Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a transit capacity mod out there? A small town will fill a max funded metro and a tiny village will fill a bus route, it's crazy.

Actually what we need is a traffic mod that just tones down the amount of traffic in general. Would this be possible? Like just decrease the rate that residential buildings send out people?

It'd like that, too. One of the few upsides of SimCity 4 compared to this game is that I could directly edit the DAT file with transit capacities and speeds and not worry about details. But in Skylines, how would that work? It's an agent-based simulation (whereas SimCity 4 treated roads as buckets it could dump traffic into until filled). Individual cars are modeled and tracked on each road, so if that road "looks" full in-game, with traffic backed up, then it is. The only way to fit more on it is to shrink the car sizes.

Like, I just can't reconcile the "realistic" agent system with transit capacities and speeds in real life:

("Dual carriageway", for those of you wondering, is what Skylines uses for freeways: a cluster of one-way lanes physically separate from a cluster of one-way lanes going the opposite direction.)

Like, a freeway should be able to have 5600 cars on it per hour per lane. Does it look like 16,800 cars are passing through a single freeway per hour? At 60 miles per hour? But how would you even begin to close the gap between the in-game agent model and real life without delving deep into the agent and car modeling system?

Curvature of Earth fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

Rift Island (made by a goon itt) is really great. I had to rework the transit system a bit but the geometry and everything else is fantastic.

Map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413204253

Glad you're enjoying it! What about the transit in particular wasnt working for you, or was it just for your own needs you wanted more control over the highways?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I wish you could have more control over turning-lane layout as well. If I have a one-way 6-lane intersecting with another one-way 6-lane, and I find that the majority of traffic is making that turn, I would love to be able to flip the ratio of straight:turn lanes.

EDIT: Or tweak traffic light times. Not all avenues are created equal :argh:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 24, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Curvature of Earth posted:

Like, I just can't reconcile the "realistic" agent system with transit capacities and speeds in real life:

I suspect this has to do with the game's time cycle. There is no night and day, and agents take literally days to get to their destination.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That dash-cam mod is amazing and something I've been wanting in Simcity for decades. I decided to first use it by following a fire truck out of the station, and as it came over the overpass...

:byodood:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's a flight simulator mod out now. It's a little wonky but it sure is promising.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413366627

KKKlean Energy posted:

That dash-cam mod is amazing and something I've been wanting in Simcity for decades. I decided to first use it by following a fire truck out of the station, and as it came over the overpass...

:byodood:

Do the shadows/textures flicker for you when using that mode? It's seriously bumming me out, but at the same time just watching beat cops cruise through the city is strangely satisfying. I would love a mod in this engine that lets you drive around.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can I get a link to the dash cam mod please?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
e: ^^^^ it's the first person mod, in the OP. Click a vehicle then click the camera icon in the query box.

I'm not getting any flickering when using the mode, but I am getting considerable lag from a quarter of my city being on fire. I'm not really sure why either.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KKKlean Energy posted:

e: ^^^^ it's the first person mod, in the OP. Click a vehicle then click the camera icon in the query box.

I'm not getting any flickering when using the mode, but I am getting considerable lag from a quarter of my city being on fire. I'm not really sure why either.

Can you tell me your graphics settings?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Man, 21k items on the workshop after 2 weeks. Also, I spotted this City Stats webserver

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Can you tell me your graphics settings?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Who wants Walter White's house, complete with pizza on roof?

I'm going to enjoy peppering my cities with little easter eggs and homages to things. I love the variety in mods.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up

Kilonum posted:

Man, 21k items on the workshop after 2 weeks. Also, I spotted this City Stats webserver

What does this... do? You can leave your game on at home and check upon your city statistics while at work?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

kinnas posted:

What does this... do? You can leave your game on at home and check upon your city statistics while at work?

It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Huh, I still have the problem with shadows flickering. Weird.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ZenVulgarity posted:

Have some rear end in a top hat demolishing your poo poo with a space hammer as a disaster

You mean a space elevator breaking free and wrapping itself three times over the planet (best part of Red Mars).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

kinnas posted:

Haven't played with it yet, but I can see it being useful if you have 2 monitors.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
I know it's a good and engaging game when I keep coming with wishlists.

