Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

EDIT: holy poo poo, the Gazette has an entire 4-day special called "Clearing the Haze" with five articles a day all criticizing legalization: http://gazette.com/clearingthehaze

http://jimromenesko.com/2015/03/24/morning-report-for-march-24-2015/

quote:

I’m told: “Gazette employees have been strongly discouraged from commenting on or sharing opinions about the series. Privately editors have mentioned that public criticism could jeopardize reporters’ jobs.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This is some kind of extremely low-rent William Randolph Hearst deal.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well as much as I hate to give the Gazette credit for anything it's nice to see someone finally acknowledge the downsides of legalization. There's a ton of us here in Colorado who voted for it and now regret doing so, but nobody wants to publish anything but the yay all is good society only improves from legalization narrative that gets clicks among the key demo. It's been tough to get anyone to talk about the negatives, much less get a critical article past an editor.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What is it that causes you to regret voting for legalization?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well as much as I hate to give the Gazette credit for anything it's nice to see someone finally acknowledge the downsides of legalization. There's a ton of us here in Colorado who voted for it and now regret doing so, but nobody wants to publish anything but the yay all is good society only improves from legalization narrative that gets clicks among the key demo. It's been tough to get anyone to talk about the negatives, much less get a critical article past an editor.

You're going to need to elaborate on what exactly these negative effects are. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but "Think of all the BAD stuff that's been happening!" isn't exactly a well-formed argument.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Pryor on Fire posted:

There were downsides to abolishing slavery for lots of people. Should I have given a gently caress?

Drug prohibition immoral and unjust. End of story. I will not rest until it is lawful to use heroin for whatever reason you want and every surviving architect or sympathiser of the drug war is hunted down and thrown to the lions (so egregious are their crimes). The uprising has only just begun.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 24, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Seriously what are these downsides. Are you talking about problems with implementation (taxes, shops etc) or outright things-that-prohibition-is-better-at?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I too, am interested in knowing the negatives of legalization in Colorado.

I do hope that they don't include children or increased use.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Powercrazy posted:

I do hope that they don't include children or increased use.

Norway prohibited skateboards for over a decade because they were worried kids would hurt themselves. Skateboarding among minors and injuries increased after they repealed skateboard prohibition.

Doesn't change the fact that skateboard prohibtion was totally illogical.

Link: http://www.oslogames.no/fakta/history

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Italy's parliament just initiated a proposal, mostly from the left but with some right-wing backing too, to legalize marijuana. Apparently currently it's decriminalized, with fines and other bureaucratic punishments for possession, but possible jail sentences for growing/distribution.

Apparently in 2006 the Berlusconi goverment "rescheduled" weed higher up, putting it in the same criminal category as cocaine and heroin, but that was undone in 2014, apparently since it was causing incarceration rates to spike.

The BBC article doesn't give a clear read on how likely this is to pass, but more national bodies openly proposing legalization has to be a good thing: http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-legalization-italy-motion-legalize-cannabis-receives-bi-partisan-support-1849824#.VQxIpmKZf1I.twitter

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

KingEup posted:

Norway prohibited skateboards for over a decade because they were worried kids would hurt themselves. Skateboarding among minors and injuries increased after they repealed skateboard prohibition.
I imagine they were allowed to market skateboards directly to children, though.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

BerkerkLurk posted:

I imagine they were allowed to market skateboards directly to children, though.

The number of kids using cannabis irrelevant to the debate about whether it should be lawful to buy, use, sell cannabis. Just like the number of kids using Pepsi is irrelevant to the debate whether it should be a criminal offence to sell soft drinks.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 25, 2015

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SedanChair posted:

Seriously what are these downsides.
http://gazette.com/legalization-didnt-unclog-prisons/article/1548308

The answer is in the url. How long has this stuff been legal?

