Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

your old helmet got all of the logos taken off so it's solid black and mirrored visor put on. I wear it at drop ins and it's great. Putting visors on is the worst.

I still haven't fixed the broken chin strap -- not sure if it was broken when you sent it but if not your chinstrap broke after like my second use so thanks a lot

when I get the e700 I will let you know but I think it has that occipital lock similar to the s19 without the weird rear end dimensions of the s19. i'll compare the both for you when they come in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, the E600 has the Giro fitting thingy in it as does the E700, which works pretty well. I was just worried about the actual helmet dimensions.

I wore my S19 like 3 times and as far as I know, the chin strap wasn't broken, so it must be your oddly-shaped melon.

I really really really want a mirrored visor. Tron is stupid for not making them. :argh:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I had a funny 5 minutes of hockey in my last game. We were up 1-0 against the 1st place team with 8:35 to go in the 3rd period. I was playing center and was moving to cover the second guy in front of the net when the puck squirted out from behind right onto his stick with a wide open net in front of him. So I did what any defensively minded player would do and knocked him right over (safely away from the goal posts). I drew a penalty that was 100% a penalty. My teammates understood and agreed I had no choice otherwise he would have scored. They do a great job on the PK and kill off the full 2 minutes.

It was back around in the line rotation to my line so I hopped right back onto the ice and almost immediately I find myself helping defend a 4 on 3 rush towards our net. The puck carrier managed to turn my left defender inside out so i cut back towards him to cut him off. I end up bumping him off the puck and he goes down so I drew my second penalty in a row only 23 seconds after the previous one ended. Once again it was 100% a penalty so I skate straight to the box. The other team ended up putting one in off a skate deflection from the point 6 seconds into the penalty.

The game ended up going into overtime which we won on a dump and chase forecheck play that turned out perfectly. Where I managed to bump the defender off the puck in the corner after the dump in and managed to chip a short pass to my winger to cut in towards the slot and bury a backhander from 10 feet out.

http://www.suffolkcountyhockeyleagues.com/leagues/hockey_boxscores.cfm?clientID=1627&leagueID=3299&gameID=1434929
I had a very high event game, 2 minor penalties and 2 assists. It was a ton of fun and now I miss playing checking hockey.

It's me, I am the beer league goon. :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Your league picks 3 stars of the game? That owns so hard and I would put that in my spreadsheet so fast.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

sellouts posted:

problem is it's white and I've always had a red helmet. my team is going to be lost at sea. i wonder if i can dye this thing like lacrosse players dye their sticks

just throw a red toque on the top and you're golden

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

sellouts posted:

just snagged an E700 for 2x the cost of HZ's S19. (i now use that deal as an increment for how much helmets cost)

problem is it's white and I've always had a red helmet. my team is going to be lost at sea. i wonder if i can dye this thing like lacrosse players dye their sticks

I can tell you that I once received a red helmet from somebody very, very cheap and I needed one pretty bad so I couldn't really pass it up and I did NOT want a red helmet. So, I scuffed it up real good with red scotch brite and hit it with some black spray paint. I was then the guy with the spray painted helmet but I was happier being that guy than the red helmet guy. But I scuffed and painted probably 2 coats, maybe 3 I can't really remember, and I had the thing for probably 3 years and I never repainted it and it didn't get all chipped up and lovely looking. I even gave it to a friend after I was done with it and he used it for probably a year after that and the paint never chipped so there is hope for you if you decide to go the paint route.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

just throw a red toque on the top and you're golden

This is actually funny and I may do this, however all of the retaliatory chirping might be exhausting.

This helmet is matte white so I really want to try to dye it just to make it easy.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Your league picks 3 stars of the game? That owns so hard and I would put that in my spreadsheet so fast.

They also play music during stoppages and during warmups

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

kill me now posted:

They also play music during stoppages and during warmups

Like, via a soundboard, or just somebody's iPod? Occassionally I've had a team hook up an iPod to the soundsystem before warmups.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

S

Hockles posted:

Like, via a soundboard, or just somebody's iPod? Occassionally I've had a team hook up an iPod to the soundsystem before warmups.

The scorekeeper does it from his laptop.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

kill me now posted:

The scorekeeper does it from his laptop.

With selected cropping of music, or just the first 10 seconds of songs?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Hockles posted:

With selected cropping of music, or just the first 10 seconds of songs?

Selected croppings, he's a try hard score keeper.

