Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'm not interested in them breeding, really. But in terms of the tank, there's a submarine fish hide thing and some rocks and plants (an elodea bunch and some fake ones), as well as those moss balls. I think they're all good for hiding places!

When it comes to cherries, it's either they breed or you're buying new shrimp every two months. Honestly cheaper just to entice them to breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
Travel tips, anyone?

Recently relocated 9 hrs from my hometown in Nebraska and am looking to bring the tanks. One is an acrylic 10-gallon with neons and guppies and the other is a 30-gallon on a fishless cycle that I'm obviously less worried about.

a) Looking for a best practice to transport the fish in the 10-gallon while minimizing trauma and keeping my bacterial colony intact
b) Obviously, I will need to re-cylce the 30-gallon tank with the tap water in Denver, but will I be able to keep the film on my filters to append the process?

Thanks everyone!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The night's better pics. Plants are still growing in/recovering, but it feels nice to have a tank that doesn't look like poo poo anymore. Also, is that a common Zebra Nerite pattern? I don't think I've ever seen one with so thin of lines before.

Zebra Nerite:

Male Krib:

Male Krib/Platy/Hopeful SAE candidate:

SAE/Plants:

Center tank, and of course the Male Krib:

Black Devil Spike Snail playing with its friend, a Malaysian Trumpet Snail:

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 25, 2015

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DornerHorse posted:

Travel tips, anyone?

Recently relocated 9 hrs from my hometown in Nebraska and am looking to bring the tanks. One is an acrylic 10-gallon with neons and guppies and the other is a 30-gallon on a fishless cycle that I'm obviously less worried about.

a) Looking for a best practice to transport the fish in the 10-gallon while minimizing trauma and keeping my bacterial colony intact
b) Obviously, I will need to re-cylce the 30-gallon tank with the tap water in Denver, but will I be able to keep the film on my filters to append the process?

Thanks everyone!

What sort of filtration is on the 10g? At the very least you're going to want a 5g bucket, a battery operated air pump, some tubing, and an air stone. If you can rig it so the air stone keeps water moving around your filter media, so much the better, but you can pretty much give it a quick rinse and dump it in the bucket with the fish. Don't feed for a couple of days before the move, and do a 20-25% water change a bit before you move fish water to the bucket.

You'll also need a second container for your 10g substrate and decorations, preferably also filled with tank water. And then a third container, for 30g substrate and filter media and water.

And then, upon arrival, you get to acclimate your bacterial colonies in the substrate and filter media to the new water, as well as your fish.

Which, if you've done this right, you're starting with at least 5g of original water from the 10g, and hopefully enough bacteria to keep things from crashing while you slowly add in new water and slowly raise the temp back to where it should be. So put your substrate and whatnot back in along with the water you transported it in, dump in as much water as you can from the fish container, set up the filter, get the heater going, and get the fish in. Depending on how low the water temp is, you may want to keep an eye on how quickly it's heating up. Aim for about a 1 Fahrenheit an hour increase. I'd probably start adding new water once the temps are good, about a half gallon at a time, once every half hour to hour.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Desert Bus posted:

What sort of filtration is on the 10g? At the very least you're going to want a 5g bucket, a battery operated air pump, some tubing, and an air stone. If you can rig it so the air stone keeps water moving around your filter media, so much the better, but you can pretty much give it a quick rinse and dump it in the bucket with the fish. Don't feed for a couple of days before the move, and do a 20-25% water change a bit before you move fish water to the bucket.

You'll also need a second container for your 10g substrate and decorations, preferably also filled with tank water. And then a third container, for 30g substrate and filter media and water.

And then, upon arrival, you get to acclimate your bacterial colonies in the substrate and filter media to the new water, as well as your fish.

Which, if you've done this right, you're starting with at least 5g of original water from the 10g, and hopefully enough bacteria to keep things from crashing while you slowly add in new water and slowly raise the temp back to where it should be. So put your substrate and whatnot back in along with the water you transported it in, dump in as much water as you can from the fish container, set up the filter, get the heater going, and get the fish in. Depending on how low the water temp is, you may want to keep an eye on how quickly it's heating up. Aim for about a 1 Fahrenheit an hour increase. I'd probably start adding new water once the temps are good, about a half gallon at a time, once every half hour to hour.

