Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Serrath posted:

Not easily. In general you can't just take a car off a car lot and put a sign on to run it as a taxi, there are a number of legally required modification that need to be made first to comply with the taxi plate. Additionally there are operational requirements, service schedules, stuff like that which uber is not required to comply with. The only way to make uber comply would be to require each driver retrofit their car with these modifications to bring it to code and require they maintain their schedule of maintenance and I can't imagine casual staff who are picking up a couple extra bucks on the weekend would be willing to do this

I think Uber Black might be the niche willing to do such things but I'm not an Uber expert. Merely curious if Uber PR have addressed such issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yes when I think of "well maintained, high safety rated vehicle" the first car I see in my head is a Sydney taxi :rolleyes:

Doesn't uber have account information for the passenger and the driver, meaning if either of them do something inappropriate they will be easily identified and therefore deterred from doing so?

I'd imagine they'd have to have credit card info on file even if the users have false names in there.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Anidav posted:

I think Uber Black might be the niche willing to do such things but I'm not an Uber expert. Merely curious if Uber PR have addressed such issues.

Uber introduced Uber Wave in the US which was meant to link people needing assistance with handicapped accessible cabs. In practice, this has failed to meet demand in pretty much every North American city it's been introduced in because, shockingly, not many drivers who work for Uber are willing to carry the modifications required to service this area of need and Uber's model doesn't really allow them to "force" their drivers to. With the existing taxi companies, they have a legal requirement to have a certain proportion of taxis wheelchair accessible. I don't see how you could place a similar restriction on Uber and expect them to meet that requirement; they're limited to the cars made available to them by the people who choose to work for them.

According to this article from a couple of months ago, in spite of introducing Uber Wave a year ago in New York, Uber does not have a single wheelchair accessible car among its fleet of 12,700 cars.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly the taxi industry in brisbane and sydney are both hot loving garbage and they really need some serious reform and I don't really buy most of the poo poo coming out of their mouths. That said, the solution isn't to just let Uber compete unrestricted in the marketplace, it seems pretty clear that it needs to be regulated to the same extent as taxis and if it can't compete with the taxi industry once its subject to the same level of regulation it can just gently caress off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CrazyTolradi posted:

CPSU won't do it so much in a government department generally because when the department strikes, people who rely on those services tend to suffer. It has to be pretty loving bad for strike action to happen (and it'll probably get there with Eric loving Abetz heading the negotiations) but when it does the government usually realises very fast how bad poo poo can get.

From what my girlfriend has said they consider other forms of industrial action first, like work to rule.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yes, I hate Uber for what it means in regards to the lack of regulation but I'm a poor rear end Uni Student and Uber Drivers don't take the Clem 7 or the Airport Link toll tunnels like Taxi's always do so that they can always add another tariff on top of your base fare. Uber drives you there, Taxi's drive you there but will make it more expensive through all means necessary.

Campbell Newman's tunnels have made the Taxi Industry in Brisbane far worse because they seem to have an absolute desire to use tolled paths to destinations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

When I was in Sydney, I swear there were like 4-7 Cab companies. Every time I hailed for a cab, mroe than two brands would pull over for me. In Brisbane there's only two cab companies as far as I'm aware.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

When I was in Sydney, I swear there were like 4-7 Cab companies. Every time I hailed for a cab, mroe than two brands would pull over for me. In Brisbane there's only two cab companies as far as I'm aware.

Black & White and Yellow are the two taxi companies in Brisbane. And yes, drivers will take you the way that gives them the best fare possible, as long as it's "reasonable" to take that route. Tolled roads, driving 10-15k's slower than the speed limit and going longer routes are just par for the course.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Anidav posted:

Taxi's drive you there but will make it more expensive through all means necessary.

A taxi passenger has the right to decide on the route taken.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What are the chances federal government departments go on strike? CPSU seems a bit mild mannered for my liking.

Or maybe a go-slow? I've been waiting almost 15 weeks for a notice of assessment from the ATO.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If you are poor in Brisbane, why are you taking taxis?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because sometimes there just isn't a bus there. Like there are suburbs in Brisbane that simply have no public transport. I know, it boggles my mind too. We're apparently the most expensive Public Transport nationwide and some suburbs just don't have it.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

CrazyTolradi posted:

Black & White and Yellow are the two taxi companies in Brisbane. And yes, drivers will take you the way that gives them the best fare possible, as long as it's "reasonable" to take that route. Tolled roads, driving 10-15k's slower than the speed limit and going longer routes are just par for the course.