We keep trying to get him to play bulls on parade after our team scores but he has yet to do so

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

kill me now posted:

Selected croppings, he's a try hard score keeper.

We keep trying to get him to play bulls on parade after our team scores but he has yet to do so

Jesus. *checks phone* It's hard enough to keep scorekeepers actually *opens phone, texts* looking at the ice, let alone all that extra poo poo.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just picture the scorekeeper equivalent of one of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCOmqvWUaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXLPveilqo8

Maybe he's just really in to what he does.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kvlt! posted:

Just wanted to say, your avatar is the single best avatar I have ever seen on any internet forum.
:tipshat:

I'd probably pick up a cheap composite. I used like a $30 composite for my LTP class and it was miles better than a 14lb wood stick.

sellouts posted:

Right so just get the cheapest composite. It is not that much more expensive than wood and a beginner won't likely break it.

So what *is* a decent enough cheapo I-could-pick-this-up-anywhere composite stick I should get for my LTP class? I've got a couple-year-old Sherwood (ed: wood) kicking around I was going to use for the most part just so I could hack the poo poo out of it and not care but, hey, for $30.......

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 25, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cheap composites are pretty random, you just gotta wait for a good deal and snap it up when it happens.

Nothing wrong with a wood stick until a sale comes along. There should be some decent clearances in April when the new gear starts going on sale.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Hockles posted:

Jesus. *checks phone* It's hard enough to keep scorekeepers actually *opens phone, texts* looking at the ice, let alone all that extra poo poo.

I didn't realize scorekeepers playing music like it was a real stadium wasn't normal, everywhere I've played they did it. It owns!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My league does. Music in warm-up and between periods. They track stats for the game but don't put them into any sort of system. Fairly low key. Just got my schedule for my new leagues so I'm happy to be paying two games a week.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Most of our games were pretty low key but for the playoffs they played music between shifts and even announced goals. The league also kept track of goals and assists all year, which was pretty cool

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I'm a little late to this but new guys here are a few tips for warm ups from a goalie.
1) Watch for the puck anytime you are going behind the net. Trust no one to hit the net and not you.
2) Do not practice your sick danglez on the goalie in warm-ups. You'll either embarrass your keeper, make him pull a muscle, or just piss him off as he ignores you.
3) Do not aim high in warm ups. Hitting your own goalie in the head is one of the dumbest things you can do.
4) For the love of anything holy, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER...EVER shoot at the net as the goalie digs pucks out of the net. Pucks off of unprotected backs of knees, calves, or backs are a sure-fire way to piss off your goalie or injure him.
5) If on defense, either get entirely in front of the shot for a block or get the gently caress out of the way. Don't try to block the shot with your stick.

Just some friendly reminders from a crazy person who stands in front of people shooting six ounce chunks of vulcanized rubber. :haw:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Bradf0rd posted:

Pucks off of unprotected backs of knees, calves, or backs are a sure-fire way to piss off your goalie or injure him.

Our best shooter did this accidentally tonight. He had been shooting on the goalie and was looking down to line up his next shot when the goalie turned to dig pucks out of the net. Guy looked up just as he let the shot go and watched it clip the goalie about two inches above the back of his knee.

He rolled around on the ice laugh-crying for a bit, then got up and had one of the best performances I've ever seen from him.

Goalies are weird.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vicas posted:

Most of our games were pretty low key but for the playoffs they played music between shifts and even announced goals. The league also kept track of goals and assists all year, which was pretty cool

Our scorekeeper always plays music between whistles and whatnot.

For our championship game last week, he announced starting lines and they actually did the national anthem. It was kinda cool. Last season they even lit up the net lights when someone scored.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bigbillystyle posted:

Some guys like to hop the boards and get a little stretch in while the boner is making its final few laps,

We don't even open the gate to the ice until the zamboni is going out its gate. I've never seen people sitting on benches waiting for the zamboni.

bigbillystyle posted:

But I scuffed and painted probably 2 coats, maybe 3 I can't really remember, and I had the thing for probably 3 years and I never repainted it and it didn't get all chipped up and lovely looking.

It takes forever for that chemical smell to go away, I couldn't deal with that poo poo.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Doctor Butts posted:

We don't even open the gate to the ice until the zamboni is going out its gate. I've never seen people sitting on benches waiting for the zamboni.

It takes forever for that chemical smell to go away, I couldn't deal with that poo poo.

