Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

predicto posted:

Hey, did you get a chance to test out the system and its cooling? I am seeing incredible deals on the Y50 through the B&N link, but cooling really is a huge issue for me. I'm considering getting an ASUS with lesser specs for the same price just to have better cooling.

I didn't want to purposefully completely obstruct the airways for extended periods of time, but I did have it sitting on a not completely flat surface (a leather ottoman, with a cork coaster propping up the back a little) for a bit while gaming, and afterward the bottom surface was warm but by no means uncomfortably hot to the touch. There's also a rubber foot (maybe two? I'm at work now and can't check) that extends horizontally across the bottom that could help keep it slightly off your lap. I believe that it cools via the keyboard (someone reported overheating issues when they were gaming for a long time using a tv as a monitor and storing the laptop closed in the entertainment stand), but I've never felt hot air when using it. Compared to my previous laptop, which blasted hot air out the side and would warm up any glass of water I placed near it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

marjorie posted:

I didn't want to purposefully completely obstruct the airways for extended periods of time, but I did have it sitting on a not completely flat surface (a leather ottoman, with a cork coaster propping up the back a little) for a bit while gaming, and afterward the bottom surface was warm but by no means uncomfortably hot to the touch. There's also a rubber foot (maybe two? I'm at work now and can't check) that extends horizontally across the bottom that could help keep it slightly off your lap. I believe that it cools via the keyboard (someone reported overheating issues when they were gaming for a long time using a tv as a monitor and storing the laptop closed in the entertainment stand), but I've never felt hot air when using it. Compared to my previous laptop, which blasted hot air out the side and would warm up any glass of water I placed near it.

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it!

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo
$900-1000 Yoga - this is a fantastic "convertable" laptop and has gotten great reviews. Comes in Yoga 11, Yoga 13, Yoga 2 Pro (13.3"), Thinkpad Yoga (12.5") flavors.

Should be

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo
$900-1000 Yoga - this is a fantastic "convertable" laptop and has gotten great reviews. Comes in Yoga 11, Yoga 13, Yoga 2 Pro (13.3"), Thinkpad Yoga (12.5", 14" and 15") flavors.

Other then that the new OP is fantastic, especially the laptop megathread chart of psuedoscience, i love that chart. :)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've got kind of a weird situation. My company has a benefit scheme where you can get a free laptop out of a very limited selection. There doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to the selection, and from googling most of them don't seem especially good. You can see all of them here - http://www.computingscheme.co.uk/store/laptops

I'm betting some of the more expensive ones aren't bad, but I'm a bit reluctant to go for them because of the way it's "paid off". Every month I work there more of it is paid off by the company, but if I leave or get fired (either of which might happen) then I have to pay the remainder myself. But anyway, I basically just want to know which (if any) of these would be worth getting. Obviously the Macbook is an option if they're all terrible. Please help me goons

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you don't need crazy power get the Air, otherwise maybe look at one of the MSI GS models imo

Hace fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 23, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The MSI "Dominator Pro" is okay but bulky as poo poo. The Ghost Pro 4K is pretty good as well, and it's 15 inches with a decent GPU and (obviously) a great screen.

Downside is they're both very very expensive.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

USDA Choice posted:

I've never seen the Lenovo outlet this depleted. Is this a natural part of their inventory cycle or did they make some fundamental change to it?

Just taking a stab at this again if anyone had seen relevant news or anything. Used to always be 100+ models, now it's hovering in the teens.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Iron Rose posted:

The MSI "Dominator Pro" is okay but bulky as poo poo. The Ghost Pro 4K is pretty good as well, and it's 15 inches with a decent GPU and (obviously) a great screen.

Downside is they're both very very expensive.

They could always just get one of the cheaper models

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hace posted:

If you don't need crazy power get the Air, otherwise maybe look at one of the MSI GS models imo
What about the GP models? They were the first ones I considered as they seem to still be more powerful than all the others in their price range, but I've honestly never heard of MSI and I know people laugh at "gaming laptops"

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!

schmagekie posted:

I just ordered an XPS 13; the $999 one with 8GB. I was able to save 12% with my AAA membership, so definitely check out aaa.com/dell if this applies to you.

