Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I hope it's Netflix, HBO, whatever that takes him on. I wouldn't trust a top gear on a network with advertisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, I guess that's it then.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Well I'm annoyed about it, but it's the only way on, the BBC couldn't have covered up an assault (they've a terrible record of trying this) so yes, gently caress Clarkson for ruining it.

Yep. No other way about it. You absolutely cannot loving assault a coworker and not face the music.

Oh well. At least today's X-Files news softened this blow a bit :/

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm only sad we didn't get the rest of what was above and beyond the best season in 5 or 6 seasons.

I feel cheated out of 2 or 3 good episodes.

Else-wise, it's a bummer but I'm sure they'll land on their feet and we'll get content.

The personalities and content I watch for doesn't have to be tied to Top Gear. I think after all this settles down and a long wait we'll get what we want in some new format.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's such a shame that the BBC's diversity programs and global warming made Clarkson hit that man because he wasn't provided a hot dinner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

quote:

It is understood a report into the so-called ‘fracas’ at a North Yorkshire hotel, concluded that presenter spent 20 minutes verbally abusing producer Oisin Tymon, before launching a 30 second physical assault on him.

The outburst came after Clarkson, who is one of the BBC’s best paid stars, was informed he could not have steak and chips after a day’s filming because the hotel where they were staying had stop serving hot food

loving hell, Clarkson. Punching someone was bad enough, but abusing him for nearly half a loving hour then assaulting him? All because you couldn't get steak and chips.

Way to go out like a oval office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Way to go out like a oval office.

Seriously, its bad enough that so many people have come out to support him, including his co-hosts, only to find out that he probably deserved what was coming. gently caress, Clarkson, why'd you have to throw it all away :smith:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Spiffness posted:

Else-wise, it's a bummer but I'm sure they'll land on their feet and we'll get content.

Getting content is one thing. Getting good content is something else entirely...

I don't think the BBC was much prepared for having to replace him so soon and it may be years before they have something viable again. Clarkson, May, Hammond, and executive producer Andy Wilman were a tightly knit crew. I still feel like they could have worked something out without burning it all to the ground.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 25, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
After seeing the huge disconnect between his supposed charity auction "rant" and what it was like in the recording I can't help but wonder if the 20 minute verbal assault was something similar. Clarkson being a whiny bitch baby for twenty minutes while piss drunk.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

After seeing the huge disconnect between his supposed charity auction "rant" and what it was like in the recording I can't help but wonder if the 20 minute verbal assault was something similar. Clarkson being a whiny bitch baby for twenty minutes while piss drunk.

Usually you don't physically assault somebody after 20 minutes of taking the piss out of them for laughs though

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

1500quidporsche posted:

Usually you don't physically assault somebody after 20 minutes of taking the piss out of them for laughs though

Wait, you don't? I've been doing it wrong this whole time. :saddowns:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

1500quidporsche posted:

I could see it go something like Clarkson being a big drunk whiny baby for 20 minutes > Oisin getting fed up and telling him to shut his fat mouth > Clarkson thinks taking a swing is a great idea

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

The "rant" was papers milking the public for more clicks, the 20 minute verbal assault is, I understand, the actual result of the BBC investigation.

e: not cool with Clarkson hitting a guy, however will very likely watch whatever he's up to next as well as BBC Top Gear as long as they feature things being done in the most idiotic manner and trips to exotic locales where that happens. If you think about it, this is just doubling the chances for that sort of thing on TV any given week.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 25, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wonder how this would go down on a private network. If Clarkson was my employee in a regular company and assaulted his own colleague, I'd fire him without hesitation. If I was a private television producer and Clarkson was the product, as he was with Top Gear, I'd do my best to broker a settlement between Clarkson and Oisin so Oisin could get however many of Clarkson's millions he'd need to feel things are right and so that I could keep Clarkson around and continue to entice viewers to my show (if Clarkson refused to participate in a settlement path, I'd fire him).

Do we know how much a Top Gear episode or season series costs to produce? I'd like to wildly misestimate Netflix's ability to carry the torch through armchair financial analysis.

It will also be interesting to see the contents of any statement Clarkson may make regarding this. On paper, the dude never has to work another day in his life; so why should he care if he's sacked? IRL he seems to have a good time making the show, and would probably work for less money from Netflix or whomever, unless he is not satisfied with the hoard of unusable wealth he has accumulated.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blk posted:

It will also be interesting to see the contents of any statement Clarkson may make regarding this.

The only sort-of public statement he has made was this "rant" saying how the BBC had hosed it up. Given what happened, and that before that he had went to the producer's house to try to apologize, qualifies him for oval office Of The Year. He's scheduled to host Have I Got News For You on April 24th, will be interesting to see if he goes through with it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

blk posted:

Do we know how much a Top Gear episode or season series costs to produce? I'd like to wildly misestimate Netflix's ability to carry the torch through armchair financial analysis.

