federal government delivers very poor value for the resources it consumes, and that society as a whole would be better off with a government that was less ambitious. This is not to say that it doesn’t provide many valuable and even critical services, but that the cost of having the government provide them is much higher than you would tolerate from a company or individual you chose to do business with. For almost every task, it is a poor tool.

So much of the government just grinds up money, like shoveling cash into a wood chipper. It is ghastly to watch. Billions and billions of dollars. Imagine every stupid dot-com company that you ever heard of that suckered in millions of dollars of investor money before leaving a smoking crater in the ground with nothing to show for it. Add up all that waste, all that stupidity. All together, it is a rounding error versus the analogous program results in the government. Private enterprises can’t go on squandering resources like that for long, but it is standard operating procedure for the government.

Well, can’t we make the government more efficient, so they can accomplish its tasks for less, or do more good work? Sure, there is room for improvement everywhere, but there are important fundamental limits. It is entertaining to imagine a corporate turnaround expert being told to get the federal house in shape, but it can’t happen. The modern civil service employment arrangement is probably superior to the historic jobs-as-political-spoils approach, but it insulates the workforce from the forces that improve commercial enterprises, and the voting influence of each worker is completely uncorrelated with their value. Without the goal and scorecard of profit, it is hard to even make value judgments between people and programs, so there are few checks against mounting inefficiency and abject failure, let alone evolution towards improvement.
[...]
However, a lot is done in the name of misplaced idealism. It isn’t hard to look around the world and find something that you feel needs fixing. The world gets to be a better place by people taking action to improve things, but it is easy for the thought to occur that if the government can be made to address your issue, it could give results far greater than what you would be able to accomplish with direct action. Even if you knew that it wasn’t going to be managed especially well, it would make up for it in volume. This has an obvious appeal.

Every idealistic cry for the government to “Do Something” means raising revenue, which means taking money from people to spend in the name of the new cause instead of letting it be used for whatever purpose the earner would have preferred.
[...]
Helping people directly can be a noble thing. Forcing other people to do it with great inefficiency? Not so much. There isn’t a single thing that I would petition the federal government to add to its task list, and I would ask that it stop doing the majority of the things that it is currently doing. My vote is going to the candidates that at least vector in that direction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:negative:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
governments are hella efficient when you let them

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chris Knight posted:

governments are hella efficient when you let them

it partially comes from having reasonable caps on what they pay people in leadership roles. nobody in the us gov gets more than $400k. my 401k thing has no million-dollar-bonus hotshot traders and as a result has fees one or two orders of magnitude less than private funds.

most of the inefficiency is designed in because one person's efficiency is another person's way to funnel money to a buddy without oversight.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

lol here we gooooo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's always amazing when someone so smart can be such an idiot when it comes to social and economic policy

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

the cost of having the government provide them is much higher than you would tolerate from a company or individual you chose to do business with. For almost every task, it is a poor tool.

*cough* american healthcare *cough*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jre posted:

*cough* american healthcare *cough*

isn't public healthcare in the US also inefficient? like, highest per-capita public spending in the world for bad outcomes?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

isn't public healthcare in the US also inefficient? like, highest per-capita public spending in the world for bad outcomes?

yes that is the joke dot pee en gee you got it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

We are the highest per-capita in the world across the board in spending. The US's public healthcare programs are administered by health insurance companies under the oversight of the government.

Apr 7, 2003

Also Shaggar is 100% right that it's providers, not insurers causing the problem.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Um no it wasn't ?

quote:

We are the highest per-capita in the world across the board in spending. The US's public healthcare programs are administered by health insurance companies under the oversight of the government.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rip all those people in the plane crash

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pinterest Mom posted:

huh, I read that the other way, like the OP was contradicting rather than supporting Carmack. the more I know.

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

their bodies are all twisted up in little knotsies

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

triple sulk posted:

christ cnn is garbage

quote:

Mayor: Area of crash site is sparsely populated

The mayor of the French community of Barcelonnette, near the crash site, told CNN affiliate BFMTV that emergency responders had been sent to the crash area. A helicopter has also been deployed to try to locate the precise crash site, he said.

The valley is long and snow-covered, and access is difficult, Barcelonnette Mayor Pierre Martin-Charpenel said. It was well populated in the 19th century but there are almost no people living there now, he said.

It's an out-of-the-way place with magnificent scenery, he said.

:pwn:

Yes, once we clear out the bodies you should come for vacation

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

christ cnn is garbage

they may as well have been more succinct and said that the responders have a lot of work ahead of them in trying to find the strangers in the alps

Apr 7, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

christ cnn is garbage

Yes, once we clear out the bodies you should come for vacation

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie