Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Splode posted:

Same for me until the election. Honestly my local branch seem fine and really nice, the woman I spoke to to organise HTVs was extremely friendly and reasonable. It's the surrounding electorates (looking at you Newtown and Balmain) who seem to think that because they might actually win they have the right to steal everybody else's volunteers and harrass anyone who might possible help them out.

God bless Summer Hill I guess. I get emails from Newtown but I've only had a few calls in response to me registering for volunteering on the website from Summer Hill. I definitely see them being disorganised, it took me awhile to get arranged to volunteer and I never got to hand out at train stations in summer hill despite asking and speaking on the phone about it. The summer hill greens have always been super friendly and appreciative of what I've done which is great for me because now I'll probably make more effort to go to meetings and be involved with them. Summer Hill is also a great electorate that I love living and working in so I enjoy meeting more of the community here whereas doorknocking in Newtown was nice but I try to avoid the area.

Hopefully they get their poo poo together in the big gap from Sunday to the federal election. There seem to be a few places things could tighten up and improve. Anyone going to the NSW Greens election party Saturday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I have a job, Liberals rise in federal polling: Coincidence?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nuclear Spy posted:

Which side of the CBD is this happening? It would help us with recommending an alternative place in the meantime.

Doesn't really matter all that much, because there's gently caress all go kart places left, but the place at Richmond and then up the road to the Wheatsheaf was my suggested plan. Proximity to the CBD is the key.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Remind me never again to go to Auspol on twitter.

WHAT DID YOU DO?

Anidav posted:

I have a job, Liberals rise in federal polling: Coincidence?

Congrats!

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Birdstrike posted:

WHAT DID YOU DO?

Looked at faceless coalition voters twitter accounts.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSd58zoi4ek

"I never said that"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-...325-1m7b7u.html

This is the dumbest thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

lmao if you're not up to date on the latest youtube superstars, lid

for shame

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Hahahaha

quote:

She gained a significant amount of online notoriety in 2012, when she released a video responding to a Facebook comment that she should not be so judgmental towards other diets and that what people ate was "none of her business".

"When your obese brothers and sisters get stuck on the stairway on 9/11 preventing fit people from getting through and surviving you make it part of my business," Ratcliffe said in the video, which was published by US website Gawker under the headline, "Is this the worst person on the Internet?"

quote:

Freelee is Leanne Ratcliffe, a Queensland-born Adelaide resident whose date of birth is unknown because she prefers to say she was born in 2012, the year in which she adopted veganism.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Doesn't really matter all that much, because there's gently caress all go kart places left, but the place at Richmond and then up the road to the Wheatsheaf was my suggested plan. Proximity to the CBD is the key.

I organised a grand prix thing for my mates bucks day last year, was a fun afternoon.

If you have enough people that you are alternating every five laps, a fun thing to do is make the buck drive by himself. After 90 or so laps he'll be completely hosed.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

lol, Ratcliffe is the real life version of Brie Bella.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 25, 2015

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
NSW peeps please don't be absent minded this weekend and just vote one bairdback. Otherwise who knows what crazy poo poo will happen!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

quote:

You might have seen her consume 51 bananas during a video she made last year about a typical day in the life of the Banana Girl

e:

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 25, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im voting in Cook so I basically have a liberal staffer standing over me making sure I put a 1 in the Liberal box and shakily hand him my ballot paper.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Laserface posted:

Im voting in Cook so I basically have a liberal staffer standing over me making sure I put a 1 in the Liberal box and shakily hand him my ballot paper.

If you make it into a tick at least it won't count right?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Pred1ct posted:

Hahahaha

Queensland born Adelaide resident

God help us all

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't like your tone, ABC.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Graic Gabtar posted:

My office lives on travel. We talk about this often. Preferred way to travel based on what people around me seem to do:

1) Own car
2) Uber
3) Don't
4) Taxi

Taxis are poo poo. Taxis are hosed. They will go the way of any other outmoded technology.

I've been OK with you posting here till this but kill you are self.

One of my best friends is a paraplegic and is reliant on taxis to do things like shop for food so she doesn't die. If you think saving a dollar or two on a trip is worth people literally starving to death because they can't get in your scammy mode of transport then you really are a worthless piece of poo poo.

Please never let us meet in real life because I will beat you into a bloody pulp.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What will happen if Uber launches car services for the disabled too? Is it possible? Is it legal?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Birb Katter posted:

One of my best friends is a paraplegic and is reliant on taxis to do things like shop for food so she doesn't die. If you think saving a dollar or two on a trip is worth people literally starving to death because they can't get in your scammy mode of transport then you really are a worthless piece of poo poo.

Please never let us meet in real life because I will beat you into a bloody pulp.

:stare:

I wouldn't have suspected taxis to be so divisive, but here we are.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
taxis are the new bike helments

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

What those two girls seem to have is a failure to communicate

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

bowmore posted:

so many words

"Sums up" isn't the phrase I'd use.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

Not really a reaction I would have expected to be honest.

And your possible defence that I simply had to be beaten to a bloody pulp because I said Uber was OK might not be as awesome as you first thought in the cold light of day.

