Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The advised method is to wait until Opening Day and then convert your league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There's an independent league player posting roster corrections for minor league players in the OOTP 16 issues thread on the OOTP site. I find this very amusing.

It looks like the new GM mode is working when you migrate to 16 (at least for this guy)

quote:

Just imported my 87 year old league and immediately get this message from the owner:

Personal Message from Owner Brendan Lambright Jr.: New Goals: Home,

Thank you for your years of service with the Chicago White Sox. Here's to another 87 years!
I will submit some new goals each year that I would like to see you accomplish. As well as winning on the field and turning a profit, completing these goals is the best way to keep me happy:

Reach the Playoffs
Upgrade at Center Field
Improve your team Runs Scored
Sign Brian Maynard to an extension
Acquire a Glove Wizard Award winner
Build a team that can bring a championship home in the next 5 seasons

I will check in with you again next season. Good Luck!

Brendan Lambright Jr.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Rincewind posted:

This is the first time I've actually been in the middle of playing a league when an edition changeover happens. How painless is moving to a new version? Would I be better off just sticking with last year's version, or what?

I have a league I've been playing since OOTP6.5 . It's mid-April 2035 and I just converted to OOTP16 with no apparent problems.

Well, there's one - the aging reliever I was waffling on re-signing is now set as a goal by my owner and his asking price went from ~$4M in OOTP15 to ~$13M in OOTP16. :cry:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Exodor posted:

I have a league I've been playing since OOTP6.5 . It's mid-April 2035 and I just converted to OOTP16 with no apparent problems.

Well, there's one - the aging reliever I was waffling on re-signing is now set as a goal by my owner and his asking price went from ~$4M in OOTP15 to ~$13M in OOTP16. :cry:

In a league I am in, a future hall of fame player who was getting old and could only play like 65 games per season suddenly became an iron man after migrating to 15 (or 14, I can't remember) and went on to stay healthy and play well for several more seasons. It's always weird when that happens.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Sounds like things are going pretty smoothly, then!

I hope the facial hair percentages I set up carry over all right; it was a lot of work setting it up to give everyone the dumbest moustaches possible.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Exodor posted:

OOTP15 had no idea how to calculate market value for relievers at all, so this is probably a good change.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I always have to end up playing with the financials before starting because 3-4 years in and you have 50m contracts. This was in OOTP 14 probably

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Buane posted:

OOTP15 had no idea how to calculate market value for relievers at all, so this is probably a good change.

For a while you could just sign ***** relievers after opening day for a song. It was pretty easy just to stock up your bullpen.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think the version I stopped at was 12 or 13, so I'm looking forward to getting home to try the new one. I've been playing baseball sims since MicroLeague Baseball on my C64 and I'm still not sick of it.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Is there any "dumb babby's first OOTP game" guide somewhere?

I am a dumb babby.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Athaboros posted:

Is there any "dumb babby's first OOTP game" guide somewhere?

I am a dumb babby.

There's a really good "new to the game" sub forum in OOTP's forums section.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

uhhhhh

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been playing baseball sims since MicroLeague Baseball on my C64 and I'm still not sick of it.

MicroLeague Baseball was my first hit on the baseball crack pipe, too.

I really like the inclusion of MLB 3D ballparks this year. I play out every third game but I never really bothered with 3D stadiums last year because they seemed like a real pain to import and setup. I'm digging the All-Star voting process too - I got an email on April 30 showing the current vote tallies.

I also really like the new Hall of Fame screen:

You can kind of see artifacts of this being a long-running league that's transitioned through multiple versions of OOTP - Brett being "age 0" at retirement for example and his picture pre-dating FaceGen. I've been playing this same league since 2005.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 21, 2015

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Speaking of Facegen, there's no mod to give accurate Facegen faces to Major Leagues in Add On Central yet and I can't start until I have that!

E: Actually, if I start now will I be able to add them later when they're ready?

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 21, 2015

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Add http://ootpmods.com/mods/ootpmods16.xml to the server list in Add-Ons Central and download the 2015 All in One mod, it contains the facegens. It should update existing leagues.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Update on my dead minor league manager - the players love him and the team is in first place. I will likely promote him to one of my A affiliates after the season.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just started a game as the Astros and my number 1 goal is "Don't suck completely this season" and the long term plans are to cut pay and try to maybe reach playoffs in 7 seasons

most accurate baseball game out there.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
This is probably a dumb question so please do explain like I'm an idiot.

Where is this guy getting all that star rating improvement when he seems to have no real skill improvement potential?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't know how long they've had the feature where you can specify the percentages for which country players come from but it's going to make my world leagues way more interesting.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Revenant Threshold posted:

Where is this guy getting all that star rating improvement when he seems to have no real skill improvement potential?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's twofold: his major weakness offensively is Eye, which happens to be the one stat that increases with age and that he's got great speed and is a fantastic defensive shortstop with the physical tools to become a top-end 2B or 3B as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oldskool posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say it's twofold: his major weakness offensively is Eye, which happens to be the one stat that increases with age and that he's got great speed and is a fantastic defensive shortstop with the physical tools to become a top-end 2B or 3B as well.

He's asking why he's a 1* current with 4.5* potential when basically all his stats are maxed to their talent. My guess is that it thinks he could improve at SS still and those last few points of Eye and Contact are a big deal? I don't know for sure though.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

He's asking why he's a 1* current with 4.5* potential when basically all his stats are maxed to their talent. My guess is that it thinks he could improve at SS still and those last few points of Eye and Contact are a big deal? I don't know for sure though.

Defensive position experience doesn't have potential, and Eye increases with experience regardless of potential, so it's saying that if both of those things increase as they tend to do, this kid will develop into a player that's nearly impossible to strike out, draws a ton of walks, terrorizes the basepaths and is also a gold-glove middle infielder.

The stats that have caps are maxed, yes. The stats that don't are where his development will be.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Revenant Threshold posted:

It's just a blind spot in the OOTP ratings system. Happens from time to time, where the algorithm that determines a player's potential and the algorithm that determines a player's current worth are a bit at odds. Either his potential star rating will drop precipitously once he's no longer a "prospect" or his current ratings will rise rapidly as the last few skill points fill out.

Between weighing for defensive position, age, and speed ratings (especially speed ratings), OOTP sometimes just has one of these weird ratings perfect storms.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oldskool posted:

The stats that have caps are maxed, yes. The stats that don't are where his development will be.

So you're saying five points of eye and three points of contact in a 100 point rating system will bring him from 1* to 4.5* then, which is what I said. That seems questionable to me.

On a happier note, look who I found in FA!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

So you're saying five points of eye and three points of contact in a 100 point rating system will bring him from 1* to 4.5* then, which is what I said. That seems questionable to me.

Eye's going to end up a lot higher than 38.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I have a spare OOTP 16 Steam key if anyone wants it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Traxis posted:

I doubt I have anything that'd interest you in trade, but you never know, I guess.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Traxis posted:

I'm looking to get into the series if you still have it. Never played OOTP before, but I love sports sims like Football Manager or the more manager modes in EA Football games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

So far, I like 16. There was a weird bug when I first started a 2015 seasons where I made myself the GM of the Twins, then switched to the Marlins, but it was still sending me Twins updates until I hit the resign button and then re-upped with the Marlins. Other than that, the icons are handy and the "Meet the Team" option, where it shows you where every one of your starters ranks vs. the rest of the league, is nice.

They have some serious ratings problems with MLB ratings, though, and I'm not sure how this didn't get patched in before they launched the game:

:getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think they're still using PECOTA so that's probably part of the problem.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I think they're still using PECOTA so that's probably part of the problem.

Could be. Also, I think they could have just hosed up the adjustment for him coming back from NPB.

Another thing I noticed was you get messages when you lose or acquire a strong leader about how the players are responding (similar to how you get a message about the fan response to losing/acquiring a very popular player). I have no idea if this actually impacts how the players play on your roster.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

OOTP 16 features: Improved AI trading!

*trades Eduardo Nunez and Jordan Schafer to SF for two of their top prospects*

:downs:

e: Although to be fair, I'm finding it quite hard to offload Mike Pelfrey onto some unsuspecting sap.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

OOTP 16 features: Improved AI trading!

*trades Eduardo Nunez and Jordan Schafer to SF for two of their top prospects*

:downs:

e: Although to be fair, I'm finding it quite hard to offload Mike Pelfrey onto some unsuspecting sap.

I find that young, cost controlled, players are much easier to trade than vets, and bonus points for being able to play up the middle. Also "SF's top two prospects" doesn't mean much if they're not that good compared to the rest of the minors.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IcePhoenix posted:

I find that young, cost controlled, players are much easier to trade than vets, and bonus points for being able to play up the middle. Also "SF's top two prospects" doesn't mean much if they're not that good compared to the rest of the minors.

Granted I only started that game, but both of them are hitting below the Uecker line and Schafer's overall is WAY overinflated (56 OVR / 57 POT) purely because he has 80 Speed and Stealing.

Meanwhile I got Mikey Edie (potential 4-tool CF with a 70 POT) and Kuery Mella (Skinerball SP with 55 POT, who is the #3 SF prospect in real life)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Has anyone had any luck with managers and coaches yet? Trying to figure out what to be looking for, I've just been hiring former players out of amusement. Also, is their reputation just tied to their records? And what does that even do?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I don't know what they were thinking with some of the default outfielder defensive ratings. Maybe it has changed with the recent updates? The way they were originally set, Alex Gordon's ratings would make him the best centerfielder in the game if you gave him time to learn the position. Heyward was similar.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

tadashi posted:

I don't know what they were thinking with some of the default outfielder defensive ratings. Maybe it has changed with the recent updates? The way they were originally set, Alex Gordon's ratings would make him the best centerfielder in the game if you gave him time to learn the position. Heyward was similar.

This has always been a problem with OOTP's default rosters. That said, Gordon is coming off a year where he was rated very highly by UZR, so that's probably why he has high defensive ratings. Heyward has always been rated highly, and probably would be a decent CF if he played there.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP still isn't weighing offers vs. foreign leagues correctly when it comes to FAs. It's probably since minor league players (without a signing bonus) don't "have" a salary. I've had players turn my minor league offers down to go play in Korea for 50K. I mean that's what a decent AAA free agent could get in the states and they'd have the incentive that getting promoted comes with a huge raise.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I started playing OTTP 16 with default settings, and holy poo poo my guys get hurt a lot. Is there anything strategic I can do to reduce injuries? I have backups at every position, and I leave my lineups/rotations to the manager so I don't think it's a problem of being overworked. Is this just how the game is? I've simmed 5 or 6 seasons and I don't think I've ever gone through one without multiple season-ending injuries to my starters.

weas fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've always found OOTP's injury rate to be absurd, no matter how durable your players are. One of the first things I do is turn the injury rate down at least a notch, if not two depending on how bad things are going.

• Locked thread