Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

As I recall, in the full video you see a supervisor run over and switch places with the driver after the gif ends, because the driver wasn't licensed to drive on airport property.

Making himself look like a loving retard behind the wheel instead was somehow better in his mind, how? Not to mention it was all on camera anyway.

Hooray for panic reactions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Last Transmission posted:

Making himself look like a loving retard behind the wheel instead was somehow better in his mind, how? Not to mention it was all on camera anyway.

Because then he just looks like he is a bad driver, instead of breaking the law and letting an unlicensed person drive a thing that requires a license.

Duh...

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Last Transmission posted:

Might be throwing himself on his sword. He's fired either way, but if he got the driver away quickly enough, driver might have kept his job. Except for the camera.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

As I recall, in the full video you see a supervisor run over and switch places with the driver after the gif ends, because the driver wasn't licensed to drive on airport property.

I know it's not actually the case but I like the idea of someone needing training and a license to know not to ram trucks into the airplanes

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

We're doing something monumentally stupid! We almost died, but we didn't! Hooray!

A shame the train didn't speed up. :kheldragar:

How long does it take for any appreciable increase in speed to happen when the conductor "puts his foot down" as it were?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At least if his foot got caught on the rail he wouldn't be stuck for long

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Vanagoon posted:

We're doing something monumentally stupid! We almost died, but we didn't! Hooray!

A shame the train didn't speed up. :kheldragar:

How long does it take for any appreciable increase in speed to happen when the conductor "puts his foot down" as it were?

I didn't find a good answer in 3 minutes of googling, but I'm going to assume "a really goddamn long time".

reading train articles on wikipedia is always weird, because you can always tell the type of person who wrote them was probably really into it

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Train people are really loving weird. They know the schedules of trains and just randomly show up to watch it go by, or take video that only other train weirdos would ever find interesting.

A Venn diagram between train weirdos, transition lens wearers, and dangerous perverts would just simply be a circle.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Are they dangerous perverts in the conventional sense, or in the sense that they're dangerous perverted at train conventions?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

`Nemesis posted:

Train people are really loving weird. They know the schedules of trains and just randomly show up to watch it go by, or take video that only other train weirdos would ever find interesting.

A Venn diagram between train weirdos, transition lens wearers, and dangerous perverts would just simply be a circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

`Nemesis posted:

AI had a Train thread and the thread title was from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT FOR MONTHS AND IT'S FINALLY HERE.

quote:

Ok. Ahh! I've been waiting for this moment for MONTHS and it's finally here! I'm FINALLY gonna get a heritage uni- unit on camera YEAAAHH! Alright! Look at that... at 1953 EA — Woooooohooooooo aaaahh yeahhh, listen to that bell! Yeah, listen to that bell... awww take a look at that. OOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMAAAAIIIIIIIIIGAWWD! WOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!! LISTEN TO THAT HHHOOORRNNN! OOOOOOOOOOOO MMAAAAIII GGGAWWD Aaa—She's Beautiful! SHE IS BEAUTIFUL YEAAHH!!! ALRIGHT! OOOH MYY—OOOOO-ooo-OOOHH!!! OOHH NO it's a BL2 too!!!! Ah....ohhh!!! the SNC 52 OOOOHHH MAAAIII GAWWDDD!!! Oooo-we-we're gonna watch this. Oohhh—this is ssspecial. THIS IS SPECIAL! OOOHHH!!! Oh-that horn gives me the chills! O-and the chills have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with how cold it is here today OOHHH ohhh but that doesnt stop a foamer, oh specially when it comes to heritage equipment — Ohhh this is FANtastic Ohhh Ohhh my goodness, look at that — blue and grey. Oohhh coupled to the... Oohhhh IOWA Pacific... number... 5...18 wOOOOhh Hooooo!! horn AAAHHHHaaa wwoooaaahhh - listen to that horn oh that's fanstastic. Aaahmygosh look at that. Alright oh... Oh yeah, I wonder who TC Durant is? Oh well. Ohhh This is just awesome, I've been waiting for this for months — Look at that! Illinois central delivery.......right here in North Creek! Aaaaah That. Is. Awesome. Aaahhhh! Wooooohhh!!! AAAHH YEAH!! Cant believe I got this! Awwww yeahhh. Aaahh!! WWAahhh!! 

