Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Firos posted:

Fair enough. I just remember when I logged in someone saying that they owned my mage now. Now they don't v:v:v

Edit: Also can someone give me access to the forums again tia.

That was probably Red messing around since he was farming on Firos. You should have proper access to the forums now. We had to lock them up a bit due to spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

War Effort update/announcement should be up today. I just checked again and it looks like it is definitely coming today. Get Hyped... this announcement will either revive or break ED.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nos has almost 7000 people logged in right now while ED is a ghost town

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Well a few hundred of those log into ED for raids and then go level on Nos since there's nothing to do right now. Once you can run AQ40 and then AQ20 2-3 times a week, I think the pop will spring back up a bit. On the bright side, ED is lag-free and doesn't crash every hour with a 1-2 minute rollback like on Nos. Ally is doing ok, horde is really hurting on ED. Took me 3 weeks for ZF group and eventually someone just ran me through lol. Ally has tons of things going on, non-stop LFG/LFG on World (though probably only a fraction of Nos). Either way, GET HYPEEE...

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

DrSeRRoD posted:

Well a few hundred of those log into ED for raids and then go level on Nos since there's nothing to do right now. Once you can run AQ40 and then AQ20 2-3 times a week, I think the pop will spring back up a bit. On the bright side, ED is lag-free and doesn't crash every hour with a 1-2 minute rollback like on Nos. Ally is doing ok, horde is really hurting on ED. Took me 3 weeks for ZF group and eventually someone just ran me through lol. Ally has tons of things going on, non-stop LFG/LFG on World (though probably only a fraction of Nos). Either way, GET HYPEEE...

Archangel's faction is exactly the same, only opposite.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Do I need to fill out a Complicated Raid Application to rejoin the guild? I figure I may as well pop in a bit and try to get my druid the last little bit to 60.

Melenia is my character's name, and TheShortestPath is my name on the guild site forums.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

No, just log in and PM someone to get you the name of an alficer for invite. Let me know your SA name so they can give you goon rank.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Shortest Path posted:

Do I need to fill out a Complicated Raid Application to rejoin the guild? I figure I may as well pop in a bit and try to get my druid the last little bit to 60.

Melenia is my character's name, and TheShortestPath is my name on the guild site forums.

We need your working hours, three methods of communication including home phone and cell, a detailed analysis of your past raiding experience, fifteen hundred word essay on why you'd work well in our raiding environment.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

"Feenix has dedicated themselves to keep the Emerald Dream server fully blizzlike, therefore same as on retail, struggling servers will receive help from the administration to complete somewhere around next week.
On the other hand, that does not mean any difference as the 10 hour battle will end in Feenix NPC victory, prepare for battle !"

AQ, or AQ auto-filling, in a week-ish!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Man what a weird fuckin essay that community update was.

Some of the more interesting stuff:

- Feenix are accusing Nost of stealing their codebase. However, Feenix are happy to give out their codebase, so it really doesn't matter, but they're not going to pursue charges against the person they say leaked it, because it doesn't matter, really. Also if you want their codebase you are going to have to prove that you are serious about setting up a server and they've only ever gotten 2 requests, but they're happy to give it away, they're not upset, can you believe the Nost guys are saying their server doesn't have bugs LOL
- We are glad population has tanked because now nobody is posting dick pics
- The population shift is temporary
- They are working hard on fixing Archangel bugs, there are a lot of bugs
- Hey we are starting a mists of pandaria server! "MoP is the vanilla experience reborn" (what?!???)
- We will let you spend vote points to speed up or delay Naxx release! Actually if you delay the release we will release it anyway.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

mewse posted:

Man what a weird fuckin essay

- Feenix are accusing Nost of stealing their codebase. However, Feenix are happy to give out their codebase, so it really doesn't matter, but they're not going to pursue charges against the person they say leaked it, because it doesn't matter, really. Also if you want their codebase you are going to have to prove that you are serious about setting up a server and they've only ever gotten 2 requests, but they're happy to give it away, they're not upset, can you believe the Nost guys are saying their server doesn't have bugs LOL

- We are glad population has tanked because now nobody is posting dick pics
- The population shift is temporary
- They are working hard on fixing Archangel bugs, there are a lot of bugs
- Hey we are starting a mists of pandaria server! "MoP is the vanilla experience reborn" (what?!???)
- We will let you spend vote points to speed up or delay Naxx release! Actually if you delay the release we will release it anyway.

