Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Got my first commission bonus in my new position, did some math, it works out to almost a 40% pay increase. Business here has only been expanding so it'll go up as sales do.

Going to start investing in a 401k today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just sat for and passed the PMP certification exam today! 4-day bootcamp was $1900, test was $500+ and I paid $0 since my work tripped over themselves to pay for it all (even told me to charge labor for the 4 days I was sitting in that class). Now let's see if I can turn this into a nice little promotion/raise this year. :dance:

Also found out the mortgage appraisal came back good, the mortgage was approved and we're all set to close in two weeks and I get to get out of DC and back to a nice low cost of living area. Life is good.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Higgy posted:

Just sat for and passed the PMP certification exam today! 4-day bootcamp was $1900, test was $500+ and I paid $0 since my work tripped over themselves to pay for it all (even told me to charge labor for the 4 days I was sitting in that class). Now let's see if I can turn this into a nice little promotion/raise this year. :dance:

Also found out the mortgage appraisal came back good, the mortgage was approved and we're all set to close in two weeks and I get to get out of DC and back to a nice low cost of living area. Life is good.

Way to go! I jumped on a groupon for some ridiculous $1120 online PMP prep course marked down to $80. I figured even at that price if it's not that great, no huge loss. Gonna hopefully go through the modules soon and sit for the test later this year to get my cert. Trouble is that it won't be worth poo poo pretty much at my current company (MBAs and PMPs aren't really that useful in our R&D org, anyway), but if I go looking at other companies I can see it being extremely useful to have.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nice. It's a cert that's worth its weight in gold in the right place. Feel free to PM me when you get closer, happy to help with PMI's weird way of looking at the world and their application process.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

Way to go! I jumped on a groupon for some ridiculous $1120 online PMP prep course marked down to $80. I figured even at that price if it's not that great, no huge loss. Gonna hopefully go through the modules soon and sit for the test later this year to get my cert. Trouble is that it won't be worth poo poo pretty much at my current company (MBAs and PMPs aren't really that useful in our R&D org, anyway), but if I go looking at other companies I can see it being extremely useful to have.

If it makes you feel better the PMP is a worthless cert in reality that has somehow made itself an important part of various industries.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Which industries are those? I am intrigued by this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A lot of the construction industry, many utilities, a lot of the big civil engineering consulting firms, somehow it is even getting into the software engineering (based on a bunch of my friends). I know a lot of people who have taken the PMP and everyone thinks it is a big money grab and a joke. I mean you take a 40 hour class just for the right to take the exam. I know a few people who never have done any PM work who passed the exam. It is just pretty crazy.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

spwrozek posted:

A lot of the construction industry, many utilities, a lot of the big civil engineering consulting firms, somehow it is even getting into the software engineering (based on a bunch of my friends). I know a lot of people who have taken the PMP and everyone thinks it is a big money grab and a joke. I mean you take a 40 hour class just for the right to take the exam. I know a few people who never have done any PM work who passed the exam. It is just pretty crazy.

Its huge in federal contracting.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's huge in the banking world. My old boss's wife worked for Wells Fargo, and they paid PMPs ~$110k to start.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So what you're saying is that I should get a PMP before I enhance my JavaScript/AngularJS skills...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Might as well. I see it turning into another MBA. Lots of people will get it thinking it will get them the job they want but realistically for many people you need to already have that job and it will get you to the next level. Might be a few years away but I keep seeing PMP on more and more signatures and many of them don't work in project management at all.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

PMP is already a running joke in the small/medium tech company world. Some of the worst PM's I've ever worked with were the types that put "PMP" in their business email signature as if it meant something.

But if you want to go work for some big corp, at least in the short term it might be a bit of a boost but it's not going to get you a job solely on its own. Some of our systems engineering consultants slam out a PMP certification knowing that it's just a hoop to jump through to increase the chances of getting some big-corp consulting contracts. Seems like every 5-10 years there's some new fad certification that enterprises just can't help but getting on board with.