Does your rink have the benches across from where the locker rooms are, so that you have to cross the ice to get to them? Our rink has the locker rooms right behind the benches so it is very common for guys to sit/stretch on the bench while the zamboni is on the ice. And yes it takes a couple weeks for the hockey stench to take over paint stench but it gets it eventually.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's only one rink I'm aware of in the area that I play at that has 'direct' access to the locker room from the benches.

But none of our league games are there. Not only do our rinks not have direct access to the locker rooms but I think only one has access outside of the rink.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I went to go look up to see if the box score from my game on Monday was posted yet, and the website's database seems to be broken because they are making upgrades... one of which is 3 stars of the game.

Butts, check it out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OH. MY. GOD.

they removed the funny hockey bloopers video

That looks cool though. Whatever they're doing I hope they make it easier to export/save the schedules for next season.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Madbullogna posted:

Welp, I didn't make it to the Wed Public Skate. I felt like crap with a pounding headache, along with feeling like a steamroller drove over my neck, shoulders, and upper arms. I ended up going to the doctor earlier in the week, and was told I definitely had whiplash, and likely had a minor concussion as well. They told me to stay away from the ice/falling risks for a month, and recommended a sports therapist/masseuse for the whiplash.

Even after a couple of massages over the last few days, my neck still hurts. So no LTS for me today. Thankfully, the manager at the rink offered to just cancel the rest of my lessons, and reschedule me for the class starting up on Nov 30th. Woot, it's the small things.

Madbullogna, are you still doing LTS? I hope so.:pusheen:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is it better to learn how to properly skate forward and get comfortable with that, then learn how to skate backward, or learn both at the same time?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think it really matters, work on whatever strikes your fancy at that particular time.

Just don't fixate on the stuff that's easy, you gotta push your abilities to get any better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You won't be good at skating forward before you need to start learning how to skate backwards and you won't be good at either of those before you need to learn how to transition between the two

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Is it better to learn how to properly skate forward and get comfortable with that, then learn how to skate backward, or learn both at the same time?

In the learn to skate class I took we were doing backwards C-cut excersizes on the 3rd or 4th day. I'm pretty sure USA hockey has some sort of standardized manual for instructors/rinks to follow, so I would think most major rinks follow the same path.

Then again I just met a 13 year old last week who was playing for the Jr. Kings AA Bantam club and he said he learned to skate backwards first and he was amazing so who knows. Do want you want and push yourself.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Learn everything at once, seems like every skill feeds into other skills. Just skate as often as you can and push your limits every time you go out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Last game of the season tonight. Two subs. NHL sized ice. I am going to hurt tomorrow

I think I might fnially be working out the mechanics of a proper wrist shot. If somehow I could get some ice to shoot like 1000 pucks I'd be sure. Is there some sort of fake ice shooting platform I could get for practice in our parkade in the off season?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bilirubin posted:

Last game of the season tonight. Two subs. NHL sized ice. I am going to hurt tomorrow

What size ice do you usually play on?

Olympic ice is the one you should be worried about.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

D C posted:

What size ice do you usually play on?

Olympic ice is the one you should be worried about.

Yuuuup. We play on Olympic and had two subs last week. The other team probably had fifteen people total and did a full change at every stoppage. That was fun. 40+ minutes TOI on Olympic kicks your rear end.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yo sellouts, where can I get a sick mirrored visor like yours? I don't see them anywhere these days.

Literally the only ones I've found are on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIRRORED-Hockey-Visor-PRO-CUT-Anti-Scratch-/221726501585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339fedead1

But have no idea if those are decent or not. It's weird how they just up and disappeared.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I only got mine on hockey giant a while ago.

I asked the online chat if Bauer was going to make more or what year it was and the guy said "not sure on year, we found 6 of these in an unlabeled box in the warehouse and put them up. We can't order more"

I bought it then without knowing how or what helmet I was going to put it on.

Aside from A+ absolutely douchiness its a much better visor than tron. Doesn't fog and super clear.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Yo sellouts, where can I get a sick mirrored visor like yours? I don't see them anywhere these days.

Literally the only ones I've found are on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIRRORED-Hockey-Visor-PRO-CUT-Anti-Scratch-/221726501585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339fedead1

But have no idea if those are decent or not. It's weird how they just up and disappeared.

i think the obvious next step here is to just buy a clear visor and then mirror tint it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I actually emailed oakley to see if they'd tint it like they do with their ski goggles and they said no.

HZ: step the game up and get something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIRRORED-BL...=p2047675.l2557 . It is so gaudy and amazing.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 27, 2015