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

KingEup posted:

The number of kids using cannabis irrelevant to the debate about whether it should be lawful to buy, use, sell cannabis. Just like the number of kids using Pepsi is irrelevant to the debate whether it should be a criminal offence to sell soft drinks.
I agree, I was just making the point that while underage marijuana use will likely increase a little, it won't be on the level of something that's ostensibly a children's activity, like skateboarding.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

quote:

No tax windfall from medical, retail sales

Smart people knew this would happen. The black market already has a strong supply chain and lower prices. Since police can't tell the difference between taxed weed and untaxed weed of course you aren't going to get a huge windfall. The segment of fuddy duddies too arsed to buy from drug dealers or grow their own aren't going to give a substantial amount of tax revenue to the system.

quote:

Addressing driver impairment difficult

They are working on ways to get more accurate with these drug tests, but this has always been an issue. Even cough or cold medicine has these issues, its up to the officer's training and discretion to determine if a driver is impaired with a legal substance.

quote:

Regulation still ineffective

I kind of agree with this article, I don't like the idea of incorrect potencies and potencies that are too strong which have less manageable effects on the user.They need to work on this so that you get exactly what you pay for and also put a cap on potencies so that people don't get to retarded levels of highness

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I kind of agree with this article, I don't like the idea of incorrect potencies and potencies that are too strong which have less manageable effects on the user.They need to work on this so that you get exactly what you pay for and also put a cap on potencies so that people don't get to retarded levels of highness
How can you really estimate potency on every single plant though? Sounds like that's gonna be hard to do. And why put caps on when i can but everclear and absinthe no problem? I don't even think you can grow weed comparatively strong to those.

site fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 25, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

put a cap on potencies so that people don't get to retarded levels of highness

Go gently caress yourself

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Part of legalization involves regulation. It was the promise of that regulation that convinced enough voters to allow legalization to take place.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Regulation doesn't mean putting arbitrary caps on potency because the idea of someone getting high causes you discomfort.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Part of legalization involves regulation. It was the promise of that regulation that convinced enough voters to allow legalization to take place.

If regulation means testing batches of edibles and some sampling of plants and making the resulting information clear and prominently labeled, you have a good point.

Regulation that simply restricts potency is ridiculous. It's like banning vodka because people can get drunk on it easier than beer. Even Utah with it's 3.2% ABV beer limit will sell you Everclear in a liquor store.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

They are working on ways to get more accurate with these drug tests, but this has always been an issue. Even cough or cold medicine has these issues, its up to the officer's training and discretion to determine if a driver is impaired with a legal substance.

As you're alluding to, alcohol's statuatory BAC limit with is the exception rather than the rule as far as driving while impaired laws go. It's illegal to drive under the influence of any substance, and most of them do not have simple chemical tests. Cops can do horizontal gaze nystagmus tests, or have you walk in a straight line or stand on one leg - especially when you combine multiple tests the results are very accurate. This kind of testing actually makes a lot more sense than setting an arbitrary number for intoxication when different people react differently, and is not limited to one substance.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 25, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

also put a cap on potencies so that people don't get to retarded levels of highness

Why?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never heard anybody say "I'm okay with people getting high, as long as it's not too high."

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

bango skank posted:

I've never heard anybody say "I'm okay with people getting high, as long as it's not too high."

Ties into a popular right-wing statement: "see, with beer you can just drink a little bit and get drunk, but with marijuana you smoke it and get really high, there's no way to use it without getting stoned out of your gourd."

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

bango skank posted:

Then you haven't spent enough time around drug legalization concern trolls.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

3.2% ABV beer limit

What. The. gently caress.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Chalets the Baka posted:

Then you haven't spent enough time around drug legalization concern trolls.

I had a feeling someone would pull out the old "concern trolling" chestnut, the fact is you are heavily biased and can't discuss the topic objectively. The articles in the link above detail people checking themselves into drug rehab programs because they are getting ill from habitually using concentrated THC products, which would be analogous to people taking straight shots of Everclear. Those spirits are meant to be diluted for use in mixed drinks and not drunk directly. Some states (California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania) do forbid the sale of high proof liquors.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I had a feeling someone would pull out the old "concern trolling" chestnut, the fact is you are heavily biased and can't discuss the topic objectively. The articles in the link above detail people checking themselves into drug rehab programs because they are getting ill from habitually using concentrated THC products, which would be analogous to people taking straight shots of Everclear. Those spirits are meant to be diluted for use in mixed drinks and not drunk directly. Some states (California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania) do forbid the sale of high proof liquors.

