Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Na, bitmap is this dude: http://thethirstydude.tumblr.com

I suddenly need to find the answer to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bitmap posted:

naw, not me...reminds me more of banque's stuff

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yup, it's banque for sure. Found the same image on his tumblr.

I was thinking about his stuff a few months ago as well and couldn't remember who it was.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Are there any websites/apps that allow you to rotate simple objects (spheres, cylinders, etc.) on any axis? I've got a few objects sitting around that I use for checking foreshortening, but holding them up all the time to get the right angle can be a bit cumbersome at times.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vermain posted:

Are there any websites/apps that allow you to rotate simple objects (spheres, cylinders, etc.) on any axis? I've got a few objects sitting around that I use for checking foreshortening, but holding them up all the time to get the right angle can be a bit cumbersome at times.

Google Sketchup is good for this kind of stuff. They even have an online collection of all kinds of objects you can import (landmarks, buildings, cars, etc) for 3d reference. It's a 3d modeling program but it was made to be easy to learn for the layperson.

landy.
Jan 20, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I probably should've listened to soundmonkey and come to this thread first. Anyway, I've been trying to draw as a hobby, but I don't really know where to begin. I don't know if there's some kind of exercise I can practice at to get good at this? Or should I just go for it and see what mistakes I make and fix those? I could really use the advice.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

landy. posted:

I probably should've listened to soundmonkey and come to this thread first. Anyway, I've been trying to draw as a hobby, but I don't really know where to begin. I don't know if there's some kind of exercise I can practice at to get good at this? Or should I just go for it and see what mistakes I make and fix those? I could really use the advice.

Draw everyday, draw from life. Cheap paper, pencils or charcoal.

Some books (Can pick one of these to help if you want. Loomis is prob my favorite but they are all good and useful.):

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201
http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Drawing-Andrew-Loomis/dp/0857687611
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Anatomy-Artist-Stephen-Rogers/dp/0195030958
http://www.amazon.com/Bridgmans-Complete-Guide-Drawing-Life/dp/B00E6TNT0O

If there are any life drawing classes in your area try them out.

Don't forget to have fun.

Draw everyday.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Could a grammar nerd help me out? What's the proper sentence:

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial to prepare me to become the most talented, well-rounded writer I’m capable of achieving.

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial to preparing me to become the most talented, well-rounded writer I’m capable of achieving.

Or something else entirely?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Could a grammar nerd help me out? What's the proper sentence:

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial to prepare me to become the most talented, well-rounded writer I’m capable of achieving.

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial to preparing me to become the most talented, well-rounded writer I’m capable of achieving.
Or something else entirely?

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial in becoming the most well-rounded writer I can be.

You can't *become* talented.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

NancyPants posted:

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial in becoming the most well-rounded writer I can be.

You can't *become* talented.

Thanks. See, I really do need outside help to becoming talented I am!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Very broad question here, but any tips on travel sketching? I'm going sightseeing in Japan so it should be a pretty fun chance to draw stuff I don't see every day. I'm not inclined to bring anything that would require setup/take too long/be messy though (eg: paints).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is it viable to break into comics as just a writer? Can anyone speak to whether Image's submission process is worth going through or a grueling hell (since they seem to be the only publisher that takes unsolicited submissions for writing)? If it's awful, would my next best bet be finding an independent artist to work with?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is it viable to break into comics as just a writer? Can anyone speak to whether Image's submission process is worth going through or a grueling hell (since they seem to be the only publisher that takes unsolicited submissions for writing)? If it's awful, would my next best bet be finding an independent artist to work with?

It is tremendously difficult to get into mainstream comics as a writer if you don't already have some kind of writing credentials/agent/etc. Though if you find respectable companies that accept unsolicted submissions and you are confident you have something that can get their attention then it prob wont hurt to try. However, If you aren't established in some way it prob wont be easy, no matter what you are going to have to hustle to get noticed in a creative career. Not trying to discourage you but just stressing that it can be very difficult to get your start.