There are a lot of regulations against running up the fare; in theory, these regulations exist to protect the public against this sort of behaviour. If these regulations aren't being followed, though, that's obviously a good argument in favour of closer scrutiny and better accountability. But the state of affairs doesn't exist for lack of rules, it's just that these rules aren't being followed.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Did I ever post the story about how when I was getting out of hospital I saw two cab drivers get into a screaming match at each other at the pick up area of the RBH after they both tried to get the same dude on crutches as a fare? Literally signed up for Uber that day and as bad as I feel about it, the fact that a huge percentage of taxi drivers seem to appear to have severe personality disorders or psychotic tendencies is a huge part of why most people I know use uber. The cheaper fares are just a bonus.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 25, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Aw shucks, I'm down to one ALP buddy on Facebook. 5 deleted me after I suggested that Albo should've voted down the data retention bill rather than crying in shadow cabinet meetings.

EDIT:
:stare:

Anidav fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 25, 2015

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Because sometimes there just isn't a bus there. Like there are suburbs in Brisbane that simply have no public transport. I know, it boggles my mind too. We're apparently the most expensive Public Transport nationwide and some suburbs just don't have it.

Brisbane has the 5th highest public transport costs in the world by one measure (cost of a 5km trip to the CBD), following Oslo, London, Liverpool and Stockholm.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/translink-fare-hike-to-make-brisbane-australias-most-expensive-20140103-30910.html

Mr Chips posted:

Or maybe a go-slow? I've been waiting almost 15 weeks for a notice of assessment from the ATO.

I would love if public servants started a good work strike. The ATO could write off some taxes owed by low income individuals, Centrelink workers could ignore any messages from JSA's to cut off recipients.

A go-slow would punish a lot of the wrong people, I feel, although it would probably work for the ATO.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

euler posted:

Brisbane has the 5th highest public transport costs in the world by one measure (cost of a 5km trip to the CBD), following Oslo, London, Liverpool and Stockholm.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/translink-fare-hike-to-make-brisbane-australias-most-expensive-20140103-30910.html

It also has one of the largest served areas of public transport in the southern hemisphere. Gold Coast up to Sunshine Coast, and from Capalaba out to Helidon.

The zone system requires a major rework, and there needs to be a concession for the unemployed (concessions only exist for disabled, pensioners and students).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, Brisbanes fare costs blow my mind.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a tip, just be a well dressed white dude and have a student friend buy you a concession card and presto, 50% off all public transport travel

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Here's a tip, just be a well dressed white dude and have a student friend buy you a concession card and presto, 50% of all public transport travel

Doesn't work here, since ticket inspectors in Sydney are remarkable open-minded about who could be a potential fare-evader.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
do NOT gently caress with any parameters of my system or it will fail miserably and you will get a fine and possibly arrested if you do anything except say "yes sir i'll take my fine now"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Doesn't work here, since ticket inspectors in Sydney are remarkable open-minded about who could be a potential fare-evader.

Oh yeah I felt like I didn't have to include the disclaimer this system only works in QLD for obvious reasons

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Here's a tip, just be a well dressed white dude and have a student friend buy you a concession card and presto, 50% off all public transport travel

Yeah that works...until you get caught. And Brisbane has a near army of ticket officers now days.

Also there's a major crack down on exactly that happening, the last government made a huge deal about people getting student concessions they weren't entitled to and "robbing" the system of the fares they should be paying.

They also introduced their own student concession card, on top of the Go Card and the student ID you need. So as a student you need literally three different cards to travel on public transport in Brisbane. The QLD government also tried to put in their own definition of full time student, meaning if you weren't enrolled in four subjects at Uni you would not be considered a full time student (Centrelink only requires you to be in three subjects).

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 25, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

euler posted:

I would love if public servants started a good work strike. The ATO could write off some taxes owed by low income individuals, Centrelink workers could ignore any messages from JSA's to cut off recipients.

A go-slow would punish a lot of the wrong people, I feel, although it would probably work for the ATO.

Errr no if the ATO workers did a go-slow they wouldn't write off debts as the integrity of the system is way too serious to gently caress around with, they'd just do their work at a snails pace which tbf would drive their KPI obsessed management to suicide so win-win.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been doing it since the introduction of the gocard, catch public transport 6 days a week and still have never gotten a fine despite being scanned by ticket inspectors countless times so you can hate all you want but it works

Also if you thought it was only QR staff that are human loving garbage here's something else for you:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/feb/27/university-suppressed-study-into-racism-on-buses-and-victimised-its-co-author

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Tommofork posted:

Errr no if the ATO workers did a go-slow they wouldn't write off debts as the integrity of the system is way too serious to gently caress around with, they'd just do their work at a snails pace which tbf would drive their KPI obsessed management to suicide so win-win.