I think the vote point thing is for other server, isn't it?

I can kind of sympathize with the sour grapes "we never wanted those unfaithful players anyway", but ehh whatever.

I hope this release of content will slowly start rebuilding the population back towards normal, but who knows.

mewse
May 2, 2006

lapse posted:

I think the vote point thing is for other server, isn't it?

Naw they specifically said it will be in place for ED:

quote:

A short explanation/example is: Upon AQ clear, players will be able to spend their vote points for the Lich king, funding the scourge invasion – once the summon is ready (a rough 200k votes) Emerald Dream community will start the naxxramas event streak.
This will also apply to stopping the progress if desired by players, admins on the other hand, will have influence on that in case players delay the release for years.

So.. you can blow your vote points on requesting they release content, which they should do anyway. Or you can blow your vote points on making them delay content, but if you're too successful they'll release it anyway.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hahahah what the gently caress.

I guess it's a good thing Nostalrius and Kronos are taking up the mantle of vanilla private servers :(

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I think it's more for like the gathering events. Use vote points towards them, but if people purposely hold back and delay it, then will move forward with release to avoid another War Effort running beyond its time.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Hahahah what the gently caress.

I guess it's a good thing Nostalrius and Kronos are taking up the mantle of vanilla private servers :(

Hahaha no

I like how less than 30 days ago, Nostalrius was still posting "don't worry about funding, we have a solid funding source that will last for years"

and now less than 30 days later they are asking for donations, :lol:

Feenix is kind of in defensive mode from losing players, so I can kind of understand odd statements / "exciting new changes" / etc.

lapse fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also they seemed to be repeatedly blaming ED players for holding back the war effort, instead of blaming themselves for making the numbers unreasonably large.

quote:

The long awaited War Effort has hit ED with a surprise, big words went into no actions and we ended up waiting even more! The outrage!

quote:

While holding on to the democratic approach, always discussing new releases with the community we have failed to recognize the toxic players involved (holding war effort materials).

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

lapse posted:

Hahaha no

I like how less than 30 days ago, Nostalrius was still posting "don't worry about funding, we have a solid funding source that will last for years"

and now less than 30 days later they are asking for donations, :lol:

Feenix is kind of in defensive mode from losing players, so I can kind of understand odd statements / "exciting new changes" / etc.

I don't know why you're defending them. They brought this all upon themselves from bad decisions/management. When was AQ supposed to be released?

Now that people have left you can see their damage control in full effect and they're trying to find a scapegoat rather than owning up to it. So yes. I'd agree that it's good we have Kronos and Nostalrius taking a bigger share in the private server market because feenix had it coming.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It seems like feenix is run by idiots. It seems like any server that's like "hey we're better than feenix" is going to be idiots too. It seems like private servers are run by idiots. I'm thankful that lgw existed on ED.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

SHISHKABOB posted:

It seems like private servers are run by idiots.

probably should get a thread title change to this

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

I don't know why you're defending them. They brought this all upon themselves from bad decisions/management. When was AQ supposed to be released?

Now that people have left you can see their damage control in full effect and they're trying to find a scapegoat rather than owning up to it. So yes. I'd agree that it's good we have Kronos and Nostalrius taking a bigger share in the private server market because feenix had it coming.

Their lack of timely content would have been a plausible reason to complain / jump ship about 10-12 months ago, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense now that they actually released stuff.

It just seems like a hollow reason at this point. The real reason most people left was bandwagon, not righteous indignation at feenix

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

lapse posted:

Their lack of timely content would have been a plausible reason to complain / jump ship about 10-12 months ago, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense now that they actually released stuff.

It just seems like a hollow reason at this point. The real reason most people left was bandwagon, not righteous indignation at feenix

But they haven't actually released anything yet.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

But they haven't actually released anything yet.

The entire war effort and scepter chain was released and worked pretty well in my opinion.

The only problem was the turn-in numbers being set too high.

I know people have pretty short memories but that was only released 60 days ago :lol:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

lapse posted:

The entire war effort and scepter chain was released and worked pretty well in my opinion.

The only problem was the turn-in numbers being set too high.

