Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I think the Nightly Show will eventually fulfill this to some degree, although it's really too short (and I hope the painfully forced "keep it 100" gimmick dies a quick death).

I watched the first few weeks of TNS, but I really don't think Wilmore has the chops for a show like this. He seems woefully uninformed. It's either that, or he knows it when someone is spouting bullshit and doesn't want to tell people off.

I think the latter possibilty annoys me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It seems like every presidential candidate has used marijuana now.

Those Oscar bags sure are expensive.

richardfun posted:

I haven't watched this show in three weeks now. I keep meaning to, but then I read the comments in here after a new episode...

Bill always had lovely opinions on certain subjects, but he really seems to have gone off the deep end. I think I'm done.

He didn't have a impromptu rant on flu vaccinations this week so it was an improvement.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

richardfun posted:

I watched the first few weeks of TNS, but I really don't think Wilmore has the chops for a show like this. He seems woefully uninformed. It's either that, or he knows it when someone is spouting bullshit and doesn't want to tell people off.

I think the latter possibilty annoys me more.

He clearly hasn't found his footing yet and he's maybe a little oversensitive, but I'm hopeful. If he was just some random comedian without the Daily Show background I'd probably give up on him.

Zogo posted:

It seems like every presidential candidate has used marijuana now.

Just in the general population, how many people between 45 and 70 haven't used marijuana at this point? It's got to be just devout Mormons and guys who grew up dreaming of going into the FBI/CIA.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I've reverted back to my pre-HBO Real Time viewing habits lately: watching the odd clip or two posted on Mediaite or Crooks and Liars, and turning it off immediately if it starts to veer into head bashingly stupid territory.

I'm done watching this show live any more.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Just in the general population, how many people between 45 and 70 haven't used marijuana at this point? It's got to be just devout Mormons and guys who grew up dreaming of going into the FBI/CIA.

It has to be a big group of people. I just wonder when it won't be stigmatized.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Another excellent episode. It's a shame he's off for a week, I can't wait for more!

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I can't even tell when this forum is sarcastic anymore

Belome
Jan 1, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What's worse, his legendary status as a super-stoner means - depending on how often he smokes - he's potentially affecting his own immune system, making him more likely to catch opportunistic pathogens. I'm not against weed, but there are a lot of facets to the story he's choosing to ignore because they harsh his buzz.

Bill never gets sick because he eats a healthy, natural diet that makes his body an unsuitable place for diseases to survive in. Weed isn't bad for you because alcohol is bad for you.

He's always had these beliefs, it's not something that he will change his mind on.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Really wish they'd just ban anyone connected to Heritage from the show----nothing to count on for good faith discussions. Episode was fairly subdued, with what energy the show had seemingly spent on the Scientology doc in the opening interview and Taibbi being oddly quiet save for a bit in OT.

But hey, VICE is now apparently a 45 minute thing! They still need to bring back the Morning After segments with Maher though...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I hope they have more jokes about Bill O'Reilly's tall tales in the coming weeks.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
Haha, holy poo poo. Netanyahu's battle cry of "The Arabs are voting!" is cool because we rounded up Japanese Americans during WW2 and put them in camps. You gotta do what you gotta do to protect yourself from savages! Jesus gently caress, Maher doesn't care to hide his New Atheist bigotry.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

gently caress this panel.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It only got worse in OT to boot and next week marks the return of S.E. Cupp. Where in the primordial muck did he find the abysmal Republican Strategist lady with the weird Cuban thing and maximum feigned indignation?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The only thing I could focus on all episode was that weird cartoon-y laugh.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Watched some clips from the latest show on youtubes and seemed like Maher really invited some morons. Are there any Republicans with any nuance and self-awareness around?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Emetic Hustler posted:

Watched some clips from the latest show on youtubes and seemed like Maher really invited some morons. Are there any Republicans with any nuance and self-awareness around?

Michael Steele and David Frum come to mind.

Mind you, I'm not a fan of either man, but they are not the kind of 'foaming at the mouth' conservative that seems to be the norm these days.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

From what I've seen and heard of them, they also seem prone to fall back on some tired talking points. The whole political discourse in the US seems very polarized, but screaming talking points makes for good TV, I guess.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Seems like it makes for ratings at the very least. That panel was loving awful, republican screaming woman was the worst but the dude who trying win an argument by shouting what about tangentially related topics was the worst moment. A real collection of dipshits this week but at least he wasn't deep throating sean penn again.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

So in his 8 years in Congress, Jack Kingston apparently didn't manage to educate himself on the difference between Shia and Sunni muslims.

He said about Iran: "They are stirring up all kinds of front groups...the attack on the mosque in Yemen..."

The attacks in Yemen (plural, Jackie boy, two mosques were hit, not one) were claimed by Islamic State (it's still up in the air whether or not they actually had anything to do with it), but it seems all but certain it was aimed at the Shia Huthi rebels, who control the two mosques that were hit (and also large parts of the country, including the capital Sanaa). From that, it would logically follow that the attacks are the work of Sunni extremists. Iran is Shia and is assumed to be supporting the Huthi's, so the idea of them or one of their 'front groups' attacking those two mosques is beyond ludicrous.

For christ's sake, how do so many politicians manage to stumble through life without ever once tripping over a clue?

Oh, and Bill's answer to this assertion by Kingston? "Sure..." (alas, not in a sarcastic way).

Christ, I'm only halfway through the episode. Couldn't let this one slide though without raging about it a bit on the internet.

Also, the woman from the administration of Bush the Lesser is getting on my last nerve.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here's how I know this panel was garbage: Mediaite, which usually posts like two or three clips from the panel each week, posted stuff from New Rules instead.

Its a testament to how terrible the discussion on this show has gotten that a website that still fellates whatever drool dribbles of capricious stupid and crazy that tumble out of Glenn Beck's mouth from his dingey corner of hasbeen obscurity will not promote anything from the actual intellectual discussion part of your show.

Seriously, Mediaite is a lovely website and I should stop visiting it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

richardfun posted:

So in his 8 years in Congress, Jack Kingston apparently didn't manage to educate himself on the difference between Shia and Sunni muslims.

He's on the appropriations committee; foreign policy is not his forte.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

He's on the appropriations committee; foreign policy is not his forte.

That doesn't matter. Any politician who decides to run their mouth off about the middle east should at the very least know that.

Also, he is not in Congress anymore.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Since we don't have anywhere else to talk about VICE, can we at least talk about those loving 'patriot' gun nuts here? Jesus Christ. Cliven Bundy and every motherfucker who flocked to him should've been executed by drone strike. I had no idea so many cop murders could be traced back to that gathering.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Emetic Hustler posted:

They would have zero to gain by going on a show hosted by Bill Maher.

Mostly Lurking posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Netanyahu's battle cry of "The Arabs are voting!" is cool because we rounded up Japanese Americans during WW2 and put them in camps. You gotta do what you gotta do to protect yourself from savages! Jesus gently caress, Maher doesn't care to hide his New Atheist bigotry.

He has odd viewpoints like that. Back when it came out that the Obama administration was spying on just about the entire planet with the help of Verizon and other large corporations Maher said something like "Well, we liberated Europe during WWII so we have the right to listen to Angela Merkel's phone calls!"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Since we don't have anywhere else to talk about VICE, can we at least talk about those loving 'patriot' gun nuts here? Jesus Christ. Cliven Bundy and every motherfucker who flocked to him should've been executed by drone strike. I had no idea so many cop murders could be traced back to that gathering.

Yep, that was crazy aplenty next to the wreck on fishing tied to the blasted shark fin industry---though I was surprised both on the show and Debrief that VICE neglected to mention, IIRC, that central to the whole "feds backing down" bit was the Tiny Footnote that the Cliven folks reckoned on some women/children human "shield" action...

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I find this show is a lot better when you skip the portions with guests. Ironically, just watching the parts with only Bill Maher gives you less real Bill Maher: his interactions with guests are presumably off-the-cuff or at least prepared by him, but the monologue, bits, and New Rules are presumably what's written by the staff of writers (and while he's part of it I'm sure, he's only one of many there). I'm not totally opposed to watching a part with a guest, but I think it will have to be an interesting name that gets my attention; I don't want to go back to automatically watching the whole show like I used to.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I haven't watched this show in at least a year and a half, perhaps more. I used to watch it regularly. As a pretty logical liberal-leaning person, you could probably guess why. I still pay attention to this thread for shits and it doesn't surprise me that he's been digging deeper in regards to vaccinations. It seems finding shows that cover debatable topics where logic triumphs emotion is harder to find on TV, though to be honest, I'm not really surprised.
I have to agree that from my memories of show, I enjoyed the parts where he was reading the teleprompter the most; the writers never went too far illogically in regards to whatever topic was covered imo. Looks like he hasn't really changed since I last watched, and I'm not surprised in the slightest. The last thing one should expect from a millionaire comedian is logic and reasoning.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, I loved the maneuvers exercises taking place in a wide open field, and none of the 'former military personnel' ever seem too forthright in saying *exactly* what they did. I do feel VICE missed out a bit on not expanding on what's been known for a very long time - that hate groups and radicalized militias have been using the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as real-world urban warfare exercises, letting Uncle Sam train the people who want his throat cut.

"Okay, we're gonna advance 500 meters east to investigate a...aww...the 'wargame commander' app on my phone says we just got spotted by a drone and vaporized by a Hellfire. Damned fed'ruls not playin' fair!"

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
VICE needs to be 60 min long like a Gonzo version of Frontline.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Gimp Fack posted:

I haven't watched this show in at least a year and a half, perhaps more. I used to watch it regularly. As a pretty logical liberal-leaning person, you could probably guess why. I still pay attention to this thread for shits and it doesn't surprise me that he's been digging deeper in regards to vaccinations. It seems finding shows that cover debatable topics where logic triumphs emotion is harder to find on TV, though to be honest, I'm not really surprised.
I have to agree that from my memories of show, I enjoyed the parts where he was reading the teleprompter the most; the writers never went too far illogically in regards to whatever topic was covered imo. Looks like he hasn't really changed since I last watched, and I'm not surprised in the slightest. The last thing one should expect from a millionaire comedian is logic and reasoning.

Dang are you a vulcan irl or do you just really like saying the word logical?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

adebisi lives posted:

Dang are you a vulcan irl or do you just really like saying the word logical?

Logician > vulcan.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Okay, we're gonna advance 500 meters east to investigate a...aww...the 'wargame commander' app on my phone says we just got spotted by a drone and vaporized by a Hellfire. Damned fed'ruls not playin' fair!"

:lol:

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Been following Maher since Politically Incorrect was on Comedy Central, followed by ABC. Maher does what his bosses tell him to. He called himself a libertarian in the 90's and pushed for Bob Dole in 1996. Then he stumped for Ralph Nader in 2000, then got on his knees with Michael Moore in 2004 begging him not to run. He said he wasn't getting fired from ABC after announcing his leaving, which he later admitted was bullshit since he made the comment about terrorists not being cowards. He would invite Oliver Stone, tell him that JFK was a great movie and even mentioned the conspiracy in one of his standups. Then he'll turn around and say ALL conspiracy theorists are nuts no matter what (what about conspiracies like Pentagon Papers, Watergate or Iran-Contra; they all aren't about Illuminati Alex Jones/David Icke bullshit).

