Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

wait did he go to prison in Michigan. I know several people who work at prisons in the UP. also several people in prisons in the UP.

i don't believe it was in UP but idk from michigan geography

i believe he's from detroit(?) because he was talking about # mile roads with another michigan con goon, but then i don't recall where they got sent, usually prisons are in the boonies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
unbelievable fail snipe

sonofa

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Munkeymon posted:

holy poo poo

milk is only 122 g/lb according to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/food-water-footprint_n_5952862.html

also eggs: 395 (and chicken: 528) so you could drink eggnog and it'd waste less water than fuckin almond milk

pound for pound beef uses less water than almonds

quote:

Beef requires the most water, at 1,847 gal./lb

quote:

almonds and cashews...averaging 1,929 gal./lb.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Marzzle posted:

i am already doin this, is exp more important than gpa? if it's academic exp rather than corporate? i have p 3-3.5 gpa which a lot of people say is just completely unviable but pos plz be my career counselor because i am an idiot hell fucker babby

nobody reasonable cares about your gpa after you land your first job and keep it like a grownup

get some experience so you can show you know how to work with other peoples' code and not just link a list because someone already wrote that and you're going to have to figure out how to use it

also calm down drat - you're probably in the right field if you can swing a B-B+ gpa and aren't leeching off of classmates

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

coc goons love to make it out like if you don't assemble a literally perfect resume by the time you graduate college you'll never find a job but that's simply not true. pass your classes, get a little experience, figure out what specifically interests you, and get out there. you probably won't get everything you want in a first job but each one adds more to your skill set that'll let you aim a little closer in a few years

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

his writing was mediocre, hst was the applebees of the opinion papers

rofl. yea he sucked balls, i know much better and hell, write better too - what with my computer science degree.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Marzzle posted:

i am already doin this, is exp more important than gpa? if it's academic exp rather than corporate? i have p 3-3.5 gpa which a lot of people say is just completely unviable but pos plz be my career counselor because i am an idiot hell fucker babby

closer to 3 or 3.5? cuz that's a huge range

either way it's a manageable number tho

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
for grad school apps you need above a 3.5 unless you're already a published researcher. for real jobs you're fine with 3.0+ as long as you ace the interview. unless it's some human being company like google that wants your transcripts, nobody cares, they just use 3+ to filter out the losers

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
people should read proud highway if they want to come at hst, imo

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

syscall girl posted:

i don't believe it was in UP but idk from michigan geography

i believe he's from detroit(?) because he was talking about # mile roads with another michigan con goon, but then i don't recall where they got sent, usually prisons are in the boonies?

yeah there's a few prisons in the UP. you can find them by looking at that racial dot map because they're the only areas with black people in them.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

carry on then posted:

coc goons love to make it out like if you don't assemble a literally perfect resume by the time you graduate college you'll never find a job but that's simply not true. pass your classes, get a little experience, figure out what specifically interests you, and get out there. you probably won't get everything you want in a first job but each one adds more to your skill set that'll let you aim a little closer in a few years

good advice imo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Marzzle posted:

so if I am in school for cs right now I might as well toss in the towel or is it like "yeah you just won't make the 6 figgies anymore" because i just sorta like programming a computer any how and i probably wouldn't be a good nurse or barrista or whatever and i don't wannna be homeless 4 ever

on topic post: also not work for some lovely 1099 thing which seems to actually be the booming sector of the economy that will deliver us from the enslavement that is working a stable job

alright i keep seeing this pop up so i think it's time for a yospos psa:

:siren: there will not be a 2001 style 'burst' this time around :siren:

we aren't nearly at the heady highs that the tech industry was at back in the late 90s and we probably won't ever be again. also all the money flowing into the valley is privately owned so what you'll see is individual investors/institutions quietly give up / lose patience / run out of money and back out and the garbage companies that couldn't make money anyways will dry up. said companies going under will have a negligible impact on the tech labor sector- the only people who will feel it will be in the valley itself and all they'll feel is a tremor.

if you're learning a worthwhile stuff in school and end up working for a company that Makes Money you'll be fine. stop worrying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thank you for 400 million boring words of bullshit necco we appreciate it

im jk that was a little harsh. ilu bb

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

when people talk about this bubble bursting they really just mean all the paper wealth from ridiculous valuations of companies like uber, airbnb and snapchat is going to disappear. probably it gets a lot harder for companies to raise series A's and B's but solid companies will still get funded. all the bullshit incubators and bootcamps that rely on cash rich startups trying to buy their way to an ipo or acquisition are probably hosed too. decent programmers are still going to get paid though. it's not like we'll need less software

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

thank you for 400 million boring words of bullshit necco we appreciate it

im jk that was a little harsh. ilu bb

i just get worried when the yospos babies don't realize when we're being hyperbolic and get might get scared away from a lucrative career in tech-

actually no you guys should run away from this poo poo pile as fast as you can. don't look back. trust me.

save yourselves

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marzzle posted:

so if I am in school for cs right now I might as well toss in the towel or is it like "yeah you just won't make the 6 figgies anymore" because i just sorta like programming a computer any how and i probably wouldn't be a good nurse or barrista or whatever and i don't wannna be homeless 4 ever

on topic post: also not work for some lovely 1099 thing which seems to actually be the booming sector of the economy that will deliver us from the enslavement that is working a stable job

learn a popular/important language that's still going to be popular eight years from now (so java or some flavor of c, basically), and then either move to california, get yourself balls-deep in some open source garbage poo poo, or start learning how to lie on your resume, because entry-level programming jobs don't exist east of the valley. decent programming jobs exist everywhere but only the very heart of the bubble is so desperate for programmers that they'll give those jobs to basically any white or asian male who can pronounce the word "code". in the actually civilized parts of the us, you need to be able to show or fake a couple years of real-world experience

oh yeah, and if you're not a white male then go change your loving major right now, women and minorities get a hella raw deal in tech right now

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
As long as you write software (or do EE or MEC) and have an internship (or some other work xp) you'll be fine because there will always be $$$ to be made automating other people's jobs.

Unless you do phd work on AI. gently caress you for trying to automate my job.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

the talent deficit posted:

when people talk about this bubble bursting they really just mean all the paper wealth from ridiculous valuations of companies like uber, airbnb and snapchat is going to disappear. probably it gets a lot harder for companies to raise series A's and B's but solid companies will still get funded. all the bullshit incubators and bootcamps that rely on cash rich startups trying to buy their way to an ipo or acquisition are probably hosed too. decent programmers are still going to get paid though. it's not like we'll need less software
yeah the bubble companies will get blown away, but they dont really employ that many people (unlike 2001, when the downturn emptied out whole office buildings and campuses). all that app 3.0 disruption nonsense could disappear overnight and intel and cisco and google and facebook and apple and the rest of the companies in the f500 will still be hiring and paying programmers and it people

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

learn a popular/important language that's still going to be popular eight years from now (so java or some flavor of c, basically), and then either move to california, get yourself balls-deep in some open source garbage poo poo, or start learning how to lie on your resume, because entry-level programming jobs don't exist east of the valley. decent programming jobs exist everywhere but only the very heart of the bubble is so desperate for programmers that they'll give those jobs to basically any white or asian male who can pronounce the word "code". in the actually civilized parts of the us, you need to be able to show or fake a couple years of real-world experience

oh yeah, and if you're not a white male then go change your loving major right now, women and minorities get a hella raw deal in tech right now

that doesn't sound true at all.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
babie yospos undergrad : boy i can't wait to graduate and get a real computer job!

me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7bHCs_iu9w

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
learn some sort of trade skill

refine it and specialize in a subskill that makes money without too much danger, if any

get better at it

thats the only advice i would have for anybody showing up at the endless serial gangbang that is adult life