Best thing you can do is try to put out some quality work to get you noticed. Working with an artist can be a great way to do this but there are a few caveats you should be aware of. Writers/Idea people who want people to illustrate their grand epic for free or (potential returns/fame/milliooons of dollars when they make it big) are a dime a dozen. So, unless you already have a professional working relationship with an artist, getting one will not be a trivial matter. Any artist with the chops to execute your comic to your vision is going to be very wary about entering in a partnership that doesn't pay them by the page for their work.

So given that, you have a few options that might help out:

1) Write short stories, maybe even novels and other kinds of written work and send them to places that accept submissions. Getting published gets you money and writing credentials. Getting stuff out there gets you readers and a market. If you have a market, you prove that your writing style is salable which will make you much more attractive to big companies. Not to mention if you have a big enough fan base, you can just work for yourself.

2)Get an agent. This can help you get writing gigs, which can include comics and illustrated books like children's books. They will be able to hustle on your behalf and get you out there. However you have to prove to an agent that your work is worth representing so this requires submissions and hopefully getting some publishing creds beforehand. Also there are predatory agents out there so do your research. (Remember, you NEVER pay an agent. They get a cut of the money when they sell your work to the publisher. If they make a living from fees from clients they are either an outright fraud or at least hack enough that they cant make a living by representing their writers/artists.) Mind you, you don't need an agent, but a good agent can be very helpful so it is worth at least considering the pros/cons of getting one.

3) Pay an artist whose style you think is great for your comic to draw it for you. Make a contract. This is going to be a long term collaboration and a good contract will make sure that both parties are protected in case something goes wrong. It helps a lot if they like the work and believe in the vision as it'll help your collaboration and lead to better work. Make sure the artist is capable of meeting deadlines and will provide quality work. In return you should compensate them fairly with actual money that reflects the considerable time and effort involved. Do a lot of research, iron everything out in the contract and leave nothing to chance. Going into comics for yourself means you need to get some business savvy, especially if you intend to one day make a living doing this stuff.

The only other option I can think of is to try to do the art yourself. However if you only want to write, then I suppose that's not the most attractive route. It's worth mentioning that art doesn't have to be great for you to get a following especially if your writing is top notch. While its a dated example, Brian Clevenger got his start by using sprites and while I would not advise that for a comic in 2015, it's worth saying that simple art that effectively communicates your story can work. Hyperbole and a half, and order of the stick (whether you hate or love it, Burlew raised over 1 million on kickstarter so that's something worth noting) and others have proven you don't need fully rendered, super fancy art to get a following. And if you have a following you have a market and a way to make a living with your comics. That would also help with getting an industry job if that's your ultimate goal.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 31, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Scrivener-using goons, how do you get your compiled files to represent italicized text as italics rather than as underlined text?

I get that it's an (older?) convention related to preparing manuscripts for publishing, but it's not a feature I need.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Hello CC, I'm thinking of upgrading my graphic pen/tablet but am overwhelmed by the choice (I used to have a Graphire 1). What's is a good mid-tier tablet for a casual artist (just scribbling on SAI and similar programs)?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The Graphire line was rebranded as "Intuos," not to be confused with Intuos Pro, which is what the real Intuos line used to be. Argh!

But anyway people also say good things about the Monoprice/Huion Chinese tablets you can get on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

Pretty much go to frenden.com and read his reviews.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Awesome, thanks! That was a much needed pointer - I'm completely out of touch with digital art stuffs.
The Huions look very reasonable, and are much cheaper over here in AUS than Monoprice/WACOM so I'll look into them.

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
Does anybody have any recommendations for tablet PCs? I'm thinking of purchasing a used Microsoft Surface Pro 2 because it runs Windows that I can (most likely) put Flash on and is compatible with the Wacom Bamboo Stylus. I hate using a drawing tablet for Flash on my laptop and I don't want to dish out the big bucks for a Cintiq, so the Surface Pro 2 seems like a really good alternative. I may consider the Surface Pro 3, but I don't think the Bamboo Stylus works for that.

Not really interested in a Bamboo stylus compatible tablet that runs Android because I'm not entirely sure I can put Flash on there and if I can drag files around; however if you can put Flash and stick a USB in it, then maybe. Thanks in advance!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

schmarson posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for tablet PCs? I'm thinking of purchasing a used Microsoft Surface Pro 2 because it runs Windows that I can (most likely) put Flash on and is compatible with the Wacom Bamboo Stylus. I hate using a drawing tablet for Flash on my laptop and I don't want to dish out the big bucks for a Cintiq, so the Surface Pro 2 seems like a really good alternative. I may consider the Surface Pro 3, but I don't think the Bamboo Stylus works for that.

Not really interested in a Bamboo stylus compatible tablet that runs Android because I'm not entirely sure I can put Flash on there and if I can drag files around; however if you can put Flash and stick a USB in it, then maybe. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, you have it right. Surface Pro 2 is the one with the wacom digitizers so if that's the way you want to go that would be your best bet. Surface pro 3 uses N-trig, which aren't digitizers I've used but just cause it's not wacom doesn't mean it's bad necessarily (UC logic drivers at least are pretty drat good for being non-wacom though I don't know any tablet PCs that uses them). I know there are a few goons here who have a surface pro 3 so maybe see if they'll chime in to comment on how it performs.

If you haven't seen it, here's a Frenden review for the pro 3

http://frenden.com/post/90779846937/microsofts-surface-pro-3-vs-wacoms-cintiq

(I could have sworn frenden had a review for the pro 2 as well but I cant find it for the life of me. But here's another reviewer that is comparing it to a cintiq)
http://blog.oneofthejohns.com/2013/11/07/surface-pro-2-vs-cintiq-companion/

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 7, 2015

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, you have it right. Surface Pro 2 is the one with the wacom digitizers so if that's the way you want to go that would be your best bet. Surface pro 3 uses N-trig, which aren't digitizers I've used but just cause it's not wacom doesn't mean it's bad necessarily (UC logic drivers at least are pretty drat good for being non-wacom though I don't know any tablet PCs that uses them). I know there are a few goons here who have a surface pro 3 so maybe see if they'll chime in to comment on how it performs.

If you haven't seen it, here's a Frenden review for the pro 3

http://frenden.com/post/90779846937/microsofts-surface-pro-3-vs-wacoms-cintiq

(I could have sworn frenden had a review for the pro 2 as well but I cant find it for the life of me. But here's another reviewer that is comparing it to a cintiq)
http://blog.oneofthejohns.com/2013/11/07/surface-pro-2-vs-cintiq-companion/

Hey thanks so much for the links! I feel a lot more informed now, but will probably wait a week or two before making an amazon purchase. Both reviews were great and so I think if I can get a cheap used surface pro 2 I'll be a happy camper. The cintiq companion looks really nice though, but I don't think I'm ready to make that kind of investment yet.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The next Surface is rumored to be coming with Windows 10 this fall.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Is there a photoshop/image manipulation help thread anywhere? I'd like some tips on how to do something specific and can't find any tutorials.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Posting here is good.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Posting here is good.

OK great, thanks!

So I'm pretty new at all this and I'm trying to do an edit of the Event Horizon poster (like the one on this page with the faces https://fanart.tv/movie/8413/event-horizon/) where I'm trying to stick someone's face onto the head on the right. Using Paint.net but I imagine the concepts are fairly universal.

I imagine I need to do something along the lines of smoothing out the features of the original face and then sticking the new face into a new layer and then playing around with the opacity? Trouble is, the new face is from an ordinary photograph so all the hues/colours are completely different to the poster.

Any ideas most appreciated!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lamont posted:

OK great, thanks!

So I'm pretty new at all this and I'm trying to do an edit of the Event Horizon poster (like the one on this page with the faces https://fanart.tv/movie/8413/event-horizon/) where I'm trying to stick someone's face onto the head on the right. Using Paint.net but I imagine the concepts are fairly universal.