I know you can create custom-sized parks, but I wish you could turn non-rectangular pieces of greenspace into a park. If I use lots of curved roads then I get lots of spaces that'd be great to stick a park in, but not even a custom park would fit properly. Not to mention it's quite a pain to quit out to the asset editor and hope you remember the dimensions exactly.

I also hope that when the developers add tunnels (like I think I remember them saying was on their to-do list) then subways will be expanded into light rail, letting you surface metro trains for bridges or even just surface rail. Also, subways feel a little "too easy" because boring tunnels is surprisingly cheap and it completely ignores surface roads.

I also wish there was a better way to merge roads without it technically being an intersection -- seeing vehicles make u-turns where two freeways merge into an avenue makes me cringe. Either having a two-lane highway piece or being able to raise the speed limit on the two-lane-one-way piece would be pretty nice, too, to make highway merges look even nicer.

Finally, I often find myself wishing for a way to control if a non-highway road supports zoning or not. Sometimes I want to adjust zoning between two parallel roads to be attached to only one of those roads. (A workaround for now is to use the no-pillars mod, as a side-effect of disabling road collision is that the road no longer supports zoning.)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think fine tuning of roads/turn lanes/lights/etc. is probably going to come from the developer at some point (as DLC maybe).

These are the people that made Cities in Motion 2, after all, and that thread was filled with "why the gently caress do I need to alter time tables on transit routes with 15 minute intervals and ticket prices that poo poo is too much!" (I liked it though).

Psawhn posted:

Finally, I often find myself wishing for a way to control if a non-highway road supports zoning or not. Sometimes I want to adjust zoning between two parallel roads to be attached to only one of those roads. (A workaround for now is to use the no-pillars mod, as a side-effect of disabling road collision is that the road no longer supports zoning.)

I love that mod for all it's niche uses like that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 24, 2015

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

This might be a stupid question, but can I make a custom map where the only map connection at start is a seaport or airport?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
If you're a sperg and hate fun, like me, check out this stricter slopes mod!
Stricter Slope Limits - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413311572

Alternatively if you're a filthy well-adjusted fun loving human being whom they in grognardland call "casuals", here's your rollercoaster tycoon simulator
Steeper Slopes & Higher Bridges - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412920038

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nope, there's a checklist of things you must have, and you cannot build sea/air ports, just connections.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really want a road smoother tool. My roads look like lumpy rear end.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You can 100% make UI icons. I'm not sure how, but it's possible.

Good to know! I'll do a bit more digging.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Have some rear end in a top hat demolishing your poo poo with a space hammer as a disaster

Plus everything catches fire and all the billboards collapse when cars ran into them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So apparently people have been digging into all the game's stats such as there's some pretty sweeping "realism" mods coming out. Some completely gut the leveling up system and add in all sorts of interesting new stats the features. The downside is that it seems all the people technically literate enough to code this know gently caress all about cities or game balance and are just adding tons of "realism" without any thought on gameplay or balance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LostCosmonaut posted:

This might be a stupid question, but can I make a custom map where the only map connection at start is a seaport or airport?

SynthOrange posted:

Nope, there's a checklist of things you must have, and you cannot build sea/air ports, just connections.

Technically I think that you could do it, it's possible to add road connections that begin and end on the end of the map. I've done it before when just checking out how my maps look in game, rather than the editor. Of course I don't think you could actually play it without highway connections.

SynthOrange posted:

You can smooth your roads out manually using the free form road tool and adjusting height very carefully. It doesn't always work, but it's better than nothing. Plus, when you get used to it you can make roads pretty much anywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal for the modding circle of life. People who decide the only way to fix the game is to impose their definition of realism.

Mod packs are next!

battle
Dec 20, 2013

i liked the aditional tiles mod, but yeah mods packs are gonna be interesting if they ever add em'

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

xzzy posted:

That's normal for the modding circle of life. People who decide the only way to fix the game is to impose their definition of realism.

Mod packs are next!

"Better than Highways" :stare:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Steam Collections do essentially the same job.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

xzzy posted:

Mod packs are next!