Microsoft also does 10% discounts for educational partners and some businesses. I work in academia and got 10% off my XPS 13 w/ the 3200x1800 touch screen, 8GB RAM/256GB SSD. Just went to the mall and picked mine up. I probably could have saved slightly more money by waiting but gently caress it I have been enjoying my new laptop for the last week.

Apok fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 23, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Paperhouse posted:

What about the GP models? They were the first ones I considered as they seem to still be more powerful than all the others in their price range, but I've honestly never heard of MSI and I know people laugh at "gaming laptops"

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-GP60-i740M245FD-Notebook.106525.0.html

This is an older model, but this one seems to have a loud-rear end fan, not a great screen and questionable build quality.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are the "Under $300" options in the OP still good choices? Asus X205 and/or HP Stream 11?

My mother has an old desktop that's starting to get a little unreliable and, since she has Windows Vista, can't run Office 365 which she wants. It won't be used for anything other than internet browsing, Microsoft Word/Excel, and some kind of tax software like Turbo Tax or Quicken or something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Aranan posted:

Are the "Under $300" options in the OP still good choices? Asus X205 and/or HP Stream 11?
Those were added to the OP like less than a week ago.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Less than 36 hours ago

There's even a big infographic saying "current as of march 2015" in big sparkly letters

fake edit: it says may 2015 but you get the point

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Flipperwaldt posted:

Those were added to the OP like less than a week ago.

Awesome, thank you. I'll let her know about them. Gotta love being tech support when across the country.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Has anyone had trouble with the Intel HD Graphics control panel on Thinkpads (I'm on a recently bought T440) here?
The problem I'm currently facing is that I cannot disable the video profiles under graphics options -> profiles. One of the profiles, be it either Brighten Video, Darken Video or Enhance Video Colors is always selected and goes into effect when I switch to fullscreen in anything, flash video, video players, etc.

I've tried returning to default graphics settings via hotkey, resetting the graphics settings manually, creating new profiles with default graphics settings, the lot, but I simply can't get out of one of those three profiles. Between them, I can happily switch around, but they're all poo poo and useless and while I can find some errors with the HD Graphics control panel via Google, I can't find my exact error.

Another thing is that every other option in the graphics control panel dropdown menu displays a little check when activated, except for the profiles:

Any ideas?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

marjorie posted:

Compared to my previous laptop, which blasted hot air out the side and would warm up any glass of water I placed near it.
I can also attest to this. My Alienware M11X from a few years back was a furnace after playing any semi-modern game for an hour or so with the machine on a hard surface. The Lenovo Y50 I can use with it resting on a duvet and play one of the Batman games for 5 hours without it even feeling warm to the touch (on any side of it)

Bonus note about the shitness of the trackpad since I'm here - I was just playing an indie game that uses keyboard and mouse, and attempting to click shortly after pressing a key doesn't work with the trackpad, but works fine with a plugged in mouse. I remember turning off some sort of "protect from handprint" setting to make it not do that some time back, but apparently that un-setting doesn't work in every context. There's been a couple of games with this weird behavior but this was the first one where it made the game impossible. If only the trackpad had some actual goddamn buttons!

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Just curious, do Apple laptops still throttle down the CPU when you're plugged in, instead of using the battery?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Couldn't bring myself to go Chromebook for school; just pulled the trigger on an XPS 13 (i5, 8gb, 128gb, no touch). Can't wait!

Thanks for the heads-up about the AAA discount. I'll post a follow-up when it arrives.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

AgentCow007 posted:

Couldn't bring myself to go Chromebook for school; just pulled the trigger on an XPS 13 (i5, 8gb, 128gb, no touch). Can't wait!

Thanks for the heads-up about the AAA discount. I'll post a follow-up when it arrives.

It's supposed to be really awesome. If I were looking for a 13in machine, I'd get that exact model.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Lenovo X1 Carbon (3rd Gen) vs T450s vs XPS 13?