I know people have pretty short memories but that was only released 60 days ago :lol:

I wouldn't call those "content" released.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
AQ opening event was pretty dumb they should have just opened up the gates right away. Hell there were servers on live where AQ stayed closed well into the first expansion.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

I wouldn't call those "content" released.

:agreed:

I stopped playing around a year ago, probably a bit less. I haven't heard any news from ED in that time, and the top raid is still ZG right, which was not new when I left. No new actual content* in like, a year or more, that's Not Good. Hell, even hardcore raiders would get tired of it, at some point you just plateau in terms of gear, and it's not like WoW had much to do besides that.

* Yeah, the questline and War Effort are cute and all that, but if AQ is ready, just release it, or at least lower the numbers so that it's feasible. The whole "we'll do war effort then you can push or delay Naxx" sounds like bullshit to me for no reason, and it's not like they don't have other stuff they could be working on (T0.5 upgrades, bugfixing, or even cosmetic poo poo).

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Pookum posted:

AQ opening event was pretty dumb they should have just opened up the gates right away. Hell there were servers on live where AQ stayed closed well into the first expansion.

I like the AQ opening event :(

Just don't like farming the bugs more than one time......

Serperoth posted:

if AQ is ready, just release it, or at least lower the numbers so that it's feasible. The whole "we'll do war effort then you can push or delay Naxx" sounds like bullshit to me for no reason, and it's not like they don't have other stuff they could be working on (T0.5 upgrades, bugfixing, or even cosmetic poo poo).

AQ and Naxx are both already working on their other servers, so it's not like it isn't scripted or anything like that.

Whatever, this is kind of a pointless argument. All the people I'm talking to right now either (a) quit a long time ago, or (b) are hurfdurf

To be perfectly honest I have been equally frustrated with feenix in the past, but we all stuck it out. Lately though (past 2-3 months) there are finally signs of activity, and I just think it would be a shame to give up all the work we put in over the past 18 months or whatever. That's why I kind of find myself defending them. However lovely their communication is at times, they have a pretty stable, long-lived server, that we've played on 100% free, and has rarely been offline in the past 3 years. That's actually pretty impressive in the private server world.

I'd rather the "exodus" not become a self fulfilling prophecy. I'd prefer if it's a hiccup while new servers are released and shiny new toys for awhile. Who knows what will actually happen.

lapse fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 24, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

lapse posted:

AQ and Naxx are both already working on their other servers, so it's not like it isn't scripted or anything like that.

Whatever, this is kind of a pointless argument. All the people I'm talking to right now either (a) quit a long time ago, or (b) are hurfdurf

To be perfectly honest I have been equally frustrated with feenix in the past, but we all stuck it out. Lately though (past 2-3 months) there are finally signs of activity, and I just think it would be a shame to give up all the work we put in over the past 18 months or whatever. That's why I kind of find myself defending them. However lovely their communication is at times, they have a pretty stable, long-lived server, that we've played on 100% free, and has rarely been offline in the past 3 years. That's actually pretty impressive in the private server world.

I'd rather the "exodus" not become a self fulfilling prophecy. I'd prefer if it's a hiccup while new servers are released and shiny new toys for awhile. Who knows what will actually happen.

Oh yeah I'm not being smug about "uhuh a large released MMO like FFXIV has more content than a free private WoW server", just explaining why I quit and why I'm feeling "eh" about coming back. My friend has mentioned Nostalrius, but beyond the novelty of levelling Horde or something, I know I wouldn't stick around, especially since I don't think the LGW equivalent there is as thriving as this one.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I actually started out on ED recently, just because Nostalrius was borderline unplayable at the time due to the huge amount of people there. Not to mention that it also appears to be full of total wankers.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

landofcake posted:

I actually started out on ED recently, just because Nostalrius was borderline unplayable at the time due to the huge amount of people there. Not to mention that it also appears to be full of total wankers.

I have actually noticed a larger amount of people leveling up on ED lately, compared to a few months ago.

Probably people who did exactly what you did.

We are hoping for a population upswing back to good numbers once people realize they don't want to run MC and BWL for 6 months again to get the same gear they already got here.