I actually was going to post a similar question soon, but I'm just going to be moving across town in a month or so; any issue with just draining out 2/3 of the water in a tank and putting it in the back seat of my car for the ~30 min drive with everything still in it? Should I store the water I drain and put it back in when I arrive? I don't think it'll be too traumatic, and the tank is heavily planted and don't want to pull everything and transfer the critters to a separate container if it's not necessary. TIA

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DornerHorse posted:

Travel tips, anyone?

Thanks everyone!

I'll echo most of what was said above me, but I'll say that I've always kept my substrate and everything not fish in the tank when I moved it. I just filled a 5 gallon bucket with tank water and my fish and ran my air pump on an inverter in the car. I've done this with a 20 gallon at least 10 times and I've never lost a fish doing it. I left a couple gallons of water in the tank and cycled that for about 24 hours to get the bacteria distributed. I'd leave room to add back some of the tank water from the fish bucket and then add my fish. Most of my moves were only about an hour drive, but I drove from Michigan to Florida doing this once as well.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My main thing is basically wanting as little weight in the tank during transport to help cut down on flexing of the seams and glass.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
When I moved, I drained all the water out of my 36 gallon tank and removed any decorations and plants, but I left the substrate in. I think you could probably get away with leaving some water in a smaller tank (I did this with a 10 gallon before with no issues), but I wouldn't feel safe risking it with a larger one due to the added weight of the water and everything else.

I've only ever moved short distances, but my next move will likely be across states, so it's kind of good this came up now and that the advice given is pretty much exactly what I was already thinking of doing! Every time I think tearing the tank down and giving away or selling everything would be easier, I realize I couldn't actually bring myself to do that, so everything is just going to have to come with me even if it is a giant pain in the rear end.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Is there any reason I can't use the filter media from a brackish tank to help start a freshwater tank?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Gibbo posted:

Is there any reason I can't use the filter media from a brackish tank to help start a freshwater tank?

All of the bacteria will die from osmotic shock.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Can I start it brackish and dial it back to fresh then?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's the same bacteria for marine and freshwater so it might work if you slowly acclimate? Source: wikipedia

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Can I start it brackish and dial it back to fresh then?

People acclimate fish from fresh to brackish or salt, or salt to brackish or fresh, or brackish to fresh or salt pretty regularly. It takes months of tiny increases or decreases in salt levels and the results are often less than stellar.

You would spend less time and less effort just doing a fish-less cycle from scratch, I think.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I moved the betta out and got 4 celestial pearl danios and about 20 red cherry shrimps. The CPDs are not shy at all and started eating the second day. I hope that the shrimp will reproduce enough to feed the CPDs.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Your CPD's probably won't eat the shrimp. I have two schools of CPD's bought from different people and they both prefer flake food. That's 20 of them and have never seen then once make a move on them. Same goes for the Cardinal Tetras and everything else in my 55 minus the German Blue who I have seen chase shrimplets once or twice but that is only because they were stupid enough to get in her face.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Newbie questions incoming. A few weeks back we got a 4 gallon tank and right now have a female betta and 2 ghost shrimp (the other three died probably because we didn't do a fishless cycle beforehand). We decided we were enjoying it enough to go out and upgrade to a 10 gallon, doing the fishless cycle this time and not stocking until it is complete. We are also still struggling with ammonia levels in the 4 gallon despite doing daily to every other day 25% water changes, and cutting down on the amount of food given.

So on to the questions: first, for the 10 gallon, should we try to use media from the 4 gallon which is not cycled yet, or do we accept some from my best friend who had an established tank (more than a year) but who has a lot of mts so we would most likely be getting those for sure if we do. Are there any other options we are not thinking of? Will doing the fishless cycling mentioned in the op with the pure ammonia be enough by itself or do we still need the media from the established tank? Will we regret introducing the mts knowingly?