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

JewKiller 3000 posted:

for grad school apps you need above a 3.5 unless you're already a published researcher. for real jobs you're fine with 3.0+ as long as you ace the interview. unless it's some human being company like google that wants your transcripts, nobody cares, they just use 3+ to filter out the losers

i am a middle author on like 2-3 pubs so far (but it's all evolutionary biology stuff and some of it is wet lab) and the thing i am tryin to do should give me a 1st author paper before the end of the year so i hope to apply to grad schools in the fall so i dunno maybe it'll be OK?

also sorry pos for bein a nevous goony goon but you always give it to me straight :shobon:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

thats the only advice i would have for anybody showing up at the endless serial gangbang that is adult life

just depends what role in the gangbang you want to play :q:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
lol @ anyone calling hst a bad writer. fear and loathing in las vegas gets overhyped but fear and loathing on the campaign trail 72 is one of the better campaign books ever written

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Marzzle posted:

i am a middle author on like 2-3 pubs so far (but it's all evolutionary biology stuff and some of it is wet lab) and the thing i am tryin to do should give me a 1st author paper before the end of the year so i hope to apply to grad schools in the fall so i dunno maybe it'll be OK?

also sorry pos for bein a nevous goony goon but you always give it to me straight :shobon:

dbl check w/ trig, but you're deffo on the right track

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

born on a buy you posted:

lol @ anyone calling hst a bad writer. fear and loathing in las vegas gets overhyped but fear and loathing on the campaign trail 72 is one of the better campaign books ever written

vegas was the thing that put him on the pop culture radar and it was silly and hyperbolic but with a solid core about how loving stupid the hippies were

his political stuff is relatively dry but super sharp

even if you only like his sports journalism he was a force to be reckoned with

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

theflyingexecutive posted:

dbl check w/ trig, but you're deffo on the right track

is trig a yosser?

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Necc0 posted:

actually no you guys should run away from this poo poo pile as fast as you can. don't look back. trust me.

save yourselves
this, at least until the "bubble bursts"

i would rather fewer solid companies with an "east coast culture" than involves, oh idk, actual salaries and hr policies than 1 million startups full of live-to-work techbros

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Marzzle posted:

is trig a yosser?

trig discipline is an cool guy

he does marine science stuff out of outer buttfuck australia

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah but specifically evo bio, you've probably cited one of his papers

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Marzzle posted:

is trig a yosser?

yes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Marzzle posted:

is trig a yosser?

plz czech the style guide, the preferred nomenclature is "shitposter" or more rarely "yosposter"

also plz dl the latest yospos.xlsx so that you can get up to speed w/ cjs

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

plz czech the style guide, the preferred nomenclature is "shitposter" or more rarely "yosposter"

also plz dl the latest yospos.xlsx so that you can get up to speed w/ cjs

hp where is the webzone for yospos.xlsx

tori either has an intense memory or really good notes bc he always dropping burns on me that hurt

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

now imagining tori searching his evernote for 'poo poo idiot mido'

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

i can kinda remember what avs are which sorta like a crow can remember the face of a man who was cruel to it or maybe gave it a b of corn or something

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Marzzle posted:

i can kinda remember what avs are which sorta like a crow can remember the face of a man who was cruel to it or maybe gave it a b of corn or something

that's been my experience as well

tori cmos used a mist net to take down a lot of yossers and then tagged them all with pirates logos

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
i kept thinking "why is everyone ragging on harry s truman?"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Marzzle posted:

i am a middle author on like 2-3 pubs so far (but it's all evolutionary biology stuff and some of it is wet lab) and the thing i am tryin to do should give me a 1st author paper before the end of the year

you'll do fine then - being actually published puts you above ~95% of cs grads as far as "I'm actually not a moron in a suit" points go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Munkeymon posted:

you'll do fine then - being actually published puts you above ~95% of cs grads as far as "I'm actually not a moron in a suit" points go

i was under the impression that industry software peeps just didn't really care about publications at all and you shouldn't put them on a resume but you are probably talkin' bout grad schools

• Locked thread