Some perspective please. I honestly don't give a poo poo about the price of Uber. I care more about that the ride arrives, a driver can be rated by passengers so people can avoid some idiot or arsehole, the cars don't stink like poo poo, the drivers are usually very polite, they don't loving complain about poo poo I don't care about the whole way, they offer me a bottle of water, etc. etc.

I've had enough poo poo experiences with Melbourne cabs (and my wife has had worse) to know I don't want anything to do with them. You can complain to the cab company and get no-where, you can complain to the Taxi Commission and get nowhere slower.

They have Uber and Uber Black. Obviously it's not as easy to get into for accessible vehicles but someone could do it, and your friend might get some better choices as the taxi industry gets a very loving deserved shake up.

I appreciate that you have been OK with me posting here (thanks) but you're going off for no good reason.

Are you from Melbourne?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Endman posted:

:stare:

I wouldn't have suspected taxis to be so divisive, but here we are.
I'm convinced now that SA has so many threats of real life violence thrown about that they have just lost all meaning.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 25, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm convinced now that SA has so many threats of real life violence thrown about that they have just lost all meaning.

I'll kill you!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

I'll kill you!
Join the loving queue arsehole!

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

auzdark posted:

Metadata legislation debate is on at the moment - Ludlam started off with extremely valid concerns... I had to turn off because it's making me too angry.

I'm looking forward to the day a security breech happens and the scary Chinese get all our data.

Lol - like it won't be an offence punishable by 20 years to even talk about it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Join the loving queue arsehole!

*walks to the back*

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

*walks to the back*

Some of you look like you are carrying signs to let me know why you are lining up to kill me.

That's pretty cool.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Anidav posted:

*walks to the back*

The que of people wanting to complain about your posting.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWa0WmMo-1Y

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yep

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

homebrew posted:

The que of people wanting to complain about your posting.

Come on now, I'm not that bad!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What are the chances federal government departments go on strike? CPSU seems a bit mild mannered for my liking.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

Not really a reaction I would have expected to be honest.

And your possible defence that I simply had to be beaten to a bloody pulp because I said Uber was OK might not be as awesome as you first thought in the cold light of day.

Some perspective please. I honestly don't give a poo poo about the price of Uber. I care more about that the ride arrives, a driver can be rated by passengers so people can avoid some idiot or arsehole, the cars don't stink like poo poo, the drivers are usually very polite, they don't loving complain about poo poo I don't care about the whole way, they offer me a bottle of water, etc. etc.

I've had enough poo poo experiences with Melbourne cabs (and my wife has had worse) to know I don't want anything to do with them. You can complain to the cab company and get no-where, you can complain to the Taxi Commission and get nowhere slower.

They have Uber and Uber Black. Obviously it's not as easy to get into for accessible vehicles but someone could do it, and your friend might get some better choices as the taxi industry gets a very loving deserved shake up.

I appreciate that you have been OK with me posting here (thanks) but you're going off for no good reason.

Are you from Melbourne?

the only thing entertaining about your posting is your name so please post as I post, which is not

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Anidav posted:

Uber is so much better and if there was a less scummy offspring that replaced the Taxi Industry, it'll be for the better.

I'm not going to provide a staunch defence of the taxi industry. But, at a minimum, it's regulated and there are a lot of laws and rules guiding its operation to ensure that its forced to operate in a way that protects some vulnerable populations. Honestly, I'd be in favour of nationalising the taxi industry altogether to ensure that these needs can continue to be met but also ensure that the taxi companies themselves can't operate in a way thats exploitive to its workers (or prohibitively expensive). Uber is a step in the wrong direction, it fixes the problem of cost and convenience by massively inconveniencing the disabled which is a really lovely trade off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Can Uber legally cover the disabled? I'm not saying the free market will fix it but could it legally try? (and probably crash and burn and be outlawed)

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Anidav posted:

Can Uber legally cover the disabled? I'm not saying the free market will fix it but could it legally try? (and probably crash and burn and be outlawed)

Not easily. In general you can't just take a car off a car lot and put a sign on to run it as a taxi, there are a number of legally required modification that need to be made first to comply with the taxi plate. Additionally there are ongoing operational requirements, service schedules, stuff like that which uber is not required to comply with. The only way to make uber comply would be to require each driver retrofit their car with these modifications to bring it to code and require they maintain their schedule of maintenance and I can't imagine casual staff who are picking up a couple extra bucks on the weekend would be willing to do this. These rules are designed for the safety of the public; you want only well maintained cars with a certain safety rating to be operating as much as taxis are run, anything less is inviting trouble.

That said, Australian taxis are modified much less than North American cabs; Toronto is in the process of retrofitting a plastic barrier that separates the front seats from the rear due to a rising number of assaults on drivers (they already have these barriers in place in New York and other US cities). Again, Uber does not need to comply with these requirements which fails to take into consideration the fact that these requirements actually do serve a public good.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What are the chances federal government departments go on strike? CPSU seems a bit mild mannered for my liking.

CPSU won't do it so much in a government department generally because when the department strikes, people who rely on those services tend to suffer. It has to be pretty loving bad for strike action to happen (and it'll probably get there with Eric loving Abetz heading the negotiations) but when it does the government usually realises very fast how bad poo poo can get.

• Locked thread