X1 3rd = i5-5200u / 8gb / 128gb / 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080 IPS) with WWAN
T450s = i5-5200u / 8gb / 128gb / 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080 IPS) with WWAN

$935 for either Lenovo , $999 for XPS 13 with also the same specs, or $1299 for XPS 13 with QHD without discount.

So, basically, do you guys prefer the T450s to the X1 or the XPS, and is QHD worth +300 dollars (as in, is it supported by most applications?)

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 25, 2015

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
I have a Yoga 2 pro with the 3200x1800 screen, and honestly if I could have the exact same machine with a 1080p screen, I'd take it. High res is gorgeous, but enough applications have scaling issues that I find myself running it at 1600x900 a lot of the time.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
I ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12 this weekend, so when i get it in 1-3 weeks, would anyone be interested in a few words about it?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sir Pukesalot posted:

I ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12 this weekend, so when i get it in 1-3 weeks, would anyone be interested in a few words about it?
Think my wife's one is arriving tomorrow (it's been in about 6 different countries since last week).

I am also up for answering questions about it since I think subjective feel is really important in convertibles with the hinge, size as tablet etc.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
For those asking about gaming laptops, I went with the one recommended in this article: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/. I was going to wait a little while to buy it but my wife bought.it for me as a surprise grad school graduation gift. Once I've had a chance to put it through its paces I'll give an update.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
I'm looking to pickup a laptop for work (Word, Photoshop, etc.) but wouldn't mind playing some Europa IV or CK2 on break. I haven't bought a laptop in 8 years so I'm definitely out of the loop and can't make much sense of the OP recommendations. I know I'm not really looking for something to help me pull off those sweet headshots though.

The Lenovo Y50 (i5-4200H 2.8GHz + GTX 860M) seems close to what I'm looking for apart from the bloatware I heard about. It seems good in terms of resolution and processor speed compared to most of what I've browsed through. Is there an alternative worth considering? Is the i7 version worth considering? I opted for an i5 over i7 for my desktop so I assumed it's the same benefit here.

After hearing about the bloatware I swore off Lenovo and decided to go with Asus or someone else, but after reading up on laptop options I'm not so sure.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

For those asking about gaming laptops, I went with the one recommended in this article: thewirecutter.com

Holy SEO optimized article batman, that copypasta was painful to read, did you actually read it? I counted the same paragraph pasted three different times throughout the article. I've never heard of that site before.

Article says the Asus GL551 (the laptop mentioned in the article) has the same performance but they didn't like the screen of the Y50 - which screen did they compare against? The Y50 has had a number of screen upgrades lately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You've never heard of the Wirecutter? It's a pretty popular website.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got a Yoga 2 Pro (13.3") based on this thread. It better good!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Hadlock posted:

Holy SEO optimized article batman, that copypasta was painful to read, did you actually read it? I counted the same paragraph pasted three different times throughout the article.

Really? Which one?

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I'm looking to pickup a laptop for work (Word, Photoshop, etc.) but wouldn't mind playing some Europa IV or CK2 on break. I haven't bought a laptop in 8 years so I'm definitely out of the loop and can't make much sense of the OP recommendations. I know I'm not really looking for something to help me pull off those sweet headshots though.

The Lenovo Y50 (i5-4200H 2.8GHz + GTX 860M) seems close to what I'm looking for apart from the bloatware I heard about. It seems good in terms of resolution and processor speed compared to most of what I've browsed through. Is there an alternative worth considering? Is the i7 version worth considering? I opted for an i5 over i7 for my desktop so I assumed it's the same benefit here.

After hearing about the bloatware I swore off Lenovo and decided to go with Asus or someone else, but after reading up on laptop options I'm not so sure.

I recently got a T450s and while I can't say that the Y50 will be the exact same process, it was a breeze to do a full clean re-install of Windows 8.1 on it. You need a 4gb+ usb Flash drive (mine was 8gb, but I believe 4gb is fine) and a few hours to spend installing it and grabbing whatever programs you want.

