Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Oh man, nope, although that sounded amazing. This was on a home console (can't remember which one - 360, PS2, 3, or Wii). I thought for a moment that it might have been No More Heroes due to the weirdo humor sense, but I don't think that was it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Shadow Hearts 2 has a wrestler named Joachim who also has a butterfly superhero/luchador type costume, Rhythm Heaven has a set of dancing shrimp and a wrestler... but I'm not really coming up with any games that combine muscular men and shrimp and abalone. Sorry! :( I'll keep thinking about it.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

For a lot of my childhood I used to play games/demos from the shareware/freeware disks off Mac magazines that my granny had been collecting for years, so this could be from anywhere between 1994 and 2001ish.
I think it was a demo for a full game but it could have also been a free Doom or Duke 3D mod or something as far as I know, but it was an FPS set in the US Capitol (It could have also been some government offices though, but I think I remember the Capitol being on the main menu or demo disk box) and I assume it had been taken over by terrorists? Things that stick out for me for some reason are that there were American flag stands all over the place (Either side of doors and stuff) that you could push around and that there was a bit where you walked near a big row of windows and there was a helicopter fly-by sound effect but no actual helicopter.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cerebulon posted:

For a lot of my childhood I used to play games/demos from the shareware/freeware disks off Mac magazines that my granny had been collecting for years, so this could be from anywhere between 1994 and 2001ish.
I think it was a demo for a full game but it could have also been a free Doom or Duke 3D mod or something as far as I know, but it was an FPS set in the US Capitol (It could have also been some government offices though, but I think I remember the Capitol being on the main menu or demo disk box) and I assume it had been taken over by terrorists? Things that stick out for me for some reason are that there were American flag stands all over the place (Either side of doors and stuff) that you could push around and that there was a bit where you walked near a big row of windows and there was a helicopter fly-by sound effect but no actual helicopter.

Probably the "Duke Nukem Duke it Out in DC" game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zaodai posted:

Probably the "Duke Nukem Duke it Out in DC" game.

Could you push around the flags though? I thought all the duke props were static. The only thing that comes to mind for me is the first level of Deus Ex within UNATCO headquarters, but it's probably too new.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Joe Man posted:

Could you push around the flags though? I thought all the duke props were static. The only thing that comes to mind for me is the first level of Deus Ex within UNATCO headquarters, but it's probably too new.

I don't know, I didn't play the Duke 3D mission pack games. I just knew it existed, and since he said it might have been a Duke mod so I threw it out there.

There's an LP of it on Baldurk's site, so at least he's got video to look at.

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.
I remember playing a text adventure for Amiga growing up. I think it had a more modern setting than fantasy. You could find weapons like swords and guns, there were other characters that you could maybe kill? There was a VERBOSE command. You got points for some things? Its very little information and I haven't been able to figure out what is was for years and years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

I remember playing a text adventure for Amiga growing up. I think it had a more modern setting than fantasy. You could find weapons like swords and guns, there were other characters that you could maybe kill? There was a VERBOSE command. You got points for some things? Its very little information and I haven't been able to figure out what is was for years and years.

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure you'll find it by peeking through either of these lists, as there aren't that many games on the Amiga, relatively speaking:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/list.php?list_genre=Adventure&list_sub_genre=Graphics/Text
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/list.php?list_genre=Adventure&list_sub_genre=Text%20only

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cerebulon posted:

This may be Prime Target or Lethal Tender.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm trying to find an Amiga game I played as a kid. It was a vaguely horror themed platformer where you played a kid (I think you could choose from 3, but I might be mistaken). The first level was a haunted house with a flooded basement. A later level was Egyptian themed and there was a part where pyramids fell on you. I think the kid had a knife or a yo yo or something you could kill enemies with.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

I'm trying to find an Amiga game I played as a kid. It was a vaguely horror themed platformer where you played a kid (I think you could choose from 3, but I might be mistaken). The first level was a haunted house with a flooded basement. A later level was Egyptian themed and there was a part where pyramids fell on you. I think the kid had a knife or a yo yo or something you could kill enemies with.

I can't help you, but I'm curious. Did the pyramids fall from the sky, or did they somehow topple towards you? I'm trying to imagine the latter and just can't.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

I can't help you, but I'm curious. Did the pyramids fall from the sky, or did they somehow topple towards you? I'm trying to imagine the latter and just can't.

They fell from the sky. They might just have been going up and down and it was a timing thing, I don't really remember.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

ravenkult posted:

Sounds a lot like Yo! Joe!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

pinacotheca posted:

Sounds a lot like Yo! Joe!

Holy poo poo that's it. Last time I played this I was like 7 years old.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I remember a game from probably 15-20 years ago. Can't remember if it was Amiga or early pc game but it was like a air hockey or similar game set in a bar or something. The opponents were all cartoonesque images as the backdrop of the table and had different styles of playing. I distinctly remember one really small guy with a cigarette that had the play style really fast and no bounce shots. Probably doesn't help much.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Shufflepuck Cafe?

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

pinacotheca posted:

Shufflepuck Cafe?
Which recently got a fairly decent remake. http://store.steampowered.com/app/259510/

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

pinacotheca posted:

Shufflepuck Cafe?

That's definitely it. Thanks!

^^^that remake looks... interesting? VR has yet to convince me.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Neo Rasa posted:

This may be Prime Target or Lethal Tender.

Thanks, I think it was Prime Target. Videos of it seem pretty familiar anyway.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I vaguely remember a late eighties/early nineties PC game that had a kind of isometric viewpoint and you were a diver in an old-fashioned deep sea diving suit. Kind of a puzzle game, maybe secretly an educational game. Lots of jumping puzzles.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Spiteski posted:

That's definitely it. Thanks!

^^^that remake looks... interesting? VR has yet to convince me.

Shufflepuck Cantina is actually incredibly good and addictive.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I played a point and click game in Borders around the year 1995. Seemed to be aimed at kids with somewhat of a black and white aesthetic with the characters faces being vibrant shades of green, yellow and pink. The main character, a child with black hair and a backwards ball cap was trying to guess the password to enter a building. A missing dog may have been involved.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm trying to remember one of the first computer games I ever played. I can remember some details vividly, but sadly none of the names of anything. It was an edutainment game on the PC, and this would have been around 1990-1992 when I played it, though who knows when it actually came out.

You played, or at least commanded, a blue (?) blocky robot. I want to say his name was "Mathbot" or something similar. This robot was in charge of an army of similar-looking robots, and his job was to use his army to stop a horde of building-sized purple aliens from eating a major city. The aliens were round, hovering things with giant conical snouts which they would use to suck up entire buildings. Again, I don't remember the name of the aliens.

The gameplay had you looking at the city top-down, with the aliens hovering around. You job was to place rows of robots around the city such that they would surround the aliens and contain them. In order to place robots, you had to solve a math puzzle first, and being that I was about five this is the main reason I never got very far in the game. As the aliens roamed around, they would sometimes stop and eat city blocks they were hovering over. (As a tiny kid I found this a little disturbing to watch, especially since it was accompanied by a bizarre sucking noise.) I believe the loss condition was losing too many city blocks before the aliens were contained.

The most vivid thing I remember about the game was that it had limited voice acting. The lead robot would first say "Click on a city block!" instructing you to place a robot, then "Click on a direction arrow!" where you decide which direction you want your row of robots to extend. I think there was more voice acting in the introduction, where the lead robot introduced himself, but I can't for the life of me remember his name.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Rocketlex posted:

I'm trying to remember one of the first computer games I ever played. I can remember some details vividly, but sadly none of the names of anything. It was an edutainment game on the PC, and this would have been around 1990-1992 when I played it, though who knows when it actually came out.

You played, or at least commanded, a blue (?) blocky robot. I want to say his name was "Mathbot" or something similar. This robot was in charge of an army of similar-looking robots, and his job was to use his army to stop a horde of building-sized purple aliens from eating a major city. The aliens were round, hovering things with giant conical snouts which they would use to suck up entire buildings. Again, I don't remember the name of the aliens.

The gameplay had you looking at the city top-down, with the aliens hovering around. You job was to place rows of robots around the city such that they would surround the aliens and contain them. In order to place robots, you had to solve a math puzzle first, and being that I was about five this is the main reason I never got very far in the game. As the aliens roamed around, they would sometimes stop and eat city blocks they were hovering over. (As a tiny kid I found this a little disturbing to watch, especially since it was accompanied by a bizarre sucking noise.) I believe the loss condition was losing too many city blocks before the aliens were contained.

The most vivid thing I remember about the game was that it had limited voice acting. The lead robot would first say "Click on a city block!" instructing you to place a robot, then "Click on a direction arrow!" where you decide which direction you want your row of robots to extend. I think there was more voice acting in the introduction, where the lead robot introduced himself, but I can't for the life of me remember his name.

I played a game like this called Math Ace, but it was about trapping viruses inside of a computer. Here's the only video I could find of it. From the intro it looks like there's another game called Word City with the snout aliens you described.

edit: Here's some footage of Word City with terrible commentary.

Fulla Lizards! fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 1, 2015

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Early 2000s, isometric 'action/adventure' game, 265 colours. it was animated.
you played an ugly wizard with sandals and a walking stick ascending a tower. casing spells at stuff. collecting poo poo and getting to the next staircase.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kommando posted:

you played an ugly wizard with sandals and a walking stick ascending a tower. casing spells at stuff. collecting poo poo and getting to the next staircase.

Try mid 90s. Mystic Towers, motherfucker!

v too slow, joe :smug:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 1, 2015

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kommando posted:

You sure it was that new? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQhQRPLFmA

EDIT: drat YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Australian and Apogee. no way.

Thanks goons.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Fulla Lizards! posted:

I played a game like this called Math Ace, but it was about trapping viruses inside of a computer. Here's the only video I could find of it. From the intro it looks like there's another game called Word City with the snout aliens you described.

I was going to post about this, but I was going to mention the games I've played which were similar in format (click a square and a direction arrow)

Only difference was they were based on racing. They were both still called Math Ace and Word City, but they added "Grand Prix Edition" to the title. I thought I was the only one who played those, and yet here's people familiar with an even more obscure version of the drat thing. The rules were a bit different too, but that doesn't really matter.

Kommando posted:

you played an ugly wizard
You're an ugly wizard.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Cheez posted:

You're an ugly wizard.

I'm sick of all the goddamn wizard apologists making GBS threads up the game-remembering threads.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I think it was a n64 or PS1 game where you played as various kinds of animals in different levels, I vaguely remember playing as a penguin or something that could fly.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Space Station Silicon Valley?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Unreal_One posted:

Space Station Silicon Valley?

drat dude. That memory was so loving vague in my head I thought I had made it up/imagined it. But it just hit me now that I've looked at some videos of this. Thanks a lot!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I AM BRAWW posted:

drat dude. That memory was so loving vague in my head I thought I had made it up/imagined it. But it just hit me now that I've looked at some videos of this. Thanks a lot!

Good luck getting the drat jingle out of your head though, I've been trying for nearly 20 years.

da-dum, da-dum, da-da da-da da-da-dum

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Fulla Lizards! posted:

YES! Word City was the one I was thinking of. I remembered it as a math game, but I guess it was a spelling game. Same difference when you're six.

Man. That's honestly one of the first games I remember ever playing. And talk about obscure. That video you found is the only evidence I was able to dig up of that game's existence once you mentioned it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

"Verbose" is almost always an Infocom thing. Maybe Planetfall or Stationfall?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looking for an Amiga platformer that I could not find while peering through the Lemonamiga database.

You were, I believe, a kid in a red shirt with a red bandana going around mostly punching stuff. The world was sort of cyberish, but also vaguely eastern-inspired. I'm absolutely positive it was called something along the lines of "Kid Karate" or "Awesome Bazooka Kid" or "Kung Fu Johnny" or some poo poo like that. A later level had a big metal car you could jump in, and I remember it having a Ghouls 'n Ghosts-style world map before you start.

It's not Switchblade or First/Second Samurai.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Ruff N Tumble?

boof
Jun 3, 2001
And if it's not that, I'll suggest Kid Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No, it's neither, although stylistically the graphics are similar to Ruff n Tumble. A lot sparser, though. I also remember it having that characteristic Amiga gradient sky palette.