That might be true but I wasn't suggesting they would write of debts as part of a go-slow. That doesn't make sense.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also if my system doesn't work for you I have another system to complement it where you just accumulate a huge amount of government department debt, defer it all to SPER, wait until it gets to an insanely unmanageable amount and then agree to pay back 20 dollars a week and just catch public transport for free as well as park whereever you want that isn't a towaway zone because as long as you're actually paying back a steady weekly amount to SPER they really don't give a gently caress

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I've been doing it since the introduction of the gocard, catch public transport 6 days a week and still have never gotten a fine despite being scanned by ticket inspectors countless times so you can hate all you want but it works

Also if you thought it was only QR staff that are human loving garbage here's something else for you:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/feb/27/university-suppressed-study-into-racism-on-buses-and-victimised-its-co-author

You realise that as a result of posting this, you're very likely going to get caught soon? You'll get one that'll ask to see your TTCC and Student ID. I've been checked like, three times and been asked for my cards all three occasions.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey to any QR inspectors that read the something awful forums, I hope you know you are literal human garbage and I saw you sucker punch that homeless dude on the goodna train this morning when you thought nobody was looking

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Didn't they just introduce the Tertiary Transport Concession Card to catch people doing this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

What happens when they ask to see your student cards?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They don't bother because I'm always super polite and smile when they ask me to scan my go card and don't act suspicious or weird

Also the new card isn't designed to stop people from doing what I do, certain student cards have always been invalid ID for a concession card, its just the new card is designed to be a standard card you can show rather than just having the excuse "I didn't know my student card wasn't valid for a concession ticket"

euler
Oct 14, 2008

My tip for free/cheap public transport is if you get caught by an inspector, hop off the train and walk away. They can't detain you.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

They don't bother because I'm always super polite and smile when they ask me to scan my go card and don't act suspicious or weird

Yeah, you're exactly the guy they're targeting too, fyi.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

euler posted:

My tip for free public transport is if you get caught by an inspector, hop off the train and walk away. They can't detain you.

Wrong, SNO's (Senior network officers) in QLD have the authority to detain you until police arrive.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are you actually annoyed at me for getting away with this because I hate to break it to you but they're not targeting me, they're targeting students of institutions that don't qualify as valid concessions for public transport, thats the whole point of the new card you dingus, the situation for people like me is exactly the same as it has been for years

euler
Oct 14, 2008

^^ People are trying to save you from a fine, I think. Free transport for everyone IMO

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wrong, SNO's (Senior network officers) in QLD have the authority to detain you until police arrive.

My mistake, good to know. My tip did work for me once, many years ago. I guess the rules changed or they weren't seniors.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I save about 30 bucks a week so while I'll probably cut my losses the first time I ever actually get caught, I'm pretty sure I don't need Something Awful to prevent me from making bad decisions, I actually thought that was our "thing" and I'm kind of bummed nobody has even commented on the thing I posted about getting around parking/transport fines by basically paying a weekly SPER fee which is something real people do every day and is way more insane than me utilizing my white privilege and general amicability to get a 50% discount on public transport

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Also if my system doesn't work for you I have another system to complement it where you just accumulate a huge amount of government department debt, defer it all to SPER, wait until it gets to an insanely unmanageable amount and then agree to pay back 20 dollars a week and just catch public transport for free as well as park whereever you want that isn't a towaway zone because as long as you're actually paying back a steady weekly amount to SPER they really don't give a gently caress

This is a terrible terrible plan in the long run financially as there is a $60 lodgement fee applied to each individual fine (as far as I was made aware when we worked with them) edit:in case it's not clear, that fee each time is added to your debt. Argue with the issuer for a reduction in the fines if you have that many of them (and if you're really lucky only the agreed lowered amount would go to sper anyway)

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Are you actually annoyed at me for getting away with this because I hate to break it to you but they're not targeting me, they're targeting students of institutions that don't qualify as valid concessions for public transport, thats the whole point of the new card you dingus, the situation for people like me is exactly the same as it has been for years

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-03/scott-emerson-says-students-will-not-have-to-prove-12-hours-ttcc/5235076

quote:

"It's those who have been rorting the system who have been claiming to be full-time university students and haven't been."

No, the LNP government was VERY clear in their intended target for the TTCC and the increase in SNO's and QR ticketees on the network. It was aimed to crackdown on people who were traveling on a student concession who weren't entitled to such, i.e you. Personally I think if you get away with it, that's cool. But at some point you won't, you'll get caught. Maybe you've saved more in concession fares than the fine will cost, if so you come out ahead a little.

If you legit do this or think it's an edgy way to scam the system, you're just a moron, "Yeah I got away with all that, I ONLY HAVE TO PAY BACK $20 A WEEK until the entire debt is paid off!". Over time you're paying insanely more than the actual cost of getting your proper fare or paying for parking would have cost. Congratulations for being dumb.

• Locked thread