(also none of this stuff has affected our raids.... people still come online for that.... we still haven't missed one other than ZG, gently caress ZG)

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I don't mind too much the same content knowing that new things are on the horizon. If we can't do new things, we've been doing old things faster and better (most of the time) and constantly striving to set speed records. Where MC/BWL would take 3+ hours each, we can now do them in just over an hour a piece. I think that is part of the fun and it will be even crazier when we start getting AQ, and then Naxx, gears. We still have items needed from current content too, Bindings, Onslaught Girdles, Loks, DFTs, Shield, etc. so it's exciting when we get someone a nice upgrade they've been waiting on. Seeing lgw blast from 5-6 people online to over 40 in the course of an hour before a raid is pretty awesome too. Those couple of hours are fun and exciting and I couldn't care if we were doing Hogger runs or ANOTHER MC, it's a fun time for all.

AQ HYPE!!!

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

DrSeRRoD posted:

I don't mind too much the same content knowing that new things are on the horizon. If we can't do new things, we've been doing old things faster and better (most of the time) and constantly striving to set speed records. Where MC/BWL would take 3+ hours each, we can now do them in just over an hour a piece. I think that is part of the fun and it will be even crazier when we start getting AQ, and then Naxx, gears. We still have items needed from current content too, Bindings, Onslaught Girdles, Loks, DFTs, Shield, etc. so it's exciting when we get someone a nice upgrade they've been waiting on. Seeing lgw blast from 5-6 people online to over 40 in the course of an hour before a raid is pretty awesome too. Those couple of hours are fun and exciting and I couldn't care if we were doing Hogger runs or ANOTHER MC, it's a fun time for all.

AQ HYPE!!!

We need some type of Batphone system for world bosses, Gnomak. That's the only thing we've lagged on (even though it's gotten better lately)

I'll bet if we had something decent to alert people who are online playing other games (and un-obtrusive... no alarm clock poo poo), we could have consistently 20-25 people online for world bosses when they spawn at decent hours.

Tsargon the Great
Jun 4, 2005

~=~ NuMBa 1 PoSta~=~
CuTiE

lapse posted:

We need some type of Batphone system for world bosses, Gnomak. That's the only thing we've lagged on (even though it's gotten better lately)

I'll bet if we had something decent to alert people who are online playing other games (and un-obtrusive... no alarm clock poo poo), we could have consistently 20-25 people online for world bosses when they spawn at decent hours.

It was mentioned earlier but I think a steam group would work well for this, I would certainly log in and help (if available) if I saw a steam announcement about it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Do a steam group.

Also lol elemwntium bulwark

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

lapse posted:

gently caress ZG

mewse
May 2, 2006

Steam group seems like a great idea.

Despite my earlier posts, I am pretty ambivalent in the ED vs Nos dispute. What irritates me the most about these private servers is that they don't contribute code back to the mangos project. Both servers are based on mangos zero but ED has been on its in-house branch for so long that they seem incapable of merging changes back. The thing about loot on rare spawns is a good example - couldn't they just copy/paste the database rows from mangos zero to fix that? But every stupid private server runs their own stupid codebase that diverges from trunk and never contributes back to the community.

It also irritates me how Feenix/ED is responding publicly. I'd rather have them completely ignore Nos than their transparent attempts at damage control. Their politics are weak.

Also I love raiding on ED but their codebase is a huge buggy pile of poo poo. You can even see it in how other players move around - they glitch several times per second, the server code isn't sending the position updates properly to the client. That's fixed on Nos despite the lag and one crash per hour or whatever.

I think the ED population will come back for AQ, and I really hope so because it's been impossible to get groups on my fresh 60 warrior.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It seems like the talent reset cost is bugged. Haven't logged on my druid in nearly a year and the respec cost is 10g instead of whatever it's supposed to go down to. It's kind of disappointing because the spec she's in is horribly mangled and I have no idea what drugs I was on when I played her last.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

It seems like the talent reset cost is bugged. Haven't logged on my druid in nearly a year and the respec cost is 10g instead of whatever it's supposed to go down to. It's kind of disappointing because the spec she's in is horribly mangled and I have no idea what drugs I was on when I played her last.

iirc 10g is the lowest it goes after youve done 2-3 respecs

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's never going down to 1g.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ah, that makes sense then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

War Effort hits 100% next THIS weekend!

They are NOT doing a 5-day waiting period. When they change it to 100%, the gong can be gonged and the 10-hour war begins!

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread