Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
You do good work Charlie, you do good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The giant Hitchcock blu-ray set is down to $99 is you haven't bought the cheaper one or imported a copy.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

morestuff posted:

The giant Hitchcock blu-ray set is down to $99 is you haven't bought the cheaper one or imported a copy.

Better to import the region free UK set it's about 50/55 USD on Amazon uk shipped but it's missing North by Northwest.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

The Decline of Western Civilization trilogy is apparently coming to blu-ray in June

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spirited Away and The Cat Returns are up for pre-order on Amazon. No release date yet, but Blu-Ray.com says it will be later this year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zardoz bluray pre-order is now up. I have no idea if this is going to sell out or not, but I snatched one up when the sale went live just in case!

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28834/ZARDOZ-1974-STRICT-LIMIT-OF-3-PER-CUSTOMER/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Egbert Souse posted:

Spirited Away and The Cat Returns are up for pre-order on Amazon. No release date yet, but Blu-Ray.com says it will be later this year.

Are these the last two Ghibli, then, besides Marnie whenever it gets released?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Sirotan posted:

Zardoz bluray pre-order is now up. I have no idea if this is going to sell out or not, but I snatched one up when the sale went live just in case!

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28834/ZARDOZ-1974-STRICT-LIMIT-OF-3-PER-CUSTOMER/

The Zardoz run was upped from 3000 to 5000, possibly indicating it got more interest than expected.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sirotan posted:

I got Richard the 3rd.

El Duodenum
Dec 27, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Are these the last two Ghibli, then, besides Marnie whenever it gets released?

Only Yesterday is another one...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

El Duodenum posted:

Only Yesterday is another one...

I think my neighbors the yamadas might be another?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Does anyone have recommendations of essential region-free/English subtitled imports (non-US)?

So far I have:

-French Phantom of the Paradise (this was before it came out here)
-French Une Femme Mariée
-French La Chinoise
-British Forbidden Zone
-German Ghost World

I'm told Punishment Park (which I've yet to see) & the Kenneth Anger shorts are worth picking up.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Rusty Staub posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of essential region-free/English subtitled imports (non-US)?

So far I have:

-French Phantom of the Paradise (this was before it came out here)
-French Une Femme Mariée
-French La Chinoise
-British Forbidden Zone
-German Ghost World

I'm told Punishment Park (which I've yet to see) & the Kenneth Anger shorts are worth picking up.

Um there are hundreds, if not thousands... I wouldn't even know where to start.

Just addressing the list you've posted above, Phantom of the Paradise is out in the US now, Une Femme Mariee has an excellent British BD release from Masters of Cinema that I would recommend over the French version, and Forbidden Zone is announced for release in the US but is from an unknown (to me at least) studio so the quality might be questionable.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Was it mentioned Aladdin got a stateside release date for Oct? 2015 is the year for my blu ray wish list. First Munich now this, I'm predicting abyss by Christmas.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Kingtheninja posted:

Was it mentioned Aladdin got a stateside release date for Oct? 2015 is the year for my blu ray wish list. First Munich now this, I'm predicting abyss by Christmas.

The Abyss will be out on blu-ray the same day as Kill Bill: the Whole Bloody Affair and the X-Files season one.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Sirotan posted:

Yes, I need this.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

The Abyss will be out on blu-ray the same day as Kill Bill: the Whole Bloody Affair and the X-Files season one.

Only in a double pack with True Lies.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In that same note I am still surprised Disney's Hercules got a blu-ray release. I don't think it ever got another DVD release since the original Gold release about a year or two after the movie was originally released.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

CPL593H posted:

How will it be framed, though? The Abyss IIRC was famously shot at 4:3 or something, because Jim Cameron.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

X-Files season one.

I mean, they just rebooted the show again, so if there's any time to milk that cow, it's within the next year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

How will it be framed, though? The Abyss IIRC was famously shot at 4:3 or something, because Jim Cameron.

I think The Abyss, like most of Cameron's other films, was shot on Super 35, which always results in some weird cropping issues, because its native AR is something like 1.66:1.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I wouldn't get your hopes up about The Abyss or True Lies anytime soon. From The Digital Bits:

quote:

On that note, lot of you have asked what’s going on with the Blu-ray release of Cameron’s The Abyss and True Lies, and the Cameron-produced Strange Days, here in the States. The answer seems to be that it’s complicated. There appears to be a dispute or pissing match of some kind going on between Cameron and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Cameron points the finger squarely at TCFHE, and for their part TCFHE says nothing. But our information would suggest that there are larger issues at play here than just these titles. All of which is terribly frustrating for fans who know that work has been done on these discs and who are eagerly awaiting them, but there it is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

I think The Abyss, like most of Cameron's other films, was shot on Super 35, which always results in some weird cropping issues, because its native AR is something like 1.66:1.