I imagine I need to do something along the lines of smoothing out the features of the original face and then sticking the new face into a new layer and then playing around with the opacity? Trouble is, the new face is from an ordinary photograph so all the hues/colours are completely different to the poster.

Any ideas most appreciated!

I was bored, so here you go.

A quick, non-perfect example I did in Photoshop, no idea how you'd do it in Paint.net, but here's generally how you want to approach it.

1) Find an image of Steve Urkel. The face should be in roughly the same position (in this case somewhere between a full frontal and a 3/4 view). Rotation doesn't matter.
2) Paste it over top of whats-his-face's face and rotate / resize until the eyes and mouth line up.
3) Using the eraser tool with a pretty soft edge, delete the background.

4) Copy and paste the face into a new document and change the colors to tri-tone to roughly match what you're looking for (in this case, a medium blue, black and white). Don't worry about the extra little bits, you can clean them up later.

5) Paste this new copy of the face back onto the poster.

6) Using a levels layer, get the light and dark tones to match the original image, and a selective color layer to pop up the cyan in both the cyan and blue channels. I sort of half assed it so that it's close, but not quite perfect. If I cared enough to go back and edit it again now that I've already written out this entire post, I'd pop the cyan up some more.

7) Using the eraser tool, clean up the edges a bit (do a better job than I did).

e: I also added some noise to the Urkel face between step 4 and 5 since there's some grain on the original faces.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 10, 2015

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

kedo posted:

I was bored, so here you go.

Wow, thanks so much! Will have a go at this in the morning!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's the best way to go about mixing up my own vibrant acrylic paint colors? Do I need to start buying straight up pigment? Where do I buy what I need?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm talking to a website who wants well-researched historical articles. They're offering about 25 dollars for a 1500 word article as a baseline. More words and more research means higher pay, but they weren't specific about how the rates scale. I'm sure I can negotiate better rates, but I have no frame of reference. I have to add though that while this job is in my field, I don't actually have any experience doing this.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
How many words do you write per hour? If it's less than 800, that's a terrible rate.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

How many words do you write per hour? If it's less than 800, that's a terrible rate.

Depends on the article they want me to do. If I have some knowledge of it already it might be fast, if not it will take a bit more. Either way it's absolutely not sustainable at those rates, but I don't feel comfortable immediately asking them normal professional rates when I have nothing to show them. I'll probably try to go up to 35 dollars for 1500+ words for the first two articles and go up on the pretext of having to do more research (they were specific that they would scale for time spent researching, in some way), but I'm wondering if that's a strategy that actually works.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I want to get better at art, but I'm unable to take classes. Yes, even evening life drawing classes. I'm also unable to easily go sit in a cafe and draw people and other such life drawing exercises (I'm disabled and pretty much housebound).

What are my options for teaching myself art?

Also, any tips on not wrecking my already hosed up right hand are also welcome.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Still lifes still lifes still lifes

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

This! and when you need to mix it up a little you can add in some self portraits and master studies too.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

chthonic bell posted:

I want to get better at art, but I'm unable to take classes. Yes, even evening life drawing classes. I'm also unable to easily go sit in a cafe and draw people and other such life drawing exercises (I'm disabled and pretty much housebound).

http://www.quickposes.com/
http://artists.pixelovely.com/
http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

neonnoodle posted:

:doh:

I used to do those all the time when I was a kid getting art lessons. I should start up again.

JuniperCake posted:

This! and when you need to mix it up a little you can add in some self portraits and master studies too.

I'm not really sure how to approach master studies, though. :( Also self-portraits are gonna be hard due to a lack of an appropriately-sized mirror, but I'll get over that hurdle at some point.

I knew about pixelovely and posemaniacs, but not about the others! ProkoTV looks especially useful. Thank you very much. :)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I am starting to get into Lampworking (Glassblowing on a small torch instead of a furnace) and I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a website/book to learn how to make complementary sets of colors. Some sort of color theory? book idk.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chthonic bell posted:

:doh:

I used to do those all the time when I was a kid getting art lessons. I should start up again.

I'm not really sure how to approach master studies, though. :( Also self-portraits are gonna be hard due to a lack of an appropriately-sized mirror, but I'll get over that hurdle at some point.

No worries, just do what you can that is easy with what you have. So if you dont have the set up to do a self portrait easily just wait until you do before worrying about it. Nice thing about drawing is so long as you are drawing from life, almost anything works. Crumpled paper even can make for a great exercise so definitely go with convenience.

For master studies you tend to want to go for them with a specific goal in mind. For instance if you are looking at a line drawing with ink, you might want to examine how they hatch or how they vary line weight to define shapes, etc. Then once you complete the study it's good to try the technique you studied in an original piece and see how it works. Basically the idea is explore, experiment and have fun. Try things, keep the stuff that works well, discard the stuff that doesn't.

Master studies are also an excellent way (arguably the best) to study composition. Noah Bradley uses master studies for that purpose and he has a very lengthy video on it if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q
You don't need to watch all of it though, for black and white he covers most of the stuff fairly early on in the video the rest is a walk-through of the process and then a part addressing color studies which is good too but I'd start with black and white first personally.

By the way, don't get tempted to sign up for his art camp. As far as I can tell its defunct now and not worth the money. This video is free so that's good but i don't think the high price tag is worth it for the other videos. Proko and the Gnomon workshop folks sell videos for much cheaper and their stuff is just as good if not better if you want the concept art atelier kind of instruction.

Goodness:
I got started on fusing and slumping glass recently and gently caress glassworking is super addictive. If you want some intro to color stuff, why not play around with : http://www.paletton.com/ You can set up various color schemes and it's pretty simple to use. Paint mixing (if you like painting anyways) is a pretty nice way to learn color if you got the time though. Rule for complements is basically, if you have any primary then the complement will be the other two primaries mixed together. (so red's complement is yellow + blue which is green) So if you need to find any color's complement, just look for the color at the opposite side of the color wheel and that will be it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 21, 2015

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

chthonic bell posted:

I'm going to jump on bandwagon of recommending still life. I used to think still life paintings and drawings were deathly boring until I discovered some excellent still life artists. I recommend checking out David Cheifetz's works.

As far as protecting your right hand, try changing grips so that you're drawing mostly from the shoulder. This gives you the added benefit of working in broad, smooth strokes, rather than short chicken scratch lines with the fingers. I tend to use the violin grip. It takes practice, but it's well worth the effort. Here's a decent article on the subject:

http://chiseledrocks.com/main/musings/topics/how_to_hold_the_pencil

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
This might be an unpopular opinion around here, but I don't think online figure drawing reference sites are useful for those learning how to draw. They can be helpful pose references if you're doing a comic book or some other scenario where you want to check some details of a particular pose. For someone learning the fundamentals, however, drawing from photographic reference is harmful. It's better to draw ANYTHING from life--your own hand, your computer mouse, your chair, etc.--than to draw from a photo, even if the photo is of something more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion around here, but I don't think online figure drawing reference sites are useful for those learning how to draw. They can be helpful pose references if you're doing a comic book or some other scenario where you want to check some details of a particular pose. For someone learning the fundamentals, however, drawing from photographic reference is harmful. It's better to draw ANYTHING from life--your own hand, your computer mouse, your chair, etc.--than to draw from a photo, even if the photo is of something more interesting.

That might be sarcasm and my radar is off but I think you'd get a lot of agreement on that point. There are some things photos are good for but basic observational skills (being able to simplify a 3d shape into a 2d image and visualize that) is definitely not one of them. So drawing from life is really important especially when you are starting out.

Photos also screw up values and color in really terrible ways particularly if the lighting isn't ideal (tends towards more harsh values, more washed out/flat colors, etc). You can lose a ton of complexity and depth from that. Here's an example: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2013/10/arkansas-river-painting-vs-photo.html

Btw Gurney's blog is a great resource with lots of stuff on painting and pretty much everything else. Not to mention while you browse through it you find gems like this from time to time: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2013/11/high-speed-photos-of-dogs-shaking.html