Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

$35 is a hell of a lot of money for something I'm gonna accidentally drop on a floor/into a couch cushion/whatever.

$35 for a guitar pick.. let me get back to you on that. Okay, back. Hell no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Even Dunlop only charged $1 per for their fancypants graphite picks. And they use Jer Bear's name with it to appeal to the taste-impaired crowd.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

demonR6 posted:

$35 for a guitar pick.. let me get back to you on that. Okay, back. Hell no.

I am always playing clean, whether it is Jazz or violin music on an archtop, or acoustic stuff. So I am always looking for a balance between playability and tone. This pick will not move in my fingers, plays like it isn't there and will last a hell of a long time. I've spent more on picks in the past. To each their own. The other pick I was set on was D'Andrea pro Plecs but they sound very dark and aren't an all around pick.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Shugojin posted:

My friend a few years ago had a Silvertone starter pack he got ahold of for like $100. If you had the volume on the guitar turned down and left it plugged in with the amp on, it picked up some shortband radio in Spanish.

I used to live with a guy who liked to run radio interference through a tremolo pedal to add eerie background noise to songs.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
$35? A lot of their picks are $75!

I wonder if they have free shipping ...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I have a 2005 mexi strat and I want to replace the pickups with something a bit nicer and I have no idea where to even start looking. It's one of those 'fat' strats with a humbucker bridge pickup but it sounds like garbage and I want to replace it since it'd be really nice to have a halfway decent humbucker for tube-gain drenched blues solos.

What would you guys recommend checking out on a (more or less) 100$ budget.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a 2005 mexi strat and I want to replace the pickups with something a bit nicer and I have no idea where to even start looking. It's one of those 'fat' strats with a humbucker bridge pickup but it sounds like garbage and I want to replace it since it'd be really nice to have a halfway decent humbucker for tube-gain drenched blues solos.

What would you guys recommend checking out on a (more or less) 100$ budget.

GFS are probably the only ones you can run if you want to replace everything.

If you have $100 for just the humbucker then you could basically pick anything Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So Wegen, BlueChip, V-Picks, who else makes good premium picks? Sorry to bust in the door begging for snake oil at the worst time but I've been wanting to try out some new ones. I know there are a few others I'm not remembering.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Red Bear was a nice fake shell pick. Lasted a couple years til it crumbled apart.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
So, pickup question. People seem to like the GFS pickups in general, anybody tried the Neovin ones? Especially the ones for Telecaster? On one hand, what I -really- like the sound of is the SD Hot Lead, but the Power Rock Pair demos in the link below sound pretty solid to me, and for the price of the single SD, I could do all 3. I'm also wondering if there are recommendations for an interesting option for that middle pickup, I hate that damned thing. All told, I'm largely looking for a noiseless set of replacements that still retain a decent amount of Tele character, but perhaps not quite as much sheer high end.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Neovin-Pickups-Matched-Pairs_c_122.html

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

On pickups, has anyone tried putting resistors on a pickup to try and volume match the neck and bridge? I feel like there is loads of difference in their character, but that is kind of lost with the most noticeable thing being a big volume jump when I switch from neck to bridge.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

field balm posted:

On pickups, has anyone tried putting resistors on a pickup to try and volume match the neck and bridge? I feel like there is loads of difference in their character, but that is kind of lost with the most noticeable thing being a big volume jump when I switch from neck to bridge.

I had to raise the bridge pickup to even out the volume when I installed some into my Agile LP clone. If you can do that it's probably easier than trying to add a resistor in.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

unlawfulsoup posted:

If you can find a used one, Mustang III v2 is my personal favorite modeler, and it has an effects loop. With a little tweaking it is actually kind of mind blowing how good a Mustang can sound, that and III can get loud enough to be heard in the next county. I have plugged my Keytar into it for comedy and it works pretty well for that too all things considered.

Thanks for the advice, now I have a couple more things to consider at least :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Agrinja posted:

So, pickup question. People seem to like the GFS pickups in general, anybody tried the Neovin ones? Especially the ones for Telecaster? On one hand, what I -really- like the sound of is the SD Hot Lead, but the Power Rock Pair demos in the link below sound pretty solid to me, and for the price of the single SD, I could do all 3. I'm also wondering if there are recommendations for an interesting option for that middle pickup, I hate that damned thing. All told, I'm largely looking for a noiseless set of replacements that still retain a decent amount of Tele character, but perhaps not quite as much sheer high end.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Neovin-Pickups-Matched-Pairs_c_122.html

I put the "Neovin PowerRock" in the bridge of my Tele and the "VEH brown sound" humbucker in the neck. There wasn't a whole lot of Tele left once done, but it certainly did heavy rock pretty well.

edit:\/\/ had *just* finished putting it back together and there were finger prints everywhere. :3:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 24, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That sure is a clean looking guitar

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

plerocercoid posted:

I had to raise the bridge pickup to even out the volume when I installed some into my Agile LP clone. If you can do that it's probably easier than trying to add a resistor in.

