Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've been enjoying this season so far. The first two episodes were okay, the third was pretty drat good. I just rewatched the first episode and while some might consider the concept episodes overdone, I'm personally hoping for a Ghostbusters' themed episode guest starring Chevy Chase:

Abed posted:

Jeff said last year he saw a Pierce hologram. None of the rest of us have ever seen it. So if there's a Pierce ghost on campus, I'd like to get a head start on busting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

This season feels like it could be really good, but just feels kind of thin at the moment. Half the characters at any given time feel like they don't really belong there. On the other hand I actually really liked season 5, for the most part. I really wish Meow Meow Beans had been a two-parter :negative:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Frankie is a great addition.

Elroy should've Winger'd that candy price speech. I don't find him believable as an oblivious old guy.

I'm sure the season is ramping up to a campus-wide revolt against the study group (Leonard, Garret, Vicki, etc) . I'd be okay with an "against impossible odds" Aliens/300/Zulu/Blackhawk Down/Fury paintball battle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Frankie is a great addition.

Elroy should've Winger'd that candy price speech. I don't find him believable as an oblivious old guy.

I'm sure the season is ramping up to a campus-wide revolt against the study group (Leonard, Garret, Vicki, etc) . I'd be okay with an "against impossible odds" Aliens/300/Zulu/Blackhawk Down/Fury paintball battle.

Frankie is pretty awesome. It seems like they are taking random bits from the main cast and tossing it into her as an amalgam of some sort. She has Jeff's pessimism when talking about hope, and even talks about it in a Winger manner. She has Annie's crazy organization and drive, and even some of Abed's interpersonal skills. So far it seems that Annie has butted heads with her over these traits, so I wonder if other characters will start to have conflict as well.

As for Elroy, I didn't seem him as trying to be oblivious. On screen that was like the first or second time he had even seen or met Annie, so the whole "were you close?" thing actually makes sense. I think the most interesting part of this season will be how they fold those two into the group and what crazy things we discover about them.

Also, there was already an anti-study group episode, I prefer the background jokes to a full on episode let alone a season arc.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Here's something funny I didn't see anyone mention, they made a video of a little celebration they had in honor of 100 episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzvHIil7gg

a bunch of people were wearing this shirt:

However Dan and Chris McKenna were wearing this shirt:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Yeah, the year with the gas leak was rough

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Lord Of Texas posted:

Awesome character development for Annie, and a nice moment for Britta that some will write off as a throwaway gag but I think really goes a long way to showing her as something other than a sad-sack punchline.

Except for the floor is lava episode Britta's has been dumped on pretty consistently and it's getting really old imho, I roll my eyes whenever they half-rear end another lameduck bumble gag for her.

Aside from that complaint I've felt that this season hit the ground door running; I've laughed pretty hard every episode. Community's still got it :allears:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The Tokyo kid gag was great

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dugong posted:

The Tokyo kid gag was great

one day you will be as small as me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brawnfire posted:

one day you will be as small as me

I thought the father's speech was pretty well-written. It seemed super-dramatic and literary.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it was a really cool tonal shift, the speech felt straight out of a Murakami novel. In general this episode was really good and hilarious.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it really feels like they're wildly playing up the "britta's entire existence and life is a joke" factor so far

wonder if that's gonna build up to something. it feels like it keeps happening as a buildup for something involving how wildly dark that is as a concept but it never seems to really come to fruition, it's just kinda like that

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The first two episodes were ok, but that one felt like good old fashioned season 2 stuff.

I really, really enjoyed that episode.

Frankie is meh, but Elroy cracks me up.

Britta Britta'ing her pants had me in stitches when I realized what happened.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Not only did I love the whole Tokyo subplot, I really appreciated how the subtitles were actual translations of the actual Japanese lines they were delivering.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Frankie is meh, but Elroy cracks me up.

Frankie is season 1 Jeff. Jeff's gone over into the wackiness of Greendale, Frankie still has some of that outsider's innocence. It's a good dynamic to have, even if she herself will never be anyone's favorite character.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

kayakyakr posted:

Frankie is season 1 Jeff. Jeff's gone over into the wackiness of Greendale, Frankie still has some of that outsider's innocence. It's a good dynamic to have, even if she herself will never be anyone's favorite character.

I disagree. Frankie is a cartoon straight-man. She's board-stiff and intentionally "boring" - as explored in the first episode. No one talks like that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought they spelled Frankie out pretty clearly. She seemed well-spoken, reasonable, and completely normal within the context of Greendale but when she went to interview elsewhere in the "real" world it became obvious she's as broken an outcast as anyone else on the show.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What was Pillars of Garbage supposed to not-be ? It was not-[a famous song], right?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm going to assume Gillian Jacobs was off filming Girls (or something else) the week this was shot, hence her small part.

Also FYI, on this week's Harmontown Sunday night, Dan said "Well, we start shooting the finale tomorrow, and we have no script!" So we have that to look forward to.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You people complaining about Britta being poo poo on have obviously never seen the league.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Holyshoot posted:

You people complaining about Britta being poo poo on have obviously never seen the league.

They jam a League ad on the front of Itunes episodes of It's Always Sunny... Is the show actually any good?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Holyshoot posted:

Or Parks and Rec. I enjoyed the show overall but I will maintain until my dying day: It was incredibly sloppy and lazy comedy writing the way they leaned on the Jerry Sucks theme.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
After six years of this show, I still can't decide if Alison Brie annoys me or not. I do know that I never want to hear her say "YOU GUUUUUUYYYSS-UH!!" ever again.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

prefect posted:

They jam a League ad on the front of Itunes episodes of It's Always Sunny... Is the show actually any good?

It's alright.

It's the kind of show that you won't really love but you can rely on each episode to have a couple good jokes.

The episodes where the ancillary characters have significant screen time are by far the best episodes. (Partly because there's less football advertising and partly because they get to be weirder with side characters.)

I don't watch football so that might affect your viewing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It has Nick Kroll, Jason Mantzoukas and Paul Scheer basically being dicks to eachother for 20 minutes an episode. Mix in some sports jokes and it's a good show to watch with some friends and beers

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

pwn posted:

Or Parks and Rec. I enjoyed the show overall but I will maintain until my dying day: It was incredibly sloppy and lazy comedy writing the way they leaned on the Jerry Sucks theme.

But jerry has an amazingly hot wife and daughters and a great family he goes home to so that balances it out. Britta has a family we met once?! That are pretty cool.

prefect posted:

My point being Andre gets poo poo on way harder then Britta ever will. And yes the league and always sunny are amazing. Better quality then community imo. Especially always sunny who did some crazy poo poo with continuous shots a few episodes back. And Charlie day is awesome!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hopkins FBI posted:

After six years of this show, I still can't decide if Alison Brie annoys me or not. I do know that I never want to hear her say "YOU GUUUUUUYYYSS-UH!!" ever again.

gently caress you she's hot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I thought they spelled Frankie out pretty clearly. She seemed well-spoken, reasonable, and completely normal within the context of Greendale but when she went to interview elsewhere in the "real" world it became obvious she's as broken an outcast as anyone else on the show.

Ohh I was going to say basically, that. At first she seemed a boring, normal, "real life" person. But the interview showed off how really she is also a wacky / unreal character like rest of Greendale, incompatible with the outside world, it's just she is wacky in an atypical way.

And I think Britta is receiving more hits because now Troy isn't there (he was too the "straight idiot" in lots of gags).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Turin Turambar posted:

And I think Britta is receiving more hits because now Troy isn't there (he was too the "straight idiot" in lots of gags).

The "cookie room" look from Chang would definitely have been a Troy joke, and would make no sense for Season 1 Chang. Not a complaint, just an observation.

You could say that Chang has been turned into an idiot, but you could easily make the case that Greendale does that to people in-universe. It's a bit of a cheat, I guess, to claim that the gradual broadening and dumbing down of your characters after 6 seasons is intentional - I'd say it's pretty standard for all TV shows - but at least this show can lampshade it within reason.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
This episode really felt like "classic" Community. Hopefully this episode means we're finally past introducing new members of the group and are ready to proceed with wacky hijinks.

Irish Joe posted:

gently caress you she's hot.

This may be the first time I've ever agreed with your posts.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Turin Turambar posted:

I like how the discussion about the "escapegoat" in the Schmitty episode ended up coming to pass. No Pierce and Troy lightning rods to be the butt of the jokes means all that lightning goes to Britta.

Jesus Louise
Jan 4, 2007

They're coming to get you, Barbara.
I'm curious about Abed's theory that Britta is secretly twins. I like that he still can't quite pin her down.

"Get a boardroom" was a great joke, but the thing with the olives...that was perfection.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

But jerry has an amazingly hot wife and daughters and a great family he goes home to so that balances it out. Britta has a family we met once?! That are pretty cool.

That never balanced anything out to me. The show acted like Jerry deserved all the abuse because his life outside the office was so great which just seems messed up. They even did a later season episode about how Jerry is legitimately scared of Tom and the other people in the office because of how they treat him and Ben stood up for him and HE got made fun of too. IMO the Jerry stuff always felt completely bizarre and unnecessary to me - if you want to keep the show from being too sappy and sweet then introduce some legitimate conflict and stakes for all the characters rather than just heaping all the negativity on one.

Also the Takashi subplot in this episode is probably one of the 5 greatest things I think the show's ever done. I AM NOT JEFFREY

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

No, the point was that everybody abusing Jerry was completely wrong because he had mastered life and happiness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

No, the point was that everybody abusing Jerry was completely wrong because he had mastered life and happiness.

He never got to retire and read his mystery novels with a box of cigars though. I guess being mayor for life because he was so loved by everyone but his coworkers is a little redemption though.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

This may be the first time I've ever agreed with your posts.

poo poo, this is one occasion where if agreeing with Irish Joe is wrong, I don't want to right. Alison Brie is great, Annie is the best, and I don't have a third thing.

Quick, Irish Joe! Say something else so I can disagree with it and the world can breathe easy once more!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Unmerciful posted:

That never balanced anything out to me. The show acted like Jerry deserved all the abuse because his life outside the office was so great which just seems messed up. They even did a later season episode about how Jerry is legitimately scared of Tom and the other people in the office because of how they treat him and Ben stood up for him and HE got made fun of too. IMO the Jerry stuff always felt completely bizarre and unnecessary to me - if you want to keep the show from being too sappy and sweet then introduce some legitimate conflict and stakes for all the characters rather than just heaping all the negativity on one.

Also the Takashi subplot in this episode is probably one of the 5 greatest things I think the show's ever done. I AM NOT JEFFREY

Meh different strokes for different folks I guess. I was never bothered by the jerry hate. But I was irked a bit by Andre getting poo poo on hard in 2 seasons ago the league.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

I can see what Dan meant about feeling like he was dragging his brain across a stone floor.

What's this quote?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

He never got to retire and read his mystery novels with a box of cigars though. I guess being mayor for life because he was so loved by everyone but his coworkers is a little redemption though.

Also has the largest penis that doctor has seen. Didn't even remember to look for mumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Unmerciful posted:

IMO the Jerry stuff always felt completely bizarre and unnecessary to me - if you want to keep the show from being too sappy and sweet then introduce some legitimate conflict and stakes for all the characters rather than just heaping all the negativity on one.

The whole point of Jerry's character is that he's a well meaning oaf who can never redeem himself because he's constantly making dumb mistakes in front of his coworkers. The relatability of his struggle is what makes it so drat funny. If you take that away by making him just another smiling face in the Amy Poehler Hug Parade, then what's the loving point of him being there at all?

• Locked thread