At least it's cheaper than an MBA, I guess.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 13, 2015

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much everything said here about the PMP is accurate. I work as a federal contractor doing direct project management/project controls so that cert was basically a requirement for me to move into a real management position within my company. Now let's see if I can swing that for a real "Incremental Improvements" post.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Edit: Argh, sorry. iOS fail. *back to lurking*

bigis fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 14, 2015

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

bigis fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 14, 2015

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

bigis fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 14, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
AHHHH, I made more in February than I did my first YEAR of working. I remember that was the year I started posting in the Personal Finance thread in Ask/Tell so I'm going to go ahead and give you guys all the credit :toot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

After starting a new budget as my New Years Resolution with YNAB and sticking with it, I am finally reaching Rule 4 (live on last months income) as of April 1st. :feelsgood:

Also started throwing some of my savings money into an investment account every month.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I finally got renters insurance coverage instead of relying on the "I hope nothing bad happens to my stuff" policy. :)

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Zikan posted:

I finally got renters insurance coverage instead of relying on the "I hope nothing bad happens to my stuff" policy. :)

Our last 2 apartments required it for leasing and renewal. It's pretty cheap overall

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BossRighteous posted:

Our last 2 apartments required it for leasing and renewal. It's pretty cheap overall

Yeah, it's dirt cheap and absolutely a good idea.

Also if you already have auto insurance, sometimes renter's insurance can be basically free since you'll often get a multi-line discount that is roughly equivalent to the cost of renter's insurance.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

Yeah, it's dirt cheap and absolutely a good idea.

Also if you already have auto insurance, sometimes renter's insurance can be basically free since you'll often get a multi-line discount that is roughly equivalent to the cost of renter's insurance.

Renter's insurance paid me to have it because of the discount with 2 cars. My policy dropped by $2 a month when I added renters insurance.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

moana posted:

AHHHH, I made more in February than I did my first YEAR of working. I remember that was the year I started posting in the Personal Finance thread in Ask/Tell so I'm going to go ahead and give you guys all the credit :toot:

Yay congrats :peanut:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
After an aggravating far, far too long search, several long interviews, and many miles driven, I finally received a job offer about a week and a half ago. This is my first full time position post college and I am incredibly excited. I was so sure I bombed that interview and it was legitimately the best news I've had in a very long time. I've been on loving cloud nine since then and I can't wait to work with these people. It's the exact kind of place I wanted to start off in and the people I have met there already seem pretty awesome. I am so ready for this part of my life.

Until I come back some time later screaming about how much I hate it but I do not care!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Congrats! Even if it's poopy it will be invaluable toward shortening your future job searches.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Transmogrifier posted:

After an aggravating far, far too long search, several long interviews, and many miles driven, I finally received a job offer about a week and a half ago. This is my first full time position post college and I am incredibly excited. I was so sure I bombed that interview and it was legitimately the best news I've had in a very long time. I've been on loving cloud nine since then and I can't wait to work with these people. It's the exact kind of place I wanted to start off in and the people I have met there already seem pretty awesome. I am so ready for this part of my life.

Until I come back some time later screaming about how much I hate it but I do not care!

That's really wonderful, congratulations!

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Congrats transmo.

Got a a bump in my engineering grade today, and it came with an 11% raise [3% annual and 8% additional grade bump]. Tickled pink that they didn't combine the two at a lower rate.

This makes me one step away from the director of engineering job, and I'm 26 and have been with the company less than two years. Wow.

I took the raise and put 100.09% of it towards additional 401k and hsa savings. I effectively lowered my biweekly paycheck by 2$, but more than doubled my my previous 6% contribution to 401k to 14% and have now maxed my hsa contributions. Feels good man.

Add this to maxing the Roth for my wife and I, and her 3% matched simple IRA contribution, and I have zero complaints.

Now to actually stick to the budget via YNAB.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

100.09%
I can see why you got the promotion, not many engineers would allocate the portion of their raise going to savings out to five significant figures.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

[Crosspost from career path thread.]

I just accepted a new position that is more challenging and much better for my long term career. I am working part time salaried now, but my W2 gross was only $32k last year. The new position is $60k. Yowza! I had been at my current job for 4 years and started just before I graduated college. I never bothered to look around because I am a dope (and part time salaried work sounded cooler than it was.)