I have the same problem which I'm pretty sure has something to do with me lowering the bridge on my strat (I think it sounds way better). I don't know why I never tried lowering the pickup but I'll give it a shot when I setup my guitar this weekend.

Sockington posted:

I put the "Neovin PowerRock" in the bridge of my Tele and the "EVH brown sound" humbucker in the neck. There wasn't a whole lot of Tele left once done, but it certainly did heavy rock pretty well.

In addition to the bridge humbucker I'm also looking to replace the neck single coil pickup on my strat (which I use almost exclusively). Do the Neovin pickups really eliminate feedback/hum? Because that has always been a huge problem for me :/.

A Winner is Jew posted:

GFS are probably the only ones you can run if you want to replace everything.

If you have $100 for just the humbucker then you could basically pick anything Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan.

I originally just wanted to replace the humbucker but now that I'm looking at stuff I'm really tempted to replace the whole set.

Also are mexi strat bridges worth replacing? I really like the idea of upgrading this guitar to American tier levels and using it forever because I have a weird emotional attachment to this thing. Every other guitar I play just doesn't feel right and I can't stand the idea of playing a different stratocaster, but I have the funds for a new guitar for the first time in awhile and I've been playing shows every weekend so I feel it's time to upgrade but I just can't do it :(

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

64bit_Dophins posted:

I originally just wanted to replace the humbucker but now that I'm looking at stuff I'm really tempted to replace the whole set.

Also are mexi strat bridges worth replacing? I really like the idea of upgrading this guitar to American tier levels and using it forever because I have a weird emotional attachment to this thing. Every other guitar I play just doesn't feel right and I can't stand the idea of playing a different stratocaster, but I have the funds for a new guitar for the first time in awhile and I've been playing shows every weekend so I feel it's time to upgrade but I just can't do it :(

No, I know the feeling since my mexi strat was what I just upgraded the electronics and pickups and basically turned it into a brand new guitar since everything else that was sub $1k felt off. I have no idea about if the bridge is worth upgrading since I've never noticed a problem with mine other than it's starting to oxidize which doesn't effect anything really, and the only other modification I would really do to my strat is replace the nut and put locking tuners on it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Not sure how useful it is but my favorite sounding pickups I have personally played through are Lindy Fralin but those are uh, not cheap. My LP-alike is gonna end up with a coil splitting set someday, though :3:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

64bit_Dophins posted:

You can switch out the saddles for graph tech or whatever; that'd make the biggest difference. If you want to replace the entire bridge I'd go for a Wilkinson two point trem and some locking tuners. They make a standard 6 screw type as well, but the two point is smoother. It requires some extra drilling for the studs though.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Guitar fetish is having another sale for anyone looking at the Neovin pickups.

quote:

Save 7.5% off the following categories by applying the code "Spring 7" at checkout

Save 7.5% off all Slick brand Hand-Aged Pickups
Save 7.5% off all XGP Metal Hardware
Save 7.5% off all GFS Professional Series pickups
Save 7.5% off all GFS Neovin Noise-Canceling Pickups
Save 7.5% off all GFS Trucoil Noise Cancelling Pickups
Save 7.5% of all GFS REDactive pickups
Save 7.5% off all GFS REDactive Bass Pickups
Save 7.5% off all REDactive parts and components
Save 7.5% off all GFS Protube Pickups
Save 7.5% off all GFS Mini Humbucker pickups
Save 7.5% off All GFS P90 Pickups
Save 7.5% off all GFS Retrotron Vintage Style Pickups
Save 7.5% off all Xaviere brand Strings on the site

Save 10% off the following categories by applying the code "Spring10" at checkout

Save 10% off all Tremolos on the site
Save 10% off all Xtrem Vibrato systems and parts
Save 10% off all Pickguards on the site
Save 10% off all Pre-Assembled Pickguards
Save 10% off all GFS MODboards and related parts
Save 10% off all Hand-Wired Pickguards
Save 10% off all GFS Jazzmaster Pickups
Save 10% off all GFS Soapbar 180 Pickups
Save 10% off all Electronics on the site
Save 10% off all GFS Footpedals
Save 10% off all GFS Guitar Tuners
Save 10% off all Bridges on the site
Save 10% off all Knobs on the site
Save 10% off all GFS Bass pickups
Save 10% off all Bass parts

Save 15% off the following categories by applying the code "Spring15" at checkout

Save 15% off all Items in our Clearance Section
Save 15% off all Items in our Luthier Special Section
Save 15% off all Items in our Factory Buyout Section
Save 15% off all Items in our Clearance Necks, Bodies and Kits Section
Save 15% off all Items in our Clearance OEM Pickups section
Save 15% off all Items in our Clearance Guitar Case Section
Like always, the codes stack if you run into overlap. And they didn't jack the prices this time around like they did during the winter sale, so it's actual discounts of the prices this time.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Someone here (Kilometers Davis I think?) gave a lighter gauge of Circle K strings a try on the Squier Bass VI. I'd like to know how that turned out, since I'm thinking of using mine in just C or D rather than the bass E.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A 30" scale C is gonna be awkward to find the right string gauge, Minimal setup is required to retune the squier version to baritone A with a 60' to 70' gauge on the low end.

La bella has affordable and high quality strings for VI's

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Does guitarfetish ever put their regular pickups on sale? Seems like everything is always on sale except for what I'm looking for.

E- oh nm I guess there's a bunch of the gfs pickups on sale, just not the humbuckers I was looking at.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TopherCStone posted:

Someone here (Kilometers Davis I think?) gave a lighter gauge of Circle K strings a try on the Squier Bass VI. I'd like to know how that turned out, since I'm thinking of using mine in just C or D rather than the bass E.

:wave: I threw Circle Ks on my Squier Baritone JM tuned A-A. If you want more details on that let me know.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Kilometers Davis posted:

:wave: I threw Circle Ks on my Squier Baritone JM tuned A-A. If you want more details on that let me know.

I'm rather curious, baritone guitars look fun, but the odd tuning turns me of to them.

vvEdit: Really? I thought they were some oddball B-B thing.vv

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 25, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They're tuned to standard aren't they? Just lower?

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want more details! Gonna order some for the same guitar. The stock strings were a little floppy for me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sire Oblivion posted:

They're tuned to standard aren't they? Just lower?

They're tuned to w/e

Baritone doesn't really have a set definition.

The most common seems to be B to B.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

pointlessone posted:

I'm rather curious, baritone guitars look fun, but the odd tuning turns me of to them.

vvEdit: Really? I thought they were some oddball B-B thing.vv

Buckethead plays a baritone guitar(27" scale) in standard tuning. You can do whatever you want!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dirt posted:

Buckethead plays a baritone guitar(27" scale) in standard tuning. You can do whatever you want!

Unfair example, Buckethead has baritone scale hands to go with it.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Sockington posted:

I put the "Neovin PowerRock" in the bridge of my Tele and the "VEH brown sound" humbucker in the neck. There wasn't a whole lot of Tele left once done, but it certainly did heavy rock pretty well.

edit:\/\/ had *just* finished putting it back together and there were finger prints everywhere. :3:

How're the cleans? Is there -any- twang left? Also, great looking guitar there.

e: fixed some stuff

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Unfair example, Buckethead has baritone scale hands to go with it.

You're not kidding. (Couldn't find a great picture of just his hands, but they ARE huge)

I've spent a lot of time learning to play in Buckethead's style. If my hands were 80% bigger, life would be easier :D

VVV

Buckethead is just a huge person. Like he has gotta be at least 6'6"

I feel like someone somewhere once said he was "7 feet tall, with the bucket"

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 25, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That picture doesn't get across just how huge that guitar is. It's like almost L6S in size

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dirt posted:

It's actually 30" (I think), here it is next to my Epiphone LP and Rondo Agile:

It's big. As gently caress. But not as heavy as you'd think, the Agile is the heaviest of the three because I'm pretty sure it's not chambered at all.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

That would be great. What gauges did you go with? I ordered the lightest set Circle K offered, .053 - .012. If I'm tension calculating correctly on the internet, tuned to C or D I would be somewhere in between normal tension for guitar and bass.

Weirdly enough, I've found that there's a number of things I find a lot easier on the longer Bass VI scale length compared to my SG. I think the neck profile must also play a role.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I just realized I could record bass lines by using the pitch shifter on my Mustang amp. Doesn't sound perfect but it certainly gets the job done for stupid demo recordings.

Also, playing my cheap LP and going back to my strat is like training with weighted clothes on. I nearly ripped off my high e when I went for a bend. :ssj:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's actually 30" (I think), here it is next to my Epiphone LP and Rondo Agile:

It's big. As gently caress. But not as heavy as you'd think, the Agile is the heaviest of the three because I'm pretty sure it's not chambered at all.

Yeah, the Agiles are totally solid unless you custom order a hollow or chambered one. It's great for people who believe in fairytales about tonewood but my dauntless loving murders my back

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, the Agiles are totally solid unless you custom order a hollow or chambered one. It's great for people who believe in fairytales about tonewood but my dauntless loving murders my back

Yeah. I got rid of mine. It just killed my shoulder. I'm sure it would have effected my back if I used it longer. The limited upper fret access bothered me as well, but in the end it was all about the weight. Think my Agile was 10 lbs. I love the way LPs look, but I just don't think they are meant for me.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I bought a CV50s tele and I think it ended up heavier than my agile.

I use a reunion blues wool strap and it makes everything pretty comfortable.

I'd also never listened to any buckethead before, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Had to do a lot of wood removal since there was no original rhythm circuit in this body (Modern Player). The sliders work as respective coil split options for each humbucker and the rocker switch is a kill switch.

AVRI trem, Gibson humbuckers, and decent new pots. Going to be a fun little beater. I am trying my hand at cleaning up the fretwork on the Squier VM neck since it's not the greatest.