Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

lawyers are parasites in much the same way hard-core libertarians think police are evil men with guns who only exist to collect taxes.

yeah cops also exist to murder black men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

agreed, kill all lawyers and also all cops

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Luigi Thirty posted:

agreed, kill all lawyers and also all cops

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
a ton of lawyers have moved to word 2007/2010

expect them to still use word 2007/2010 in 2025

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid posted:

a ton of lawyers have moved to word 2007/2010

expect them to still use word 2007/2010 in 2025

this.

word perfect isn't used much any more, just because they've all been forced kicking and screaming into the world where you have to exchange docs with others digitally instead of by fax

that and none of the clerks know word perfect any more, they all grew up using word for school

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Munkeymon posted:

got a LinkedIn™® InMail™® from an 'internal recruiter' who misspelled the company name

in his signature

fuckin lmao here

got one the other day where the recruiter got my first name wrong

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Metrication posted:

got one the other day where the recruiter got my first name wrong

I have a resume up for BI/data warehousing work. I had a recruiter email me about a forklift operator job.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

take it, it'll be more fun

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ooh just got an email about a job in Galesburg, MI

just deleted an email about a job in Galesburg, MI unread

thanks for putting that in the subject or I might have been tempted to waste time reading it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

having been to Michigan, I can assure you there are no jobs anywhere in the state

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

having been to Michigan, I can assure you there are no jobs anywhere in the state

Grandma's house is still for sale.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3038799479-221-Baltic-Ave-Caspian-MI-49915

I still want to buy the poo poo out of it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

mishaq posted:

gently caress america forever

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Holy lol at america

vodkat posted:

jfc, gently caress america :negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

Grandma's house is still for sale.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3038799479-221-Baltic-Ave-Caspian-MI-49915

I still want to buy the poo poo out of it.

holy lol $30k. you can't buy a parking space here for twice that.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

dazjw posted:

yeah but you're also paying something like :siren:5%:siren: of your income in health insurance

unless :thejoke:
5% is of income is incredibly good for full health coverage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

holy lol $30k. you can't buy a parking space here for twice that.

There's no job market (unless you wanna work at some jail they built in the 00's) at all.

Honestly the dealbreaker for me is that the closest airport is Rhinelander, so you still gotta rent a car and drive 2 hours, after you get off a 2 hour puddle jumper out of Minneapolis.

If it weren't for that I'd absolutely consider it for a summertime hangout. The UP is gorgeous in the summer. Nice small towns dotting the highway, thousands of these ice cold little cutie lakes. Love it. Just a terrible place to live. And that house is built like a brick shithouse.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MeruFM posted:

unless :thejoke:
5% is of income is incredibly good for full health coverage

I expect it's going to have to go up, but yeah it'd be cheap at twice the price.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
how long before we see TV ads claiming that for just a $1 a day we can help a poor American child get running water and a primary school education?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
like seriously, can we adopt american babies to save them from their horrible country?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

like seriously, can we adopt american babies to save them from their horrible country?

good white baby goes for between .5 and 2 million dollars. Sure.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://blog.samaltman.com/bubble-talk

lol sam altman is a tool even if he's saying what any tech vc would likely say

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what if the baby is a poor?? surely there is a discount.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

I have a resume up for BI/data warehousing work. I had a recruiter email me about a forklift operator job.

i got an email asking me to apply to be an "AT&T Door to Door Sales Executive" once the dude in the email header picture looked super happy about his job

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

There's no job market (unless you wanna work at some jail they built in the 00's) at all.

Honestly the dealbreaker for me is that the closest airport is Rhinelander, so you still gotta rent a car and drive 2 hours, after you get off a 2 hour puddle jumper out of Minneapolis.

If it weren't for that I'd absolutely consider it for a summertime hangout. The UP is gorgeous in the summer. Nice small towns dotting the highway, thousands of these ice cold little cutie lakes. Love it. Just a terrible place to live. And that house is built like a brick shithouse.

the current ask me about going to prison thread OP is from MI

he got two years for silk road deals

it's a glorious cyberpunk future

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

sam altman is such a huge piece of garbage. the dude is the walking loving epitome of born on third base. gently caress him. i have a special hatred for that retard.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

triple sulk posted:

VCs writing 'seriously, ignore all that bubble talk, let's be POSITIVE' is surely a signal the bubble is about to burst right?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i hope san francisco gets destroyed somehow

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

the talent deficit posted:

VCs writing 'seriously, ignore all that bubble talk, let's be POSITIVE' is surely a signal the bubble is about to burst right?

even VCs are pretty on the fence right now http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/24/tech-bubble-maybe-maybe-not/

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

so if I am in school for cs right now I might as well toss in the towel or is it like "yeah you just won't make the 6 figgies anymore" because i just sorta like programming a computer any how and i probably wouldn't be a good nurse or barrista or whatever and i don't wannna be homeless 4 ever

on topic post: also not work for some lovely 1099 thing which seems to actually be the booming sector of the economy that will deliver us from the enslavement that is working a stable job

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Marzzle posted:

so if I am in school for cs right now I might as well toss in the towel or is it like "yeah you just won't make the 6 figgies anymore" because i just sorta like programming a computer any how and i probably wouldn't be a good nurse or barrista or whatever and i don't wannna be homeless 4 ever

learn something that's really old but still in use

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

computer parts posted:

like java

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

computer parts posted:

or Java

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

syscall girl posted:

the current ask me about going to prison thread OP is from MI

he got two years for silk road deals

it's a glorious cyberpunk future

wait did he go to prison in Michigan. I know several people who work at prisons in the UP. also several people in prisons in the UP.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Marzzle posted:

on topic post: also not work for some lovely 1099 thing which seems to actually be the booming sector of the economy that will deliver us from the enslavement that is working a stable job

if you give up now then what the heck else are you going to study in your time left that can get you a degree that's "worthwhile"?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

yeah that's p much all they teach anyway. should i avoid the perils of learning c++ or is it just like don't spend all your time learning ruby and python and i have no idea what is newer and hotter than those (and possibly node.js)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you give up now then what the heck else are you going to study in your time left that can get you a degree that's "worthwhile"?

eh i dunno, my dad got a computerish degree right around the dot com bubble and it p much impoverished our family for a bit so i freak out and think the same thing will happen to me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boxturret posted:

i hope san francisco gets destroyed somehow

you'd really need to take out Menlo Park to do any good

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Marzzle posted:

yeah that's p much all they teach anyway. should i avoid the perils of learning c++ or is it just like don't spend all your time learning ruby and python and i have no idea what is newer and hotter than those (and possibly node.js)

the only people that use c++ are people doing graphics engines and poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Marzzle posted:

ruby is already dead and the people who are still writing in 2015 are either delusional or have accepted the fact that they're gonna maintain rails 2.x apps for the next 15 years

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
ruby can't scales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

you'd really need to take out Menlo Park to do any good

well ideally i'd like take out all of california but we have to start somewhere