Go gently caress yourself

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

KillHour posted:

To be clear, 3.2 is by weight, not volume, and the limit only applies to stores and businesses with beer only licenses.
edit:

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Some states (California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania) do forbid the sale of high proof liquors.
A list of states with dumb alcohol regulations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

twodot posted:

To be clear, 3.2 is by weight, not volume, and the limit only applies to stores and businesses with beer only licenses.

That really doesn't make it much better. I don't want to go out to dinner at a place without a full bar and have to drink Coors. Even at a hockey game around here, I can get Aviator Red or some other craft (if not micro) brew.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

KillHour posted:

One reason why 30s are stupid cheap to get around this, I'd guess.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Can you think of another way to get people not to ingest unhealthy amounts of substances besides passing laws?

vvv fair enough

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 25, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Murmur Twin posted:

Can you think of another way to get people not to poison themselves with unhealthy amounts of substances besides passing laws?

The phrasing of this question lends credence to the idea that potent weed is poisonous, which is demonstrably false.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quote != edit

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

Can you think of another way to get people not to ingest unhealthy amounts of substances besides passing laws?

vvv fair enough

I'm also going to point out that passing laws to restrict the sale of those substances is what got us here in the first place. They obviously don't work very well.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

KillHour posted:

I'm also going to point out that passing laws to restrict the sale of those substances is what got us here in the first place. They obviously don't work very well.

Just for the record - I agree. I was more addressing that to Slipknot Hoagie.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's not illegal anywhere to sell 190 proof liquor either. The states listed just don't buy 190 proof everclear for their distribution.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KillHour posted:

Laws that restrict sales are usually effective as long as there's a legal alternative (even if it's technically inferior in quality).

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Yeah in MN we have the buy *gasp* 150 proof Everclear instead of the 190 stuff, still infinitely more deadly and harmful than any marijuana concentrate can possibly be. That's what seems to be missing from your "reasonable concerns" about marijuana legalization, some sense of the relative harms of the substances we're talking about here. Limiting spirits to a measly 75% pure alcohol, while arbitrary, is not the same as putting limits on weed THC content.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

You think that's bad? Several states had limits like that well into the 50s and 60s, with no exception for like specialty spirits/liquor stores. If I remember right Kansas was ne of them, and Mississippi didn't allow alcohol sales at all until 1966 (and Oklahoma not til 1959).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KillHour posted:

You should see Oklahoma, it's hilarious:

Wikipedia posted:

Any beverage containing more than 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4% alcohol by volume, that is, most liquors, wines, and typical beer, may only be sold in licensed liquor stores at room temperature.[1]

To circumvent the alcohol content restrictions, beer distributors in Oklahoma primarily sell low-point beer. This allows the beer to be sold not only in convenience stores and supermarkets, but in refrigerated form. The law defines low-point beer as any beverage containing between 0.5% and 3.2% alcohol by weight.[2]

It literally makes a difference in Oklahoma whether your beer is cold or not.

On one level, I see what they're getting at, because cold = immediate consumption and they don't want you drinking strong beer while driving or in the parking lot or whatever. Kind of like how in some states the food sales tax is waived for most groceries, but not "heated and ready to eat" stuff like rotisserie chicken. That said, it's not like drinking 3.2% ABV while driving is great either, or that being room temp is going to slow someone down that much in their quest to kill off a 12-pack of 5% beer.

It makes things a pain for distributors, I'd imagine, since they have to stock two different products in the state.

Also, last time I was there Oklahoma had this law where a liquor store could sell only alcohol. No smokes, no Solo cups, no horoscope scrolls, nothing but alcohol. So all over OKC you'd see strip mall storefront liquor stores, and infallibly next to it a "Party Store" that's a tiny place that sells cups, ice, tonic water, etc.

• Locked thread