Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheFluff posted:

ok fine I'm just salty about my cruisers getting torpedoed a lot (i am bad at dodging torpedoes)

When in torpedo range of an enemy, change speeds frequently (3/4th to full and back is enough for most cruisers) and zig-zag. It'll throw off torpedo solutions enough that you'll never get nailed with a full spread unless you're at shotgun range. Even a single hit is unlikely.

If a spread is heading towards you and you can't completely dodge, you always want to turn towards the torpedoes rather than away from them. It sounds dumb, but because of physics you'll present a smaller target and get hit with fewer torps than if you turned away.

Right now the shittiness of the higher tiers is mainly because of the OP battleships and the dumb maps. I really hate North and Islands of Ice and miss Big Race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Generation Internet posted:

Impressions from rushing to a Langley last night:

Carriers are extremely My poo poo.
Lots of carrier drivers are bad and sail immediately into farthest corner of map so planes take 10 minutes to get anywhere. I've seen a few get stuck on the map-edge to make themselves perfect torpedo targets. I've just been following the largest blob of my teams ships and it's worked out okay. I won a game yesterday by capping in my CV and it was awesome, always be moving forwards.
There is no greater joy than setting up a proper hammer and anvil attack.
But that is really hard.
It's less boring to be in a carrier waiting to re-arm than it is to be stuck in a slow boat far away from the action.
The St. Louis is also cool when upgraded.

So the game's been fun so far, I'll see if that carries on to higher tiers.

Ahh the thoughts of a carrier driver before Defensive Fire shows up :allears:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It would be really neat if AA were more of an inconvenience to planes and shot down fewer. I'd rather it lowered aircraft accuracy, made bombers drop their torpedoes early or whatever than just kill a plane every N seconds. Right now it really just feels like a mechanism for running carriers out of ammo.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

Crash74 posted:

WG give us some more friggin Gold, You cheap asses! :argh:

Sitting on ~200k xp with 10 days of premium left. :smugdog:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How are you jerks getting gold in the first place?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Does it access your wargaming account and copy that amount of gold for use in the beta?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

-Troika- posted:

How are you jerks getting gold in the first place?

Alpha testers got some gold.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Is it weird that to me the most satisfying part of the game is having a bunch of enemy planes fly over my Cleveland and hear all my AA guns open up on them in a beautiful symphony of metal chunks filling the skies? The actual shooting boats part gets a bit boring after a while, as others have mentioned, but hearing that noise is just so soothing. At least it encourages me to stick with my BBs to provide AA cover, I guess.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They game may get lackluster after tier 5, but the gameplay in and before tier 5 is still fun enough. Fighting bots is actually a good cure for raging at pubbies, because it's possible to carry entire teams by yourself at that point.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I love this overgrown destroyer.

Had the Kongo driver who killed me rage afterwards because I put four torpedos into him post-mortem and then asked wether he liked my farewell gift. :haw:

Crash74
May 11, 2009
More Beta Keys are up!

http://games.on.net/2015/03/world-of-warships-closed-beta-keys/

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Artless Meat posted:

Alpha testers got some gold.

gently caress no they didn't, I was an alpha tester and I didn't get poo poo other than the ship.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
They tiered the alpha rewards so people who played a ton of games got gold.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
welp

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

heh welp

almost enough to retrain the captain after spending that 200k :V

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
First game today and I pick the Tatsuta. The ship is already really bad, and a minute into the game, a ally hits me with a torpedo broadside from about 200m away. It is outgunned by destroyers, who thought that turret placement was a good idea.

I wish I could set the main guns on the Myogi to autofire and then just use the secondaries, because holy poo poo it has terrible guns.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 25, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

feck

:(

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

First game today and I pick the Tatsuta. The ship is already really bad, and a minute into the game, a ally hits me with a torpedo broadside from about 200m away. It is outgunned by destroyers, who thought that turret placement was a good idea.

Eh, I found the Tatsuta not too bad. Playd it like an oversize destroyer and found the guns quite capable enough to bully low-tier DDs once you learn to angle it enough that three of them are in arc. Then you just zoom around torping stuff, looking for gaps to steam into the backfield to murder carriers and/or chasing down DDs. Most DD drivers just plain panic and try to run and/or torp you and give you free reign to chew them up because you're fast and maneuverable enough to keep up and jink torpedos.

Edit:

Something magical just happened. I was forced into a dogfight with a Kongo in my Myogi and got wrecked. The Kongo driver mouthed off in chat to me over it, then realised what the game of chicken I had forced him into had caused:

He was completely stuck for like three minutes, then two torp bomber squadrons (Unrelenting there in the chat was the carrier driver on my team) put him out of his misery. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 25, 2015

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

This game is so much fun.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lesson to those interested in this game:

Do not let magical DPM wagon live most of the game (especially putting himself between your carrier and his battleships), and don't tunnel vision while magical DPM wagon is in critadel hit range of your cruiser.

Do not let magical DPM wagon just keep shooting. And shooting.

I spent basically all game in a Cleveland with some target under my guns. Also, for those interested, the accuracy increase mod is so incredibly worth it on that ship (and let's be honest, most ships) holy hell.

And I still maintain fluff's wrong when it comes to elevation and guns, but I'm gonna go test it.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 25, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

-Troika- posted:

gently caress no they didn't, I was an alpha tester and I didn't get poo poo other than the ship.

I got enough for a month prem. Gotta alpha harder.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

xthetenth posted:

And I still maintain fluff's wrong when it comes to elevation and guns, but I'm gonna go test it.

I'm actually not sure what to think myself anymore. I maintain that there is a lot of "help" involved, though. You do have to range-lead a little bit even when you have the target on autofollow, but way less than what you could expect, I think. Shooting at a target coming towards you while you're going away from it yourself (like in that video I posted earlier) is one case where it seems very apparent that there's a lot of weirdness going on.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

TheFluff posted:

I'm actually not sure what to think myself anymore. I maintain that there is a lot of "help" involved, though. You do have to range-lead a little bit even when you have the target on autofollow, but way less than what you could expect, I think. Shooting at a target coming towards you while you're going away from it yourself (like in that video I posted earlier) is one case where it seems very apparent that there's a lot of weirdness going on.

Distance is really compressed and ships are pretty tall, I have been able to loop salvoes over ships or drop them short when trying but I think it's a lot more weirdness that's normally not exposed than any automatic assistance. Also the Aurora likes to drop salvoes short for no good reason.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
What I find weird is the gun view, as if you were looking out from a mast 1km high. I would have preferred a more realistic approach to that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Hammerstein posted:

What I find weird is the gun view, as if you were looking out from a mast 1km high. I would have preferred a more realistic approach to that.

Don't zoom in all the way? :shrug:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Man, I am just poo poo at Cruisers. I wish replays were in so I could show myself getting kited around and slowly destroyed by a Minekaze at 700 hp at 5 km's away. I could not, for the life of me, land a penetrating AP shot on her; I only realized too late that if I switched to HE preemptively, the two out of fifty or something shots that I actually landed would've probably floundered her. Instead she just slowly sailed away and plinked away at my half-health Kuma while zig-zagging. Twenty-five shots later I was dead and really embarrassed.

I get that in some games, your flank gets thundered and there's nothing you can do, but man, following Battleships around seems to either get you wrecked within 5 minutes, or into a flank with no action at all.

I enjoyed Destroyers for being maneuverable and easy to pick up and play, but I didn't want to stick to just destroyers. However I am considering not ever picking up a Cruiser or a BB again, because I am just a hot mess of dropped spaghetti and missed shots in them. :(

Edit: ↓ I want an Aoba before that, because people say she's got a way to handle nearly everything in the game. After that I might switch over.

Edit Edit: I think I found my problem.

I was using the middle mouse button to fire all the time because I thought the shell cam looked cool! Decided not to use it for a match and I have a great one. Hooray! :v:

OSad fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 25, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OSad posted:

Man, I am just poo poo at Cruisers. I wish replays were in so I could show myself getting kited around and slowly destroyed by a Minekaze at 700 hp at 5 km's away. I could not, for the life of me, land a penetrating AP shot on her; I only realized too late that if I switched to HE preemptively, the two out of fifty or something shots that I actually landed would've probably floundered her. Instead she just slowly sailed away and plinked away at my half-health Kuma while zig-zagging. Twenty-five shots later I was dead and really embarrassed.

I get that in some games, your flank gets thundered and there's nothing you can do, but man, following Battleships around seems to either get you wrecked within 5 minutes, or into a flank with no action at all.

I enjoyed Destroyers for being maneuverable and easy to pick up and play, but I didn't want to stick to just destroyers. However I am considering not ever picking up a Cruiser or a BB again, because I am just a hot mess of dropped spaghetti and missed shots in them. :(

Here's a tip: play American cruisers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Realistic is literally hold the director steady on target and turn a dial so the images your eyes see line up as a computer does the work or point the computer at a radar return and let her rip. Elevation based setups like the game does for fun reasons were obsoleted by the gunnery computer before WWI, and if you aren't a km up it's easy to see why.

Also US cruisers are the best class. Hammer out shells and fight on your terms.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 25, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
This discussion made me find this Wikipedia article, which is pretty drat interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_discussion_of_rangekeeping
e: also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangekeeper

Also, the stereoscopic rangefinders on many ships in the game actually turn to track your turrets. Pretty neat.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 25, 2015

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Here's a tip: play American cruisers.

Yep, even the "awful" Phoenix is really good when captained properly.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're having trouble as a cruiser try hanging back a little bit and waiting until the enemy ships are being spotted before committing to a side of the map to attack. This lets you figure out which side is filled with BBs and which side is weak and filled with other Cruisers and Destroyers. It also stops you from being that dumbo who didn't notice he was sailing off alone into a wall of enemy ships. If you are going to try and play BB interdiction it's important to use map features to block LOS from the enemy battleships so you don't get targeted. There's no reason to put yourself in a Battleships sights until there is nothing left to shoot at and it's your only option.

Sometimes your batteships drive off and get poo poo on by the other battleships and well there's nothin you can do about that

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

OSad posted:

Edit: ↓ I want an Aoba before that, because people say she's got a way to handle nearly everything in the game. After that I might switch over.

Edit Edit: I think I found my problem.

I was using the middle mouse button to fire all the time because I thought the shell cam looked cool! Decided not to use it for a match and I have a great one. Hooray! :v:

press Z after you fired normally for shell cam

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Singlehandedly won the game here, sank 4/6 enemy ships that died. Almost 200k damage...can't wait for the shimakaze.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Did not realize this went into beta. Saw some dude sink boats on Twitch last night. Need a key. (why can't I buy a key with WG gold?)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I'm already getting tired of this and I haven't even played it yet.
Can't see grinding for hours on those empty oceans, WG need to bring on convoys and bases instead of the stupid capfast circles.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think they'll have more than the what, 4 maps? 5? that they have right now for release. At least we're launching with 3 game modes, Tanks launched with 1 and stayed that way for a while.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheFluff posted:

There is some range auto-aim, but I'm not sure if it actually helps. If you're targeted on enemy A and aiming at him, you can still overshoot or undershoot for range and hit the water in front of him/behind him quite easily.

If you are targeted (X) at enemy A who is 4 km away, but aiming towards un-targeted enemy B who is 8 km away, your shots will land somewhere between around 6 km.

So be careful that the ship you're aiming at is the one that is targeted, otherwise the range "correction" will screw up your shots.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

PirateBob posted:

There is some range auto-aim, but I'm not sure if it actually helps. If you're targeted on enemy A and aiming at him, you can still overshoot or undershoot for range and hit the water in front of him/behind him quite easily.

If you are targeted (X) at enemy A who is 4 km away, but aiming towards un-targeted enemy B who is 8 km away, your shots will land somewhere between around 6 km.

So be careful that the ship you're aiming at is the one that is targeted, otherwise the range "correction" will screw up your shots.

Don't worry about it. This is already covered extensively in the in-game wiki.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

I think they'll have more than the what, 4 maps? 5? that they have right now for release. At least we're launching with 3 game modes, Tanks launched with 1 and stayed that way for a while.

One of those gamemodes, the one with the three cap circles, is awful though. The points the caps provide contribute too much to winning and ships are too slow/unmaneuvrable to react to caps, so the winner of the match is usually whoever caps two points at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried to prevent a destroyer from taking a domination point early by divebombing him. He popped smoke and hid while my plane circled uselessly above unable to spot anything. Welp. But he had turned off his AA so it was fair. :shobon: