Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Relevant to gift discussion

Bread Set Jettison posted:

For groomsmen gifts I need to pick out a bunch of nice beers in growlers. My plan right now is to buy just random poo poo for most of the party, then buy the FoB cider because hes not a big drinker, buy small things of vodka for my non beer drinkers and one growler of rootbeer for my straight edge friend. Pairing this with nice custom bottle openers, I think Im set.

Then for best man/FoBs extra gifts I need to figure poo poo out.

Also for my Best man(s) Im gonna get them a nice chef knife and Father of the Bride I might do one of those Omaha Steak things since he has like a million chef knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Relevant to gift discussion

Also for my Best man(s) Im gonna get them a nice chef knife and Father of the Bride I might do one of those Omaha Steak things since he has like a million chef knives.

Have you checked out the kitchen knife thread in GWS? They might be able to give you some good suggestions for a chef's knife.

Also, anyone can hit up etsy and type in "groomsmen/bridesmaids gifts" and see a ton of awesome ideas. The growler suggestion is pretty cool too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Skutter posted:

Have you checked out the kitchen knife thread in GWS? They might be able to give you some good suggestions for a chef's knife.

Also, anyone can hit up etsy and type in "groomsmen/bridesmaids gifts" and see a ton of awesome ideas. The growler suggestion is pretty cool too.

Already got one picked out :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wonder if there's any service that would monogram a kitchen knife.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I've been looking :( and haven't found one. Maybe I can get a knife cover to get engraved?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Come to think of it, do you have a laser etching place around? Ask them what they could do.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

I've been looking :( and haven't found one. Maybe I can get a knife cover to get engraved?

Any place that does engraving will engrave a knife, its a pretty standard issue thing to do if you have one of those "Things Remembered" kiosks.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I do laser engraving at work, have done a couple things for goons in the past. It might be easier to find a local place, but I might be able to help you out. I'm in Massachusetts, btw.

Foodship9
Oct 22, 2010
I'm back with another ring question: We're looking at wedding bands now and are interested in the alternative metals (titanium/tungsten carbide), partly for the price, and partly because they seem pretty cool. The engagement ring she picked out has a contour to it, which makes it awkward to wear with a wedding band with a flat edge. Is she pretty much limited to gold/silver rings that fit this profile? I know that some people don't wear their engagement and wedding rings at the same time, but it seems like a bit of a waste to only wear the engagement ring for a year.

Also another side question: I searched up tungsten carbide / titanium rings on aliexpress out of curiosity. I'm assuming that these rings are knock-offs or not really the advertised material since some of them are $8-$20. Does anyone have experience with these rings or know why they're a tenth of the usual cost?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I do laser engraving at work, have done a couple things for goons in the past. It might be easier to find a local place, but I might be able to help you out. I'm in Massachusetts, btw.

Possibly, I just am not sure what I would engrave on their knife. I think Engraved bottle openers are cool but etching someone's name into a knife is a bit weird. Idk Im torn.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Foodship9 posted:

Also another side question: I searched up tungsten carbide / titanium rings on aliexpress out of curiosity. I'm assuming that these rings are knock-offs or not really the advertised material since some of them are $8-$20. Does anyone have experience with these rings or know why they're a tenth of the usual cost?

These are not expensive metals.

Here's a pound of 0.999 pure titanium for $38, and it's a light metal so that's a lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-lb-Pound-...=item2ed14250bd

Tungsten carbide is used for drill bits and is an industrial material.

Pure tungsten can get slightly pricier, at $30 an ounce, but it appears no one makes rings out of it because it's so unworkable.

For comparison, gold is like $1200 an ounce, and you can get a gold band for a few hundred bucks.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Foodship9 posted:

I'm back with another ring question: We're looking at wedding bands now and are interested in the alternative metals (titanium/tungsten carbide), partly for the price, and partly because they seem pretty cool. The engagement ring she picked out has a contour to it, which makes it awkward to wear with a wedding band with a flat edge. Is she pretty much limited to gold/silver rings that fit this profile? I know that some people don't wear their engagement and wedding rings at the same time, but it seems like a bit of a waste to only wear the engagement ring for a year.

I think I linked these guys a couple pages back too. Metal Factory on Amazon makes pretty neat rings for good prices. I got a titanium ring with channel set CZs for like $8 (I am a man). They shouldn't be too bad on price and have lots of options. Just wish my fiancé followed suit...she spent $1800 on her wedding band and that was AFTER I used my charm and connections to knock down the price from $2600!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Foodship9 posted:

Wear the engagement ring on the other hand?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

We had our engagement shoot on Monday in Rocky Mountain National Park. A snow shower unexpectedly came through and god drat did we hire amazing photographers.

