Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

and this is apparnetly exciting
impressive rules breaking though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Awia posted:

and this is apparnetly exciting
impressive rules breaking though

its not really exciting so much as impressive, yeah

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

its not really exciting so much as impressive, yeah

maintenance is in 9 hours, that means this turn will only 35 hours long! not a record anymore

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jim Sterling, one of the most savage game critics around, gave Bloodborne a 10/10. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him give something a perfect score.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Anime Curator posted:

Jim Sterling, one of the most savage game critics around, gave Bloodborne a 10/10. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him give something a perfect score.

im watching a stream right now and it looks really good. wishin' i had a ps4

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anime Curator posted:

ughhhh, stuck at work, picked my copy up at lunch

dlc codes on receipts now, i guess they dont do inserts cause idiots were stealing?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Liver Disaster posted:

lol if you ever get sick, 5 years only taking sick days to handle family emergencies
miiiight take a vacation day for the heavensward early access but by then ill be capped on vacation anyway

lol if you won't take a sick day just to go try a new coffee place. you'll probably be more productive over the long term too. free time isn't a resource you can save

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!

ive done it.. th perfect race car

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hello fellow hearthstoners,
I just wanted to say goodbye to a game, which was most likely my most played game throughout my entire life. Unfortunately, in a few days, I certainly won't be able to play this game anymore.

My cancer has grown too strong and in a few days I will go to the hospital and it's not very likely that I will ever come back from it. I'm aware of that now for a good amount of time and made my peace with it. I was never a person who spoke openly about those things with a lot of people, but with hearthstone (and the anonymity of the internet) it is somehow different. I hope some people will bear with me and read why and my experiences with hearthstone - and maybe your experience are similiar to mine :)

It's been now more than 1,5 years, since I started to spent my time with hearthstone. I only stumbled upon hearthstone through totalbiscuit. He uploaded a "WTF is...?" in mid August '13 and started his Lord of the Arena series after that. I was hooked from the very first second and watched every episode after that.

I can safely say, that without TB, I would most likely not be playing hearthstone today, since I was never a PC guy who followed PC-Gaming news (i just watched and subscribed to TB because he is freaking entertaining).

But that wasn't enough, I searched for other Hearthstone Youtubers and Arena-Content, which was not much back in the days (I wasn't too interested in constructed back then). I waited months for my Beta-Key so I had to bear with Youtube for the time being. And then, right before christmas 2013, I recieved an e-mail from blizzard in the middle of the night - my Beta Key! Safe to say I didn't get much sleep that night. :)

Since then, I played this game and watched Hearthstone Content on YT on a daily basis. At first I thought I was very good, because I watched countless hours of arena gameplay on youtube and was 90% certain, what the player would do next (classic back seat gaming I guess), but when I first had to play this game on my own, I got crushed in the arena for the first runs. :( This was the time when I got interested in constructed. There was a f2p deck from a video of "Force Strategy Gaming" called pally swarm which helped me grind some gold (thank you btw! :) ) But again, this wasn't enough, I wanted more. Then I discovered Twitch (I know, I'm late...). It helped me to get way better at the game and learn the basics of a card game. I only played the pokemon TCG on my GBC, but that didn't make me a TCG/CCG master obviously :(

When the open beta rolled out, unlucky for me, my IRL friends weren't too invested in the game, so I had to play alone. But that didn't keep me from playing it. I've never played a game for more than a year in my life. I never got bored with it and I can't explain it.

Of course I always yelled at my screen, when I encountered another freaking mage in arena with 4 flamestrikes, or the fifth zoo in a row (thanks reynad...) But as time passed by, and things got a bit worse for me, I became more calm. Why bother when he spammes "Sorry." four times in a row? Let him, squelch him. In the end, I(!) decided to play this game and want to enjoy it, so why bother with BM? I always wanted to play the control decks, because I like games who take time, where you have to trade smart and think about your precious removal and silence. I saved up all my dust to craft those Druid, Warrior, Handlock and Priest Decks. And when you managed to beat those cancer decks, it was the best feeling ever. (Jaraxxus is... sorry!)

Safe to say, that Hearthstone made my life in this time so much more enjoyable. We are all gamers and share this passion. We all enjoy our passions in time, where we don't have something important to do and some of us can even enjoy their passions at work. And yeah, some people ask you, what is your reward in life, when you have all the cards or spending all your free time with a game like this. But isn't that the sole reason of your passions? Do the things you love in your spare time? Do the things you love, because you never know when you are not capable to do them anymore?

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story with hearthstone with reddit :) I would like to give a few thank you's to my favorite streamers, if that is allowed...?

Of course a big thank you to Blizzard, for making such a wonderful game.

Thank you Totalbiscuit, for introducing me into hearthstone.

Thank you GuardsmanBob for the late night streams and the best music on twitch. I hope someday you will get the job at blizzard, your ideas are amazing!

Thank you Noxious, I will always keep your gimmick decks in a special place of my heart(h).

and last but not least, thank you Trump, for the countless hours of value. Please keep limey!

That is all! If you managed to read it all, thank you kind person, have a good day :)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
sorry quigs literally no one is going to read that

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Blackula69 posted:

sorry quigs literally no one is going to read that

i read it and now im trying to find who is chopping onions in my office. please dont be so insensitive.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Notorious QIG posted:

Hello fellow hearthstoners,
I just wanted to say goodbye to a game, which was most likely my most played game throughout my entire life. Unfortunately, in a few days, I certainly won't be able to play this game anymore.

My cancer has grown too strong and in a few days I will go to the hospital and it's not very likely that I will ever come back from it. I'm aware of that now for a good amount of time and made my peace with it. I was never a person who spoke openly about those things with a lot of people, but with hearthstone (and the anonymity of the internet) it is somehow different. I hope some people will bear with me and read why and my experiences with hearthstone - and maybe your experience are similiar to mine :)

It's been now more than 1,5 years, since I started to spent my time with hearthstone. I only stumbled upon hearthstone through totalbiscuit. He uploaded a "WTF is...?" in mid August '13 and started his Lord of the Arena series after that. I was hooked from the very first second and watched every episode after that.

I can safely say, that without TB, I would most likely not be playing hearthstone today, since I was never a PC guy who followed PC-Gaming news (i just watched and subscribed to TB because he is freaking entertaining).

But that wasn't enough, I searched for other Hearthstone Youtubers and Arena-Content, which was not much back in the days (I wasn't too interested in constructed back then). I waited months for my Beta-Key so I had to bear with Youtube for the time being. And then, right before christmas 2013, I recieved an e-mail from blizzard in the middle of the night - my Beta Key! Safe to say I didn't get much sleep that night. :)

Since then, I played this game and watched Hearthstone Content on YT on a daily basis. At first I thought I was very good, because I watched countless hours of arena gameplay on youtube and was 90% certain, what the player would do next (classic back seat gaming I guess), but when I first had to play this game on my own, I got crushed in the arena for the first runs. :( This was the time when I got interested in constructed. There was a f2p deck from a video of "Force Strategy Gaming" called pally swarm which helped me grind some gold (thank you btw! :) ) But again, this wasn't enough, I wanted more. Then I discovered Twitch (I know, I'm late...). It helped me to get way better at the game and learn the basics of a card game. I only played the pokemon TCG on my GBC, but that didn't make me a TCG/CCG master obviously :(

When the open beta rolled out, unlucky for me, my IRL friends weren't too invested in the game, so I had to play alone. But that didn't keep me from playing it. I've never played a game for more than a year in my life. I never got bored with it and I can't explain it.

Of course I always yelled at my screen, when I encountered another freaking mage in arena with 4 flamestrikes, or the fifth zoo in a row (thanks reynad...) But as time passed by, and things got a bit worse for me, I became more calm. Why bother when he spammes "Sorry." four times in a row? Let him, squelch him. In the end, I(!) decided to play this game and want to enjoy it, so why bother with BM? I always wanted to play the control decks, because I like games who take time, where you have to trade smart and think about your precious removal and silence. I saved up all my dust to craft those Druid, Warrior, Handlock and Priest Decks. And when you managed to beat those cancer decks, it was the best feeling ever. (Jaraxxus is... sorry!)

Safe to say, that Hearthstone made my life in this time so much more enjoyable. We are all gamers and share this passion. We all enjoy our passions in time, where we don't have something important to do and some of us can even enjoy their passions at work. And yeah, some people ask you, what is your reward in life, when you have all the cards or spending all your free time with a game like this. But isn't that the sole reason of your passions? Do the things you love in your spare time? Do the things you love, because you never know when you are not capable to do them anymore?

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story with hearthstone with reddit :) I would like to give a few thank you's to my favorite streamers, if that is allowed...?