*cue Jeffersons theme*

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you so much guys. :3: I can't wait to be able to post new updates to this thread too.

BossRighteous posted:

[Crosspost from career path thread.]

I just accepted a new position that is more challenging and much better for my long term career. I am working part time salaried now, but my W2 gross was only $32k last year. The new position is $60k. Yowza! I had been at my current job for 4 years and started just before I graduated college. I never bothered to look around because I am a dope (and part time salaried work sounded cooler than it was.)

*cue Jeffersons theme*

And congratulations to you! That's a great jump.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Forgive me if this old hat to you guys, I'm originally from somewhere pretty warm:

Was talking with my landlord/roommate today, and he said to just let me know when I start getting cold in the house during the day. Apparently, the house has this built in central heating system that heats up a bunch of bricks under the house during off-peak hours with cheaper electricity, then uses that stored heat to warm it during the day. He said it takes 2-3 days to get going properly.

I had no idea this was a thing, seems pretty clever and Good With Money.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm in this weird financial situation where I have a very handsome positive equity in my condo, but my daily funds were running a bit low, so I declared March to be a No Spending Month.

Apart from gas and groceries, I have:

Sold one ancient Soekris 4801 that I didn't use anymore: +$95
Bought four spark plugs for my car, installed them myself: -$50
Gotten the mandatory biennual inspection of my car, went on a Saturday which is 40% off: -$51

I have, of course, deferred some intangible expenses (I put wear on my tires, for instance), but I think it's pretty cool and pretty eye opening how little you can get away with spending.

The next few weeks should see a full paycheck (first one since October), vacation fund payout, tax return and my paycheck for May will contain my yet-unknown raise. Cool.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Forgive me if this old hat to you guys, I'm originally from somewhere pretty warm:

Was talking with my landlord/roommate today, and he said to just let me know when I start getting cold in the house during the day. Apparently, the house has this built in central heating system that heats up a bunch of bricks under the house during off-peak hours with cheaper electricity, then uses that stored heat to warm it during the day. He said it takes 2-3 days to get going properly.

I had no idea this was a thing, seems pretty clever and Good With Money.

I never heard of that before either but that's pretty cool.

I'm in the process of cleaning and selling some things off. Should be able to get $800 or so hopefully.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Just calculated out that after my fiancee and I get married in September, my take-home pay will immediately go up by $500 a month and hers should go up by around $100 a month. Hooray for a $70k income disparity I guess :v:

Really wish we'd done a secret courthouse thing in December for a nice $6k bonus on the tax returns :negative:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Just calculated out that after my fiancee and I get married in September, my take-home pay will immediately go up by $500 a month and hers should go up by around $100 a month. Hooray for a $70k income disparity I guess :v:

Nice! Our income was such that there was actually a bigger tax burden when we got married :/ If one of us could have taken the standard deduction and the other itemized we could have gotten our 2k tax bill down to like $700. Ugh. I was so bummed when I found out both have to standard or itemize even if filing separately. But obviously our withholdings were jacked anyway so this year will be better.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BossRighteous posted:

Nice! Our income was such that there was actually a bigger tax burden when we got married :/ If one of us could have taken the standard deduction and the other itemized we could have gotten our 2k tax bill down to like $700. Ugh. I was so bummed when I found out both have to standard or itemize even if filing separately. But obviously our withholdings were jacked anyway so this year will be better.

Ouch, that's rough. Hopefully that's because you guys were both at the north end of the 25% bracket (or higher).

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

I got out of my student overdraft! It's nice to see my balance go from -£1400 to £2000+ in just 5-6 months :unsmith:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Under 10k on the car loan to go!

Ugh. :)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Just printed out the form to open an account with a stock broker. Just about to get into investing outside of the limits of the government retirement fund and p2p lending.

The recent inflow of money has knocked out most of the revolving credit for the house I bought 11 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

spwrozek posted:

realistically for many people you need to already have that job and it will get you to the next level.

This is so very, very true. I'll be writing mine later this year.

I've increased my student loan payments and will have them destroyed by October at the latest. :captainpop: