Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

EvilChameleon posted:

I played Le Havre tonight for the first time. It took a while to have it explained and for it to make sense, but after that it sailed along well. I did absolutely horribly (26 points I think?) and spent most of the game just trying to feed people because the food costs went up so fast. However, I really liked it and I feel like with some more plays I could really dig into it. We played the shortened version (which doesn't have special buildings) but I don't know how that changes it too much from normal other than it's a bit bumpier. I'm definitely going to play it again, but what's the replay like? Does it shift up a lot or is it mostly the same thing?

The longer version is quite a bit more interesting. You start with almost no resources so you can't just jump straight to building mid-game buildings, and the special buildings come from a big deck so you'll basically never see the same set twice. The order in which the buildings are available in the main building stacks can also impact the game and is semi-random.

Having said that, the strategic space is not that wide - your goals are likely to be more similar from game to game than they are in Agricola, Le Havre is less about what you do overall and more about how you do it better than your opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is Tammany Hall any good? It sounds cool but I'm not spending $98 unless I'm certain...

edit: because I live in Australia and I dislike how some people feel compelled to mention that in every post. So is it a decent game or what?

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 24, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Krazyface posted:

Is Tammany Hall any good? It sounds cool but I'm not spending $98 unless I'm certain...

why the hell are you spending $98 on it? http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/tammanyhall

e: :o: -- it is pretty good, what else are you looking at?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 24, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

EvilChameleon posted:

I also managed to teach Argent to my roommates while drinking and despite them not necessarily being adept at board games, they figured it out and we played the game. I thought the game might be a bit on the complex side for learning but it really is just about choices and managing everything going on at once.

I'm jealous of all you guys who can actually convince people to play Argent. Only game I could get was a two-player game at a convention (not from lack of trying to get more players), and I loved the hell out of it (though there's a lot of stuff that suggests it's much better with more players). I just have to convince other people to play the drat game.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I'm jealous of all you guys who can actually convince people to play Argent. Only game I could get was a two-player game at a convention (not from lack of trying to get more players), and I loved the hell out of it (though there's a lot of stuff that suggests it's much better with more players). I just have to convince other people to play the drat game.

Argent definitely hits a sweet spot at 3-4. Five feels like it takes a bit too long, but that could just be because people are still feeling the game out in my group. We do get a bit faster each play.

I have no goddamned idea how six players will work out when we finally add Technomancers in. I hope to not have to find out, my table probably couldn't take it.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Aston posted:

It begins with s and ends with pace alert

Gutter Owl posted:

As far as Sci-Fi games, you still can't do better than Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker.

I'd forgotten about Vlaada tbh. My friends and I are big players of co-operative video games (Warframe, Payday, etc) so Space Alert might be ideal. I don't have a Vlaada game yet either so all the more reason I guess.

Gutter Owl posted:

The base game for AGoT is strictly a six player game.

Chomp8645 posted:

Game of Thrones is very subpar at four players. It's so broken that house rules are mandatory to have a match that isn't a joke at that level. As someone who owns and enjoys the game with six players, I can say without reservation that you should not even consider purchasing it for a four person group. It's a six player only game. Five if you're really desperate and do the house rule.

I thought so, I remember AGoT being one of those often mentioned in the thread as being one that despite saying "3-6 Players" on the box actually needs a certain number. If I've got to house rule the hell out of it then I don't see much point getting it really.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zveroboy posted:

I'd forgotten about Vlaada tbh. My friends and I are big players of co-operative video games (Warframe, Payday, etc) so Space Alert might be ideal. I don't have a Vlaada game yet either so all the more reason I guess.

I thought so, I remember AGoT being one of those often mentioned in the thread as being one that despite saying "3-6 Players" on the box actually needs a certain number. If I've got to house rule the hell out of it then I don't see much point getting it really.

Space alert is great but as a warning people either love the game or hate it, there's not much middle ground.

Suboptimal player numbers in GoT gives certain factions huge advantages with territory they can take over without competition, so most of the house rules are about balancing that out a bit and/or shifting the starting houses.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I've played GoT 4 player with some house rules and it worked ok.

Use Stark, Baratheon, Tyrell and Martell, downgrade Riverrun to a regular Fort and make Pyke inaccessible.

