Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

It was fine for me on a i5-750 which is absolutely ancient and a gtx 275. At 100k+ people. :confused:

Fine as in no visible slowing down.

e: i meant gtx 770, welp, I'm bad at computers

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I just checked, and at 80k people I'm at 60 fps all the way zoomed out, and 30-40 while zoomed in running 3x speed, occasionally dipping to 25ish if I happen to point the camera at something visually dense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm getting pretty slow simulation speed, I might have to finally upgrade my cooling and overclock my older i5.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I'm thinking Passes can top out at 200-230k people the way I've built it so far. Just cracked 140 with at least 8 spots left that little towns can fit into. 25 tiles is a disgusting amount of space.

Really enjoying maps with lots of small interconnected communities. With the traffic lights toggle those 6-laners make great medium-size regional roads.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I wish I could set it to default to traffic lights off, any kind of change to roads always makes the intersections to reset and it's really annoying.

Stopped using any wider roads again because of this. :(

vvvv the game seems to be more GPU-bound to me, I have the same cpu at work but a slower radeon and the difference is very obvious.

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 25, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My 3570k with a 660ti and 8gb RAM seem to be producing roughly the same FPS when I load the same save as my neighor's 4990k with 16gb ram and a 780gtx.

This is a non-scientific test but would point out that worrying about your mid tier i5 is largerly useless.

It being at 60fps when zoomed out and 30-40fps when zoomed in with speed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know that FPS is a particularly good indicator, graphics and simulation speed are likely decoupled. This isn't SC4.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ladies. Gentlemen. I give you...

DIRTOPIA.

I think I may eventually cripple my own computer. Each vehicle launches a dust cloud hahahah.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 25, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dirt roads look pretty cool. The biggest downside is that you can't build bridges with them. Wooden bridges would've looked good for them.

battle
Dec 20, 2013

that looks cool with the dirt roads gotta try that at some point

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dirt roads also seem to have greater angle tolerances so you can get wackier roads. It's pretty nice. Still gotta use paved to make bridges tho.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dirt roads are good for running onto beaches, then I have a few parks that are just a bench or something on raw landscape to put on the beach.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

kinnas posted:

If I quote this maybe there's more chance of this happening. You get used to it playing the game but any time you gotta look something up on google maps (or bing if you're that kinda guy, I ain't discriminatin') and come back the game looks weird.
The size of the roads bugs me too. Every road is a roomy main street with ample space for parking and wide sidewalks. In my town the two lane main street is in places as wide as the in game roads, but any other street is invariably narrower. The road-to-buildings ratio is all out of whack due to this, and it looks very odd.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It looks about right for me, but I live in a city with overly wide streets, apparently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think the scale in this game is fine.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

That's a huge pipe of poo poo. :eyepop:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Dirt roads that lead to countryside summer homes are usually just wide enough that two cars can just about squeeze past each other. Comparatively the dirt roads in that awesome looking dirtville are more like boulevards of dust and sand, counting in the room taken by the cars parked on the side they're essentially as wide as a (rather tight) four lane road.

Visually that darker patch of dirt in the middle of the road should be the part that's between the wheels of a single car.

It's interesting to ponder about such essentially inconsequential nitpickings because the game is so fresh and so open to modding. Some mad scientist might actually go in and tinker with it.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

That's a huge pipe of poo poo. :eyepop:

Don't sign your posts

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

SynthOrange posted:

imagine a world where the poo poo is the city and the houses are the sewage

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
I have a slight issue that perhaps someone could shed some light on.

So i load up today to discover all of my saves corrupt, I have reinstalled the game twice and unsubscribed and resubscribed many many things. I don't mind the lost 50 odd hours of work that i have done as I can just make anew and improve on past failings. But how do i get my resubscribed assets ingame? they are all sitting in the Steam Workshop tab in content manager and I cant seem to do anything but view them or delete them, its driving me crazy.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I had something like that happen (the mod only showed up in content manager, nothing in the correct tab) and resubscribing while in-game fixed it.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Anybody else have an issue in Windows 8.1 where you're nearly always notified that Cities.exe is taking up too much memory and it should be closed? This is with 8 gigs of RAM and no other applications running.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Every day is superbowl in Cimcity. :v:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

My game crashes on exit, which is a bit annoying, but it's now taken to not quitting to the main menu, or loading games from the pause menu. Anyone know what gives?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone else really love the pedestrian paths? I started a new map on that national park map (Although it's a bit TOO limited, I may try the Passes map which I have now subbed) and before I laid zones, I made sure all the areas had paths. It always bugged me SC4 didn't focus on pedestrians more, so loving it in this game.