I just can't keep track anymore. Lately he is on this anti-pc kick asking everyone from Sean Penn to John Cleese to Mel Brooks (who are not pc but actually funny) about why people don't laugh at his lovely jokes. I especially hate when he tells the audience to gently caress off because his joke bombed or people groan. Then I wondered if he might have gone to far with one of his biggest allies.

For example: asking Neil DeGrasse Tyson about the word "resonate". I take it for granted that the average person knows the definition: even church goers will tell you that a preacher's sermon "resonated' with them. Maher played dumb when Tyson used the word, and Tyson explained that 'resonate' is a physics word. Maher replies: "sounds like an Amos and Andy word!" and I could tell that pissed off Tyson since the joke didn't make any sense other than for shock value. I haven't seen Tyson on the show since promoting Cosmos. If Bill loses a friend like Tyson (Nye didn't look happy to be there either), its going to hit him hard. He needs more Nyes and Tysons and fewer Richard Dawkins.

And lets not forget his feud with Stewart/Colbert since that Rally To Restore Sanity. Everytime someone mentions the Daily Show on Realtime, he makes a snarky comment about how he gets bigger ratings. When Jon Oliver got his show, Bill made no mention of him coming from the Daily Show. The Daily Show crew also aren't on the same page re religion since they hire Muslim correspondents and seem to respect people more.

More and more I find myself only enjoying the final New Rule.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I tried to watch Bill today after a few months without HBO.... yikes. I'm glad this thread is seeing the same things.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Maher's little slapfight with Zakaria was interesting. I almost wonder at this point if Bill has cancer and he's trying to suicide by fatwa.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maher's little slapfight with Zakaria was interesting. I almost wonder at this point if Bill has cancer and he's trying to suicide by fatwa.

The chorus of groans from the audience when he turned to Fareed was highly telling. (Again, just watched the clip of it online, I'm done physically watching entire episodes of Real Time). Even his studio audience is done with Bill's worn out, ignorant bullshit about Islam at this point.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nah, just making sure to push a narrative about religion and current climate in certain Islamic states fits this quite nicely. He has a 7 year old movie to sell, and by Atheist God, he'll sell it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If only Zakaria hadn't seen fit to go on an astounding amount of trouble to carry water for Fracking as part of a blanket Anti-Carbon/Coal tangent----I mean, congrats on your fantasy fracking league where they regulate with exuberant enthusiasm and decry cutting corners to chase craven profits and that shifts the relative power balance from coal, not that there isn't exactly a real spread in the fossil fuel industry, but I'm pretty sure Water Troubles are at least on par with Carbon Woes alongside the original point of the topic being the earthquakes.

Yes, Solar only has a small fraction of heft at the moment same as all the others not joined at the lobbying/marketing/military industrial/etc hip and a legion of bought out scientists and science experts funneling in the research and operational dollars---that's a hell of a mystery of an efficacy gap there Fareed.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
What was wrong with what Bill said about Islam in that first discussion? I legitimately don't understand the complaints towards his stance against Islam.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He thinks that the problems in the middle east are something inherent to Islam and not everything else wrong there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

comes along bort posted:

He thinks that the problems in the middle east are something inherent to Islam and not everything else wrong there.

It's both.

If your infallible book says to do something, you should probably be doing it. If people who take those books as truths don't practice to the letter, they're double wrong. They're wrong for thinking a book is correct, and wrong because they don't listen to the book.

Sure some of the specifics of punishments for certain things are in different texts, but the meat is in the infallible. The same is true for Judaism and Christianity. If you're going to align yourself with those sects, but pretend to be moderate, what's the point? If anything, I respect the radically religious more for their belief than the moderate, because they take it to the extent of what they pretend is there. (I obviously respect the moderate people more for their discretion in not killing people, but not for their belief)

Denying that the books are major parts of the problem is protective nonsense. It's a shame they cut Bill off before he could finish his social club analogy, because it's completely accurate. Assume there was a country club with the same guidelines as Islam. Would we go after the problem at the knees, or would we hit them with pillows until they change their mind?