Not sure how much they cost to produce but I just read that they brought in $225 million in revenue for the BBC in 2014...So...Yeah.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

JaySB posted:

Not sure how much they cost to produce but I just read that they brought in $225 million in revenue for the BBC in 2014...So...Yeah.

Of which they only make a reported ~£50 million in profit. So the costs of making (and supporting the worldwide audience) is massive, it wont be something that many other broadcasters will take on and kind of surprised Netflix would as it would end up taking about 10% of their total budget for ~10-20 hours of TV.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

blk posted:

A couple of years ago I heard they were budgeted around £1million an episode, because hooray TV is staggeringly expensive and takes a long time to produce. I know that some of the people working on this series started their contracts over a year ago so wages alone are a huge cost in that.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Not for nothing, but the kitchen at the hotel closed at 10pm. If I had been filming all day (assuming that they started before lunch time) with probably not much of a break or lunch and then finally, after a long day (probably 12-16 hours), all I wanted was a hot meal and get told that all there is are cold meats and cheese I'd be royally pissed to.

The producer deserved the dressing down. It's his job to make sure that people get fed decently and he hosed it up. He didn't deserve Clarkson hitting him for sure, but people are all "oh Clarkson had a tantrum because he couldn't get food" - I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

ZippySLC posted:

Not for nothing, but the kitchen at the hotel closed at 10pm. If I had been filming all day (assuming that they started before lunch time) with probably not much of a break or lunch and then finally, after a long day (probably 12-16 hours), all I wanted was a hot meal and get told that all there is are cold meats and cheese I'd be royally pissed to.

The producer deserved the dressing down. It's his job to make sure that people get fed decently and he hosed it up. He didn't deserve Clarkson hitting him for sure, but people are all "oh Clarkson had a tantrum because he couldn't get food" - I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that.

Reportedly filming finished after 7pm, but Clarkson, Hammond and May decided to spend the evening in a pub getting pissed instead of going back to the Hotel as arranged. The Hotel staff who had been waiting for them were allowed to go home at 10pm. All this would never have happened if they hadn't acted like idiots and instead of staying at the pub went back to the hotel and had drinks there.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Who owns the TG test track, I always thought a key ingredient in the show was having unlimited access to a track, not even Mclaren have their own track.

Having exclusive access pretty much means they can get any car as soon as it's available without having to scour the UK for some free track time (yes the clout helps as well).

Not sure what the deal with the American one was, but the Australian one was clearly a driver training facility with some cones put out.

Tracks are expensive as sin to build, can't ever imagine a start up show buying one, so they'd be renting it off someone, which will come with restrictions etc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's an old airfield, there's plenty of those all over the place.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Britain is full of disused airfields, which is all the current Top Gear track is. Rental costs would only be whatever it takes to stop whatever farmer owns the land from ripping it up. Just tarmac over the poo poo bits and have at it.

Edit: Its not exactly a proper "test track" like a proper manufacturer would use anyway. Its carefully edited but if you actually drive it its a bit naff.

NO FUCK YOU DAD fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 25, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
There is a proper test track they could use, and they have in distant past for various specials - MIRA. Its one of the worlds main test centers so the track is busy a lot of the time testing prototypes / pre-production models.

They also are building a massive government backed Automotive Technology park next to the track and offices so is kind of the perfect fit for a car show.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

ukle posted:

Reportedly filming finished after 7pm, but Clarkson, Hammond and May decided to spend the evening in a pub getting pissed instead of going back to the Hotel as arranged. The Hotel staff who had been waiting for them were allowed to go home at 10pm. All this would never have happened if they hadn't acted like idiots and instead of staying at the pub went back to the hotel and had drinks there.

Ok, well if that is true then that changes a lot. I hadn't heard that version of events.

Why wouldn't they just get some food at the pub?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like every possible alternative explanation that could have been a mitigating factor or a sympathetic side to the story, he instead did the worst possible thing. :saddowns:

What I don't get is how the other two are deciding to go down with the ship if they were as shocked by his behavior as everyone else was. Surely they must be agonizing over whether they can justify throwing their own lives and careers into turmoil out of feelings of friendship and solidarity with someone whose cuntishness they can't even excuse.

E: I hope I never become famous, if it means I become the kind of person willing to berate and punch someone for not magically getting me a steak when I could just walk to the 7-11 and have a hot dog for fucks sake.

You'd think he'd be a bit more willing to give the producers a pass considering the guys took a turn trying to be roadies for the Who, or at least pretending to for a few takes

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 25, 2015

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/25/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-contract-bbc

quote:

Reports that the BBC has lined up Chris Evans to take over from Clarkson are believed to be incorrect. The Radio 2 breakfast DJ, who has a huge car collection, told listeners on Wednesday: “This is not true. Not only is it’s not true – it’s absolute nonsense.”

quote:

A spokesman for the BBC said: “No decision has been made. When we have an outcome, we will announce it.”

hmmmmmmmm

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

What I don't get is how the other two are deciding to go down with the ship if they were as shocked by his behavior as everyone else was. Surely they must be agonizing over whether they can justify throwing their own lives and careers into turmoil out of feelings of friendship and solidarity with someone whose cuntishness they can't even excuse.

Maybe the press have overblown what actually happened, because really why would they show solidarity if it was just him being a oval office?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

theperminator posted:

Maybe the press have overblown what actually happened, because really why would they show solidarity if it was just him being a oval office?

Because if the story is as reported they are partially responsible for Clarkson blowing up, i.e. if they hadn't all stayed at the pub none of this would have happened; so they possibly feel a bit guilty of causing it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Data Graham posted:

It's like every possible alternative explanation that could have been a mitigating factor or a sympathetic side to the story, he instead did the worst possible thing. :saddowns:

E: I hope I never become famous, if it means I become the kind of person willing to berate and punch someone for not magically getting me a steak when I could just walk to the 7-11 and have a hot dog for fucks sake.

You'd think he'd be a bit more willing to give the producers a pass considering the guys took a turn trying to be roadies for the Who, or at least pretending to for a few takes

Cute. Did you miss the part about the three of them being drunk? Doing the smart or logical thing is the last thing most people who are drunk do or think of.

Also, James and Richard know perfectly well that Top Gear UK without Clarkson is as good as dead, so why stay on the Titanic? Besides, I don't see how they are throwing their lives and careers into anything. They aren't poor to begin with and I'm pretty sure that they aren't spoiled goods, unlike the producer who will forever be known as the dude that got Clarkson sacked.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They might be rich, but suddenly their gig has come to an unplanned end. And surely whatever they'd planned to do next after Top Gear, this isn't how they had intended to make that transition.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
That producer had better be the biggest company man ever because he's hosed if he ever leaves the BBC. The quotes being bandied around about "there can't be one rule for talent and another for everyone else" are ridiculous because there absolutely is and always has been. One of the reasons I got out of the business is because everyone in front of the camera is allowed to behave like a giant spoiled child to everyone behind it because they're the reason you're all there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to think of how anyone could fill 20 minutes ranting about the lack of a steak. I suspect that it was the culmination of a few things between them and this was a straw-that-broke-the-camels-back type deal.

But it doesn't excuse punching a co-worker and they're right to fire him. The beeb doesn't exactly have a great track record when it comes to dealing with their stars "assaulting" people...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Well then I hope those who leaked the potential sacking are, themselves, sacked. :v:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
We had 22 (mostly) great seasons. The presenters were starting to obviously get old and tired of the crap they had to do, they were looking more haggard each season. I am pretty sure Clarkson just wanted to retire and write books. He's in his 50s, the constant travel and eating lovely food has to take it out of you.

Glad he's getting sacked though. Grown ups don't solve arguments with hitting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

But a source close to the inquiry said: “There can’t be one rule for talent and one rule for ordinary human beings.”

That's adorable.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

SquadronROE posted:

We had 22 (mostly) great seasons. The presenters were starting to obviously get old and tired of the crap they had to do, they were looking more haggard each season. I am pretty sure Clarkson just wanted to retire and write books. He's in his 50s, the constant travel and eating lovely food has to take it out of you.

Glad he's getting sacked though. Grown ups don't solve arguments with hitting.

I'm pretty sure I saw a video of the 3 of them telling about their normal work week. It included stuff like getting up at 3-4 am and driving 100's of miles every day and that's not when their flying all around the world and they hardly ever see their family.

Clarkson is worth £30 million ($44.7 million), Hammond £15 million, and James £10 million.

This is one of Clarkson's houses.

This is Hammond's

Hammond also brought his neighbors mansion because he kept complaining about the noise every time Hammond commuted to work in his own personal helicopter.

I would not be surprised if the 3 of them finally said "gently caress it"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hammond lives in an actual castle? wow.

And how is he worth more than May, anyway?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ I'm not sure whether your point is "Hey lay off these guys, they work hard" or "gently caress these assholes, they live in loving castles and fly to work by helicopter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

^^ I'm not sure whether your point is "Hey lay off these guys, they work hard" or "gently caress these assholes, they live in loving castles and fly to work by helicopter"

Can't it be both?