Bogan Krkic posted:

My game crashes on exit, which is a bit annoying, but it's now taken to not quitting to the main menu, or loading games from the pause menu. Anyone know what gives?

I get this 50% of the time on exit. No idea, other times it's fine. I sometimes get it , if i'm in the asset editor and try to exit to the main menu also. Hopefully a simple patch will fix it.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Is there a way to filter out authors in workshop while browsing? That [ICT]DPruett2333 (ugh) guy and his endless rehashed assets really drown out everything else in top subscribed / etc categories.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah that's really annoying. On a slightly less critical point I'd like a filter that removes all custom made maps by people who doesn't understand that you need to place water sources. :argh:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

cthulhoo posted:

Is there a way to filter out authors in workshop while browsing? That [ICT]DPruett2333 (ugh) guy and his endless rehashed assets really drown out everything else in top subscribed / etc categories.

Nope, I think I read somewhere if someone rates one of his things, all of his things get upvoted (or maybe that was his collection). So it's not going away unless he gets kicked off/removed which I doubt would happen.

edit: They need to add a tickbox or field in the asset editor (so the workshop knows) that says 'CUSTOM MESH', the prefab asset stuff is cool, but hunting down cool new custom content is getting difficult sifting among the re-hashed crap.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Being able to filter by growable / ploppable would be a cool thing too.

e: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405827979&searchtext= :3:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a good basic city planning guide I can look at? I'm not sure where to place industrial areas or waste management, or how to handle traffic. My cities end up turning into a congested, polluted mess that I can't fix without leveling half of it :negative:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Elman posted:

Is there a good basic city planning guide I can look at? I'm not sure where to place industrial areas or waste management, or how to handle traffic. My cities end up turning into a congested, polluted mess that I can't fix without leveling half of it :negative:

I generally try to put residential and industrial on opposite sides of the city, with a commercial buffer zone. Waste management goes as far away from residential as possible, usually in the industrial zone.

Traffic is pretty contextual, take some screenshots! I found that the biggest traffic issues I had were pretty easily resolved by making a few things one-way.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This is my biggest problem right now:

It worked fine when I had 500 people, okay? :saddowns:

Elman fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 25, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elman posted:

You need to not be afraid to get demolishy.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Elman posted:

Get on my level

(I am not good at traffic.)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Has anyone experienced a glitch where they cannot exit a game? Like the Quit 'to main menu' or 'desktop' buttons just don't work?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You need to not be afraid to get demolishy.
Yeah, just go :killdozer: over it and rebuilt the intersections.

Poizen Jam posted:

Has anyone experienced a glitch where they cannot exit a game? Like the Quit 'to main menu' or 'desktop' buttons just don't work?
No, but alt+f4 should work. Or ctrl+alt+delete and ending the process. Have you been running the game for a long time when it happened?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My traffic has gotten increasingly worse, and I'm pretty much out of space to build now. The highway is severely congested in many places, but there just aren't any convenient places to branch it off anymore...

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I have some questions that have been bothering me 30 hours in:

1. Is there a way to rotate prefab road connections? I've been having some issue getting these things oriented the way I want them.

2. Is there any way to distinguish what type of property is in demand? And by this I mean, for example, when I'm generically told commercial property is in demand I don't know if it's light commercial, heavy commercial, or offices. Or is it really just a generic demand (and if so that's a huge weakness in the game.

3. What's the deal with, especially early game, with properties that level up to 2, then close down and become abandoned because there aren't enough smart people to level to 3.

Seems to me, businesses just need to not expand then, not close down. It also seems to me that I should be drawing more educated immigrants to fill at least some of those jobs.

4. Is there a recommended light residential layout? I've been giving light residential optimal for 2x2 houses, or 4x4 when I'm making "nice" neighborhoods. Just curious if I'm on the right track there.

Edit

5. Does school location matter? Seems like it doesn't.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My traffic has gotten increasingly worse, and I'm pretty much out of space to build now. The highway is severely congested in many places, but there just aren't any convenient places to branch it off anymore...

What does your subway map look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Spaceman Future! posted:

What does your subway map look like?

Terrible! You can't really see it on the overhead view though, but it's basically got fairly straight connections and one metro station in each district.