With respects to the 4g, is there anything else we should be doing besides the water changes and the fluval biological enhancer that we got from the LFS?
Thank you!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fuzz Feets posted:

So on to the questions: first, for the 10 gallon, should we try to use media from the 4 gallon which is not cycled yet, or do we accept some from my best friend who had an established tank (more than a year) but who has a lot of mts so we would most likely be getting those for sure if we do. Are there any other options we are not thinking of? Will doing the fishless cycling mentioned in the op with the pure ammonia be enough by itself or do we still need the media from the established tank? Will we regret introducing the mts knowingly?

With respects to the 4g, is there anything else we should be doing besides the water changes and the fluval biological enhancer that we got from the LFS?
Thank you!

I really hate mts, so would definitely pass on that media if it were me. Some people like them for some crazy reason though. Just know that once you get them, they aren't going anywhere.

Stick with the fishless cycle on your 10g, and don't bother using media from the 4g. You can use pure ammonia if you have it on hand, otherwise I've always cycled my tanks by "ghost feeding" a pinch of flake food every couple of days until it was cycled. What are you using for filtration?

Keep up the daily 1g water changes on your 4g tank. Until you are testing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, it isn't cycled yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was cleaning my 10 gallon tank today and I found a lone guppy fry. I don't have another tank to seclude him/her (how do I even tell what it is?) in so I'm wondering what a cheap way to keep it alive is. I get paid tomorrow so I'll be able to get something from Walmart or Petsmart. Unfortunately I live in Bumfuck, Ohio and I don't know any real pet stores near me.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Buy one of those breeder containers that attach to the inside of your aquarium made of netting. They don't cost much and will save you having to get a separate aquarium to tend to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

demonR6 posted:

Buy one of those breeder containers that attach to the inside of your aquarium made of netting. They don't cost much and will save you having to get a separate aquarium to tend to.

Picked one up yesterday and while I was trying to find the fucker this morning I found him and a second. I have two now! I am irrationality excited about this. I hope ones a male since my last of the original three male fish died a week ago leaving me with a tank of females.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Heres a pic from the other side, the outside of the house. I set the tank up so the plants would get most of their light from the window so it looks better when viewed from outside, duh.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Help me goons. I'm in the process of piecing together a 40g breeder but I can't for the life of me decide what fish I actually want to keep. It's a sand bottom so I'm thinking that I want to keep cories (8-12 would do) along with a couple of German Blue Rams, but past that I'm stuck. Any ideas for a centerpiece fish or 2 (GBRs are cool but I'd like a bigger centerpiece fish), along with maybe some sort of school? I'm not a fan of the typical Angelfish/Tetras/Rasboras.

I was also considering an African Cichlid tank (I like colorful fish) but I know nothing about them and how to properly stock a cichlid tank. If anyone has a basic stocking list for african cichlids I'd definitely consider doing that.

And no, sadly, saltwater isn't an option. I'd love to do it but can't afford that expense right now.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

What about some kind of gourami? As far as I know they can handle similar water conditions to your other listed fish, and won't mind the warm temperature that your rams will like. Some cories on the other hand seem to prefer it cooler so thats something to watch for. Banded gourami, pearl gourami, dwarf gourami and three spot gourami all look like pretty fish to me and there are more gourami to choose from depending on your tastes but aside from that I don't know that much about them. I'm torn between sticking to my original plan of setting up my new tank for pygmy cories or whether to get some sparkling gourami instead so I've been doing some reading. Planning a tank is hard!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Pearl Gourami could work, thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Pygmy cories: I've been keeping them in my 10g tank for almost a year but I'm kind of disappointed by them. For the first few weeks they were super active and would sleep out on the plants, etc. But since they got comfortable in the tank and found hiding places, they tend not to come out unless it's feeding time. There's nothing in the tank for them to be afraid of - it just seems to be their personality (in my experience anyway).

edit: Here's my current thinking for stock -

Comments? Suggestions? I still need to add a school of something to fill in the mid/top water level.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 28, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Actually thats not the first time I've heard that about pygmy cories, I was hoping the first time I heard it that the guy was just unlucky. I'd rather have non-hidey fish so maybe I could try panda cories? I've heard they stay pretty small. My other option is to just give up on small cories and try some other small species that would fit in a Fluval Spec V. Trouble is, a lot of the small sized fish are active swimmers and need more room to move so I'm slowly trying to compile a list of "lazy" fish that don't need so much swimming space. I've had a few ideas for livestock (ie dwarf orange crayfish, anchor catfish) that I've had to give up on since they are prohibited here. My last idea is to get more shrimp, maybe some Darwin rednose shrimp or chameleon/ninja shrimp since at least they aren't going to be that bothered by the small tank.

Your stock list looks cool - pretty busy on the bottom with all the catfish and loaches. I have no idea what would work as a top level school though, maybe cherry barbs? Not sure if they stay high or go all over the place like my rosy barbs do. Edited to add - nope they hang mid to low.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 28, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Have you considered candy cane tetras? I've got a dozen in a 40g and they are way more interesting than any other tetras I've kept before.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

I really hate mts, so would definitely pass on that media if it were me. Some people like them for some crazy reason though. Just know that once you get them, they aren't going anywhere.

Stick with the fishless cycle on your 10g, and don't bother using media from the 4g. You can use pure ammonia if you have it on hand, otherwise I've always cycled my tanks by "ghost feeding" a pinch of flake food every couple of days until it was cycled. What are you using for filtration?

Keep up the daily 1g water changes on your 4g tank. Until you are testing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, it isn't cycled yet.

Well the 10g is using the tetra pf-10 that came with the kit at the moment. We did some looking at the lfs here today and according to the stocking plan it looks like we will need to upgrade to something like an aqueon quiet flow 10 maybe? We are going to keep the female betta In the 4g tank. Here's the plan for the 10g does it look feasible if we upgrade filters, or should we forget about the dwarf gourami?

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Blue Rams bred again. Snatched the egg-covered leaf out of the tank as soon as they were done before the bristlenose could get to it and put it in a separate tank.

Not THIS time, terror pleco.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Do any fish do ok at ambient temps >80? Only tank I have left is a small fluval and would like to put something in it but socal and no central AC means it can get fairly warm. I have a chiller but putting a 300W chiller on a 12 gallon tank is just gonna look unsightly and probably need way too much water movement.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

aerialsilks posted:

Oops, sorry, I missed this. Unless you're getting a very young molly fry-sized Badis, no. Bumblebee Gobies don't have big enough mouths for any of the Badis I've seen in stores. For what it's worth, too, even just putting some salt in the water will keep the goby content for a decent amount of time, but they will definitely do better in brackish regardless. Mine generally lived about 8-12 months or so, unfortunately.

Thanks for this. I've read several accounts claiming they've survived years in freshwater tanks happily, so I'll figure out exactly what I want to do with them soon. In the meantime, both of them have doubled in size since I bought them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Gillingham posted:

Do any fish do ok at ambient temps >80?

I've discovered the seriouslyfish.com knowledgebase has an advanced search which lets you pick things like temperatures, minimum recommended tank size, pH and so on to get a list of compatible fish. No guarantees that they will be commonly available aquarium fish though!

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

Gillingham posted:

Do any fish do ok at ambient temps >80? Only tank I have left is a small fluval and would like to put something in it but socal and no central AC means it can get fairly warm. I have a chiller but putting a 300W chiller on a 12 gallon tank is just gonna look unsightly and probably need way too much water movement.

Most warm/tropical community fish can deal or even like temps that high. My ram tank is at 83 right now.

Betta would be fabulously happy in that.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

I've discovered the seriouslyfish.com knowledgebase has an advanced search which lets you pick things like temperatures, minimum recommended tank size, pH and so on to get a list of compatible fish. No guarantees that they will be commonly available aquarium fish though!
Wow that search is rad, I have pretty hard water too so that may be doubly useful.

aerialsilks posted:

Most warm/tropical community fish can deal or even like temps that high. My ram tank is at 83 right now.