Now I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

That's such a gorgeous background, and you two look nice too :P

I've got my fingers crossed I get a picture of us with a nice background when we get married, there's a big open space on our wall that needs filling :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ch3cooh posted:

We had our engagement shoot on Monday in Rocky Mountain National Park. A snow shower unexpectedly came through and god drat did we hire amazing photographers.

Now I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Hey, cologoon. That's where we're thinking of getting married, actually. Not the same exact spot, and not in the winter, but RMNP close to Estes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wow I am super good at seating charts. I am like, the rainman of seating charts

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
My proposal was a success.

Now planning a wedding. It's been 8 days and I already want to elope.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Engagement and Wedding Megathread - It's been 8 days and I already want to elope.

It would be so much easier and cheaper.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

EvilElmo posted:

My proposal was a success.

Now planning a wedding. It's been 8 days and I already want to elope.

Congratulations!

Welcome to the Jungle, except there's no fun and games. Only stress.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

Congratulations!

Welcome to the Jungle, except there's no fun and games. Only stress.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Engagement and Wedding Megathread - It's been 8 days and I already want to elope.

It would be so much easier and cheaper.

Thanks team! At least we won the battle with parents regarding the size of the wedding. Down from a few hundred (300+) to around 80.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

What do you guys think of this as gifts for the men in the wedding party? They will be getting a tie and pocket square as well since the ties and pocket squares provided with the tuxes suck and don't match very well.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

OssiansFolly posted:

What do you guys think of this as gifts for the men in the wedding party? They will be getting a tie and pocket square as well since the ties and pocket squares provided with the tuxes suck and don't match very well.

I'd pass. At $38 post engraving that's probably a poor quality knife. Either they'd use the knife, and it's inferior, or they don't use it and they end up with novelty that could potentially be considered illegal in some areas. It'll end up as junk either way.

Also you probably shouldn't get a matching tie and pocket square. Stick with a white pocket square and consider going flashy with the boutonnières instead.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

LogisticEarth posted:

I'd pass. At $38 post engraving that's probably a poor quality knife. Either they'd use the knife, and it's inferior, or they don't use it and they end up with novelty that could potentially be considered illegal in some areas. It'll end up as junk either way.

Also you probably shouldn't get a matching tie and pocket square. Stick with a white pocket square and consider going flashy with the boutonnières instead.

Well the pocket square isn't an exact match. The tie, vest and pocket square is what sets them apart from me, so my fiancé wants them to have orange for those items.

I guess it is back to the drawing board with the gift ideas then...I just don't want to do the usual "here is a flask" gift...pretty sure everyone in the wedding party has 2-3 of them from other weddings at this point.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

I guess it is back to the drawing board with the gift ideas then...I just don't want to do the usual "here is a flask" gift...pretty sure everyone in the wedding party has 2-3 of them from other weddings at this point.

What's your budget? There are a few decent knife companies that do engraving. Something a little more everyday than a giant fuckoff bowie knife (e.g. a traditional folding pen knife) would be a great idea. I'm always a fan of selecting quality over engravability too. Yeah it's tradition to have the stuff monogrammed but I have a feeling that that leads to a lot of nicely monogrammed stuff that sits in a junk drawer at home.

Other ideas:
-Wet shaving kit
-Dopp kit (lots of nice leather ones on Etsy)
-Sunglasses (e.g American Optical?)
-High quality pen and journal
-Quality moneyclip (e.g titanium)
-If they're moderately into sports you can get stuff like a Louisville Slugger engraved.

It's fairly simple, but just requires a bit of knowledge about the guys who are getting the gift. That always makes blanket suggestions tricky. It should be quality, even if it's small. And preferable it would be something you use everyday (e.g. pocketknife) or on special occasions (e.g. a suit accessory). Not something that might end up sitting on a shelf.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Does anyone have some good stock phrases to use in thank you cards?
We just got through two office wedding showers and I just have no idea what to say to random coworkers after "Thank you for the gift card!"

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

DaChurl posted:

Does anyone have some good stock phrases to use in thank you cards?
We just got through two office wedding showers and I just have no idea what to say to random coworkers after "Thank you for the gift card!"

Thank you for your generous gift and for attending *insert event here*. We are happy that you could help share this special event with us.