Not the same backstabbiness as 6 player, though.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I know nobody cares, but Lichtenstein has just announced Reikland Invitational is coming up! I am so excited.

Just have to not die until May.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bubble-T posted:

The longer version is quite a bit more interesting. You start with almost no resources so you can't just jump straight to building mid-game buildings, and the special buildings come from a big deck so you'll basically never see the same set twice. The order in which the buildings are available in the main building stacks can also impact the game and is semi-random.

Having said that, the strategic space is not that wide - your goals are likely to be more similar from game to game than they are in Agricola, Le Havre is less about what you do overall and more about how you do it better than your opponents.

Thanks, this is just what I wanted to know/hear. I'm definitely going to play it more because a lot of friends really like it and have it, but I don't imagine I'll buy it for myself... unless a superb deal comes along, of course.

My roommate got jealous of my meagre collection and decided she wanted a real board game, too, and picked up a used copy of Vinhos from a friend of a friend. Anyone have any words about this game? It looks fun enough, but I don't know anything about it other than wine and Portugal.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
How does the combat in twilight imperium and eclipse compare?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zombie #246 posted:

How does the combat in twilight imperium and eclipse compare?

TI is D10s and you want to roll low, Eclipse is D6s and you want to roll high. Neither system is that great.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Further to that - combat in both is quite similar - random dice rolls, but both games have a strategic way to improve your odds:

TI3 - more expensive ships are more likely to hit. The biggest ships can soak damage. There are some technologies that improve the odds for some of the ships.
Eclipse - you are able to buy technologies and fit components to your ships that improve your odds of hitting or reduce the opponent's odds. Bigger ships can fit more components.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Neither system is that great.

To be fair, everything feels that way after Kemet.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Trasson posted:

This is the truest statement uttered in this thread.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

at least you have the game :v:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I knew my play group would love it, since it is actually a very good worker placement game, I would just have to work through the fact they would be turned off by the theme. So one of the game nights I just put it on the table while we were discussing what to play and just started setting up. A bit of a bold move on my part, but now they get angry when I forget to bring it, so it worked out. Hell I got 2 of our hardcore Agricola player's to turn down a game of Agricola to play it.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 24, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Trasson posted:

to be fair, kemet felt like they took the combat from game of thrones and made a stand alone game with it. it wasn't really innovative when it came out.

to be fair.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lord Frisk posted:

to be fair, kemet felt like they took the combat from game of thrones and made a stand alone game with it. it wasn't really innovative when it came out.

to be fair.

Diplomacy would like a word about what game took what other game's combat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lord Frisk posted:

to be fair.

It's also more streamlined than GoT's combat, removing character abilities to make combat resolve more quickly and requiring you to choose two cards to cycle through your deck faster.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Awhile back, I ranted about Machi Koro with the expansion still having some major flaws in it, but I found out we were playing it wrong. You can only buy one card a turn, whereas we were buying as many as we wanted. That meant usually buying as many as we could afford because nobody wanted to get nailed by red/purple cards. The game still has some arbitrariness to it, but now the red/purple cards have some meaning--at least later in the game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The End posted:

Further to that - combat in both is quite similar - random dice rolls, but both games have a strategic way to improve your odds:

TI3 - more expensive ships are more likely to hit. The biggest ships can soak damage. There are some technologies that improve the odds for some of the ships.
Eclipse - you are able to buy technologies and fit components to your ships that improve your odds of hitting or reduce the opponent's odds. Bigger ships can fit more components.

As an addendum, I haven't played much Eclipse, but Twilight Imperium has the interesting feature that early game combat is putrid while the endgame combat is merely mediocre to subpar. Early game combat takes a long time and is super swingy because units miss all the time(single carrier vs single carrier fights or small-scale infantry fights are the worst), but late game you're chucking enough dice that you're likely to hit a similar number of times to what you should be hitting, in my experience.

On the Argent note, game owns; I got it a week or two ago and have played 4 4player games and 2 2playergames since, and even though we've usually been playing with the basic setup(I keep introducing the game to new people), it's still been fun. I ordered Mancers and even Summer Break last night.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I've been going on a lot of camping trips lately and having Hive along has been great because I don't have to worry about playing it down in the dirt or having pieces get blown away by the wind. Are there any other good tile-only games or good ways to get custom tiles made? Additionally, what games would work well sitting around a campfire? I think the resistance or spyfall would, if you had someone acting as game master; any other ideas?

jivjov posted:

So just for fun, I bought myself a complete Badger Deck. Now that I'm in possession of a 10-suited deck of cards, each running from 0 to 20, with an Ace and 10 other face cards...what wacky games can I recreate/simulate?

The Resistance, Coup, Love Letter, Skull and Roses, Red7, Lost Legacy, and One Night Werewolf all work pretty easily, with varying amounts of player aids. You can do Hanabi by replacing 1's with "Beginnings" (F, H, or M), 2's with "Heirs" (J or P), 3's with "Royals" (Q or K), 4's with "Mages" (W or S), and the 5 with the Castle. Just lay out an extra suit, in a pyramid, as a player aid.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Additionally, what games would work well sitting around a campfire?
It barely qualifies as a game, but I've had good luck with telephone pictionary/Telestrations. Say Anything would probably work as well.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

admanb posted:

Diplomacy would like a word about what game took what other game's combat.

I'd argue it actually has less to do with diplomacy's combat. The support actions and all that, yeah, I'm there with you. But the actual combat in diplomacy is barely there. The card action in GoT is novel when compared to base diplomacy, cause dip's poo poo is just "who has a bigger number?" No card reveal, no modifiers, nothing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Additionally, what games would work well sitting around a campfire? I think the resistance or spyfall would, if you had someone acting as game master; any other ideas?

We managed to play a primitive form of D&D in the middle of Algonquin National Park. We had a few D6 and a pad of paper between us but no rule books or anything. People knew enough spell effects off the top of their head to play Wizards and mostly just did basic stat checks for everything that required a roll. Same idea as the resistance really all you need is a game master.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Goons are stalking me :ninja:

Also, played some 18XX, was fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pics of a game for elitist pricks:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Additionally, what games would work well sitting around a campfire? I think the resistance or spyfall would, if you had someone acting as game master; any other ideas?

I saw this game on Kickstarter which is an RPG where instead of setting off on heroic adventures your crew sit in a tavern telling stories of the adventures you've been on while the GM acts as the audience you need to convince of the truthfulness of your tale. You could, I guess, play something like this with not much more than a handful of dice or a dice app on someone's phone? Playing around a campfire would be thematically appropriate at least.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lmao, 2 Rooms and a Boom just sent out another email saying they're having printing issues

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Countblanc posted:

lmao, 2 Rooms and a Boom just sent out another email saying they're having printing issues

At this point they have to be loving with people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

At this point they have to be loving with people.

Surprise! You all actually received your copies 8 months ago.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

cyberia posted:

I saw this game on Kickstarter which is an RPG where instead of setting off on heroic adventures your crew sit in a tavern telling stories of the adventures you've been on while the GM acts as the audience you need to convince of the truthfulness of your tale. You could, I guess, play something like this with not much more than a handful of dice or a dice app on someone's phone? Playing around a campfire would be thematically appropriate at least.

I think at that point I'd rather just play the Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Adventure Time Munchkin cards are really nice-- excellent art and etc for the theme. I just have no desire to play the game for obvious reasons.

We should put our heads together and make up a new game using the existing cards for those poor souls who know folks that picked up the game on a whim at Target or such.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

We should put our heads together and make up a new game using the existing cards for those poor souls who know folks that picked up the game on a whim at Target or such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUmBqBXVIU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I am a jealous elitist prick.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Tekopo posted:

Nobody who owns dice chips gets to call themselves an elitist :colbert:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Not even poker chips can make a 1.8XX game look interesting. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the game if I played, but that's an ugly board.

How many players were there?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Supposed to be 4 of us but there were 3. Also, there are uglier looking 18XX than that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Supposed to be 4 of us but there were 3. Also, there are uglier looking 18XX than that one.

I was trying to make sense of the table setup, because the player on the left has three Monopoly property cards and I'm not sure whether there are 1 or two players on the right.

FAKE EDIT: Bah, whatever, I'm reading the rules. I was a huge fan of Railroad Tycoon 3 and I'm curious.

FAKE EDIT EDIT: Wikipedia lists 56 18XX and 18XX-like games. Help?