Super-35 is exactly like pre-sound silent film, 1.33:1, except that the photography is composed in such a way that it's ready to be matted to 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. In the 2000s, some cameras were modified to shoot 3-perf, which is the same width, but 75% of the height to create a native 1.85:1 area.

The Artist was shot in Super-35 (or rather full aperture) except without being composed for widescreen matting. By design, The Artist was shot with a higher resolution image area than The Lord of the Rings.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, they just rebooted the show again, so if there's any time to milk that cow, it's within the next year.

Fox has basically said "gently caress it" to any further blu-rays of their television properties, so I'm not holding my breath.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I cannot loving wait for The Whole Blood affair. gently caress that black and white switchover during the House of Blue Leaves fight. I want to bathe in red blood.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yaws posted:

I cannot loving wait for The Whole Blood affair. gently caress that black and white switchover during the House of Blue Leaves fight. I want to bathe in red blood.

I believe that is scheduled for release the same week as the original cuts of Star Wars on blu-ray and the Criterion Collection edition of Freddy Got Fingered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I believe that is scheduled for release the same week as the original cuts of Star Wars on blu-ray and the Criterion Collection edition of Freddy Got Fingered.

That was the original date, but now it's with the Criterion laserdisc of the Day the Clown Cried.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3aFv8IQb4s

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

frumpykvetchbot posted:

He shot for 2.35:1, and most likely protected for full screen (that was the case for T2 atleast). That's not weird, but a director thinking ahead. Whether the effects, especially the CGI, was protected I don't know, I highly doubt it though.

It's not like Super 35 is some super arcane format to use.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney is releasing Swiss Family Robinson and Return to Oz as Disney Movie Club exclusives. They've also released Pollyanna, Old Yeller, and The Love Bug this way. It looks like these exclusives are still high quality remasters, but no sign of being released outside the club.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney is releasing Swiss Family Robinson and Return to Oz as Disney Movie Club exclusives. They've also released Pollyanna, Old Yeller, and The Love Bug this way. It looks like these exclusives are still high quality remasters, but no sign of being released outside the club.

Holy crap, are you serious? I'd never heard about any of these and I'd die to own them all. What the hell?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Swiss Family is on Netflix in HD. It looks great.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Sorry Mickey Mouse tea towels, looks like I'm cashing in on Return to Oz.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vinegar Syndrome's Etiquette Pictures will be releasing newly restored Blu-Rays of Melvin van Peebles' Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song, Don't Play Us Cheap and Story of a 3-Day Pass; Rudy Ray Moore's Dolemite; and Ralph Bakshi's Coonskin. All from the original negatives.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16436

Also, Kino Lorber is now licensing from CBS, mainly the Cinema Center Films/National General library.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Vinegar Syndrome's Etiquette Pictures will be releasing newly restored Blu-Rays of Melvin van Peebles' Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song, Don't Play Us Cheap and Story of a 3-Day Pass; Rudy Ray Moore's Dolemite; and Ralph Bakshi's Coonskin. All from the original negatives.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16436

gently caress yeah! I wonder how much of an improvement Coonskin will be over the current import Blu-Ray that's already out. Vinegar Syndrome does some amazing work.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I hope they do Human Tornado/Petey Wheatstraw/Disco Godfather, too...

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CPL593H posted:

you son of a bitch

Freddy Got Fingered totally deserves a Criterion release btw

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

As part of the deal with George, Disney gets the Star Wars distribution rights in 2020, except for A New Hope, for which FOX owns distribution rights in perpetuity. However Disney has things to bargain with, such as rights to certain Marvel characters FOX has been using, and cash money. So I remain hopeful for a 45th anniversary release in 2022.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yaws posted:

you son of a bitch

Freddy Got Fingered totally deserves a Criterion release btw

Oh I agree, but there's no way in hell that would ever happen. I actually own a signed copy of the DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Yaws posted:

I still have a asian bootleg of Kill Bill that keeps the scene in colour, and adds one or two more moments more at the end. I still can't bring myself to part with it even though I've ditched most of my DVDs.

• Locked thread