LogisticEarth posted:

What's your budget? There are a few decent knife companies that do engraving. Something a little more everyday than a giant fuckoff bowie knife (e.g. a traditional folding pen knife) would be a great idea. I'm always a fan of selecting quality over engravability too. Yeah it's tradition to have the stuff monogrammed but I have a feeling that that leads to a lot of nicely monogrammed stuff that sits in a junk drawer at home.

Other ideas:
-Wet shaving kit
-Dopp kit (lots of nice leather ones on Etsy)
-Sunglasses (e.g American Optical?)
-High quality pen and journal
-Quality moneyclip (e.g titanium)
-If they're moderately into sports you can get stuff like a Louisville Slugger engraved.

It's fairly simple, but just requires a bit of knowledge about the guys who are getting the gift. That always makes blanket suggestions tricky. It should be quality, even if it's small. And preferable it would be something you use everyday (e.g. pocketknife) or on special occasions (e.g. a suit accessory). Not something that might end up sitting on a shelf.

I may just see if there is a better knife to get then. I would like to keep the budget to around $40. That puts the gifts at around $60/person which is my budget.

Edit: What about an engraved Zippo? Everyone can use an appreciate a good lighter, right?

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 30, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Has anyone ever used luminaries for table numbers?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

Edit: What about an engraved Zippo? Everyone can use an appreciate a good lighter, right?

If they're smokers a Zippo would be good. If they're not, or if they're cigar or :2bong: smokers then a butane lighter might be better. The problem with Zippos is that if you don't use them regularly they tend to dry out and need refueling.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Has anyone ever used luminaries for table numbers?

Inside or outside? Indoor venues may have heartburn over paper things containing fire all over their venue.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Inside or outside? Indoor venues may have heartburn over paper things containing fire all over their venue.

I was gonna use the little battery operated tea lights. Either way the fiance found something simpler and nicer

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

OssiansFolly posted:

Thank you for your generous gift and for attending *insert event here*. We are happy that you could help share this special event with us.

This basically, something Mad Libs style. "Thank you for the [gift] you gave us! We really appreciate your thoughtfulness." You can even throw in a specific line about the item if you want, like, "Can't wait to buy some fancy towels at BB&B!" or whatever.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Should I grab a digital camera for the honeymoon or do you think iphone pics will be enough?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Should I grab a digital camera for the honeymoon or do you think iphone pics will be enough?

I plan on getting a nice DSLR prior to my honeymoon. But I want to be able to hang photos of everything when all is said and done.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We have a DSLR already, but lugging that around can be such a hassle. I don't really wanna lug it around in a completely different country. I was thinking like a cybershot or something with a bit better resolution, storage, and honestly it'll save cellphone battery life. Plus on the off chance we lose it I dont feel super bad.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

We have a DSLR already, but lugging that around can be such a hassle. I don't really wanna lug it around in a completely different country. I was thinking like a cybershot or something with a bit better resolution, storage, and honestly it'll save cellphone battery life. Plus on the off chance we lose it I dont feel super bad.

I guess that is true. My honeymoon is a European 5 countries in 15 days, so I want nice pictures of the tourist stuff because who knows when I will get to go back again. Remember if you are going and worried about losing or having your nice camera stolen MOST insurance companies will let you schedule a camera for coverage and it will be covered anywhere in the world.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh we have one week in ireland. Wish would could have got more time off but :shrug:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Oh we have one week in ireland. Wish would could have got more time off but :shrug:

Yea the fiancé had plans to tour a few places...my only requirement is that I get to spend St. Patrick's day next year in Dublin. After that it is all Harry Potter set, Eiffel Tower and the Coliseum.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

My main worry would be theft/loss and battery life. I bought a pretty good point and shoot from Best Buy a few months ago and it's great and I'll be bringing it on my honeymoon (my phone will come too, but only because we're going on a cruise and will have a port day in Orlando, so I can force someone to skype my kitty to me). It's great because it connects to my phone for easy transfer/editing/sharing, so I can post pictures without a computer go-between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ilysespieces posted:

My main worry would be theft/loss and battery life. I bought a pretty good point and shoot from Best Buy a few months ago and it's great and I'll be bringing it on my honeymoon (my phone will come too, but only because we're going on a cruise and will have a port day in Orlando, so I can force someone to skype my kitty to me). It's great because it connects to my phone for easy transfer/editing/sharing, so I can post pictures without a computer go-between.

What camera?