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 24, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Safety-themed railfan video for the OSHA thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16kCRTFJr04

(that's not even a high speed train like the video says, just a regular one :spergin: )

Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwO-IWorGv4

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 24, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I narrowly avoided being a train-spotter, I think, by not having enough free time and not being especially near train tracks/stations as a kid. Train is still my favorite way to travel, but I don't obsess over them :spergin:

A google search came up nil, so I think I have the name wrong, but:
When I was in high school, Amtrak extended their line to a new station the next town over from us, and the rails were fairly close to school grounds, through some woods. So, of course, we had to gather into the auditorium to watch a safety video. I think it was called "Trails of Thunder 2", but google seems to indicate I've got that wrong. Anyway, it was all about how you should STAY THE gently caress OFF THE TRACKS OR DIE. It was done in the format of like a series of cautionary tales skits, including one where a mom stops the car right on top of the railroad crossing to scream at her kids, and stays there until the train blows a car full of mannequins to smithereens.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWLdpyPKDI

This one ?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We had one at my elementary school called ANY TIME IS TRAIN TIME and there were no tail tracks within 50km.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I went to some half rear end christian fundamentalist grade school that was literally right next to the railroad tracks. I mean they could have put up a fence or something but instead they just warned us not to play on the tracks because we'd trip and fall and break our leg or something. Oh and there was a wetlands behind the building. That place was a loving death trap.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

That's the one :v:
Quality educational programming.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

`Nemesis posted:

I wear transitions lenses and love them. How much longer before I'm spotting trains and creeping on children? tia

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Yeah trainspergs are weird.

This is the best trainspotting video. I can sort of understand these people at least because it's an old train that probably sees very little use, like an old car or traditional horse carriage or whatever, but still. From description: "Hundreds of train enthusiasts drive for miles to whitness the new steam loco come through brookwood Station"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBK2hjcPuA

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 24, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Orlando metro area has recently gotten SunRail as a new commuter train system. It's early on, but we've got more train traffic than ever before.

Cars being hit by trains has become downright regular now. People keep trying over and over to drive around barriers when they get impatient and get stuck between them.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The Orlando metro area has recently gotten SunRail as a new commuter train system. It's early on, but we've got more train traffic than ever before.

Cars being hit by trains has become downright regular now. People keep trying over and over to drive around barriers when they get impatient and get stuck between them.

Tourists on I-4, Fireworks, Train versus Automobile accidents, Orlando is a pretty exciting place. Like some kind of wealthy Russia.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

One of the most vivid memories I have from my earlier days was two friends of mine suspended in midair as a train cuts through the space they were just occupying before they jumped away.

But yanno, they were in high school and very drunk, not clearly grown-rear end adults.

Wasn't off a bridge when I saw it, though.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I grew up in a town where the trains switch tracks, so the fastest you ever see a train going is maybe 40 mph when they're hauling rear end out of town. Most of the time they're just the source of cursing as half of the ways across town are cut off for long periods of time due to stopped trains. This made train safety videos/talks extra hilarious to us. "Look out, in 20 minutes that train might gently tap you."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
When I was in college I did a semester overseas. My friend's dad, who was a big railfan, had been there previously. He said he wanted to show me a photo album of the city I'd be living in. The entire things was pictures of streetcars and freight trains.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

This is fantastic! Classic OSHA. I skipped through it, and the re-enactments get bigger-budget as you go along - at about 3:00 there's the mom-and-kids stuck on the track, which doesn't actually show the train hitting their car but does have the dramatic white-text-on-black names of the dead. At around 7:30 a girl gets squished by some rolling stock at a yard, and while you don't see the hit you do see the fun make-up job they did to make her look crushed to death. Then at 12:30 there's the big show-stopper: a group of teenagers bolt past the back of train number 1 going right-to-left only to get smucked by train number 2 going left-to-right. You see the hit, and there's a nice pile of pyrotechnics in the car. I love the presenter, he keeps insisting that the people aren't stupid, they just didn't think. What's the definition of stupid? And he has great glasses.