Betta would be fabulously happy in that.
Betta is an idea, maybe just a simple tank since it is only 12g

Thanks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been meaning to post this for a bit but it always seems like :effort: but all the kids are watching Peter Pan right now and I'm bored. Here's my tank

I need to add more water before I leave tonight since it always loses a bunch over the weekend for some reason. You can kind of make out the two babies in the net. Any comments? I'm working on the algae problem and it's getting better but still kind of bad. The plants are live and I hope I put them in right. They're just kind of in the gravel but I don't know if that's correct either.

Fishwise I have five female guppies, a catfish, three male guppies, the two guppy fry, and eight ghost shrimp. The lady at the pet shop said I wasn't overcrowding yet but I don't plan to but anymore.

Edit: Jesus looking at that in a browser my phone takes unnecessarily large pictures.

Len fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 30, 2015

stfu salad
Feb 28, 2005

"I created the universe, the automobile, and even your father's narrow urethra!"
So...I've decided to get into the shrimp ingredients business. At least starting out basic enough before considering a 5g yellow shrimp tank in the bedroom.

Currently been working on the following 10g for a few weeks. Managed to get an awesome deal on the Java Moss at my LPS this weekend while getting an assassin snail for the 36g bow front.

Currently have 10 Red Cherries coming from The Shrimp Farm as a trial.

Any recommendations on the RCS I may have overlooked? Also, good 5g setups?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Looks like my hockey stick tetras have spawned again, and unlike last time when snails ate the eggs I actually saw a tiny hatched fry but in the few seconds it took me to get the breeder box set up they'd eaten it and probably all the other fry too. I had a heater for them this time which I think may have helped a successful hatching to happen. I'm not specifically trying to breed them but if I manage to raise a few more I will be able to move them to the big tank where hopefully they will be better behaved in numbers, or at least keep their squabbling to themselves.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

-Inu- posted:

Here's my current thinking for stock -

So I still haven't decided on a school but I'm thinking about adding a single Redtail Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor) to this list. Anyone have experience with them? I hear they can kind of be assholes, but would it bother the other fish, or are they mostly just territorial towards other Redtails? I don't want the poor Cories or Gourami to get picked on.

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
Hey fish thread! I currently have a 70L (19 gallons I think?) tank with seven x Neon Tetras, five x Guppies, and a small colony of Red Cherry Shrimp. I inherited the tank from my friend, who was upgrading to an African Cichlid tank, and it is my first tank.

I was wondering, would adding four Peppered Cories overstock my tank? My friend used to have three of them, and I fell in love with their quirky mannerisms before a Dwarf Gourami killed them all. I would love to have more back in the tank, but I do not want to overload my tank, given its limited capacity. In addition, if the Cories could be added, how many more fish will I be able to add in afterwards?

somebodyelse fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 31, 2015

stfu salad
Feb 28, 2005

"I created the universe, the automobile, and even your father's narrow urethra!"

somebodyelse posted:

Hey fish thread! I currently have a 70L (19 gallons I think?) tank with seven x Neon Tetras, five x Guppies, and a small colony of Red Cherry Shrimp. I inherited the tank from my friend, who was upgrading to an African Cichlid tank, and it is my first tank.

I was wondering, would adding four Peppered Cories overstock my tank? My friend used to have three of them, and I fell in love with their quirky mannerisms before a Dwarf Gourami killed them all. I would love to have more back in the tank, but I do not want to overload my tank, given its limited capacity. In addition, if the Cories could be added, how many more fish will I be able to add in afterwards?

Check out the calculator on http://aqadvisor.com and try to shoot for no more than 80% (at least in my opinion). Sounds like you're running closet over stocking. What kind of filtration are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Turns out all my shrimp were alive in my filter. They have gotten larger. Put a metal mesh over it. Had one round with ich, and only lost an oto. So my tank is doing better then I thought. Melted a few cabombas. Trimmed them and replanted. My dwarf hair grass is starting to spread out though even in my tanks crappy light. My anubias is putting up new shoots, and I got two java ferns. My next object to tackle is to deal with the growing number of snails that seemed to have arrived with my java ferns.

Starting to like this hobby, now I want to go from a 6g to a 20g.

Krataar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 31, 2015