Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boxturret posted:

well ideally i'd like take out all of california but we have to start somewhere

yeah, start with Menlo then, at least the stretch of Sand Hill from Santa Cruz to 280: the funding dries up, and the people keeping them from going totally insane disappear from their boards.

warn me first so I can get my family out of the city limits though, OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

uncurable mlady posted:

the only people that use c++ are people doing graphics engines and poo poo

i mean i am sorta starting to turn in the direction of some "high performance" type of stuff in what i guess you'd call computational biology or bioinformatics or whatever since thats what my background is in and it seems like the fast stuff is usually in c++ but i sorta feel like being able to work with computers and biology at the same time might just be a pipe dream and the world only wanted people to grind out insurance or financial or whatever the usa is supposed to be doing software (presently 1099 stuff like uber just literally creating jobs so horrible you have to "long tail" the labor force to eke a profit and skirt the oppressive minimum wage and obama care laws that keep you from making poors take out loans to finance your poo poo company)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

relevant ad

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
a piss networks

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Marzzle posted:

i mean i am sorta starting to turn in the direction of some "high performance" type of stuff in what i guess you'd call computational biology or bioinformatics or whatever since thats what my background is in and it seems like the fast stuff is usually in c++ but i sorta feel like being able to work with computers and biology at the same time might just be a pipe dream and the world only wanted people to grind out insurance or financial or whatever the usa is supposed to be doing software (presently 1099 stuff like uber just literally creating jobs so horrible you have to "long tail" the labor force to eke a profit and skirt the oppressive minimum wage and obama care laws that keep you from making poors take out loans to finance your poo poo company)

have you considered the exciting field of research computing? enjoy getting a phd in CS so people will take you seriously

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I mean, really the best thing you can do is not worry about the language you focus on in school and instead focus on Object Oriented concepts, learn pointer math, and know how to handle a relational database, you'll probably be fine. Because really

Nintendo Kid posted:

ruby can't scales

and if you know Java and OO like the back of your hand, everything else will pretty much fall into place.

Oh, and being able to string a coherent sentence together to explain a technical thing to a non-technical person.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep

learn to whore the data. knowing how large datasets are managed these days is a huge leg up and will get you at least entry-level just about anywhere rn

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Marzzle posted:

there is more to the world than working in insurance or big garbage baby bubble crap.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Like, as far as I can tell, the easiest way to 6 figures $big $money is to put in your time in the trenches while proving that you are more than a "beep boop" programmer and then start making moves towards a management position. Although once you move one step above "finishing tickets for the sprint" you stop coding altogether so :shrug:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

learn and apply a variety of programming languages including c++

do not wait for your school to teach them to you

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

Like, as far as I can tell, the easiest way to 6 figures $big $money is to put in your time in the trenches while proving that you are more than a "beep boop" programmer and then start making moves towards a management position. Although once you move one step above "finishing tickets for the sprint" you stop coding altogether so :shrug:

good managers are actually useful and cool its a shame they barely exist

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uncurable mlady posted:

one of my favourite things about FB is that there's a bunch of manager training, and it's a prereq for actually managing. if you're not excited by the "this is what your time is spent on" stuff after the training, keep coding! it pays the same!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah. my old manager here was really great but then he got promoted to director of a different department so I hardly see him anymore. now I don't have a manager. sad times.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

one of my favourite things about FB is that there's a bunch of manager training, and it's a prereq for actually managing. if you're not excited by the "this is what your time is spent on" stuff after the training, keep coding! it pays the same!

hey i'm gonna be there on thursday if you want to grab some lunch

bbq shack at noon? let's do it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Boxturret posted:

well ideally i'd like take out all of california but we have to start somewhere

lol, we're the only state with our poo poo together

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

how's that work out for you guys, because that's the first thing i've ever read about facebook that puts a mark in the 'positive' column

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah. my old manager here was really great but then he got promoted to director of a different department so I hardly see him anymore. now I don't have a manager. sad times.

my old manager at this new place was kinda creepy and got canned after like 7 months but holy poo poo i miss having a manager because now we're directly managed by one of the co-founders and he's pulled in like 80 different directions

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
your dad probably hosed the family finances by working for startups and taking equity in lieu of pay. hint: don't take equity in lieu of pay if you work at a startup

the entire "sharing" economy could explode without significantly hurting anything for programmers beyond their ability to call a cab. uber has something like a thousand actual employees worldwide, but based on their job board maybe 5% of them are programmers

technologies are shifting constantly but the field overall is very healthy. your programming degree will get you a good job for another twenty years at least. at worst salaries will drop half a pretty deece figgie and you'll end up with a job that's still in easy range of upper middle class

but nothing but death is certain

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

as long as prop 13 remains in force california does not have its poo poo together, by definition

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

duTrieux. posted:

hmm. you might be confusing california with minnesota.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Elder Postsman posted:

hmm. you might be confusing california with minnesota.

yes the state that's elected a senator who does colloidal silver, a pro wrestler as governor and another senator who died in a plane crash.

yeah totally have it together.

edit sorry, the colloidal silver guy was montana

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beast of Bourbon posted:

yes the state that's elected a senator who does colloidal silver, a pro wrestler as governor and another senator who died in a plane crash.

p
r
o
p

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beast of Bourbon posted:

paul wellstone was a saint

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Marzzle posted:

if you want to do compbio find a lab at your uni doing compbio and beg for a student job / volunteer

career-track its not required to be a phd but it helps

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
California gave us Reagan, and for that, we will never, ever forgive you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
all states that require majorities larger than 50% plus 1 to pass tax increases are hosed
all states that have "balanced budget" requirements are hosed
all states that passed the TABOR "taxpayer bill of rights" model laws in whole or in part are hosed
all states that require excess tax income to be immediately rebated instead of being saved for future contingencies are hosed
all states that have prop 13 or prop 13-alikes are hosed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fishmech is super right

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

California gave us Reagan, and for that, we will never, ever forgive you.

also nixon, who in comparison to reagan looks pretty loving good

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

all states are hosed
all states are hosed
all states are hosed
all states are hosed
all states are hosed

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beast of Bourbon posted:

hey i'm gonna be there on thursday if you want to grab some lunch

bbq shack at noon? let's do it.

I'm on vacation, but I'll come in. sold! (I'll even go to the sweet shop if you ask nicely.)

uncurable mlady posted:

how's that work out for you guys, because that's the first thing i've ever read about facebook that puts a mark in the 'positive' column

it works very well, IMO. I've had probably a third of the manager-thinking people I've directed to that training bounce because they realized that they weren't that into the mechanics of management, which is itself a success. mostly though I like that it signals that we expect managers (and the company) to invest in being great managers, and that we'll evaluate them accordingly.

at the risk of overshare: I hosed up a reorg of my ~120 person group embarrassingly one half, and it disrupted the teams involved a fair bit, and so I got the "-1" rating that half; reduced bonus/raise/equity (which everyone gets), several talks about how I was going to improve, etc.. managing is real work at FB, and not just taking credit for others' stuff. I've been tempted at times to go back to being an IC, because having all my impact be indirect can be exhausting honestly.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

also nixon, who in comparison to reagan looks pretty loving good

HST's Nixon eulogy should be chiseled into the front steps of the White House as a warning to the others, but Reagan was pretty close to the Devil in a suit

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

all states are hosed

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

as long as prop 13 remains in force california does not have its poo poo together, by definition

relative to the other states, i mean.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

all states are bad, just go to a less bad one.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

california is great

the pilot on my heater has been out for years and idgaf because i live in a habitable clime

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also our governor owns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

duTrieux. posted:

california is great

the pilot on my heater has been out for years and idgaf because i live in a habitable clime

lmfao

you idiot

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
regan wanted to make an orbial death ray so he's okay in my book

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

relative to the other states, i mean.

new jersey, new york, masschusetts, minnesota and vermont all have their poo poo together better than california.

i mean yeah california has their poo poo better together than florida or texas but that's not an accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

duTrieux. posted:

the pilot on my heater has been out for years

lol, this explains your posting

• Locked thread