And the circle continues! Next we'll have somebody making their own mod that punishes people for using a mod they don't like.

Since the days are so weird, is it likely that CO will add a day/night cycle? Might tank performance if every building needs a day and night model, I suppose. Just seems weird to plunk down streetlights and have them sit there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Learn to use the curved road tool. Not the third tool, the second one. The guide part of the road (the dotted outline) snaps to the end-tangent when close, and if you make sure the guide point snaps to that, then the result will look perfectly continuous. The length of the dotted part (the start point to control point) determines how the road curves: If the distance from start to control point is similar to that of control point to end point, the curve will be even, if the start-to-control part is longer the curve will be more towards the end, if the control-to-end part is longer then curve will be more towards the start.

If you need to connect the end of one road to the end of another road, try to pretend each road is extended along its end tangent in a straight line. The two will cross somewhere, (unless the roads are parallel), if you place your curve control point at that crossing, the curve will match so the new road connects nicely to both existing road ends.

Also, there is a mod that allows you to hotkey the snapping toggle on road building, by default mapping it to holding the Alt key. It's invaluable when building serious intersections.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Seeing what kinds of buildings people create is half the fun of modding. Now we just need better Traffic AI mods, because drat the traffic in this game is bullshit, there's no point in building multilane roads if they only use one lane.

Facechild
May 26, 2008
I made a map using terrain party, it is Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada, I think it's decent. On;y one of the bridges going across the harbor is there because highways.
I've made a revision to avoid an inevitable poo harbor situation. but please let me know what you think of babby's first map.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413474331

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Jet Jaguar posted:

And the circle continues! Next we'll have somebody making their own mod that punishes people for using a mod they don't like.

Since the days are so weird, is it likely that CO will add a day/night cycle? Might tank performance if every building needs a day and night model, I suppose. Just seems weird to plunk down streetlights and have them sit there.

These developers seem pretty savvy to performance tricks, and it is not entirely necessary to have separate models for day and night. An emissive window shader might be enough.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

Pretty sure they wouldn't have any compunctions about a fortnight length day/night cycle. It'd be an absurd amount of work to implement though since the engine has to handle all of those light sources decently, and then they still need to add the lighting to all the buildings. And then have those turn on/off individually and semi-randomly during dusk/dawn.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Skylines finally got knocked off the #1 steam sellers list by -
GTA V preorder. Because its definitely not getting pushed back this time.

Honestly the 2k sale was goddamn solid and I'm surprised that wasn't the thing that would push out Skylines. Turns out a proper citybuilder with modding support at a low price would prove really popular!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

After constantly running up against AI problems or weird flaws or balance issues I almost feel like shelving the game and letting it brew a while until some really good NAM style mod comes out. I want some nice all-inclusive realism/balance mod that makes things just work "right". Buildings have the jobs/pop based on how they actually look, traffic feeling right for the size of the city and the traffic AI actually using lanes, the economy making a bit more sense. Just all those spergy little things. I keep having these grand plans for a "perfect" city then having it all come crashing down due to something that never feels right. I don't want to play the game focused around the traffic AI and making weird highway ramp cities, I want to be able to more or less replicate the layout of a real city and have it more or less work.

Like I live in a city of about 380k. We have no skyscrapers, just a handful of buildings over 15 stories and a couple over 20. The entire region has 2 highways and and 6 highway intersections that involve any sort of ramp/bridge, and even then they are all very simple, the equivalent of a highway to 4-lane connection. There are a few major roads that are 4 lanes but most of the city is simple 2-lane streets. We have a good bus system but no metro or trains. The whole area is about 15x15km which could easily fit on the maps in Skylines which is really cool. But if I were to build anything close to my city in the game it would end up having a population of only about 80k, would require a massive highway system that makes LA look like Paris, and a dense network of metro stations covering the entire area to even hope to control traffic.

To get up to my low-density real life city's population would require covering the map in a dense forest of hong kong style pencil towers. I'm not expecting perfect "realism" but just something that sort of makes a bit of sense, something that sort of relates to reality.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Install the fudged population mod, your problems are fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

xzzy posted:

Mod packs are next!

Wheres my ugly Oblivion gate mod