Of course a big thank you to Blizzard, for making such a wonderful game.

Thank you Totalbiscuit, for introducing me into hearthstone.

Thank you GuardsmanBob for the late night streams and the best music on twitch. I hope someday you will get the job at blizzard, your ideas are amazing!

Thank you Noxious, I will always keep your gimmick decks in a special place of my heart(h).

and last but not least, thank you Trump, for the countless hours of value. Please keep limey!

That is all! If you managed to read it all, thank you kind person, have a good day :)
didn't know tom collins played hearthstone

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wesley snypes posted:

cool

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

he beat the cancer decks, but he couldnt beat actual cancer

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i got a smash bros soundtrack cd in the mail today

i'm not sure i have something to play it on

does the wii u play music cds

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

just put it on your turntable, duh

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

wesley snypes posted:

hot line miami cart racer lookin good

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Vintersorg posted:

ughhhh, stuck at work, picked my copy up at lunch

dlc codes on receipts now, i guess they dont do inserts cause idiots were stealing?

actually.... codes on receipt is usually done on a retailer by retailer basis (some of them can't even do it) and inserts cost money, so depending on the scale/scope of the dlc and the exclusivity of it (retailer specific, etc) you won't get inserts.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Blackula69 posted:

sorry literally no one is going to read that

our response to practically all of your poasts

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Beast of Bourbon posted:

actually.... codes on receipt is usually done on a retailer by retailer basis (some of them can't even do it) and inserts cost money, so depending on the scale/scope of the dlc and the exclusivity of it (retailer specific, etc) you won't get inserts.

the only thing in my copy was a ad for the order and some other game, trashed it. no instruction manual or ANYTHING

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Vintersorg posted:

the only thing in my copy was a ad for the order and some other game, trashed it. no instruction manual or ANYTHING

yeah that's p. normal.

like a lot of games have launch edition copies with the pre-order incentive in it, and if a game doesn't have a global one, and only a specific retailer incentive (like gamestop gets a free skin or whatever) then it will be printed on the receipt. some big retailers can't do code-on-receipt so you have to make special copies just for them and that's really expensive to do at small scales. like literally only the biggest of the big games will do that.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's all on youtube anyway

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

no one reads manuals anymore, why bother printing them? i think the last game i bought physically had the manual printed on the back of the box art insert

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the last time I read the manual for anything was pso gamecube which I think was long enough to fit most definitions of a novel

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Aces of the Pacific came with a 150-page history of the Pacific Theatre in WW2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wesley snypes posted:

that's not gulf livery

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!
all my other cars are blue and orange don't worry

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
digital combat simulator modules come with manuals that are a few hundred pages easy, not including manuals for stuff like the scenario editor

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

that's not gulf livery

martini is better

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the manual for starflight for the sega genesis included both a short story set in the game's universe, and a complete game walkthrough in the form of a captain's log

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

As a Millennial I posted:

the manual for starflight for the sega genesis included both a short story set in the game's universe, and a complete game walkthrough in the form of a captain's log

the manual for starcraft 1 had long backstories for each of the three races, which have since been almost completely retconned. for example, sc1 marines are criminals who have been "conditioned" to use their violence for "good"

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

thats because it was a port of an old crpg and old crpg manuals are amazing with all their fluff

i remember old ultima stuff being really cool. the manual for u4 was written in the form of a traveler's guide

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

original boxed Elite came with a Ship Owners game manual, an in-universe novella, a trifold ship recognition card and a key reference card with function key strip.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

dragon enthusiast posted:

the last time I read the manual for anything was pso gamecube which I think was long enough to fit most definitions of a novel

i kind of miss this because i remember reading the poo poo out of the warcraft ii and starcraft manuals that were better novels than games

that was an era when devs apparently believed themselves to be story tellers first and i miss it

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

if i remember correctly battledrome had all this poo poo and a comic book with the most 90s anime nazis ever

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

NoneMoreNegative posted:

original boxed Elite came with a Ship Owners game manual, an in-universe novella, a trifold ship recognition card and a key reference card with function key strip.

i think the most fun i ever had with my old zx spectrum was reading the elite manual

JET PAC came close second

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

hubris.height posted:

warcraft ii manual

hell yea!

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!
the new Elite is good.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wesley snypes posted:

the new Elite is good.

:agreed: though I haven't played it much recently. I really want them to hurry up and patch in planetary landings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!
flying the Vulture is like being an angry god in an f-16

• Locked thread