A++ would watch re-enactments of idiots dying again. Fortunately, there's a whole series of these "Operation Lifesaver" videos.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Reminds me of this classic:
https://youtu.be/BqpayZ2JqlU

Almost all the "safe" alternatives would be postworthy today.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
2 kids in my high school died after getting hit by a train doing that exact thing.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1957&dat=19970623&id=iGBGAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_-cMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4286,5646954&hl=en

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

VelociBacon posted:

We had one at my elementary school called ANY TIME IS TRAIN TIME and there were no tail tracks within 50km.

My middle school had tracks running right next to the school. We didn't get any movies about safety - they were fenced off and I guess they figured anyone dumb enough to climb the fence onto the tracks deserved to get hit. But once a year we did have an evacuation drill, in case a train with something nasty in it derailed near the school. We'd basically walk out of school to a random spot a few blocks away, make sure everyone was there, then walk back.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Freight trains are bullshit. The private company hauling its trash grains from nowhere to nowhere gets 100% traffic priority over everyone driving, walking, biking, and taking the bus. Either turn every train crossing into a bridge or a tunnel.

Want me to wait fifteen minutes for a freight train? Tell me who to invoice for my time.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Freight trains are bullshit. The private company hauling its trash grains from nowhere to nowhere gets 100% traffic priority over everyone driving, walking, biking, and taking the bus. Either turn every train crossing into a bridge or a tunnel.

Want me to wait fifteen minutes for a freight train? Tell me who to invoice for my time.

Check your train privilege.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Can we invoice you for the $8-figure sum of turning each crossing into a bridge or tunnel instead? There are a few thousand of them...

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Rabble posted:

I wear transitions lenses and love them. How much longer before I'm spotting trains and creeping on children? tia

You got a driftwood chain and a GLOMP ME shirt?

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

There really isn't much reason in this day and age for trains and roads to have any interaction at all. But, you know, it would be expensive to change.

Combining two SA favourites - train chat plus elderly driver chat. There was a story 4 or 5 years ago here in the south of England about an elderly driver that turned onto the train line rather than the road parallel to it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Orlando has actually restricted freight travel to the off hours (late night and early morning) specifically because SunRail runs on the same tracks and they want to keep the commuter rail operating without stopping up the roads.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FIRST TIME posted:

I went to some half rear end christian fundamentalist grade school that was literally right next to the railroad tracks. I mean they could have put up a fence or something but instead they just warned us not to play on the tracks because we'd trip and fall and break our leg or something. Oh and there was a wetlands behind the building. That place was a loving death trap.

Stop being such a sissy. Everyone's grandparents had to get through childhood without any candy-rear end safety fences, and they all turned out fine. (Because all the kids who died aren't anyone's grandparents.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Stop being such a sissy. Everyone's grandparents had to get through childhood without any candy-rear end safety fences, and they all turned out fine. (Because all the kids who died aren't anyone's grandparents.)

If you want to create a race of supermen, take the warning labels off everything.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Here's an absolutely bizarre trend found throughout the Canadian province of Newfoundland: The Mother in Law Door

Elsewhere a 2nd floor door without a deck is OSHA. In my home province, it's a way of life. Also has an awesome name too.

Here's a taste of the wonders found inside my link:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Just last night there was a news clip on 10pm news warning about people being hit by trains. They ended the message with something simple like "just don't ever walk across tracks." What should we do instead? Go around?

• Locked thread