As far as i5 vs i7, unless you are planning to do something that's very CPU intensive and don't have access to a desktop for that work, there's no real reason to go above i5. If you have a huge budget than why not max everything, but otherwise it's an upgrade that you won't likely need.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Thinkpad Yoga 12 got here a day early:

Pretty impressed with it so far. The chassis is stiff and the hinge seems solid. The mechanism that makes the keys recede when in tablet mode is clever, although you can still feel them a bit if you're holding the device up. I think the keys have a bit less travel than other models due to the mechanism. It's still a better keyboard than most laptops.

The included stylus is pretty crappy, so I expect we'll buy another Wacom compatible one soon - can anyone recommend one? I'd also like recommendations for free graphics software that works well with Wacom stuff. I tried Krita, but the pen calibration was way off.

The screen is really bright and the colours seem great, although there's some light bleed along one of the edges (only really visible when looking at dark scenes) and the DPI scaling on lots of apps can't even handle 1080p at 12" properly, including the Wacom pen app. I'd also prefer some more vertical space so the aspect ratio would fit better with A4 documents, since it'll frequently be used to mark up PDFs and so on.

It's a lot thinner and sexier than I expected, though still a bit too heavy and cumbersome to replace an ipad or whatever. The tablet mode will work great in certain contexts - same with the tent mode.

If anyone is thinking of buying one of these and has questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 25, 2015

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

First time visiting this thread. OP says generally, but how often does the B&N Gold site have their sales? I'm definitely interested in one of the Thinkpads, but don't want to jump into anything on the last day of the sale...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

The included stylus is pretty crappy, so I expect we'll buy another Wacom compatible one soon - can anyone recommend one?

This one

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Manket posted:

First time visiting this thread. OP says generally, but how often does the B&N Gold site have their sales? I'm definitely interested in one of the Thinkpads, but don't want to jump into anything on the last day of the sale...

There's always some "ENDS SOON" sale going on. Just jump in when the price is right for you.

Lenovo is worse that a used car lot with hype and MSRP.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Which gaming laptop would be better? The difference between these 2 seems to be basically 128 GB SSD/GTX860M vs No SSD/GTX960M for the same price and I can't decide because I don't know anything about computers apparantly :downs:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs70-stealth-i7-4720hq-5c-105867-1202.htm
http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-ge70-apache-pro-i7-c0-106657-1202.htm

Maybe the former is better because it comes with a free gift!

Free to Play ($150 IN-GAME Currency FOR: Strife War Thunder Infinite Crisis) *NVIDIA Promo Only* (a $149.99 value!)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hirez posted:

Which gaming laptop would be better? The difference between these 2 seems to be basically 128 GB SSD/GTX860M vs No SSD/GTX960M for the same price and I can't decide because I don't know anything about computers apparantly :downs:

Free to Play ($150 IN-GAME Currency FOR: Strife War Thunder Infinite Crisis) *NVIDIA Promo Only* (a $149.99 value!)

What do you want to do with it?

Generally they use trash games to bundle with a laptop. What made you choose the MSI?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
No specific reason, those seemed the best on the NCIX weekly sale for around $1500~ which is the most I want to spend, and not a fan of ASUS/Dell's from past laptops falling apart and stuff. (and I was joking about that gift thing, yea I know its a joke and probably not even worth $10 :P )

It'd generally be stationary just to play games at work/home and what not. MSI just seemed like a decently reviewed brand.

vvv yea that's what I'm leaning, can always just grab a SSD to throw in to balance that part out

Hirez fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 26, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Hirez posted:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs70-stealth-i7-4720hq-5c-105867-1202.htm
http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-ge70-apache-pro-i7-c0-106657-1202.htm

Personal opinion is to go with the the GTX960M. Its a pretty big jump in capability from an 860M to a 960M (or so I've been lead to believe). At any rate I'd always be biased towards getting the newer graphics card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
A buddy of mine is tired of his POS computer and wants to spend $300-$400 on a decent laptop. He's just gonna use it for your typical browsing and such. Nothing crazy. Any particular recommendations?

With HDMI.

89 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 26, 2015